Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:02:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: website with disclosure laws  (Read 4882 times)

Offline tippytu

website with disclosure laws
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
Can anyone point me to a reputable website with state laws regarding disclosures to drs & physicians... thanks
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:02:57 pm by Jeff G »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: website wuth disclosure laws
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:32:19 pm »
I am not aware of anY law that demands that you disclose your HIV status to a physician of any sort.

It boggles my mind why anyone would withhold pertinent information from a healthcare professional, however. Could you elaborate?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:40:06 pm »
I agree with Jonathan -- physicians take standardized precautions under the assumption that all patients can possibly have HIV. But from the patient's point of view it's to your utmost advantage for the physician to be aware of any and medical conditions you currently have, as well as the medications you take for it.

You're really messing with potential pitfalls by withholding this sort of information from your physician. If you are uncomfortable disclosing fully such medical information (maybe you live in a small town, or you are seeing a family doctor that you know personally over many years of care) then my advice would be to seek out a new doctor and start fresh with someone with whom you will not have this fear of medical disclosure.

It's a really important issue, especially long-term seeing as how you will be dealing with this issue for decades.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Habersham

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:42:24 pm »
WUTH!
Because I Can

Offline tippytu

Re: website with disclosure laws
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »
I meant with...sorry I am tired...I have to have corrective plastic surgery .I do not want to disclose & I know all about universal precautions so I dont see why I would need to. However my Id Dr told me it was a misdemeanor to not disclose to physicians of any kind
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:01:24 pm by Jeff G »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »
Why do you not wish to disclose?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tippytu

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »
Because I have already seen the change in attitude someone has when they find out

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »
Because I have already seen the change in attitude someone has when they find out

If a physician shows that he/she has a change in attitude about you for disclosing a medical condition, well, you may not want to be a patient of that physician.

as for whether it is against the law to NOT disclose to a physician -- you'd have to look through your state's laws.  Seems odd to me, however, nothing surprises me when it comes to HIV criminalization.

Mike

Offline tippytu

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »
I cannot switch plastic surgeons he is fixing it for free I will have to pay if I go elsewhere & I can't afford it

Offline Habersham

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 05:31:28 pm »
What's he fixing - your boobs? 
Because I Can

Offline tippytu

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 05:35:43 pm »
As a matter of fact yes. 

Offline Habersham

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »
Two things

If you don't feel comfortable disclosing your status I would be hesitant letting him do surgery.

If he mangled them up the first time I wouldn't give him a second chance. I don't have boobs but if he screwed my nose up I would go to a different surgeon for corrective surgery. Or, just get a really good bra. You're not a stripper.
Because I Can

Offline tippytu

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 05:58:07 pm »
He didn't mess them up they developed scar tissue under them

Offline Habersham

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
Well I'm not a woman and I'm about 15 years older than you. Right now if I had scars behind my ballsac I'd probably just let it be.

That said maybe the ladies should chime in. The thing that worries me is the surgeon's skill in this case and I don't feel qualified to speak to that or his being comfortable with your status.
Because I Can

Offline tippytu

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 06:09:33 pm »
Its not scars its scar tissue inside my boobs under NY implants which has made them hard

Offline Habersham

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 06:13:26 pm »
Tippy - you never seem to tell us the full story which makes it difficult to advise you if at all.

Many of us have seen nightmares about implants. I don't know what to advise you except I would want anyone to know my status before performing major surgery.
Because I Can

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 06:16:03 pm »
Tippytu how is it going generally.  Awhile since you posted.  This challenge about disclosure and stigma has been a constant theme in your posts. Just wondering if you are feeling any better in your situation...
As for disclosure to a doc, I agree with others you should disclose but I don't think is essential..  Its more about taking some power to be HIV+ without apologies or fears, at least in some realms of life.  And health care is one of those..  I remember your reports about the change of attitude. I can only suspect that you DO get some mean and stupid attitude in your situation but what about not letting that hit you so emotionally.  If this doc refuses to do the operation because of such a disclosure, you probably should not give your body over to such a doctor.  And if he/she refuses, there is probably a workaround, eventually.  I just believe there is an instant gain to you, in energy, for just affirming your reality... 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:22:33 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Habersham

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »
mecch is the voice of reason as usual.
Because I Can

Offline tippytu

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:05 pm »
Baby is negative so that is good. I have OK days& I have very bad days..im still going thru a range of emotions.  & actually having to say or write down that I'm HIV + is just something I'm not ready for.

I have always been a very emotionally sensitive person & this has just made it worse

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:19 pm »
I have always been a very emotionally sensitive person & this has just made it worse

Sound more like you are a scared person with much internal guilt over your status.  Both understandable, but neither goes away by hiding.  Disclosing to a doctor should be one of the easier ones (there are exceptions, I'm sure) -- and often we over-interpret other people's reactions to reflect our own internal views of ourselves.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it is hard to accept your new reality if you keep making excuses for it.

Ultimately, it is your call -- good luck with whatever you choose.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.