Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:58:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 513
Total: 515

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Post  (Read 3720 times)

Offline BritishStu

First Post
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:34:22 am »
Hi All,

Just wanted to firstly say what a good site this is. Plenty of useful information and helpful advice. I've read a lot of posts and to just wanted to those that are feeling down, that I believe that one day a cure will be found. The article on Prosatin looked very encouraging. I have a lot of respect for the doctors and scientists out there doing their research.

Anyhow - why am I on here?
Well a year ago now my father aged 61 tested positive. A bit of a shock. Basically what happened, is he developed a dry cough, then thrush in the mouth and lost a lot of weight. He went to 3 doctors and all of them ignored the signs and sent him back home. Then one day he couldn’t breath...thats when he was taken to hospital (in a pretty bad state). The hospital confirmed it was PCP - pretty scary seeing a person in that type of condition, when for the last 30 years etc, he has never been in hospital. He was on drips and oxygen.

Anyhow - he was told that his immune system had been damaged so much that his cd4 count was well below 100. I believe that he was infected by his lady partner, and here is the bad thing “I believe she knew she was positive but did not tell him” My opinion is based on the things that she said to him before they split up. For the time being - I won’t be pursuing this for my fathers benefit, but I have been told that she was sleeping with other men as well. Meanwhile, I do hope she is at least telling her partners of her condition. (This isn’t a dig at the woman - as it takes 2 to tango - but if you know your positive and seek a sexual relationship then do the right thing and be honest and don’t leave things to ‘lady luck’ tell your partner, so he/she can at least make an informed decision.

He started meds straight away , the first lot gave him a reaction, so they changed his meds. .He takes them every day - but sometimes is a bit slack on the timing. E.g. If a doctor told me to take tablets at 10am and 10pm, I would do so on the dot just because of the consequences of not doing do. However reading some of the posts - as long as its each day and not missing dosages, he should be fine.

Since them he goes to the hospital every 3 months. I don’t think his CD4 count has gone past 150, but the doctors have said that this could be due to his age. However, health wise he is in really good condition and doesn’t appear to be suffering from any side effects from the drugs. His attitude towards his condition, is that he has a virus and that is it. He doesn’t use computers etc so is unaware of the other complications that can present themselves. I have to be honest - cause I can use a computer and done lots of research, I’m more nervous than him. Especially when he gets a cough - you automatically think the worse.

For those reading - especially if you’ve been newly diagnosed. The only thing I can say, is that being positive doesn’t mean the end of your life (perhaps I’m not qualified to say that - but based on personal experience, there are a lot worse things out there) and try keep your chins up! My attitude/perception towards the virus has changed. and I think it has helped me to become a better more understanding person and I wish you all well!

I’ll keep posting updates in the future about my father and how he progresses. Thanks for reading.

Offline lylanova

Re: First Post
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:23:41 pm »
Hi!
I'm really sorry for your father... and hope to read he's improving more and more day by day.
I'm a newly diagnosed and... I already completely agree with you... being positive won't be the end of the world, and also it doesn't mean that death is closed.
Anyway, it's encouraging for me to read your words... so... thanks a lot.
Take care.
"And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am "
Iris, Goo Goo Dolls

Diagnosed 02/2010- prob. seroconversion Feb 2007
02/2010 CD4 416 (16%) VL 52.416
03/2010 CD4 362 (16%) VL 102.530
04/2010 CD4 425 (17%) VL 91.245 started Kaletra+Truvada
05/2010 CD4 547 (17.5%) VL 883
07/2010 CD4 335 (18%)    VL 35
09/2010 CD4 646 (??%) VL undetactable !!! yesss

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: First Post
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »
Hi Stu

Reaction to the results of an HIV diagnosis is difffernt for everyone, but over time your Dad will find a way of coping with the virus that suits him, and it might be quite differnt from how others deal with it.

It's not easy and it's ok to get angry or scared but don't let it take over your Dad's life or your's, stress is natural it can actually help some of us get through certain situations but excessive stress can cause your Dad physical symptoms and can damage his immune system further, just find ways for him to manage any stress that he may be feeling, if you want to help teach him how relax and listen to his body...it will tell him what to do.

Along with HIV comes anxiety and one way of tackling this is through information. gaining confidence in
himself and making informed decisions about his future.

Support is very important and he can get this from a qualified ID doctor , family and friend that you both can trust and there are many support organizations out there...just make sure whoever he discuss's this with is sympathetic,supporting and  non judgmental about his HIV status.

Most important of all he has to remember that being HIV+ does not stop him from being the person he was before his dianosis.

If you have any more question's abut your Dada diagnosis then don't hestitate to ask, there is always someone who will be here for you.

Cheers
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.