Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:05:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 677
Total: 678

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Blurry vision in right eye  (Read 9675 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Blurry vision in right eye
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:09:56 pm »
Hello everyone

I have noticed over the past few days that my vision in my right eye has become a bit blurry.  It seems to come and go and gets worse if I am tired or staring at the computer for too long.  I have 20/20 vision (I am the only 31 yo who seems to these days because my eye doctor seems to be so proud of me) so this has me a bit scared.  I noticed that my right nostril is a bit clogged so maybe that is causing pressure or something.

I go for my 3 month on Friday so I will bring it up then, just wondering if any of you have experienced similar issues?

Just some background - Infected in September, Last VL was 26K and Tcells were around 800.  No meds yet.

Thanks

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: Blurry vision in right eye
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:23:00 pm »
Eye sight is something to keep an "eye" on.   I get my eyes check out every 2 years.  And yes, my doc knows my HIV status.   Your eyes could be just strained for being on the boards and work to long...  But its ALWAYS good to have them looked at...  Same as your Dentist.  I am a firm beleiver in letting any of my doctors into my circle of hiv as they know what to look at for...  Your probably just getting old...

Love ;D

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:30:55 am »
Pain pills usually make my eyes blurry. That's the only time I've had problems
Positive since 1985

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:02:23 am »
Hello,
I would contact your ID doctor and ask to be seen by a Opthamologist to be on the safe side. There are some OI's which can found in the eye, CMV retinitis being one of them. Your numbers are really good, so the probability of an infection is low, but better to error on the side of caution.

CMV retinitis can progress fairly quickly, so I would call as soon as possible. It is very treatable if the progression is stopped. A few years ago I noticed floaters, then it seemed like I was looking through a dirty window. I was diagnosed with CMV, and placed on Valcyte which stopped the progression until recently when it became active again. But my numbers are really low-17 tcells.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:46:21 pm »
Hey Confused,
Since your numbers are still really good, it is unlikely the blurred vision is being caused by CMV or other OI-type infections.
I say unlikely, because as soon as I write this, someone will come forward to prove me wrong.

That said, I would tell your doc about it when you see him tomorrow. It could be just a floater, which I get and are hameless but annoying. It could be something else though.

Your eyesight is nothing to mess with. Have your doc take a look and then ask whether you should see an opthamologist (not an optometrist) to be checked out.

If you get a referral from your HIV doc, your health insurance should cover the cost of the opthamologist because it is a medically necessary referral. Some insurance plans and carriers might argue with this, but I have found it has worked for me under several different plans.

Also, depending on where you live, some state programs will cover this type of exam if your HIV doc does the referral.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline thirtysomething

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 12:55:31 am »
Hi Confused,

Your numbers are pretty good and from what I've found out with my little research these past 3 months.. your eyesight might not have anything to do with HIV.. Just try not to stress yourself out and don't sit on computer for too long :-)

Offline patriq4u2

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:06:13 pm »
Aloha and thanks for posting!
I too have been bothered by a bit of "blurriness" in my left eye. It is very unusual in that it is almost like double vision, there is a main image that is clear and a second image just above that looks like a blurry second image like a fringe above the in focus image. And it too was intermittent and some days it was here and other times/days it wasn't.
My eye doctor thought it might be dry eyes so gave me a prescription for over the counter eye drops and they seem to help although I still have a few days a month that the "double vision" appears.
Hope your eyes are better now. And did your ophthalmologist give you a diagnosis?
Aloha!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:59:24 am »
oh my goodness, I hope he's ok. This thread was posted 2 years ago.

but seriously... you might want to start a new thread, since it is an important topic.

Sharkie
(who knows about eye problems personally)

Offline vegaslocal39

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:17 pm »
PeteNYNJ,

Please go to the doctor now.  Not tomorrow.  Now.

My partner came home with a slight headache and blurry vision in one eye.  He had no other symptoms.  I looked up the symptoms on the web and discovered that it could be a stroke.  We went to the emergency room.

It was not a stroke.  But the doctor insisted on doing some MRI's/MRA's (can't remember which) and found an unruptured aneurysm in his brain.  He was able to have surgery to prevent the aneurysm from bursting.  The surgery was difficult and he was in ICU for several days, but he made it.

If he hadn't gone to the ER, he could have died.

Please go now.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »
PeteNYNJ,

Please go to the doctor now.  Not tomorrow.  Now.

My partner came home with a slight headache and blurry vision in one eye.  He had no other symptoms.  I looked up the symptoms on the web and discovered that it could be a stroke.  We went to the emergency room.

It was not a stroke.  But the doctor insisted on doing some MRI's/MRA's (can't remember which) and found an unruptured aneurysm in his brain.  He was able to have surgery to prevent the aneurysm from bursting.  The surgery was difficult and he was in ICU for several days, but he made it.

If he hadn't gone to the ER, he could have died.

Please go now.

please notice the date of the original post  June 21 2006!!!!!

Offline vegaslocal39

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 06:54:40 pm »
Sorry 'bout that.  Perhaps someone else will read it.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:11:20 pm »
wow  blast from the past

yeah - I am fine.  My one eye just tends to get tired quicker then then other.  I have been checked and rechecked.

This was also during my "everything is wrong with me phase". 

Thanks for all those concerned but I think posts that are over a month or two old are considered in the graveyard :)

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 06:41:57 pm »
wow  blast from the past

yeah - I am fine.  My one eye just tends to get tired quicker then then other.  I have been checked and rechecked.

This was also during my "everything is wrong with me phase". 

Thanks for all those concerned but I think posts that are over a month or two old are considered in the graveyard :)

I have this problem with my left eye too - it gets more tired.

When I was 15 years old (and HIV-), I had shingles in that eye. The eyelid just closed and stayed shut. My doctor in France made a house call on sunday morning and diagnosed me. I was grounded from school the next 3 weeks, and it was treated well.

But sometimes I get blurriness / tiredness in that eye again, especially in the last few years since my diagnosis. I saw the eye doctor for it a few months ago. Apparently, despite the bluriness I still passed the test and have 20/20 vision. Pretty amazing after working 10+ hours a day at computers for about 15 years. I just take some drops for dryness now and that seems to help.

I am just responding to this because shingles is another thing for us pozzies to watch for, and it can be pretty bad in the eye if not treated quickly.

Offline Finnboy

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 06:10:49 am »
I have the same thing. I get my eyes tested and I have 20/20 vision; but I actually have a very slight astigmatism (a deformity of the eye). Most people have some degree of astigmatism in at least one eye and never notice it.

My eyes can normally make all adjustments necessary to keep things in focus, but when I get tired (or have been sat in front of my pc for too long) it sometimes becomes an effort and causes blurred vision in one eye (and sometimes causes a headache). In my case it is actually the stronger eye (the one without the astigmatism and doing all the compensating) that gets the blurred vision.

I have a pair of specs that I am supposed to use when it becomes a problem; but, as you'd expect, it has never been a problem since I got them ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.