Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:16:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 234
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: BBC - Radio 2 - Radio Ballads - 2006 Ballads - The Enemy That Lives Within  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Charlie

• uk-charlie.co.nr
BBC - Radio 2 - Radio Ballads - 2006 Ballads - The Enemy That Lives Within

* The Songs
    * Interviews
    * Background
    * Support
    * Credits
    * Have Your Say

The second of the new Radio Ballads concerns people living with HIV/AIDS. Six women and men talk candidly about life with the virus - how they discovered they were HIV-positive, the effect the drugs have on them, and how people react when they disclose their connection with the virus. The ten outstanding original songs inspired by the interviews are personal and poignant, touching on the courage as well as the tragedy, the shame and the prejudice experienced by people living with HIV/AIDS.
Hands

"I'm not just HIV-positive. It's not the sum of what I am: there's a lot more to me than that ..."

The stories featured in this ballad are all highly individual. Cecilia is a Ugandan woman who fled her home country and contracted HIV/AIDS while in the UK; Betty Feldman speaks of her actor son who died of the virus; Ann Marie, a white South African, lost her British husband to the illness then discovered that he'd passed it on to her. Sophie discovered she was HIV-positive on her graduation day and went on to marry her boyfriend, with whom she hopes to have children; Maxwell, a teenage schoolboy in London, has a father who is also HIV-positive and Lynn, in her early twenties, contracted the virus through a blood transfusion.
Sara Parker

"It is impossible to understand the desolation of such a world blighted by the HIV virus unless you have experienced it."

Sara Parker, daughter of original Radio Ballads producer Charles Parker, was the interview-gatherer for this programme; her father's methods and humanity informed her work. The battle to find a cure for HIV/AIDS has been one of the most urgent ongoing areas of medical research in recent years; the support and medicine now available helps prolong patients' lives beyond expectation. This Radio Ballad illustrates some of the issues surrounding the condition.
Karine Polwart

"HIV is a hard thing to write about so I decided to write about the virus as if it was a person."

HAVE YOUR SAY

HIV/AIDS affects millions of people around the world. Do you have a viewpoint, or personal or family experiences that you'd like to share? Send us your comments.

Your Name and Location:

Your Comment:

Catherine from London

This wonderful honest broadcast gave me great comfort knowing that my emotions and feelings are shared by others who are affected by HIV. My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago,our marriage and devotion to each other has never been stronger. It meant so much to me to be able to relate to the feelings and thoughts of the wonderful people who shared their stories. Thank you Radio2 for covering a subject which carries such prejudice and ignorance, and is never given enough media attention. The music was inspiring and very beautiful.

Steve price bradford

This program was absolutly stunning and reduced me to tears several times, these people are absolute heroes with the way they have dealt with their illness and should be held up as models to us all not outcast as some narrow minded people would make them. This should be compulsory listening ot just in schools but to every single person

Lucy Barnes, Nottingham

As a 18 year old student i began listening to the radio ballad as part of research for a geog enquire. I found it most touching andnow feel inspired to try and do some voluntary work with an aids organsiation. I think the subject was presented in a very humanistic approach something that is not often done in a world concerned with facts and figures rather than people. Thankyou.

Megan from sydney australia

I wish to say thank you for giving such a possitive view on the subject. from people who suffer or affect by the virus. I loved the way you put a face to the problem of the virus. people do not seee people with aids as being totaly real people, More like walking dead is how they see them. I hope that this is published and put on cd espically to pass onto schools to spread the message that people are people no matter whath they have. Thank you for making me smile about my Dad who die in 93 of aids.

Ian Opie West Sussex

I just want to congratulate you on such a wonderful programme... I lost friends in the UK in the 80's.......... You have put across all aspects of HIV in such a wonderful format. Well done to everyone concerned with the programme... Will the songs be released on a CD by any chance? Love and Peace Ianx

David from Newport in South Wales

Yippe some one is actually going to say some thing positive about this disgusting dangerous virus that lives with us every day. I love the "Hetros" of this world saying its a gay issue, remember that almost all of the newly reported infections in Wales alone were in "Hetros" - not that i wish to lable the virus, you ask them the "Hetros" what HIV is and they tell you it is AIDS. I congratulate you Radio Ballards and congratulate any one that has the strenght to do two things in life, one is to support the HIV fight and distroy the "labeling" of this virus and two support any one that is willing to take it on and keep it in the public arena and discuss this topic. WELL DONE TO YOU ALL WELL DONE A man living with a HIV man!

Brian, Brighton

My partner was diagnosed with HIV 4 years ago and is now healthier and stronger than ever. He regularly uses the gym and the diagnosis has made him value and maximise his life. I personally would like to mention that while HIV is a very serious condition it is no longer the death sentence it once was. Please celebrate those who dont allow HIV to affect their lives in quality - the people who even though they are affected do not let the virus destroy them.

Download
42MB MP3 60 Mins
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:09:39 am by Charlie »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Hmmm

Close, but no cigar

It is indeed an exceptional offering in terms of UK HIV radio programming, and good to hear some authentic voices which covers the range of emtions, a variety of experiences n types of people, takes in dying in the early days of the epidemic, and is well presented with accuracy, complexity and real human feeling. 

However, I have a serious problem with a publicly-funded radio programme dealing presenting a cross-section of the current UK HIV epidemic where the only queer is a dead queer.  (Then I see which UK charity advised the programme maker's and am not surprised, the same one which turned two of my (now) friends away from their teenage group cos they were, er, gay, not born with the virus. Hmmm)

The songs are folksy n kinda poetic (it is supposed to be a folk-documentary spot, so fair do's) but somewhat morose en masse, prob. not a good listen if your a bit blue/newly dignosed and there are knives in the house. Shame, cos one or two are very good.

Nutha' letter to the Beeb I think...

Thanks for the link Charlie, I missed it, am glad I heard it, no queer voice aside.

- matt

Now playing: Janet Jackson, Together Again [Radio Edit] (need an antidote) ((playing it 3 times, need it))
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.