Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:03:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 372
Total: 373

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hypothetical Question  (Read 20813 times)

Offline ggodfrey04

Re: Hypothetical Question
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2007, 07:25:31 pm »

except for the last 2 questions i didnt ask anything about symptoms.

my question is simple - are there studies that you know of that ARS occurred 9 weeks or more after exposure?

this is for education purposes as well... in fact a lot of info i got here i already shared with friends and planning to continue doing so...

thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2007, 04:40:02 am »
gg,

As a person wouldn't have any idea they are experiencing ARS if they didn't have symptoms, any ARS question is indeed symptom related. Hence Matty's answer.

I've never heard of ARS occuring later than four weeks after infection has taken place. It is VERY important that you and anyone else reading this thread understands that not everyone experiences a noticable ARS. That is one of the big reasons we don't discuss symptoms: to concentrate on symptoms could lead someone who has had a real risk to not test on the basis of not having symptoms. ARS can range from ending up in hospital to not noticing a damn thing. So forget about symptoms and forget about ARS, ok?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ggodfrey04

Regarding STD tests
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2007, 11:01:40 pm »

Hi, I had an STD tests 12 days after exposure, is there a certain window period for other STDs as well?  Or the 12 days is good enough?

Also, it shows 3 results - 1) Chlamydia Screening (non reactive) 2) Syphilis (non reactive) 3) Gram Stain (specimen-urethral discharge, result - no intracellualr and extracellular gram-negative diplococci seen).    The doctor said it was all negative, I didn't notice however at that time about herpes, and other possible stds.  My question is - would those other stds fall on the Gram Stain Tests?  (they basically got blood, urine and sample discharge from penis, i dont know where gram stain fall under).

I was focused on HIV questions that time I failed to check and ask about the std test results.

Thanks.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2007, 10:12:04 am »
Syphilis window is the same as HIV 3 months/13 weeks post exposure.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007, 05:29:04 pm »
Gram Stain Tests are used to pick up on Bacterial infections and are not used for Viral infections...if you want to know why, then I suggest you ask your Doctor.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2007, 05:54:26 am »
gg,

For most of the STIs, ten days to two weeks is fine, except for syphilis which shares a time-frame with hiv as AC already mentioned. However, if a person is indeed infected with syphilis, it will normally show up on the tests sooner - usually by six weeks, just like hiv.

Herpes is a virus and as far as I am aware, this one isn't usually checked for during routine STI panels - mainly because a huge percent of the population will test positive. This test is usually only performed if the patient is having herpes-like lesions or if the test is specifically requested.

And just to remind you, this is an hiv website and you did not have a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ggodfrey04

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:44 am »

Thanks Ann, do you think i have to get another std tests or the 12 day post exposure is fine?  Would syphillis have symptoms at all?  I didnt have any symptoms although i currently have couple of canker sores in my mouth and throat.  I did NOT do any oral sex to anyone although I had a lot of deep kissing with multiple partners.  Or would stress be a cause?

Also, it's almost 12 weeks post my "NO risk" exposure based on your evaluation.  With your help I was able to get through this point, thank you!  I am contemplating to get an hiv test for peace of mind... but if ok to ask, has there anyone here that turned positive which you evaluated as No risk or low risk scenario?  Ballpark figure, how many have you evaluated so far on your daily entries here?  Am sorry to ask this, I'm just tinkering with the odds (say zero positive out of the 2000 plus no risk evaluation), somehow I am in a point of letting go of the test, just need to convince myself more.

Thank you so much!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2007, 04:26:07 am »
gg,

Odds, schmodds. Forget odds, we're not bookies and neither are you.

No, I've never seen someone we told had no risk end up positive from the situation that carried no risk. I haven't a clue how many no risk evaluations I've participated in now, but I've been on this website since 2001 - far too many people and questions to keep track. Put it this way, if I were putting notches on the proverbial bedpost, the bedpost would be dust by now.

Syphilis shows itself in lesions, but as they are painless and sometimes in a place that can't be seen, not everyone has noticable symptoms. If you're worried about syphilis, get tested.

If you're worried about the canker sores in your mouth, see your doctor or dentist. We cannot possibly diagnose them here.

One more time, you didn't have a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.