Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 613
Total: 614

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Just testes negative  (Read 8087 times)

Offline henry17

Just testes negative
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:29:20 am »
Hey all. I just tested negative at 6 weeks using a standard 3rd gen test. Im a bit confused though, is that a good indication that I will test negative at the 3rd month mark? Ill search through the threads as Im sure Ill find the same answer to my question. But in the meantime can someone answer this for me? Thanks.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Just testes negative
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:51:45 am »
Hey all. I just tested negative at 6 weeks using a standard 3rd gen test. Im a bit confused though, is that a good indication that I will test negative at the 3rd month mark? Ill search through the threads as Im sure Ill find the same answer to my question. But in the meantime can someone answer this for me? Thanks.

Assuming your risk was unprotected penetrative vaginal and/or anal sex, then a six week negative is a very good sign. It's been at least ten years since I have seen someone test positive at three months when they have tested negative at six weeks.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline henry17

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 01:54:35 am »
Hey Jk. So a negative test should indeed make me feel better in the meantine waiting for the 3 month mark? Im assuming since you havent seen it in such a very long time, it would make a 6 week negative test pretty accurate? Or am I way off base here.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:41 am »
I've been on these boards for about ten years, been working in HIV prevention since the late 1990s. Assuming your risk was unprotected vaginal/anal sex, and indeed high risk (or a risk at all) I have never seen a six week negative turn positive.

If your risk was unprotected receptive anal sex, I would be a tad more cautious, just because of the significance of the risk and the importance of waiting for the correct/current (if quickly becoming outdated in most developed countries) testing window.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Jerry84

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:08 am »
what do you mean by becoming outdated? Do you think most countries will shorten their 3 month window stance?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:32:56 am »
what do you mean by becoming outdated? Do you think most countries will shorten their 3 month window stance?

In Massachusetts, USA,  the window period is already six weeks. I suspect that eventually the window period will be shortened globally. I might have to happen one country at a time before the WHO endorses that.

Welcome Thread

Offline Jerry84

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:54 am »
So if I was in Mass and tested neg on a 3rd gen test. They would consider my test as being conclusive? Seems strange.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:06:58 am »
So if I was in Mass and tested neg on a 3rd gen test. They would consider my test as being conclusive? Seems strange.

Jerry,

You better check out the Welcome Thread for Am I Infected.

You cannot post in any thread other than your own or Ann will fuck your shit up.

MtD

Offline henry17

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:39:29 pm »
Hey thanks for the reply guys. I have to ask please only experts comment on my thread. No disrespect Jerry, but if you have questions, do them on your own thread. Thank you. Ive read a couple threads now, one just recently where Mtd said that a 6 week negative test wont change at 3 months? Is that true? If so, its very encouraging. Also read Ann and others say that a 6 week negative test is Very encouraging? Thanks all.

Offline henry17

Generalized information
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24:31 pm »
Hey experts. I was wondering if someone could post some generalized information about testing guidelines and other such things? So people coming through this site can come and see this thread and have at least a generalized idea before they post.

Here are a few common questions that might benefit others to answer....

What are the ways of hiv transmission?
When do ars symptoms occur?
How accurate is a 6 week test?
Is 6 month testing needed?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Generalized information
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 09:27:34 pm »
You must keep all your questions, thoughts and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the best advice we can.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the "Show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

I would also draw your attention to the posting guidelines for Am I Infected? which are outlined in our Welcome Thread.

Please note that your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:07 am »
Henry,

Yes, it's true. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change. Most countries today use third or fourth generation testing. The only difference is that a fourth generation test also tests for the p24 antigen. The p24 antigen only appears very early on in an infection. Once antibodies begin to develop (around week 2-3), the p24 antigen disappears. I don't believe first and second generation tests are even being manufactured anymore. It would be like someone still making and selling Windows98 software.

And just fyi, the window period in MA is six weeks - and they only permit fourth generation tests to be used. NOT third generation.

Jerry, if you're reading this, take heed of what Matty told you. I'll give you a time out if I find you posting outside your own thread again. OK?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:11 am »
Henry,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hey experts. I was wondering if someone could post some generalized information about testing guidelines and other such things? So people coming through this site can come and see this thread and have at least a generalized idea before they post.

Here are a few common questions that might benefit others to answer....

What are the ways of hiv transmission?
When do ars symptoms occur?
How accurate is a 6 week test?
Is 6 month testing needed?

The information you seek is already available. If you had read the Welcome thread (like you're supposed to - its complete title is WELCOME - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!), you would have seen the links to the testing and transmission lessons. If people (like you) don't bother to read a thread that says READ THIS BEFORE POSTING, do you really think they'd bother to read a thread about general information? Really? Sheesh.

We do not put any emphasis on symptoms here, for two reasons.

1. Neither symptoms nor the even the lack of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

2. If we put emphasis on symptoms, it may lead people who experience nothing following a true risk to think they do not need to test. People should not be testing or not testing based on how they feel. They should be testing or not testing on the basis of risk behaviours.

Six month testing is NOT necessary. The window period has been three months for years now.

Ann
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:32:43 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline henry17

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »
Thanks ann for the clarification. That makes sense. So if I read it right, the fourth generation test for both antibodies and the p24 antigen. However, the p24 antigen will only appear up on a test at around the first 2-3 weeks then it will disappear after. I think I got it. My only question is, if the p24 antigen disappears after the 3rd or even 4th week, why would agencies such as MA consider a 6 week test conclusive. I mean what if you go in at the week 6 and use a 4th generation test and it comes negative. Wouldnt it be too late for a test to look for the p24 antigen and wouldnt the test pretty much only be viable to test for antibodies at the time.

Offline henry17

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27:19 am »
Sorry, this isnt a question specific for Ann (especially if she isnt available). Any expert advice on this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 06:37:27 am »
Henry,

We know that the vast majority of people will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks and the average time to seroconversion is only 22 days.

If someone is taking a little longer to develop sufficient antibodies to trigger a positive result, they will continue to test positive on the p24 antigen past the initial 2-3 weeks. The p24 antigen only disappears once a fair amount of antibodies have been produced.

In other words, if a person is positive, they're going to test positive for one or the other (p24 or antibodies) on a fourth generation test.

That's why it's safe to say that a person is hiv negative if they get a negative result at six weeks on a fourth generation test.

I fully expect the official window period to be changed to six weeks sometime in the future, but in the meantime we have to stick to the current three month rule.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline henry17

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:25:21 pm »
Oh okay thanks for the info Ann. Do you think the window period will be shortened because the tests will all be updated to 4th gen tests eventually? Or simply that they will find out that it takes less time to have a conclusive result even using a 3rd gen test?

Offline henry17

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 01:30:06 am »
Hello? I dont mean to keep this thread going forever and waste your time. That was my last legit question. Are you unable to answer my question?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:05:19 am »
Henry,

I expect the window period to drop to six weeks when fourth generation tests only are used. I only expect this to happen in industrialised countries any time soon, and due to to the current global economy (which is still struggling) don't hold your breath - it could be years yet.

You never did clarify what you believe put you at risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline henry17

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:41 am »
You're right. I should have clarified, it would have been much easier for the experts to judge my situation. I had dated a girl for 4 months. Im 21 years old and always wanted to wait for sex until marriage (Not due to religion) just my personal preference. Anyways, after constant somewhat begging from my gf, I unfortunately gave in and had sex with her. The problem was that I was a virgin and only considered unprotected sex as a risk of pregnancy. Stupid I know. I would in no way would have ever engaged in this for fear of stds. That probably played a role in me wanting to wait until marriage (finding a girl who was std free). But my current gf, who I can without a doubt thought was the one, told me she was on the "pill" and everything is okay, she reassured me time and time again I'll be okay. Long story short I stupidly believed her and had unprotected sex with her 4 times. After the fourth time, I remember her texting me saying a week later saying "sorry Henry I'm hiv infected, I could never have the heart to tell you."  I was beyond shocked, its hard to trust someone so much and take them at their word. Its very hard. At first I pitied her for her diagnosis, but after time I've grown increasingly upset that she would lie to me and lead me on knowing the risk she was going to give to me. So yeah, thats my story. I dont have a long history of unprotected sex or anything like that. The thing is I was in the wrong for trusting her. To this day I wish I was still a virgin. In todays culture at the age of 21 its somewhat of a joke to be a virgin. Im not trying to defend myself or anything like that. I just never thought the chances of a girl my age would be infected. Just shows how idiotic/ignorant I am. Anyways I tested negative at the 6 week mark. I just pray that this can remain the same at the 12 week test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 06:13:12 am »
Henry,

There's no doubt in my mind that you will continue to test negative. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is much more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man.

I was with a negative man for a year and a half before we discovered I was hiv positive. We never used condoms during that time and he remained hiv negative. We were together for a total of just over eight years and he is negative to this day. We used condoms after my diagnosis, but not before.

You do need a three month conclusive test to make certain, but it's highly unlikely to change. Believe it.

Now go get busy with other things while you wait for the appropriate time to test again. You won't be permitted to use this website to keep fretting. We're not here to hold your hand while you're in the window. We've given you all the information you need and there's nothing new to add.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline henry17

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:02:38 pm »
Okay thanks for the reassuring. You've all done all that you can for me. I greatly appreciate your time. Thanks all. The thread is now ended.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.