Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 461
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: What are my chances of being inected by West African Street Worker  (Read 12064 times)

Offline tigbon

I have been on the Verge of insanity these past couple of weeks i had a sexual encounter with a sex worker while on a visit to Lagos Nigeria. i was at a club and had a quite a lot to drink which further impaired my judgment. Some girls came up to my friend and i and started dancing further more we negotiated with them to give protected oral sex. during my session she persuaded me to have virginal sex with her. i was not much for denying since i was drunk. I had a condom on and felt it was on through out the experience but upon finishing up (ejaculating in what i thought was the condom) i found out the condom was broken and my whole penis was exposed in her and i had ejaculated in her. She didn't happen to have noticed this which was quite a surprise to me.  Well 3 weeks later i discovered my tongue had turned yellow and i had a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck then a smaller swell on the right side. i started having headaches and was tired all the time. i went to get tested for malaria, Hiv, typhoid and had a urine culture done all came out negative except  that they diagnosed me with Typhoid.(Oh my God!) and a Genitourinary infection. i started taking antibiotics and my tongue turned white from there. about 4 weeks after exposure i noticed some rashes on my elbow and some on my neck. i started having chills and fevers also i tend to have shaking hands. i Tested again at week 4, 5, 6, and 7 for Hiv including a Western blot test done at week 6 since they have no other test in Nigeria other than the rapid antibody tests. they all came back negative. at about week 9 i stopped taking antibiotics because i had been on them for SO long and they could be messing my immune system or slowing down seroconversion if i was indeed exposed. i started feeling muscle pains on my thighs and calves and joint pains on my wrist, knees and elbows. this lasted for about a week now just slight muscle pains. i am still tired and i still have slight headaches and thrush my tongue still has some yellow towards the back of my tongue. i have tested at week 12 and i am still reading negative i have used a capillus test and Elisa test done i also used a Vscan rapid antibody test which all look for IgG and IgM antibodies and still negative my question is that What is wrong with me and can seroconversion go beyond the 13 week window period? i am in my 13th week now and i am so worried. one of the vscans i did on week 10  yielded a second line but it was extremely faint that i had to use 3 lights to see it. and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: What are my chances of being inected by West African Street Worker
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:29:19 am »
tigbon,

You have reliably and conclusively tested hiv negative. You don't have hiv. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man, so the odds always were in your favour of testing negative, despite your condom break and possible exposure. I say "possible" because you don't know the woman's hiv status. She could easily be hiv negative too.

As for your symptoms, I suggest you go back to your doctor for some follow-up testing to make sure your urinary tract and typhoid infections are cleared up. The white tongue you have is likely to be the result of antibiotic use - this is a common side effect.

Whatever is going on, you can rest assured it has nothing to do with hiv. You are conclusively hiv negative.

Keep using condoms so you stay that way. Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid broken condoms in the future. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tigbon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 10:56:49 am »
Thanks Ann i am just worried because everytime i feel it is not the worst, i tend to get some new symptom that points towards it and i am hoping me having a urinary tract infection and typhoid isn't an influential factor in late seroconversion. my rashes are not reddish they look sort of like goose bumps and my gums are turning whitish are these also reactions to antibiotics(the gum). i am just tired i have not been able to move forward for the past 12 weeks just stagnant at work and socially. i stopped drinking and am now practicing abstinence i am just hoping it has nothing to do with HIV. I did a hepatitis b test at week 8 and a hepatitis c test in week 10 both are negative i do have a cough which is not consistent but it is dry cough and had a bit of a sore throat at week 10 but it wasn't too painful very mild indication it is there are these also the symptoms some people go through when they are going through ars

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:25 am »
tig,

Nothing you have reported will cause delayed seroconversion.

You are hiv negative. See your doctor about your ongoing symptoms - they have nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tigbon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:40:06 am »
it seems that i am now developing gingivitis and a cough and my lymph node is still swollen its been 12 weeks now i hope i am not just seroconverting at this point. these are symptoms of the big H. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF PEOPLE THAT START SEROCONVERTING AT THE 13TH WEEK

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:01:30 am »
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF PEOPLE THAT START SEROCONVERTING AT THE 13TH WEEK

Tig,

No. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 DAYS. You are conclusively  hiv negative.

Please see your doctor about your symptoms. Whatever is causing them isn't hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tigbon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:16:30 am »
Thanks Ann you seem to have a calming effect on my paranoia. i appreciate the help I'll probably go get another test today just to be at ease. Tell you how it goes . My only reason for worrying is that i did a CD4 count about 2 weeks ago and it was at 603. i know i have an infection and typhoid and i have been on antibiotics (Augmentin 1gm and tavanic (Levofloxacin) 500mg antibiotic for about 2 months so i am afraid because my immune system is suppressed i might be late on seroconversion by any way would  but would these factors be responsible for bringing my CD4 count down to 603 and would this number hinder early seroconversion

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:18:11 am »
Tig,

603 is a perfectly normal CD4 count and is not indicative of anything.

If your immune system were so suppressed that it would delay seroconversion, you'd be more likely unable to get out of bed than sit around on the internet.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tigbon

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:14:09 am »
well i went in yesterday and got trsted again with 2 3nd generation Hiv tests which both came out negative one was a vscan hiv 1 and 2 test kit and the other was i believe they call it quick spot . The counselor told me i would probably have to do another test in 3 months to be certain which got me tripping and running scared i thought 3 months was conclusive so why would they say 6 months?  ho.  likely is testing positive after 3 months. I really want to move on and settle down but this situation is really holding me back from moving forward with getting married. They told me to get a PCR Test done in about a week which would eliminate all scares if i test negative i told them i'll think about it due to costs. What does the Forum think about all this. My Gums have turned from red to purple and white what could that be would that be because of antibiotics or something else.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:58 am »
Small wonder you become yet further alarmed when you're told to re-test at 6 months or to take a PCR.

Having tested negative at 13 weeks you are HIV negative. Period. End of story. Anyone telling you otherwise is not giving you accurate information.

As for your gums and anything else you're concerned about in terms of symptoms, discuss that with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything here. What I can tell you is that IF there is a problem it has nothing to do with HIV. You have reliably tested negative for HIV.

Really.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline tigbon

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:07:43 am »
This is what is said by the Vscan HIV1/HIV2 test i was wondering if it could be classified as  1st, 2nd or 3rd generation test
it is made by Minera Biotech in Alberta Canada i was wondering the realibility of it. i took it at week 12.5 and was negative has anyone here ever heard of someone testing Positive from Negative after 3 months and what would be the reasons i have had Malaria, Typhoid and a UTI within the past 4 months so would that affect serovconvdersion. Alos the Muscle pains associatd with serconversion do they just attack certain muscles because my thigh muscles hurt most of the time even when i lay down doing nothing and sometimes my calf muscles gets stiff are these realted to seroconversion?

The VScan™ HIV test kit has demonstrated a very high sensitivity using whole blood. The VScan™ rapid test kit incorporates a unique combination of antigens which has the ability to identify all classes of HIV antibodies and is able to detect HIV very early (as early as a few days). This is through the detection of the IgM antibodies. Other test kits detect the virus at a later more chronic stage (through the detection of only the IgG antibodies). This makes the VScan™ HIV 1 & 2 rapid test kit the most sensitive test kit available.

the link to their site is http://www.minerva-biotech.com/products.htm

Offline tigbon

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 11:29:28 am »
Also would the use of IV antibiotics hinder seroconversion or heavy antibiotic use i was on Tavanic for 10 days and was on IV antibiotics for about 5 days. Is it true that if someone has these symptoms they would probably be tesing positive i have so many symptoms of seroconversion but i do not know if the same symptoms are associated to  Typhoid especially the muscle pains they suck and i still have thrush after getting off antibiotics for about 3 weeks now how long would that go away on a normal basis. thanks looking forward to hearing from you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 12:24:03 pm »
Tig,

You do not have hiv. As you've already been told, none of the drugs you have been on recently will delay seroconversion.

Antibiotic related thrush will not usually go away on its own. You need to see your doctor and get the appropriate treatment.

You are hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tigbon

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 03:54:44 pm »
i went in to give a blood ample for my DNA PCR today i am still worrying but i want to belive it would be ok. i have seen some threads on here with people seroconverting after 13 weeks i just hope i am not one of those. i have had an hivantibody test everyweek for the past 2 and a half months ( since i started having symptoms). who can explain the instances on here that people seroconvert after 13 weeks. My exposure scares me more because i caame in the prostitute thinking i still had a condom on and i feel that would be more of a threat since i would be swimming in the hiv virus at that point.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 04:34:55 pm »
Whether you ejaculated or not was irrelevant in terms of risk to you. That's just your mind making up more stuff to scare you with. It has no basis in HIV science.

You have tested negative at 13 weeks. You ARE HIV negative. Period.

Further HIV testing of any kind is totally unnecessary unless you are an IV drug user or have a severely compromised immune system. And please believe me, if the latter were true you would know it because it's not a subtle event.

No, you just have your mind working on your nerves because it was horrors! A WEST AFRICAN STREET WORKER! Get over it, no kidding.

The fact is that any generation will give you a reliable result at 13 weeks. If you are having symptoms that are bothering you that's something to discuss with your doctor.

This is not an HIV situation. Further testing is a waste of money. No kidding.

Andy Velez

Offline tigbon

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 05:00:27 pm »
thanks Andy but would a CD4 count of 603  be considered a compromissed immune system. I am west African myself but i have lived outside of my country Nigeria for most of my life upon coming back i had this incident which has gotten me soo bothered because all they talk about in this country is HIV/Aids everywhere i turn they have billboards and television ads so its gotten me tripping i really dont want to return to the states with something i didn't leave it with thats why i am getting paranoid. the fact that i have only been back a couple of months and i might contact hiv. would a lack of blood cause muscle aches because they say typhoid attacks the blood and my tongue is pale towards the rear. is that not an indicator of lack of blood thanks for the help i really appreciate all the information i have learnt so much about this diesease in the past 3 months that i can direct documentary on it now
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:59:23 pm by tigbon »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 02:27:24 pm »
603 is within the normal range.

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 02:54:32 pm »
Like Ann said "A white tongue can be the result of antibiotic use". It has happened to me the few times I've had a throat infection. Also, being hungry or thirsty for a long period of time can sometimes turn your tongue temporarily a little white. During an infection (the white) is bacteria on the surface but in your case I don't think so. Keep a clean mouth to help it out and use an antiseptic mouthwash just in case. Do try to keep calm, though. Getting your nerves all jumpy isn't good for the heart nor the brain, my boy.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline tigbon

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 04:25:13 pm »
i just got back my RNA PCR and the results goes as follows

detected <50
i guess that means i am totally cleared and there is no way i am infected since i did this test after 13 weeks.

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 04:36:24 pm »
Great! And like my little nephew would say; "we told you so..."!  ;)

Now take care of yourself and don't get drunk because you don't want to go through that,again. Maybe next time you won't be so lucky... >:(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:39:13 pm by Catman »
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 04:36:58 pm »
No surprise with that result. Congratulations on that happy answer. Now give this thing us and get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline tigbon

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:27:26 pm »
thanks you so much everyone i really appreciate the Love and help i got on here i would never forget all who had something comforting to say i wish you all well and promise to stay safe better yet abstain till marriage.

Offline tigbon

help broken condom
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 07:09:17 pm »
i had sex with a girl about a week and a half ago. i when i finished with her i realised that the condom was broken. i quickly got up and washed uo and peed. about 5 days later, i began to experience sore throat and cough. i did inhale some tobacco a day or two before my throat started hurtingwhich made me cough terribly. i dont feel fatigue or any serious headahes, stomach aches nor vomiting  and diarreah but i am afraid. I do practice safe sex but this whole condom breaking thing has me panicing. what should i do. could it be ARS, the flu virus or just the tobacco messing with my throat.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: help broken condom
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 07:12:41 pm »
Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 07:41:29 pm »
Tig,

Thank you for returning to your original thread.

Look, the condom broke when you were having sex and as such I would recommend that you be tested for HIV 13 weeks from the date of this event and other STD's such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea. The easiest way to accomplish this is to make an appointment with your doctor or STD clinic and ask for a full STD screen. A full screen will include, but is not limited to an HIV antibody test.

The likelihood that you have been infected with HIV is very, very low. HIV is a delicate, fussy virus which is difficult to transmit, particularly from female to male. Nevertheless low risk is not the same as no risk and so you should be tested.

Regards,

MtD

Offline tigbon

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 07:51:21 pm »
my major concern would be on the sore throat. it is the only major symptom and hurts a bit especially when swollowing how likely is it to get hiv from a broken condom. and would the sore throat start almost immediately and do sore throats usually last over a week

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 08:04:30 pm »
Babe,

A sore throat is just that, a sore throat. Since there are no specific symptoms of HIV infection it's not the thing to focus on.

What's important here is that you did have unprotected vaginal or anal sex and that's a risk for HIV transmission therefore you should test. Do you see how that works? Your symptoms are irrelevant, it's the risk behaviour that matters.

MtD

Offline tigbon

Can Lymphoma Delay Hiv Test results
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 03:51:43 pm »
The last time i was at possible risk of Hiv which i would consider a low risk because it was of a broken condom was in August of 2006. i was cleared of that in late 2007 but had another low risk incident in October 2007 from a broken condom which I had an Hiv Antibody Antigen test done in December 2007 and had the UniGold test done at planned parenthood which they said was able to discover Hiv within a month and they both came out negative. The thing is i was feeling real sick with Night Sweats, chills, fever, cough and a new swollen Lymph node on my neck the size of golf ball and i went to the hospital which they claim looks like Lymphoma and ordered another Hiv test despite the fact that i was told a month prior to that i was negative.They never called back from the hospital with the result so i am assuming that's a good thing. i had a chest X-ray done, a  CT scan was ordered which triggered a Biopsy and then from that they are now ordering a PET scan so it looks like possible Lymphoma but i want to know could this have delayed Hiv seroconversion over the last year and a half and do i have to worry about Hiv surfacing now after a year and a half?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 03:57:27 pm »
No, lymphoma would not have delayed your reliable result, if in fact you even have lymphoma. You are not reporting anything which causes me to doubt the reliablity of your test result for what was a very low level risk to begin with.

Keep working with your doctor(s) to find out the real cause of your symptoms.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 05:10:34 pm »
tig.

You need to read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid condom breakage. A correctly used condom RARELY breaks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tigbon

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 05:19:43 pm »
so the presence of lymphoma generally in  a person wouldn't hinder seroconversion?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:41 pm »
tig,

The only time cancer MIGHT have an impact on hiv seroconversion would be if the person was already on chemotherapy when they became infected. This does not apply to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.