Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:05:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773216
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 479
Total: 482

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Hairspray" was lots of fun !!!  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Jody

"Hairspray" was lots of fun !!!
« on: August 05, 2007, 01:20:26 am »
Tonight my friend Frank and I went to see the movie "Hairspray".  It was very entertaining and we enjoyed it very much...The young lady who played Tracy Turnblatt was very energetic and the whole cast did quite well in this remake musical centering around life in Baltimore in 1962, where John Waters came from.

John Travolta was execellent as Tracy's mother Edna and Christopher Walken as her father was as well...The rest of the cast, including Michelle Pfeiffer, Jerry Stiller and others were fine too.  Who would have thunk back when.   :D
Queen Latifah was terrific in her role as were all the young actors, black and white, starring in an afternoon TV musical and dance show that dealt with segregation in America in those years and its metamorphosis towards racial unity and doing thre righteous thing.

The young fellows, including newcomer Zac Efron were cute and talented.

All in all, after dinner at a Cajun restaurant in Forest Hills, where we enjoyed blackened chciken and salmon and potatoes and asparagus, squash and other veggies and some vodkas and rum drinks and we had a great time.

Jody  ;D
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Basquo

Re: "Hairspray" was lots of fun !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:31:06 am »
Jody, I enjoyed it as well!  I was wary of Travolta, seeing little clips of him on TV, and for the first 5 minutes of the movie I hated him, until I realized that he was affecting a true Baltimore accent!  After that realization, I was accepting, but by the middle of the movie he had utterly convinced me and when he did the Tina Turner moves at the end, I was totally won over! Everyone did a great job, and I was tapping my foot the whole time, especially when Seaweed was singing, "the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice!"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:49:51 am »
I thought it was great! Very fun and upbeat.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 01:56:56 am »
I saw it too. I thought I was going to be skeptical because I liked the original but I must admit I liked this remake too. I thought John Travolta was excellent and amazed at how he was able to love with that fat suit on.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 02:34:11 am »
I've always loved John Travolta, even back to the old Kotter days.  And Creighton, the boy has proved over and over again:  he's got rhythm. (..."and when he did the Tina Turner moves at the end, I was totally won over!") From Saturday NIght Fever to PUlp FIction there is no doubt John Travolta can boogie.

robert

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 06:37:32 am »

Ed and I were just talking last night about going to see "Hairspray". Probably see it this coming weekend.
Sounds like fun !

Ray 8)

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 10:46:19 am »
Hairspray was great!    Me and my friends had a Hairspray watching party.  Yeap, 3 dozen of us queens walked right up in the middle of that theater and owned the place.  It was a great time.  Always love Queen Latifah in anything she does.  And I really got the hots for Link and Corney.  ;D
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 02:50:10 pm »
I love HAIRSPRAY
Ilove DIVINE
I love John Waters

I do not love John Travolta in Hairspray because he has used a fat suit....when it looks to me as tho a bit of drag and make up and he'd look just fine in the part.

Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 02:33:10 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Jodala. I've not seen the original so I'm wondering if I should see that before this remake.

MtD

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 03:47:38 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Jodala. I've not seen the original so I'm wondering if I should see that before this remake.

MtD

Definitely see the original first. Ricki Lake and Ms. Divine made the movie.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.