Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:54:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 653
Total: 653

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: M.A.C.  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
M.A.C.
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
Has anyone had M.A.C.-I don,t know if I will be able to spell it correctly.It like T.B.. but not contagious. Spent eight days in isolation then was able to go home for the next ten months I had to go to the health unit every day to take a lot of meds in from of a nurse.When I started running fever I didn,t think nothing was wrong and then start coughing up blood and still didn,t realize anything was wrong.Must have been delirious from the Fever which was 104.This is something I truly hope no one has to go through this. Thank You Dwayn20-AKA (Scooter)

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
Re: M.A.C.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:58:31 pm »
Well I did my research on M.A.C. which is known as Hot Tub Lung. It,s full name is Mycobacterium Avium Complex. I know now my trips to the baths caught up with me. I know better now even though I rarely did anything because of my status. You know the funny part is I only stayed at the baths when I had a appointment in New Orleans Dwayn20 AKA (Scooter)

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:19:29 am »
Hi

If you are trying to torture me by using that yellow font ....you have succeeded.  Its totally unreadable.
Just saying.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:43:50 am »
Hey Scooter,

MAC is a pretty nasty disease. I have seen it in others, but never experienced it myself.

When I have seen it, it was dispersed, meaning not in the lungs, but rather elsewhere. It was characterized by rather severe diarrhea and fatigue, and sometimes with enlarged lymph nodes.

Don't beat yourself up about catching it at the tubs. Chances are you could have come into contact with it from other places, even while digging in the back yard. It is a very common organism, which means most of us have probably been exposed to it at one time or another.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Oh, and to just add to what Joel said, the yellow type is a killer. I had to highlight your post to read it.

Maybe a nice purple?

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:59 am »
Dear Bear60
I had not realized it would be that bad until I posted it then look instead of the other way around Please forgive me I tined to be backward at times.It won,t happen again!!!
Dear Mark AKA aztecan thanks for the info you provided about the organism because have not been to tubs in 5 years.
Dwayn20 AKA(Scooter)

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:08:09 pm »
Yes, Mark, it is a common organism.  An older female friend of ours who is not HIV positive has had it and she claims it is from bird or mice droppings.  She lives in Arizona by the way. Havent you guys had a drought in Arizona?  Wouldnt that mean there is more dust blowing around?  Could it be caught by breathing in dust?
Just wondering.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline mudman8

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »
That was a concern when I worked at Sea World as the bird droppings were constant.  I've heard that just about every Archeologist in the state has it from breathing dirt from digs.

Glad you got over it.
Life is analog

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:53:30 pm »
Thank You I didn,t know that much about it an I just got me a computer so now I can do my own research,because you can,t rely on the doctors an nurses to tell thing to you. :)Dwayn20 AKA(Scooter)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.