Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:08:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 450
Total: 450

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In Space No One Can...  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
In Space No One Can...
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:23:29 am »
So I went to see the much hyped premiere of Prometheus Thursday night at 12:01 AM.  I have to be honest in that I hadn't been keeping up with all of the news behind the movie and wasn't on cloud 69 over Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi like a lot of people.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and will admit it was breathtakingly beautiful. In places. 

Without getting deep into spoiler territory, I was a bit underwhelmed and it felt like an attempt to bring on board the generation who aren't old enough to have seen any of the Alien Quadrilogy (especially the first two movies) - with some of the scenes we remember appearing to have been ramped up with bigger and grander special FX.

It was like a retread of old material, despite the fact that Scott vehemently denies that it was a prequel to Alien.  The ending itself contradicts that, but it also seems like it was thrown in just for the hell of it to open up the door for a sequel in which to connect all things Prometheus to the Alien franchise - in an attempt to reboot and make fresh for the kids of today.

Has anyone else seen it yet?  If so, what did you think of it?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:30:14 am by Solo_LTSurvivor »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: In Space No One Can...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:35:45 am »
In Space No One Can...

... Hear You Disclose? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline darryaz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:05:21 pm »
My nerdy str8 friends gave it rave reviews.  I'm reserving judgment until I actually see it.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »
I think I revel in the meteors of my own atmosphere. I assumed this thread was about me.  ;D
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:40:53 pm »
... Hear You Disclose? ;D

I LOVE THIS  ;)

I think I revel in the meteors of my own atmosphere. I assumed this thread was about me.  ;D

And Space, I was thinking of you when I originated this thread.

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »
So I went to see the much hyped premiere of Prometheus Thursday night at 12:01 AM.  I have to be honest in that I hadn't been keeping up with all of the news behind the movie and wasn't on cloud 69 over Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi like a lot of people.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and will admit it was breathtakingly beautiful. In places. 

Without getting deep into spoiler territory, I was a bit underwhelmed and it felt like an attempt to bring on board the generation who aren't old enough to have seen any of the Alien Quadrilogy (especially the first two movies) - with some of the scenes we remember appearing to have been ramped up with bigger and grander special FX.

It was like a retread of old material, despite the fact that Scott vehemently denies that it was a prequel to Alien.  The ending itself contradicts that, but it also seems like it was thrown in just for the hell of it to open up the door for a sequel in which to connect all things Prometheus to the Alien franchise - in an attempt to reboot and make fresh for the kids of today.

Has anyone else seen it yet?  If so, what did you think of it?

Went to see it today (also saw it on IMAX 3D).  I must say that I quite liked it. Didn't love it, but quite liked it.  I'd give it an 8.5 on a 10 scale.  In my opinion Alien is a 9.5 and Aliens is pretty much a 10. 

Theron and Rapace looked beautiful.  Fassbender was phenomenal (and I find him hot as fuck, though I prefer him as a brunette).

I won't get into spoiler territory either, but one thing that I liked was the philosophical context to the story.  It gave some meaning to an otherwise sci-fi/action flick (and I believe Fassbender's "David" is more meaningful in this respect than Rapace's "Liz").  I quite liked the introductory scene; it was really ambiguous.

The cinematography was fantastic (with some stunning takes of Iceland and Spain, beautiful landscapes, and nice F/X). 

The ending, as you noted, leaves it open to a sequel (which would be nice) and a reboot of the Alien films for younger audiences (which wouldn't be so cool as no one, absolutely no one, could ever be as fabulous as Sigourney Weaver). 

A good film nonetheless.  I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good two hours at the movies. 

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »
(and I find him hot as fuck, though I prefer him as a brunette).
did you catch him in the all-together in "Shame"?  8)

oh and Sigourney as Ripley can never be topped ;)

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:06:24 am »
My review is a little less glowing than Rev's but I still enjoyed the movie.  I am a huge fan of the Alien saga and I was hoping this would engage me just as much.  I like that it potentially delved into some of the history and lore behind the aliens and the human progenitor race.  There were some fairly interesting philosophical concepts being bandied about in the exchanges between David, Shaw, and Holloway about religion and life after death.

Where I kind of felt let down was when they fell into the tired old Alien/Aliens routine.  Oh look face huggers, oh look a virus that creates face huggers, oh look there's a monster.  It was fairly formulaic as to what was going on plotwise for about the middle hour of the movie.  I suppose this is bound to happen when he's building in an existing universe.  I would have liked to have known more about the "titans" and I had hoped we would get an actual conversation with them, hell even one or two lines of dialogue.

All in all the movies was entertaining but I just expected more.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 02:01:36 pm »
Thanks for failing
I just can't see how Dune can ever be made into a respectable movie anyway. There's just too much packed into that story (well that part of the story, as the story now encompasses something like 22 books and over 40,000yrs or so) to somehow tell and/or portray in <2.5 hours. Although Sci-Fi didn't do too bad of a job with the "Children of Dune" mini-series
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:08 pm »
did you catch him in the all-together in "Shame"?  8)

oh and Sigourney as Ripley can never be topped ;)

He was amazing in Shame.  I can't believe that he wasn't nominated for the facken Oscar.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 11:24:26 am »

Fassbender was phenomenal (and I find him hot as fuck, though I prefer him as a brunette).

HAWTEST MAN EVAH... did you see him in full beard last week on some late night talk show?

***SWOOOOOOOOOOOOONING***
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 11:33:01 am »
HAWTEST MAN EVAH... did you see him in full beard last week on some late night talk show?

Oh yeah, reddish beard (yum yum).  Major masturbatory material  :P

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 03:24:21 pm »

Tom Hardy is going to be jealous.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »
Oh yeah, reddish beard (yum yum).  Major masturbatory material  :P

Just for you, Rev. ~ Courtesy Charlie Rose.

Past regimens

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 05:55:30 pm »
Why, thank you! :D

This man is the hottest fella I've seen on screen in a good while.  I first noticed him a couple of years ago in Hunger.  When he signed up to be on X-Men I was in major geek queen paradise (he gives such a manly yet gayish vibe to Magneto).  Then came the one with my girl Carey Mulligan.

Ok, I'll go change my panties. 

Offline songs06

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 02:00:53 pm »
as a huge alien saga fan, i found movie quite entertaining. but it is obviously not a sci-fi masterpiece. but still lots of interesting points. there are tons of plot holes, and i do not mean "unanswered questions". i think it was quite fine. fine as that you can ignore all the plot holes and still enjoy the movie.

"2001: a space odyssey", "the thing", "Lawrence of Arabia", "alien", "aliens", "blade runner" and other movie refences was good. main actress is not an allen ripley but good in a different way. she is more fragile but clever as well, and quite sensitive person. i like her a lot. her masculine face makes her a really good action woman figure.

acting is mostly good, directing is the best. i love scott, personally his earlier movies like "alien" and "blade runner". now he has more money and makes a depressing movie quite enjoyable. from the opening scene (filmed in iceland) through the first half of the movie deserves a 10. it gives a mysterious feeling and a great fantasy atmosphere i ve rarely ve seen in a movie. second half is more typical hollywood picture with lots of action and cliche situation. but that part also deserves at least a 7 out of 10, still enjoyable moments, and great acting of charlize theron and fassbender, and good action scenes from scott.

my problems with movie: -SPOILERS-
1-major plot holes like a facehugger turn a giant mode in 5 hours. or all life on earth comes from a engineer and our dna %100 match with them. that means all the creatures on earth have %100 match dna :) and if the "geologist guy" made the map of the pyramid, why he is the one who lost his way and turn to gymnast zombie? plot holes goes like that.

2-charlize theron's character really good acted, has a interesting background and promise lots of storyline opportunities but she dies in the most stupid way.

3-david plays with the crew, but does it without permission of weyland. it doesn't make sense why he used black goo to holoway to see its power. it like firing a TNT and putting in the middle of the room. isn't there a way to do that part more properly.

4-even "abortion" scene is already classic, it looks incredibly unrealistic because of the shortness of the procedure. you have to cut the uterus first, only a cutt in the abdomen is enough? come on.

5-why does weyland hide his presence in the ship? and tell everybody he died? and why the only alive engineer run after shaw and not go to another ship just 1 km ahead? lots of question marks about logic.

well i hope scott makes a director's cut and makes all the stupid parts go. it has really good material, enough for a sci fi masterpiece. i wish i could cut the movie, montage it again, and film a brand new ending including alive charlize theron!
18.03.2012 - infected.
14.04.2012 - first positive elisa - UD western blot
30.04.2012 - western blot confirmation positive
03.05.2012 - first lab- CD4: 256   VL: 2.3 M
01.06.2012 - sec lab- CD4: 390 (end of ARS)
01.07.2012 - third lab- CD4: 388 VL: 150.000
11.07.2012 - Started Truvada + Kaletra
04.08.2012 - CD4: 401 VL: 3800
30.09.2012 - CD4: 510 VL: 709
04.01.2013 - CD4: 650 VL: UD! (aka 20)
01.04.2013 - CD4: 460 VL: UD
09.2013 - CD4: 510
02.2014 - CD4: 490

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 05:15:36 pm »
I was excited about seeing Prometheus but I have had 3 friends say the movie sucks. One said it was worse than Alien Resurrection, which, even though I love Joss Whedon, is quite damning indeed. The biggest complaint seems to be the movie has huge plot holes and a cavalcade of sci-fi clichés. I think I'm going to wait for Netflix.

Offline songs06

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 06:07:51 am »
i think "alien resurrection" was OK mostly because of jean pierre jeunet's surreal directing but prometheus is better than resurrection. and as good as fincher's "alien 3". plot holes and cliches are not gonna bother if you pay attention mostly on the beauty of the scenes and atmosphere. and i can watch the movie several times just for great first 30 minutes. it is really that good, and original in that part.
and i would recommend everyone to see it on cinema, especially IMAX. i am not a big fan of 3D but prometheus mostly minimalistic about 3D and not gonna give you headaches. other than that, this is a movie should be seen in a movie theatre, otherwise i am afraid it is really not that fun.
18.03.2012 - infected.
14.04.2012 - first positive elisa - UD western blot
30.04.2012 - western blot confirmation positive
03.05.2012 - first lab- CD4: 256   VL: 2.3 M
01.06.2012 - sec lab- CD4: 390 (end of ARS)
01.07.2012 - third lab- CD4: 388 VL: 150.000
11.07.2012 - Started Truvada + Kaletra
04.08.2012 - CD4: 401 VL: 3800
30.09.2012 - CD4: 510 VL: 709
04.01.2013 - CD4: 650 VL: UD! (aka 20)
01.04.2013 - CD4: 460 VL: UD
09.2013 - CD4: 510
02.2014 - CD4: 490

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 10:30:27 am »
Tom Hardy is going to be jealous.

speaking of him, I re-watched RockNRolla last night.

ps: I trust everyone here saw Fassbender's massive uncut schlong in Shame?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
ps: I trust everyone here saw Fassbender's massive uncut schlong in Shame?

I have not gazed upon Mr. Fassbender's manhood but by all it accounts it is glorious.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »
I have not gazed upon Mr. Fassbender's manhood but by all it accounts it is glorious.

the utmost in perfection -- you need to netflix it this evening

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 08:16:29 pm »
to see the movie SHAME try,

http://www.putlocker.com/file/5D62AAAA4E7F4B4B

wait a few seconds, select "free user," cancel pop-ups, hit little button on the screen to the right, "click to play," NOT the centered RED button.  Then watch.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:02 pm »
to see the movie SHAME try,

http://www.putlocker.com/file/5D62AAAA4E7F4B4B

wait a few seconds, select "free user," cancel pop-ups, hit little button on the screen to the right, "click to play," NOT the centered RED button.  Then watch.

No doubt you know that any gay man here worth his salt has already seen Shame when it was in the theater and owns a copy of the blu-ray/DVD/digital copy that was released in April.

If not, this will entice them to click your link since no one wants to talk about Prometheus any longer  :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:36:49 pm by Solo_LTSurvivor »

Past regimens

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 07:47:47 am »
No doubt you know that any gay man here worth his salt has already seen Shame when it was in the theater and owns a copy of the blu-ray/DVD/digital copy that was released in April.

If not, this will entice them to click your link since no one wants to talk about Prometheus any longer  :o
Well this is the first I've heard of Shame but that mini-vid of his wang was hypnotic.  Was the movie any good?

Offline osric

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »
Tried to watch the streaming video of Shame but my internet couldn't keep up. Found it on Netflix (on DVD) and put it at the top of my queue.

BTW, I kind of liked Prometheus. It didn't feel anything at all like a prequel to Alien (despite the nasty thing that came out of her stomach). The effects were great and while there were some huge plot holes, the lead actors were pleasant enough to watch. Here's to a sequel of the prequel!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:34:32 pm by osric »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 03:30:20 pm »
Was the movie any good?

Yes it is.  My favourite scene takes place toward the end of the film when he visits a gay bar.  You will enjoy it.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »
Saw it today. I liked it. Didn't love it. The slow pace and philosophical overtones reminded me of Danny Boyle's Sunshine in a strange sort of way.

SPOILER ALERT

4-even "abortion" scene is already classic, it looks incredibly unrealistic because of the shortness of the procedure. you have to cut the uterus first, only a cutt in the abdomen is enough? come on.

I quite liked that scene. It wasn't an abortion per se, it was a cesarean on a 3 month old fetus.  ;)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 05:54:45 pm »

I quite liked that scene. It wasn't an abortion per se, it was a cesarean on a 3 month old fetus.  ;)

a squid fetus nonetheless.

Offline HARLEY_B

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44:02 pm »
 I was really looking forward to this movie myself. The story was not as good as I'd hoped but the visuals were breathtaking. Alien was an original that couldn't be topped until Aliens came out. Loved it! Now I'll have to check out this other movie all of you are talking about: Shame?

Offline HARLEY_B

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:20 pm »
 By the way Solo: many thanks for that link! Very impressive. My mouth is still hanging open 10 minutes later..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 09:24:27 am »
By the way Solo: many thanks for that link! Very impressive. My mouth is still hanging open 10 minutes later..

I'm betting he's a "SHOW-ER" not a "GROW-ER"

Any proof to the opposite would be greatly appreciated. :D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.