Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:56:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 234
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 26325 times)

Offline HelpHelp

Need Advice
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:28:34 am »
Hello, I really would appreciate if someone could give me a response. This is my story
I had unprotected sex from April to August 18th ( That was my last exposure date)
Oct 31       I got tested but was still in the window period ( 11 weeks )
Nov 18    I got tested again came back negative ( 13 weeks)
However, my original reason for getting tested was a diarrhea for like a month and then once that stopped I started getting orange anal slimly discharge after I went to the washroom from the bum ( I have never had any type of anal sex or anything)

Nov 1      I got my first canker sore of my life, along with the worst pain in my mouth in my life. It’s not a typical sore throat. It’s really red at he back of my mouth and I have an aching pain in the back of my mouth and the top of my mouth as well. The top of my mouth is earthier aching with pain, or is itchy. I was treated for strep throat, but it didn’t do anything, then they said it must be viral then.  Its been a MONTH now and I’m still having aching pain on the roof of my mouth and back of my mouth ( top of throat).  I also have a slightly/small red rash on my chest and sometime my legs.  I realize that people normally test at the 13 week mark, but could this not be my body forming the antibodies? Could this in any way be related? It’s been a month, most normal viral infections don’t last that long. Please help me, I’m really worried. I have no immune deficiency, and I was on lorazapam meds when I got the first test done, but not the second. I am convinced I have it and my body is one of those one in a whatever amount of time that isn’t showing up. Please I need to know if my mouth problems could be related to HIV. Thanks so much

Offline RapidRod

Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:33:47 am »
Read the posting guidelines found in the "Welcome" forum. Don't double post. You're negative and your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. See a doctor if you have concerns.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:50:30 am »
Like Rod I just want to say without a doubt this is NOT an HIV situation. You have reliable tested negative for HIV so that is eliminated.

You need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything here. I will say other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. We always recommend that anyone who's sexually active have a full STD panel done regularly -- at least annually and every six months is even better.

Lastly, you need to know that everytime you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that. You can have as much intercourse as you want to and their HIV is irrelevant as long as you always wear a condom. No exceptions, no matter what you think you know of the other person's history or how great they look. Use condoms. Everytime. They do the job. Learn from this experience and start protecting yourself.

Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

Just to clarify
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:02:37 pm »
I'm sorry for double posting before, I thought I did it wrong the first time. Thanks for your responses. I just wanted to clarify that the roof of your mouth being itchy along with the back of my mouth aching with pain is not a HIV symptom? Its not difficult to swallow or talk, its just is extremely red and achy/ weird pain both in my in the back of my mouth and top of my mouth/ basically a huge annoyance .
Thanks Again

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:29:12 pm »
I"m sorry I'm not too good at this type of thing....
i just want to clarify that the aching pain in the back of my mouth( severe redness) and the aching pain/itch on the top of my mouth is not an hiv symptom? Also i have like a sore on the top of my mouth that just turned up this afternoon. Its not a canker, its just red bump

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:32:24 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this same thread.

As for the additional symptoms you are concerned about that's still something to discuss with your doctor. You did not have a risky HIV situation and whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV even if your fears tell you otherwise.
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 04:47:50 pm »
I had unprotected sex ( which I'll never do again). It isn't possible for me to be having acute HIV or something now while still testing negative three months after? I never have  had mouth sores, nor have i ever had this type of a aching pain in my mouth. I'm sorry to keep bugging here, but I'm really scared that I have it. One more question, medication such as lorazepam won't interfer with test results right?
Thanks ... i really do appreciate this web site

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 04:54:04 pm »
Help,

I think Andy confused you with someone else in his answer. Thats one of the reasons why we ask people to keep all their concerns in one thread - otherwise things get confusing.

You did have a risk of infection, yes. However, you were not infected. Your test results prove that. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. You tested out to the very end of the window period. You are NOT hiv positive.

See your doctor about your mouth problems. Whatever is going on, it has NOTHING to do with hiv. You do NOT have hiv.

Make sure you use condoms in future and you'll remain hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 05:00:55 pm »
So medications such as lorazepam or anti biotic ts for a throat infection wouldn't interfer with the accuracy of test results?  and it is NOT possible that i am seroconverting now and that why i didn't test positive at 13 weeks because my body just started making anti whatevers now? :)
thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:10:35 pm »
Help,

No, those medications will not interfer with the seroconversion process. You are not seroconverting at this late date. You do not have hiv. See your doctor about your mouth concerns, whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

You have reliably tested hiv negative. You ARE hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 05:16:31 pm »
Further testing wouldn't be required if i knew the person I slept with was HIV positive? The three month( 13 week) is 100% reliable , as long as i don't use drugs ( which i don't in any way) or have an immune deficiency ( which i don't) ?

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 05:23:31 pm »
Also, my mouth issues stated Nov. 1, and i was tested Nov 18 so again ( I'm sorry) it wouldn't have been the seroconverted thing happening and there just wasn't enough anti bodies developed to test positive?
Thanks for all your help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 06:27:27 pm »
Help,

How would it make any sense to extend the window period if you knew the person was hiv positive? What about all the people who had sex with people they didn't know were positive, but were?

The window period is three months, period. End of story. The ONLY exceptions are people on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant or people who have been injecting street drugs, every day, for YEARS.

People who are hiv negative get mouth issues too. You need to see your doctor or dentist about them.

One more time, you ARE hiv negative. If you continue to have difficulties accepting your hiv negative status, then perhaps it's time you sought counseling. We cannot help you with that here.

Please make sure you read the posting guidelines in the Welcome thread. We do not permit people to use this forum to continually question their confirmed negative status.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:12 am »
Can you get HIV from unprotected oral sex?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 10:11:44 pm »
No...

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 09:02:17 am »
Yesterday, I felt like i was going to feel sick all day, then finally , then last night I was out and got hit like a wave of Diarrhea and feeling like i was going to get sick. Last exposure ( unprotected sex) Aug 18. Nov. lymph nodes swell up and i get laryngitis, that is Slowly going away, now I have this 'flu". There is no way that its hiv if i tested from a Nov. 18th Test?  I just keep gettin sicker. Slowly. I"m so scared that its from that and that my body is just reacting slowly to it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 09:27:26 am »
You have reliably tested negative for HIV. No matter what your mind is scaring you with in relation to your symptoms, you are are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Whatever is causing your symptoms is not HIV. You need to discuss them with your doctor and find out the real cause, which I repeat, is NOT HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 01:16:08 pm »
OK i just have one more question. If you are just fooling around and then you go to have sex so you put the condom on but there was already pre cum and u wipe it off prior to putting the condom on and then when you put the condom on , the pre cum gets on the outside of the condom from your hands,then you have sex... is that a risk? if the pre come was on the outside of the condom ? weird question, i know

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »
Help,

It's not a weird question - it's one we see quite often around here in various different disguises. Hiv is very fragile and does not withstand the type of treatment you are talking about. Once it finds itself outside the body, it quickly becomes too damaged to be able to infect.

Keep making sure your fella wacks that condom on before he enters your anus or vagina and you'll be fine.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever. Better yet, you can put the condom on him as part of foreplay - this way you'll know it's on properly.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms properly and with confidence. Please also check out the information on the female condom.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. This is something for you to keep in mind for the future - we already know that you are currently hiv negative. Stay that way by insisting that condoms are always used for intercourse.

You ARE hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 03:39:03 pm »
Ok, just to clarify...  It cannot live outside the body for even a couple seconds?Therefor , if there was pre cum on the outside of the condom, i am at no risk of infection becuase the virus would have been killed/damaged? Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 04:09:29 pm »
Help,

Pre-cum on the outside of a condom is not going to infect you.

You are conclusively hiv negative. Use condoms and stay that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 04:30:13 pm »
This happened to me recently , so I was just making sure( the pre cum on condom) . The last unprotected sex was Aug.18 , so yes I am HIV negative.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me, its greatly appreciated. When i start to get nervous, i come on here and re read your responses, so it really helps me. Thanks.

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 06:37:31 pm »
Aslo, can you or can you not get HIV from giving a guy oral and swallowing?
Thanks

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 06:48:15 pm »
One more questions to go with the one above for an admin memeber . Are red dots inside your mouth ( checks and roof of mouth) a symptom of hiv . they just look like small red pin dots( blood dots) . I also have one red thing on my cheek that looks like a spider ( but no erosion) just a red thingy that looks like a spider?? That isn't raised or anyhing just there. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 06:57:56 pm »
You can't be diagnosed over the Internet. If you have a concern see your doctor.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 03:03:02 am »
Help,

Giving blowjobs is more a risk in theory than reality. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

However, there are other sexually transmitted infections that can be transmitted through giving blowjobs, notably herpes, syphilis and gonorrhea. If you're concerned about these, you'll have to see your doctor. 

If you have concerns about your oral health, see your doctor or dentist. We cannot diagnose your mouth-spots here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 09:02:51 am »
Should i be re tested for HIV then or am I okay? Since that last unprotected sex Aug 18. I have had oral once and used a condom the other time( with the pre cum on the outside of it) ?
Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 09:47:44 am »
Help,

You do not need re-testing at this time, no. You do, however, need to make sure that as a sexually active adult, you are having a yearly sexual health check up that includes all STIs, not just hiv. It's what responsible adults do to protect their own health and that of others.

You can test again in a year, or in six months if you happen to be very active with several partners. Please understand this is ROUTINE testing, not over anything you have brought here so far. If you don't have sex in the next year, don't bother testing again.

Keep using condoms and expect hiv negative results.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 09:52:06 am »
I don't think you're really listening to what is being said to you. Your anxiety is clogging your ears. Ann has already responded to you about giving oral sex.

You are HIV negative. If you are going to get anxious everytime you give oral then use condoms for that as well as for intercourse.

This is not an HIV situation.  
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 04:44:34 pm »
I have heard of situations where the person picked up more then one std at a time, making it so that they wouldn't test positive at the three month mark? Is this true? If i got herpes or hep C at the same time as HIV would it take longer to test positive? Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 05:24:03 pm »
No. Being infected with another sexually transmissible disease (or any disease for that matter) will not affect the window period.

You don't have HIV. Are you getting the message?

MtD

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 09:24:25 pm »
I was actually meaning like if you had a one time encounter with someone who was HIV pos and Hep C pos and in that one time you slept with them , you picked up both hep C and HIV, would you test pos for both at the 3 month window thingy? or would it take longer because of being infected b y two things at the same time.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 09:29:15 pm »
No.

Firstly HCV infection is extremely unlikely to be transmitted by unprotected sexual behaviours. But assuming someone did contract both, one would not affect the window period of the other.

The window period for HIV is 3 months, for HCV it's 6 months.

But this prattle is beside the point.

You do not have HIV. So stop with the what-iffing.

MtD

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 04:10:52 am »
I need to ask this , because its driving me crazy. Is a tooth ache ever a sign of HIV? i know you don't diagnosed by symptoms, i was just wondering if the too have ever been related. Thanks,

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 04:37:12 am »
Help,

Toothache? This has gone beyond silly. I think it's time that your thread was reviewed by the Moderators.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 05:30:56 am »
Toothache has absolutely nothing to do with HIV, you need to see a dentist, I'm giving you a 28 Time Out so you can go and  make an appointment...there is nothing else we can do for you.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 02:06:46 pm »
OK. I have one last thing , I've been waiting to write. I had unprotected oral sex on Dec 1 , then i got a tickle in my thorat and mouth/tongue. Had a throat infection already at the time when this happened. But the thingling /weird feeling in my throat didn't happen start till about a week after the oral where i swallowed. Do i need to  be tested in three months? also been feeling sick( tired, flu like things. Also white dots on the top of my mouth and tongue. Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 02:11:06 pm »
You don't need to test, but if that is the only way you are going to move on, test collect your negative result.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2008, 02:16:37 pm »
Help,

You're MUCH more likely to have gotten gonorrhea from giving head. To find out, you'll have to have your throat swabbed and tested for gonorrhea. We can't diagnose you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 02:06:56 pm »
OK thanks, I went and got my throat swapped. I just have a few questions with regards to HIV

1) Can you get the brief flu symptoms of HIV the same day as the exposure?

2) If I was exposed on Dec 1 from an oral incident, would it possible to have white dots on my tongue and a white patch as a result of HIV or is it too soon for these symptoms?

3) Is a tickle in your thorat/ mouth a symptom of HIV ?

Thanks SO much.  I went and i was tested for all other STDs but am worried about HIV because i had a thorat infection already at the time.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 02:32:51 pm »
1) Can you get the brief flu symptoms of HIV the same day as the exposure?

No. HIV seroconversion illness does not appear at the same time as exposure. For the record you were not exposed.

2) If I was exposed on Dec 1 from an oral incident, would it possible to have white dots on my tongue and a white patch as a result of HIV or is it too soon for these symptoms?

3) Is a tickle in your thorat/ mouth a symptom of HIV ?

As we've told you repeatedly -- symptoms are meaningless and in any event you do not have HIV as you did not place yourself at risk.

MtD

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 07:13:34 pm »
I was concerned because i had unprotected oral and like 6 hours later had the flu, plus  I had a throat infection at the time and i swallowed. Then I small white dots on my tongue plus small white patch at back of mouth with tingling all throughout my mouth .
But i don't need to be tested for HIV ?
Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 07:21:10 pm »
No, you don't need to be tested for HIV as a result of the sexual activity you report.

Is that clear enough?

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 07:49:05 pm »
I'm not sure you're listening to anything that's being said to you because your anxiety is screaming so loudly.

This is a really simple situation. No HIV risk = no need for testing.

Going through all of the previous entries in your thread it's starting to seem like the same scenario over again, the one for which you ended up being given a time out. Keep in mind that next time you'll end up getting banned if you simply come back again and again with this kind of stuff. Re-read the lesson on Transmission. It lays the issues of transmission of HIV out for you there very simply and directly. And the advice and information you have been given throughout this thread is transferrable from one situation to another.

I repeat, are you listening?
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 07:58:45 pm »
Yes , I am listening, just wanted to make sure that if i had unprotected oral when i had a thorat infection and swallowed that I don't need to be tested for HIV.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 08:07:34 pm »
Well now you can be sure.

You don't need to test.

MtD

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Thank you. I needed that reassurance. I am away from home for school so i don't have a doctor except for the one provided through the school.  I have had my mouth looked at numerous times, they just keep telling me it must b e a viral infection. Yes, it has freaked me out given that it has been there for awhile and because of my unprotected oral. I also went to the dentist, where he indicated that no problems with my gums/teeth that would be cause my problems in my mouth. Thanks you all for your support. 

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 11:10:14 am »
Wondering if it is possible to delete all my postings. Not delete my account, just all my postings? or if one of the moderators would be able to do this for me? Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:44 am »
It doesn't work that way. Just don't post on them and they will go by the waste side.

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:12 am »
I have another question , i seen a doctor again about my mouth, he thinks that its Oral lichen planus (mouth rash for unknown cause) but i have to have further tests, apparently this leaves your gums are affected, so that the surface of the gum peels off, leaving the gums red and raw...too me it just feels like i burned my mouth in spots and its sore, would this make me susceptible to receiving HIV through oral? thanks

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.