Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:10:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 247
Total: 248

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does anyone know if ADAP covers surgery? UPDATE!!! They DO COVER THE PROCEDURE!  (Read 22513 times)

Offline Rjane

This was my original question: Their office is closed now and I cant give them a call. I have some pretty big varicose veins that are getting out of hand. I wonder if adap will cover the surgery. The veins are starting to cause me pain.

I just called ADAP and they DO cover the procedure! WHOOO HOOOOO!!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:47:18 am by Rjane »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Does anyone know if ADAP covers surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »
Even if they did cover surgery, which they do not, why would they cover something that is not HIV related?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rjane

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:06:04 pm »
Even if they did cover surgery, which they do not, why would they cover something that is not HIV related?

i'll give them a buzz tomorrow morning. Back in 2003 I had a minor surgical outpatient procedure for something unrelated to hiv, and adap covered it. I dont know if the rules have changed since then.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:19 pm »
ADAP covered it, or Medicaid?

Offline Rjane

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:14:31 pm »
ADAP covered it, or Medicaid?

i've never had medicaid in my life. I am certain adap covered it. It was the only insurance I had at the time.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:37 pm »
ADAP = AIDS Drug Assistance Program

ADAP is part of the Ryan White Care Act.  Thus, if you had something non-"drug" paid it was from Ryan White, not ADAP.

I still highly doubt that Ryan White funds, which are in extremely short supply, are going to be used for varicose veins.

Offline Rjane

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »
ADAP = AIDS Drug Assistance Program

ADAP is part of the Ryan White Care Act.  Thus, if you had something non-"drug" paid it was from Ryan White, not ADAP.

I still highly doubt that Ryan White funds, which are in extremely short supply, are going to be used for varicose veins.

which is why I have a plan B: jump on my wife's  health plan. If Adap doesnt cover it, I will hop on her plan until Sept when I start my new job in finance. by the way, varicose veins can be very very painful, and I think mine were caused by a car accident I had years ago. I only have two but they have become an issue
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:25:19 pm by Rjane »

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:01 pm »
which is why I have a plan B: jump on my wife's  health plan. If Adap doesnt cover it, I will hop on her plan until Sept when I start my new job in finance. by the way, varicose veins can be very very painful, and I think mine were caused by a car accident I had years ago. I only have two but they have become an issue

You better hope your wife's health plan doesn't have any pre-existing condition exclusion. If it does, and most plans do, you may have to pay for that insurance coverage for up to 12 months before they will treat your problem.

Offline Rjane

Madbrain
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:49:03 pm »
You better hope your wife's health plan doesn't have any pre-existing condition exclusion. If it does, and most plans do, you may have to pay for that insurance coverage for up to 12 months before they will treat your problem.

the other option is to pay for it out of pocket. Of course I would like Adap or her insurance to pay for it, but if need be, I will pay for it out of pocket. Thankfully, we arent broke. We are moving house, into a bigger house, while its still a buyer's market. I've got more than enough to pay for the procedure but because we are moving to a bigger home I want to cut costs. If I have to pay, I have to pay

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:32:02 pm »

In 2006 I was suffering from severe knee pain.  It was so bad that I went to the ER and the doctors there upon finding out I was HIV positive did nothing but a bunch of std tests and so forth.  They gave me a prescription for some pain med and sent me home.  The knee pain got worse and my ASO/health clinic sent me to have my knee examined by a doctor that specialized in that field.  He found that I had a torn meniscus and gave me some kind of shot.  The X-rays, MRI, and doctor visit and procedures all were covered by ADAP......  mean while I have a $3000 ER debt that told me absolutely nothing other than what I already knew, that I didn't have chlamydia or something else.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:04:20 am »
Two terms of George Bush II has pretty much decimated any and all HIV funding resources such as ADAP, RWCA and most state programs.  President Obama has not yet fixed the problwem areas.  People living with HIV/AIDS are living without needed services because those services are reduced or terminated.  Don't tell the ADAP clerk you are in Finance  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 01:28:09 am »
Rjane: As an aside if you don't mind my asking: you get ADAP even though you seem to have some means? The reason I ask is that I am worried if I lose my insurance and job I might not qualify for ADAP because I have  some money put away in savings. I know the eligibility varies by state but I wonder, do they look at one's savings or only earnings?

Don't mean to hijack the thread....thanks ;)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 03:13:00 am »
Rjane you have a lot of stuff going on lately.  Are the homemade, unadvised baby-making plans still on?

Anyway, if you have money (i.e., moving to a bigger house) and you have the ability to get on your wife's insurance (not all plans, especially with larger employers have preexisting exclusion clauses) then why are you trying to get Ryan White to cover your non-HIV related surgery? 

You really should be on wife's insurance.  You never know what may happen until you get your finance job.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 05:30:43 am »
I'm sorry, but absolutely none of this adds up to me.

If you have insurance through your wife you should have "jumped on it" long ago. Have you been treated by a doctor? Did a doctor recommend surgery? You think they were caused by an accident? You decided to give them a call? They're out of hand? I doubt many insurance plans would cover the removal of varicose veins. They consider it cosmetic or elective surgery. They might spring for some support hose.

That said, how in the world do you even qualify for ADAP? In my state you have to provide proof of income AND that you don't have access to health insurance.

Like I said none of this adds up and it doesn't sound like you're in Denmark.

Offline Rjane

Cliff
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 08:40:13 am »
Rjane you have a lot of stuff going on lately.  Are the homemade, unadvised baby-making plans still on?

Anyway, if you have money (i.e., moving to a bigger house) and you have the ability to get on your wife's insurance (not all plans, especially with larger employers have preexisting exclusion clauses) then why are you trying to get Ryan White to cover your non-HIV related surgery?  

You really should be on wife's insurance.  You never know what may happen until you get your finance job.

Cliff things are fine. Still working on baby-making and my wife is using PrEP(viread)  this time round. I am NOT trying to get on Ryan White to cover surgery. I simply asked if ADAP covers varicose vein surgery. I was not even aware there existsa Ryan White medical insurance program.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:50:30 am by Rjane »

Offline Rjane

Daschund
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 08:43:16 am »
I'm sorry, but absolutely none of this adds up to me.

If you have insurance through your wife you should have "jumped on it" long ago. Have you been treated by a doctor? Did a doctor recommend surgery? You think they were caused by an accident? You decided to give them a call? They're out of hand? I doubt many insurance plans would cover the removal of varicose veins. They consider it cosmetic or elective surgery. They might spring for some support hose.

That said, how in the world do you even qualify for ADAP? In my state you have to provide proof of income AND that you don't have access to health insurance.

Like I said none of this adds up and it doesn't sound like you're in Denmark.

I didnt jump on my wife's insurance because I only left my job a few months back, and my insurance ended about three weeks ago. Also, there is an enrollment period to "jump on my wife's" insurance. You cant just call up and say "put me on it." The open enrollment is August 7th.

As far as my qualifications for ADAP,  I prefer not to explain how i use their services except to say its intermittent use.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:49:46 am by Rjane »

Offline Rjane

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 08:48:02 am »

Offline Dachshund

Re: Daschund
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 08:53:58 am »

As far as my qualifications for ADAP,  I prefer not to explain how i use their services except to say its intermittent use.

That's all I needed to know, and no you can't use ADAP for surgery. Like I said, something ain't adding up. Purchase some over the counter support hose until you figure this out. Good luck and goodbye.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:58:32 am by Dachshund »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 09:10:13 am »

I have to agree with Dachs.  Something's not right.  Here in Indiana, we have people with little to no income waiting for months to get on ADAP, and you use it intermittently?  So, you use it whenever it suits your need?  That seems a little unfair, (and shadey).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Rjane

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:43 am »
That's all I needed to know, and no you can't use ADAP for surgery. Like I said, something ain't adding up. Purchase some over the counter support hose until you figure this out. Good luck and goodbye.

Daschund, thanks for the mention about the hose. I hear its a useful device, but one I will not need. As far as things "not adding up," its because I havent explained it all. I reveal much, but not all.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:45:59 am by Rjane »

Offline Rjane

BT65
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 09:22:43 am »
I have to agree with Dachs.  Something's not right.  Here in Indiana, we have people with little to no income waiting for months to get on ADAP, and you use it intermittently?  So, you use it whenever it suits your need?  That seems a little unfair, (and shadey).

I can offer no assistance with or insight into the inner-workings of your state's ADAP. Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:28:43 am by Rjane »

Offline Miss Philicia

This thread is full of 110% bs.

Offline Rjane

Miss P
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 10:20:03 am »
This thread is full of 110% bs.

I just called them and they said they cover the procedure IF its done at a cooperating facility/hospital and if it is an outpatient procedure, which it is, but they dont cover anesthesia.  

I will have to have this done at one of three area hospitals in my area that "cooperate" with ADAP.

I am not looking for an argument, and will not engage in one. Hopefully someone will benefit from the information contained in this thread, specifically that ADAP will cover the cost of solving most issues that affect those who suffer with HIV, varicose veins included
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:22:16 am by Rjane »

Offline Denver Toad

Sniff sniff..... I smells a troll here. Stinky one at that.

It's shit like this (varicose veins,ADAP miss-usage usage, misuse of assistance) that propagates stereotypes of less fortunate that genuinely require assistance.

Varicose veins are often considered cosmetic in nature and approval for surgery is and extended pre-approval  process. I say BS here.

If you've the wherewithal to purchase a new and larger home, access to your wives insurance, and are attempting to have a child, and are able to work; you shouldn't be tapping ADAP funds for varicose veins. There's good folks out there that need the meds far more then you.  
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Rjane

Denver Toad
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 10:30:45 am »
Sniff sniff..... I smells a troll here. Stinky one at that.

It's shit like this (varicose veins,ADAP miss-usage usage, misuse of assistance) that propagates stereotypes of less fortunate that genuinely require assistance.

Varicose veins are often considered cosmetic in nature and approval for surgery is and extended pre-approval  process. I say BS here.

If you've the wherewithal to purchase a new and larger home, access to your wives insurance, and are attempting to have a child, and are able to work; you shouldn't be tapping ADAP funds for varicose veins. There's good folks out there that need the meds far more then you.  

You can say its BS all you like but if you call ADAP you will find out its true. I have no reason to lie. As far as how I live my life and use ADAP, its really none of your business now is it? As I mentioned my varicose veins are painful. FYI blood pools in the legs of those who have varicose veins and in some, it creates a lot of pressure, leading to pain. Mine would not be a "cosmetic" procedure, and I have stated that.

As far as me being a troll, nothing could be further than the truth. As I mentioned, I am not going to argue with anyone. I have a good life, have made some good friends on here, like Ann, whom I consider a gifted writer, who has helped me out on more than one occasion, Dingowarrior, whose advice on conceiving a child proved invaluable,  and inchlingblue.

I have learned, that if one encounters a situation they consider dubious or one where time will be ill spent, its best to bypass it altogether. The comments about BS and this and that are unnecessary and waste your time more than mine. I am a positive, happy person with a good life, a life still full of wonderful possibilities and love.

thank you
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:35:57 am by Rjane »

Offline Dennis

If ADAP covers that procedure in your state; go for it! Hell! If my insurance covered a medical procedure I needed or wanted to have done I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down.

I do, however, question what your state's eligibility requirements are for ADAP. This is typcially a program reserved for those in need, and this certainly doesn't sound to be the case with you. I mean, having the cash readily available to pay for it out of pocket, and buying a newer, bigger home doesn't sound like someone who would need to benefit from this program.

Offline Rjane

Thanks Dennis
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 10:34:57 am »
If ADAP covers that procedure in your state; go for it! Hell! If my insurance covered a medical procedure I needed or wanted to have done I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down.

I do, however, question what your state's eligibility requirements are for ADAP. This is typcially a program reserved for those in need, and this certainly doesn't sound to be the case with you. I mean, having the cash readily available to pay for it out of pocket, and buying a newer, bigger home doesn't sound like someone who would need to benefit from this program.

I cant comment on the specfics of my relationship to ADAP though.

Offline Miss Philicia

Right, because it's so easy to identify someone with a screen name on an internet forum called "Rjane"...

Offline Dennis

Re: Thanks Dennis
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 10:41:19 am »
I hadn't asked for specifics  about your're relationship with ADAP. I merely enquired about the eligibility requirements for your state.

I cant comment on the specfics of my relationship to ADAP though.

Offline Rjane

Dennis
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 10:42:21 am »
I hadn't asked for specifics  about your're relationship with ADAP. I merely enquired about the eligibility requirements for your state.

I was being sarcastic. Youre a friendly guy and I appreciate that; I meant no harm. :-)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
No way that any ADAP program in America will cover ANYTHING with the exception of HIV and HIV-related medications.  They do not pay for anything other than DRUGS.  Any procedures or surgeries would be paid either through Medicaid or Ryan White.  I am also dumbfounded at your audacity, to post this crock on an AIDS website, because anyone who would try and game the ADAP program, while pozzies are literally dying, waiting for drugs through the program, is beyond despicable.

If you wonder why we have a health care problem in America, you need to look no farther than a mirror.  Americans are dying due to inadequate programs and care and even though you can easily afford your own surgery, you want someone else to pay, even when you don't qualify.  Based on your financial situation,  that you have described, you would not qualify for either ADAP or Medicaid, no matter what state you live in.

Now begone... before someone drops a house on you.

Offline Rjane

Killi
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 11:21:17 am »
No way that any ADAP program in America will cover ANYTHING with the exception of HIV and HIV-related medications.  They do not pay for anything other than DRUGS.  Any procedures or surgeries would be paid either through Medicaid or Ryan White.  I am also dumbfounded at your audacity, to post this crock on an AIDS website, because anyone who would try and game the ADAP program, while pozzies are literally dying, waiting for drugs through the program, is beyond despicable.

If you wonder why we have a health care problem in America, you need to look no farther than a mirror.  Americans are dying due to inadequate programs and care and even though you can easily afford your own surgery, you want someone else to pay, even when you don't qualify.  Based on your financial situation,  that you have described, you would not qualify for either ADAP or Medicaid, no matter what state you live in.

Now begone... before someone drops a house on you.

Call ADAP and ask. people like you keep saying "no way" when the facts are the facts. this is quickly becoming like the Obama Birth Certificate issue. lol

ADAP IN MY STATE SAID THEY WILL COVER THE PROCEDURE! PERIOD END OF STORY.

I'd suggest you take your own advice and "begone."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Really?  That's a miracle!... or whatever.  However, being a man of my word, if you will tell me which state covers such procedures, I will be happy to call them and then post their response here.  If I am wrong, I want to know, because it could help so many pozzies and I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

When I am wrong.

Offline Rjane

Killi
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 11:28:57 am »
Really?  That's a miracle!... or whatever.  However, being a man of my word, if you will tell me which state covers such procedures, I will be happy to call them and then post their response here.  If I am wrong, I want to know, because it could help so many pozzies and I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.

When I am wrong.

I have nothing to prove to you, and if you called my state you could easily say "so and so called to ask about this and blah blah blah"

I am not a child and I dont play child's games. I am getting the procedure done, ADAP is paying for it and I will pay for all other associated costs.

One of the mightiest things we can do in life is mind our own business. I suggest you sate your thirst for knowledge some other way. I will indulge this no further and will not respond to you.

cheers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
OK, I think it's time for people to step back here. Telling each other to "begone" isn't helpful and neither is calling troll. Please knock it off before I have to start handing out official warnings - and that includes warning the OP.

Personally, I don't agree with using ADAP for what is essentially an elective surgery - pain or no pain. Until you've totally exhausted other non-surgical ways of dealing with varicose veins themselves, I think you're silly for jumping into surgery. There are plenty of ways to deal with varicose veins and surgery should be a last resort. Any decent doctor will tell you this.

As others have said, ADAP programs across the country are struggling to provide meds for people who can't otherwise afford them. This seems like a misuse of the funds, whether or not your State allows it. It doesn't really sound as though you've explored other options or given them time to work. We already know you're very impatient when it comes to health-care concerns and I have a feeling this is another time where you need to have some patience and look at the bigger picture.

While I do not agree that ADAP funds should be used for something like varicose veins, I'm also not going to call Rjane a troll nor am I going to tell him to "begone". If you cannot offer Rjane some practical information on how he can be dealing with his varicose veins, please refrain from commenting.

Rjane, in turn you need to realise there are many people here who have struggled to make ends meet and struggled to qualify for programs such as ADAP and have spent time on waiting lists for much needed assistance. Some have watched others die as a direct result of not being give assistance when it was imperative to save their lives. When you post about using a program in the way you propose, you've got to expect some disagreement. However, I will say you should be able to expect to have disagreements voiced with a bit of respect instead of name-calling.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Oh, OK.  I'm not the guy who came on here trying to cheat the ADAP program to pay for something that you can afford.  I'm not the guy who claimed his state would pay, but then will not provide the name of the state and that is because NO ADAP PROGRAM PAYS FOR ANYTHING, OTHER THAN MEDICATION.

My only goal here is to insure that our readers understand that the AIDS DRUGS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (ADAP) will assist QUALIFIED pozzies with their HIV and HIV-related medications.  For EVERYTHING ELSE, they should contact either Medicaid or the Ryan White program.  And if anyone is on Medicare, you can still use the ADAP program for HIV meds, when you hit the "doughnut hole".

Edited to add:  Ann you are so right and Rjane, I apologize for my inappropriate comment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:45:13 am by killfoile »

Offline Rjane

Ann
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 11:43:21 am »
OK, I think it's time for people to step back here. Telling each other to "begone" isn't helpful and neither is calling troll. Please knock it off before I have to start handing out official warnings - and that includes warning the OP.

Personally, I don't agree with using ADAP for what is essentially an elective surgery - pain or no pain. Until you've totally exhausted other non-surgical ways of dealing with varicose veins themselves, I think you're silly for jumping into surgery. There are plenty of ways to deal with varicose veins and surgery should be a last resort. Any decent doctor will tell you this.

As others have said, ADAP programs across the country are struggling to provide meds for people who can't otherwise afford them. This seems like a misuse of the funds, whether or not your State allows it. It doesn't really sound as though you've explored other options or given them time to work. We already know you're very impatient when it comes to health-care concerns and I have a feeling this is another time where you need to have some patience and look at the bigger picture.

While I do not agree that ADAP funds should be used for something like varicose veins, I'm also not going to call Rjane a troll nor am I going to tell him to "begone". If you cannot offer Rjane some practical information on how he can be dealing with his varicose veins, please refrain from commenting.

Rjane, in turn you need to realise there are many people here who have struggled to make ends meet and struggled to qualify for programs such as ADAP and have spent time on waiting lists for much needed assistance. Some have watched others die as a direct result of not being give assistance when it was imperative to save their lives. When you post about using a program in the way you propose, you've got to expect some disagreement. However, I will say you should be able to expect to have disagreements voiced with a bit of respect instead of name-calling.

Ann

You are simply an amazing person.

R
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:15:40 pm by Rjane »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
R,

I think perhaps the person you spoke to on the phone gave you misinformation. As others have said, ADAP only covers meds and a few things med-related. Please see this link:

http://hab.hrsa.gov/programs/adap/

TITLE II: AIDS DRUG ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

The AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) provides medications for the treatment of HIV disease. Program funds may also be used to purchase health insurance for eligible clients.  Amendments to the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act in October 2000 added language allowing ADAP funds to be used for services that enhance access to, adherence to, and monitoring of drug treatments. The program is funded through Title II of the CARE Act, which provides grants to States and Territories.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rjane

Ann
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 12:13:37 pm »
R,

I think perhaps the person you spoke to on the phone gave you misinformation. As others have said, ADAP only covers meds and a few things med-related. Please see this link:

http://hab.hrsa.gov/programs/adap/

TITLE II: AIDS DRUG ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

The AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) provides medications for the treatment of HIV disease. Program funds may also be used to purchase health insurance for eligible clients.  Amendments to the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act in October 2000 added language allowing ADAP funds to be used for services that enhance access to, adherence to, and monitoring of drug treatments. The program is funded through Title II of the CARE Act, which provides grants to States and Territories.

Ann, the person was from the dept of health and the number i dialed was the number on my adap card. as I mentioned back in 2003 i had minor surgery and they paid for it

I called back again, within the last 20 minutes and was told again, they cover it. This is straight from the Adap reps mouth, and their supervisor.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Rjane, my guess would be that when you called your Health Department, and inquired about a surgery, that they said they would help you, but they should have said any medical services would be covered under the Ryan White program.  States often combine administration of HIV services under one area, which is good, because they can coordinate care, using the various public programs for payment. However, which program pays for what, can often be confusing to the clients and my point was that ADAP only covers medications. The fact that your ADAP card contains the Health Dept. number, does not mean such services would be covered by ADAP. but rather that your Health Dept. administers your ADAP program.

Regarding your varicose veins, have you spoken with a vascular surgeon?  Given present day laser treatments, they may be able to treat you that way, which would be an outpatient procedure and a lot less risky or possibly disfiguring that actual surgery.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:23:39 pm by killfoile »

Offline Rjane

Kill
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:46 pm »
Rjane, my guess would be that when you called your ADAP office, and inquired about a surgery, that they said they would help you, but they should have said any medical services would be covered under the Ryan White program.  States often combine administration of HIV services under one area, which is good, because they can coordinate care, using the various public programs for payment.  However, which program pays for what, can often be confusing to the clients and my point was that ADAP only covers medications.

Regarding your varicose veins, have you spoken with a vascular surgeon?  Given present day laser treatments, they may be able to treat you that way, which would be an outpatient procedure and a lot less risky or possibly disfiguring that actual surgery.

thanks, for the heads up. I will inquire about laser surgery. I really appreciate the info. If I dont have to go under the knife, i would rather not.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?

If I dont have to go under the knife, i would rather not.

Any reputable doctor will first insist on trying non-invasive therapies before resorting to surgery or any of the other medical based options. They normally start with insisting you wear compression stockings and that you give it time to work. In other words, you'd have to stick with using them for more than just a week or two.

Here's a list of self-help therapies normally recommended before any invasive proceedure, from the Mayo Clinic:

Self-care and home-based therapies

An important aspect for treating varicose veins is for patients to take steps they can do themselves. Such home-based therapies include:

* Leg elevation: Raising the legs above the heart for 10 to 15 minutes, three to four times daily, will drain pooled blood from the legs.
    * Compression therapy: The patient wears elastic support stockings all day to help keep blood flowing up from the legs to the heart. Special compression stockings are available through pharmacies.
    * Exercise: Any activity that gets the legs moving, such as walking, swimming or dancing, will stimulate good blood flow in the veins and strengthen the cardiovascular system.
    * Weight loss: Excess body weight adds stress and strain to the leg veins.
    * Avoiding long periods of sitting or standing. Doing such activities for a prolonged time impedes blood flow to the heart.
    * Avoiding sitting with legs crossed.
    * Avoiding high heels and tight clothing that can restrict blood flow in the legs.
    * Good skin care, such as using skin lotions to prevent fragile skin from cracking, and avoiding sun or using sunscreen, especially for fair-skinned people.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Any reputable doctor will first insist on trying non-invasive therapies before resorting to surgery or any of the other medical based options.  

That may be true of a reputable doctor, I find there are fewer and fewer of those around. There are horror stories about some doctors and especially some teaching hospitals wanting to perform surgeries that should have been considered a last resort and were not necessary in order for the interns to get surgical practice as well as to be able to bill for the procedure. Rjane, you should get a second opinion, they might have no problem operating on you for the reasons stated above, not because it's in your best interest.

There was a recent piece by a journalist who went to see doctors in several different countries for a shoulder ailment, in order to compare how each country's system handled the same ailment. The doctor in the US was the only one who recommended surgery to replace the rotator cuff. All the other doctors from different countries had other options that did not require surgery and were better for this patient. Go figure.

I don't think it's right to judge Rjane for wanting to use ADAP/Ryan White if it's available as an option. If his particular state covers it then that means that his particular state still has the funds. I'd consider moving there if they are doing so well that their ADAP/Ryan White is still flush! It's not like his procedure would mean someone will go without HIV meds, cuts to these programs begin way before that is considered.

If only we had universal health care coverage in the good ol' USA, as so many other industrialized countries do. Whether rich or poor or anywhere in between, health care should be a basic right, whether it's for varicose veins or cancer or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:52:38 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Dachshund

Was I seeing things or did you edit out the part about talking to a vascular surgeon this morning? You said he quoted you a price of $400 of which $200 you would have to pay and the rest would be covered by ADAP.

All this confusion could be cleared up if you would be so kind as to tell us what state you're living in. It would be a service to people living with HIV in your state who might not know that ADAP covers out patient surgery.

Offline Rjane

Daschund
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »
Was I seeing things or did you edit out the part about talking to a vascular surgeon this morning? You said he quoted you a price of $400 of which $200 you would have to pay and the rest would be covered by ADAP.

All this confusion could be cleared up if you would be so kind as to tell us what state you're living in. It would be a service to people living with HIV in your state who might not know that ADAP covers out patient surgery.

I did remove that blurb when I found out ADAP covers the procedure. However I did NOT say that "adap would cover the rest." I said the doctor would work out an arrangement that I will not get into.

If anyone wants info or is looking for definitive answers, better to contact ADAP directly and not rely on info obtained from this site. Since ADAP funding can vary from state to state, my state's ADAP fund may differ from yours (in subtle ways).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:24:19 pm by Rjane »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 03:27:20 pm »
I did remove that blurb when I found out ADAP covers the procedure.

If anyone wants info or is looking for definitive answers, better to contact ADAP directly and not rely on info obtained from this site. Since ADAP funding can vary from state to state, my state's ADAP fund may differ from yours (in subtle ways).

This is why people are doubting the veracity of your story. Naming the state that offers this type of coverage would be a definative answer. Wouldn't hurt you and could possibly help others. That said, I'm tired of this nonsense.

As for the "blurb" you deleted you said the surgeon told you ADAP would cover it. Your story changed considerably after your blurb delete.

just sayin
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:29:12 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Rjane

Daschund
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 03:29:24 pm »
This is why people are doubting the veracity of your story. Naming the state that offers this type of coverage would be a definative answer. Wouldn't hurt you and could possibly help others. That said, I'm tired of this nonsense.

As for the "blurb" you deleted you said the surgeon told you ADAP would cover it. Your story changed considerably after your blub delete.

just sayin

Like I said. People should call their state ADAP office and confirm. I called mine and they said they cover the cost of the procedure. I am not going to tarry on this point. You have a good day now.

Thank you and good bye.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:33:34 pm by Rjane »

Offline Oceanbeach

Mr. Rjane, I clicked ignore, goodbye

Offline Miss Philicia

There's been so much post-hoc editing in this thread by Rjane that's it's been rendered a bit useless.  Bad netiquette, darling.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
I don't understand why you won't just tell us the state you live in (cough, cough).  Oh, nevermind.  I do understand.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.