Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:15:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Living with HIV. I agree!  (Read 2986 times)

Offline zeb

Living with HIV. I agree!
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:39:20 pm »
A quote of Joel Gallant
source: thebody.com

I had to share this with you after reading it:

HIV and Lifespan

For my final question, I wanted to get your idea about mortality issues. Everyone newly diagnosed wants to know what his or her chances of living a normal lifespan is. Are there any new data about that?

Well, not so much data. You've heard different presentations, trying to estimate lifespan. There was a lot of fuss about the one that gave an estimate of 24 years. I tell my patients: ignore those studies. Not that they are not good studies; they are very useful. But they are talking about large populations. In those populations are included people who don't take their medications, people who are actively injecting drugs, people who have hepatitis C, people who have renal failure.... If you're not one of those people, if you're just a healthy person who plans on taking every dose of your medications, then those kinds of estimates are meaningless to you.

I tell my patients that they should expect to live a normal lifespan, and to die of something other than AIDS, when they're old.
I tell my patients that, granted, these new therapies ... the whole idea of suppressive therapy has been only around for 11 years, so it's still relatively young. But we're not seeing [in] people who have undetectable viral loads; we're not seeing their virus evolve and become more resistant, or harder to treat. So I tell them that they should expect to live a normal lifespan, and to die of something other than AIDS, when they're old.

Can I promise this 100 percent? No. But I do think that it's a pretty realistic prediction. But I know that every time somebody publishes some study about what the average lifespan is, I'm going to get 40 e-mails and 20 calls from people, saying, "But you told me that I was going to live a long time." So, be careful how you extrapolate data to your own personal situation.

So, basically, on the whole, would you say the news from CROI was positive for patients living with HIV?

Oh, yes. I think definitely the news from CROI and from other recent conferences, like Toronto and some of the other meetings. The fact is, we've got incredibly good initial therapy now that could last you for decades if you do it right. Then, if things don't work out with the initial therapy, or if you get toxicity or side effects, we've got a lot of options to go to that will work when the first line therapy fails.

We used to say you have got one or two good shots at antiretroviral therapy, and I would say we can go much further than that now. But at the same time, people on initial therapy are much less likely to fail than people were in the early part of the HAART era. So I think the news, from a treatment standpoint, is great.

full interview can be found here:
http://www.thebody.com/hivmonth/thismonth0307.html

Take care,
Zeb

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
Re: Living with HIV. I agree!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:44:24 pm »
Great, positive (wow) post, Zeb.  Thanks for sharing!

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline scotttt

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:46:31 pm »
Thank you Zeb.  Beautiful!  Words of hope make my heart soar!!!!!

Offline Fosbery

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:51:10 pm »

I agree, thanks for that info, it helps us newbies to stay positive, that we will live a normal lifespan.

It helps me allot.
Thanks again.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:27:10 pm »
i listened to the podcast yesterday. there was a lot of interesting stuff.

http://thebody.com/hivmonth/thismonth.html
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 02:49:59 pm »
HEy Zebbie

thanks for the article. It makes senses to expect to live many years and why not a normal lifespan. Many of my concerns deal with the quality of life and not the quantity. I want to live a long life but only if I am not stuck in hospitals for the last decade of my life. If all works out well kudos to us.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline zeb

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:38:26 pm »
Well hope,

I agree with you. I wonder what the future has in mind for us. I just have a simple way of looking at it: when i can live a good lifespan and when i'm able to work, take care of my kids and love the ones close to me it's okay, hiv won't be an obstacle in reaching my goals.

Well let's wait and see. Now i want to quit smoking else 'not dying of aids' will be too much a self fulfiling prophecy.

greets
Zeb

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.