Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:33:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 791
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 762
Total: 763

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Heart disease and HIV  (Read 4160 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Heart disease and HIV
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:35:32 pm »
There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding this subject recently. The main issue seems to be hyperlipidemia caused by ARV therapy.

But, folks, let's face facts here. Part of the problem also is our egregious diet coupled with our propensity to be couch (or internet) potatoes.

I ran across this link that I thought was interesting. It will help to gauge where your risk of heart attack is at this time.

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/atpiii/calculator.asp

I checked it out and my risk is 8 percent, or 8 people out of 100 will suffer heart attacks.

I found it quite interesting.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Heart disease and HIV
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:05:57 pm »
Part of the problem also is our egregious diet coupled with our propensity to be couch (or internet) potatoes.

Absolutely Comrade M. Add to that how many of us smoke and drink to excess and lifestyle issues top the poll.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:08:17 pm »
Thanks, Mark.  I shall punch in my latest numbers tomorrow.  Although I have done this thin in the past and had, ahem...higher risk than 6%.  I want to say mine was somewhere between 18-24%.  That was also, mind you, before I got on cholesterol meds and my chol. count was topping 550.  Whew.  I was bleeding parkay.

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about with these other "lifestyle issues". 

::whistles:: ::)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57:06 pm »
Wow, Timmy.  That was quite a cholesterol you had there.  Mine was high, not sure of the exact number.  But enough for the doc to put me on cholesterol medication (Lipitor).  That worked wonders with it.  My triglycerides are high, but I'm diabetic and such problem is quite normal with diabetics.  Oh, my risk was only 1%.  But I couldn't remember my exact HDL level, so I just put in 80. 

Thanks, Mark for the link.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:59:54 pm »
Yeah.  I kinda wondered if there was an actual "lethal" number for cholesterol and if I was close at all to it if there was.  I remember approx 200 being considered the top out level, I think.  I was well more than twice the level, whatever it was.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »
Hey Mark,

I don't have the information to plug in at the moment but, my blood pressure has caused some concern at the clinic.  I am supposed to drop by periodically to have it checked.  I have also been started back on cholestorol medications and childrens aspirin.  Doctor says, when we were first diagnosed, we were expected to live 5 years and now, we are taking an overall health approach to prolong life as it is now possible for people with HIV.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »
Interesting Mark,

I'm an 8% guy also.  But that was before Lipitor was added to my daily meds.  Will see on Tuesday if it has had any effect.  Still have mitral valve prolapse.  So that does limit my activities way more than I'd like.  Thom will not let me shovel any snow, but I can walk behind the snow blower.  So I can still be somewhat of a help.  He'd rather I stay in the kitchen and cook.

Regards all, Ric
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:46:04 pm by Ric Wilke »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 12:19:25 am »
Yeesh.

12%. Damn thing must be busted.

MtD

Offline ademas

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 12:29:43 am »
15% here,
which is better than I thought it would be.

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 05:15:08 am »
Part of the problem also is our egregious diet coupled with our propensity to be couch (or internet) potatoes.

Absolutely Comrade M. Add to that how many of us smoke and drink to excess and lifestyle issues top the poll.

MtD

When I exercise  regularly  and vigorously for 30 days  my BP drops 25 points. Now how nuts is it i dont?

If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 07:36:03 am »

I checked mine, according to my latest blood test results :

Total Cholesterol:  205 mg/dL 
HDL Cholesterol:  50 mg/dL 
Smoker:  No 
Systolic Blood Pressure:  125 mm/Hg 
On medication for HBP:       No 
Risk Score*  7%
Means 7 of 100 people with this level of risk will have a heart attack in the next 10 years. 
   * Your risk score was calculated using an equation. Other NCEP products, such as printed ATP III materials, use a point system to determine a risk score that is close to the equation score

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 07:51:41 am »
Still have mitral valve prolapse.  So that does limit my activities way more than I'd like. 

Regards all, Ric

I have two valves that are prolapsed-mitral and tricuspid.  I'm wondering why you have to limit your activities. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.