Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:53:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 625
Total: 626

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: please advise im confused  (Read 6048 times)

Offline bubba2121

please advise im confused
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:23:30 am »
Hello:

I had a sexual encounter 30 days ago which then had a hiv test on the 30th day,  the elisa came back positive and the western blot came back indeterminate with only p18 showing. I then had a dnapcr test done and it was negative. I was also diagnosed with epstein barr which my physician thinks caused the indetrminate western blot.  He reads these as negative due to the sensitivity of the dnapcr which he said would have caught something  way before the western blot since it searches for the virus rather than antibodies and that no relevant strands were present of the western blot .  Also, i had a cd4,12,20 done all of which were negative.  I aslo had batteries of blood work done as well and all was negative, ranging from sed rate to cbc, all std etc.

would you say based on that ,,that he is correct in the determination of the HIV virus.

thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: please advise im confused
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:26:46 am »
Bubba,

ELISA Positive + Western Blot Indeterminate == HIV negative.

Perhaps you might tell us a little more about this sexual encounter?

MtD

Offline bubba2121

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 08:31:11 am »
The sexual encounter was general it was a girlfriend for a brief time just had sex now ejaculation inside or anything like that,, pretty neutral boring sex.

I was stressed out due to all the stuff you can read on the web. My dr says i should stop worrying and that the elisa and wb may always show something but the pcr is so sensitive that i can stop worrying,  You guys know so much i just need some reassurance.

you say its negative  but what is p18  can you help on that

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:00 am »
So you had unprotected vaginal sex with this woman?

MtD

Offline bubba2121

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:13 am »
yes then waited 30 days and proceeded with the tests and results as stated above

Offline bubba2121

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 08:46:12 am »
so would you still say its ok based on the fact that the conversion woudl have happened at 22 days and the test were done at 30 days with a negative onthe pcr which according to the cdc dont give false negatives??

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:49:26 am »
OK.

You should test again at 90 days (12-13 weeks) and that test should be an HIV antibody test. Your current tests are indeterminate and therefore are not conclusive.

The PCR test which your doctor bases his/her decision on is not approved for diagnostic purposes, though it does point to you being HIV negative.

Whilst you're about all this testing you should have a full sexual health screen performed. There are other sexually transmitted infections such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea out there which are more prevalent and transmissible than HIV. A full screen will include, but is not limited to an HIV antibody test. Ask your doctor to arrange this.

MtD

Offline bubba2121

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:56:18 am »
i had that already full std screening hep , ghonorea, syph,chlaymedia,herpes etc and all negative.

I understand that it is not for diagnostic purposes but he said that some people always come back for western blot indeterminate with positive eliza and that the pcr is the only way to confirm.

is it true that the pcr is not used due to the sensitivity of it and that is can come back with flase positives on a more regular basis and its more costly so they dont standardize it. 

However, if you were me woudl you breathe easy?

Also, the strand p18 usually never shows up first in a hiv positive person is that correct its usually 24 or something so do youknow what 18 is?

Thanks for you help really appreciate it

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:01:26 am »
Le sigh.

No, none of this palaver you're talking about is what you have to do.

If you want a conclusive HIV test result you have to have an HIV antibody test performed 12-13 weeks from the date of the unprotected sexual encounter.

Are you following me here, kid?

MtD

Offline bubba2121

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 09:11:33 am »
yes i follow,,, i justhave 1 last question,,,,,,if the elisa come back positive again and the western blot back indeterminate and the dnapcr comes back negative a second time would you then rule that as negative at the 13 week mark.

Sorry for the bother,,,, really appreciate it

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 09:29:04 am »
Let's burn that bridge when we jump off it, eh? :)

Get tested (HIV antibody not PCR) at 12-13 weeks and tell us the results.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 09:33:03 am »
Matty has given you the real deal. You need to re-test at 12-13 weeks with the ELISA for a reliable result. Hopefully you will continue to test negative.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit and it's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. With those earlier results and yours having been a brief single incident, the likelihood is that you will test negative.

But low risk is not the same as no risk. You need to keep this in mind for the future. You can have as much sex as you want to and with as many partners, but you must use a condom everytime. No exceptions no matter what you think you know about the person's history or anything else.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.