Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:48:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 249
Total: 251

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please Help to Assess My Hiv Risk  (Read 22600 times)

Offline Waiting Ryan

Please Help to Assess My Hiv Risk
« on: April 24, 2007, 04:20:03 pm »
Hello to all,

I am currently in week nine of the worst period of my life.  A drunken fool, I had vaginal sex with a prostitute.  We used a condom, however, it broke as her vagina was dry.  I pulled out immediately and that was the end of it.

Around day 7, I began to get a superficial burning around my genitals.  This lasted for about 3 days.

Around Day 10, I began to have pretty bad testicular pain in both testicles.  This lasted for about a week.

At this point I was tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea.  Negative on both counts.

Around day 20, I began to have diarrhea.  This lasted for about 2 days.

Since then I have had swollen glands in my groin.  This is what has really worries me.  They have been swollen for around 6 weeks now and are a constant reminder that I may have contracted HIV.

I have tested Negative with an OraQuick Advance at 6 weeks.

I also tested Negative with a PCR DNA Test and ELISA done through LabCorp at 8 weeks.

I know that I a 3 Month antibody test is the only test deemed conclusive by the CDC.  But I am going out of my mind with worry.  I don't know how I've made it through the past 9 weeks.  I really don't.  I'm just running out of gas to deal with this.  What are my chances based on the exposure, the symptoms, and the testing that I have set forth?  Any advice would really help.

Bless you all,

Ryan

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Please Help to Assess My Hiv Risk
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:35:35 pm »
OK, despite what your mind and your symptoms are telling you, Ryan, you're in pretty good shape as far as HIV is concerned.

The condom protected you until it broke. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit, and even IF the woman you were with is HIV+, which is not a certainty, it is significantly harder to transmit from female to male. Given that it was a brief possible exposure and adding in those several negative test results I expect you will continue to test negative.

All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to HIV virus.

As for your symptoms, the tension factor aside, you should be discussing symptoms with your doctor. There is nothing HIV-specific about your symptoms, which is no surprise because I don't see HIV as being an issue for you.

Get tested at 13 weeks, collect what I expect will be another negative result and get on with your life.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:21:04 pm »
Andy, thank you very much for your quick and reassuring reply.  I will no doubt test out to 3 months to make absolutely sure.  However, your response will make the next 3 weeks much easier to bear.

I was also wondering if anyone had an opinion on my DNA PCR test result.  I know that I was foolish to have one done given the rate of false positives and that the test is not approved by the FDA for diagnostic purposes.  However, it was a decision that I made in haste and under duress.

That being said, how much comfort can I take from the negative DNA PCR result that I collected at 8 weeks?

In other words, can I be confident in my negative PCR result?  I know that the vast majority of experts (if not all) believe that such a test isn't conclusive and should not recommended for diagnostic purposes.  So, I'm testing out to 3 months no matter what.  However, now that I have collected a negative DNA PCR result, how much comfort can I take from it?

Also, why isn't the DNA PCR test recommended for diagnostic purposes?  Is it only the cost and the high rate of false positives?  Are there also concerns of false negatives?  Is there just too little in the way of data?

Thanks again to Andy, and thanks in advance to any other contributors to the thread.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:18:10 pm »
Also, why isn't the DNA PCR test recommended for diagnostic purposes?  Is it only the cost and the high rate of false positives?  Are there also concerns of false negatives?  Is there just too little in the way of data?

You nailed it, kid. PCR testing has an unacceptably high rate of false positives. As I understand it false negatives are not a concern. PCR testing is really designed to be one of a number of tools for monitoring disease progression and treatment efficacy in HIV positive people.

If you're already stressed now, can you imagine what a false positive PCR test would do? In any event, a positive PCR test would have to be backed up by appropriate antibody testing at the 12-13 week mark.

The reality is that you're gonna have to wait out the window period and have that antibody test at 13 weeks. If you've lasted 9 weeks, you can cope for another 3.

MtD

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:41:27 pm »
Thanks Matty,

I knew that I was taking a big risk in that regard and that it was foolish.  So, I may have dodged a bullet simply by NOT getting a false positive.    Hopefully I will dodge yet another bullet in 3 weeks.  However, given your statement regarding false negatives not being a concern, would you think that I could be "confident" until then?

Best,

Ryan

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 07:36:12 pm »
Ryan,

Like Goderator Andy, Matty the Damned is extremely confident that you'll return a definitive negative antibody test result at the close of the window period.

If I may, allow me to offer another piece of advice. Try to avoid combing the internet, even this site, for information about HIV/AIDS and it's related stuff during the next three weeks. That way madness lies. Get on with your life. Go about your normal business and don't fall into the trap of obsessing about this stuff.

MtD

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »
Matty, thank you for your reassurances.  Thanks also for what I am coming to learn is very sage advice.

Best,

Ryan

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:18:34 pm »
Ryan, I just want to add on to Matty's suggestion. By staying productively busy during the rest of your waiting time it can pass more quickly than you may imagine at this moment.

Every negative test result is always good news. Taking all of the facts into consideration I do expect you will come out of this ok when you re-test.

Now, get busy with other things. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 05:13:58 am »
Ryan,

I also certainly expect you to test conclusively negative at the end of your window period.

What I'm more concerned about now is that you come out of this knowing the correct way to use condoms. A correctly used condom rarely breaks, so please read through the three condom and lube links in my signature line.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms correctly and consistently and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 05:05:39 pm »
Thanks Ann,

I must tell you that aside from this incident, I am really quite safe and responsible when it comes to sex.  I always use condoms, and always use them properly.  I owe the error in judgment and the condom failure to being a drunken fool.  Hopefully this incident will serve as a valuable lesson and nothing more.

Best,

Ryan

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 04:46:05 pm »
Just wanted to give an update to those that are interested.  I just received another negative result with an OraQuick Rapid Test.  This makes 10 weeks for me.  I know I have to wait a couple more weeks, but it's nice to have another confidence boost.  Just thought I would share.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Ryan

Offline Waiting Ryan

Hello all,

In a discussion that I was having on another board, it was pointed out that Proviral DNA testing and PCR testing has just appeared on a list of tests endorsed by the CDC for the purposes of detecting HIV in the blood.  The list is actually on hivtest.org.  However, hivtest.org is a service of the CDC.

At any rate, here is the link:

http://hivtest.org/subindex.cfm?FuseAction=FAQ#2

If you will notice, the link states that the "proviral DNA amplification method, a less available blood test that can be used to resolve an initial indeterminate Western blot result in certain situations." 

Of the PCR test it states, "Although expensive and labor-intensive, the test can detect the virus even in someone only recently infected."

From what I understand, this list just recently appeared.  I wonder if this means that there might be some new developments in the field of NAT and PCR testing with respect to its unacceptably high rates of false positives.  I certainly don't mean to make a definitive proclaimation as such, but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, comments, concerns, further insight, etc.

Also, I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between "Nucleic acid testing (e.g., viral RNA or proviral DNA amplification method" and PCR testing.

Best,

Ryan

Offline RapidRod

It's nothing new, it's just the CDC has accepted there use.

Offline Matty the Damned

Offline Waiting Ryan

Well, at the very least it's something new because the CDC has now accepted their use for diagnostic purposes.  Previously, I think only the RNA test was approved for diagnostic purposes.  The DNA test was only used for screening purposes.  I could have that backwards, I'm not sure.

Anyway, and I know it's a stretch, but don't you think that the CDC's acceptance of their use could signal that they are coming around to them as being definitive diagnostic tests.  I mean, before now, you could barely find any mention of PCR testing by the CDC.  Who knows?  Maybe we could be seeing a change in policy here.

Best,

Ryan

Offline Waiting Ryan

Sorry Matty, didn't know the rules.  Can I merge the thread somehow?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 11:24:44 pm »
OK. I've merged your threads here. Please keep all of your questions and comments in this same thread.

It helps others to follow the conversation and also to respond more intelligently to you.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 09:21:55 am »
Thanks Andy.  Sorry for the goof.  Any comments though on the new CDC info?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 09:42:44 am »
Ryan,

Most of the tests newly listed by the CDC aren't ones that are or will be in general use. Why they decided to list them now, I don't know.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 11:01:08 am »
Ann, why do you suggest that these tests won't be the ones in general use?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 11:05:41 am »
Ryan,

Because for the most part, they are unnecessary. They are also expensive and labour intensive.

You have to have any of those tests confirmed with a positive ELISA and WB if they give a positive result, and they have to be confirmed with a negative ELISA result at the end of the three month window period if they give a negative result. It makes more sense in most cases to stick to the ELISA testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 12:00:25 pm »
Ann, my suggestion was that the CDC adding these tests to the list might be foreshadowing a change in policy.  Namely, that such tests might have reached a level of accuracy and dependability that they will be considered stand alone confirmatory tests.  It's obviously just a theory though.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 01:29:59 pm »
We prefer here to deal with real situations and to focus on them in terms of level of risk.

Guessing what the CDC may or may not do is another form of WHAT IFs, a domain I don't find productive to put energy into. The recent announcement falls under the heading of what I call a non-event.

Cheers, 

Andy Velez

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 03:08:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply Andy.

Ryan

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 07:52:08 pm »
Hello all,

I was just wondering how aidsmed.com formulated its position on the 3 month window for a definitive antibody test.  The CDC for example, states that only 97% of people will have detectable levels of antibodies by 3 months. 

Now I understand that many in the HIV community state that this is overly conservative, and that the other 3% are those with suppressed immune systems etc.  However, in my research, I haven't really found too many official agencies that back the 3 month window.  Most stick to this 6 month window endorsed by the CDC.

Does anyone have any insight on this?  Or know of any agencies that do back the 3 month window?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 08:01:36 pm »
However, in my research, I haven't really found too many official agencies that back the 3 month window.  Most stick to this 6 month window endorsed by the CDC.

Le sigh.

When a WW utters the words "in my research" you just know he's hopped aboard the Crazy Train with a one-way ticket to Central Station. What did Matty the Damned tell you about googling "HIV testing", Ryan?

Let me assure you that almost every reputable agency in the western world holds to the 3 month window period. In Australia and the UK it's 12 weeks and has been for years. In the American state of Massachusetts (eminently sensible people) the window period is 6 weeks because of the testing kits they use.

AIDSMEDS advises a window period of 13 weeks because that's what the current science and common sense supports. We've never been wrong yet, so I don't think we're gonna start now. And contrary to what your "research" reveals, I believe the CDC supports the same.

But you believe whatever you want. Matty the Damned learned long ago that a determined WW cannot have his mind changed by simple reason, fact and logic.

MtD

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 08:10:45 pm »
Thanks for the response Matty.  However, I was just commenting on the fact that the CDC actually recommends testing beyond 3 months, or at least do so impliedly by saying that only 97% of people will develop detectable levels of antibodies by 3 months.

I don't doubt the 3 month window.  I just wonder why the CDC seems to be more conservative than everybody else.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 08:16:38 pm »
If you would have continued to read they give the reasons for one to test longer than 3 months. It's very rare for it to happen to begin with.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 10:33:29 am »
I don't doubt the 3 month window.  I just wonder why the CDC seems to be more conservative than everybody else.

You do doubt it.  You said so earlier and you continue to question it.  As for the CDC being conservative, they are a Government Agency, they are ALWAYS conservative.  Look at the stance on abstinence instead of proper sex education and condom programs, UBER-conservative.

Listen to matty.  Quit doing "research", because your fears are driving what you are calling "results" you are undeniably biased.  We aren't.  Stay off the net, quit googling and get busy living.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 09:05:32 pm »
To Matty and others,

Why is the window period in Massachusetts six weeks?  What kind of test kit do they use that can reduce the window period by such a margin?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 09:20:45 pm »
Ryan, if you contact Mass. Department of Health, they will tell you that if you are at high risk for HIV they recommend that you return at three months and retest. What is a high risk person. Anyone that has unprotected vaginal or anal sex with multiple partners, anyone that has had sex with a KNOWN hiv+ person and those that are IV drug users.

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 10:24:45 pm »
Thanks for the response RapidRod.  That is what I assumed.  I was just wondering about Matty's reference to the "test kits" Mass uses, as if they were somehow more advanced or something.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 10:52:33 pm »
They use OraQuick Advance 1/2 tests by OraSure. Which are very reliable tests.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:08:56 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »
All the clinics in my area use the OraQuick 1/2 test.  I believe it is manufactured by OraSure.  Do you know if this type of test is just as accurate?  I will be going in a couple of weeks for what I hope to be a confirmed negative result.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2007, 11:10:05 pm »
Very accurate, if taken at the correct time.

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 01:50:26 pm »
Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 02:30:15 pm »
It's an FDA-approved test, Ryan. As Rod has said, done at the proper waiting time it yields a reliable result.

Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 10:21:06 pm »
Hello all.  I just wanted to give everyone an update.  I just got a negative antibody test at 13 weeks.  I was very relieved to say the least.  However, I think it's going to take some time to repair my psyche.  Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who offered your knowledge and support to me in this trying time.  Thanks to all of you.  God Bless.

Ryan

Offline richdelion

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 11:28:27 pm »
I hear that most people seroconvert between 4-6 weeks, would a 6 weeks test be conclusive? Im pretty sure a 10 week test will not change at the 13th week, so I am not sure why you need to test at the 13th week? you are negative, congrats ;D

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007, 11:55:52 pm »
Rich, you are hardly in a position to be giving other people advice. Please stay in your own thread and leave the advice giving to those of us who know what we're doing.

It's all in the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now.

MtD

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2007, 10:49:22 pm »
Hello again,

I haven't gotten the piece of mind that I thought a 3 month negative would give me.  About a week ago, I started to notice a big white patch on the back of my tongue.  I brushed it with my tooth brush and it went away.  However, it came back a few days later.  I brushed it away again, and it came back again.  Now it burns.  I'm worried that this is oral thrush and I plan on seeing my doctor ASAP.  This is NOT a case of me looking for symptoms.  After my 3 month negative, I was moving on.  I just happened upon this growth on the back of my tongue.

Anyway, I went for another antibody test and received a negative result after 4 months and a few days.  Is it possible that my immune system is taking a long time for a detectable level of antibodies to develop?  Would oral thrush be a sign of this?  Is it possible that HIV itself could have already weakened my immune system such that it wouldn't produce antibodies?

Over, the past month, I started to feel myself again.  In other words, I wasn't dreading every waking moment in fear.  That fear is starting to crawl back into me as I feel this burning on my tongue and in the back of my mouth.  If anybody is up and around, please let me know what you think.  Thanks a bunch.

Ryan

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 03:53:33 am »
No and no. Move on, you're negative.

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2007, 12:51:46 pm »
If you would have continued to read they give the reasons for one to test longer than 3 months. It's very rare for it to happen to begin with.

Rod, thanks for your response.  I was just wondering, a while ago you said that the CDC gives the reasons why someone should test beyond 3 months.  The only thing that I have seen the CDC comment on with respect to this issue is that it's very rare for someone to take up to six months to develop anitbodies.  Additionally, it says that 97% of people will develop antibodies by 3 months.  However, I don't see it said anywhere why it would take longer than three months.  It has been suggested to me by others that the other 3% are those people with compromised immune systems, i.e. people receiving chemotherapy, people with lupus, IV drug users, etc.  I was just wondering if you or anyone else could direct me to where the CDC explains why someone would want to test beyond 3 months.

"Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks (the average is 25 days). Even so, there is a chance that some individuals will take longer to develop detectable antibodies. Therefore, if the initial negative HIV test was conducted within the first 3 months after possible exposure, repeat testing should be considered >3 months after the exposure occurred to account for the possibility of a false-negative result. Ninety-seven percent of persons will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV. "

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/qa/be_tested.htm#wait

I'm sorry if I seem like I am refusing to listen to the advice I'm receiving.  I know that the CDC is considered to be VERY conservative.  And I know that the odds of me being positive is minute.  However, I am supposed to be married later this year.  I don't even care about myself at this point.  I care about my futue wife.  I cannot bring myself to resume our normal life together until I am 100% sure that I am negative.

Thanks for listening,

Ryan

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2007, 01:02:58 pm »
Also, I know that the rules of Aidsmeds is that HIV- people are supposed to stick to the "Am I Infected" forum.  However, I wanted to know if it was okay for me to visit the "AIDS Activism" forum.  I would like to get involved in some voluteer work and assume that I could get a lot of information over there. 

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2007, 01:40:40 pm »
Ryan,

Read what you want, just don't post anywhere other than this thread or Off Topic. If you want to do volunteer work, ask at your local AIDS Service Organisation. Thanks.

You do not fall into a possible late-seroconverter category. You are absolutely, conclusively hiv negative. Hiv is not a prerequisite of thrush - if you even have thrush. See your doctor.

You are hiv negative - use condoms correctly and stay that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 02:03:29 pm »
I saw my doctor.  He says that I don't have thrush.  However, I do have inflamed paillae - possibly "hairy tongue."  I have read that hairy tongue is also associated with HIV, and I have never had something like this before. 

My doctor has advised me that my negative test is conclusive.  However, it's just so unsettling. 

Thanks for listening,

Ryan 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 07:15:46 pm »
A "hairy tongue" is not a sign of HIV infection. Your test results are conclusive. You do not have HIV.

MtD

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2007, 09:50:08 pm »
Hello again,

I am now 5 months negative.  I haven't exactly been dwelling on the possibility of HIV infection.  However, a little fear still lingers.  I just don't think that I will be able to completely move on until I get a 6 month negative.  Then, even the archaic CDC will have to give me a clean bill of health.

At any rate, over the past couple of days I have been suffering from an enlarged submental lymph node, the one directly behind your chin.  You can nearly see the darn thing from across the room.  This thing is really freaking me out.  That along with the persistent white tongue just keep a little bit of fear in me.

Have any of you had any experience with an enlarge submental node?  Or know anything about such a symptom?  Thanks in advance.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2007, 10:12:41 pm »
This is not an HIV concern. If you have a concern, see your doctor.

Offline Waiting Ryan

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 09:42:05 pm »
Hello,

I once again did something foolish involving a possible risk.  I am much more calm than the last time I went through this ordeal, but nevertheless, I am a little uneasy.

My incident involves cunnilingus and deep french kissing with a stripper.  The kissing lasted only a couple minutes, and the cunnilingus lasted only a few short seconds.  I have read a few threads that indicate that neither kissing nor cunnilingus is a risk for HIV transmission.  However, I have a couple variables that might be of concern:

1) I have sensitive gums which are prone to bleeding when I brush my teeth, etc.  Would sensitive gums increase the likelihood of transmission?

2) What I am more worried about is that I had used some cocaine shortly before the incident.  It dried the heck out of my mouth.  So, whatever defense saliva provides was probably nonexistent. 

3) I was also biting my lips and cheeks because of the cocaine.  So, there may have been a small cut in my mouth or a small split in my lip.  There definitely wasn't any type of large bleeding wound though.

4) The cocaine irritated by sinuses badly enough that they began to bleed the next day.  I don't think they were bleeding at the time of the incident, but they were obviously very irritated.

Please advise if you think this encounter contains any possibility of HIV infection.  I have been completely faithful to one person since my last conclusive test.  Do you think that this encounter warrants further testing?

Many thanks to you all.

Best,

Ryan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.