Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:53:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 666
Total: 667

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ah, life in the hinterland  (Read 1940 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Ah, life in the hinterland
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:13 am »
Life in a rural area has its perks  ;D

http://www.daily-times.com/ci_12087238?source=most_viewed

This is about eight miles south of where I live.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:09:39 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

Re: Ah, life in the hinterland
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:08 am »

mark.

I'm reading Farewill to Ormes.  It's an autobiography my English professor from CC wrote.  He writes about teaching English in Raton for 3 years just as the depression hit.  Then his next gig occured in Segundo, a coal camp just went of Trinidad, CO. where is also coached the girls basketball team.  Pumas (mountain lions) galore, he writes.

He spent most of his time climbing and hiking solo in the Spanish Peaks.

robt

Offline Robert

Re: Ah, life in the hinterland
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »
hi mark.

I've been doing some more reading this morning and have to add this item from the book about life in small towns that I just mentioned.  It's a very revealing nugget that once again proves that old addage of the more things change the more they stay the same, small town or not.

In the mid 20's, after his graduation from college, my professor took a job in Hanover, Colorado, east of Colorado Springs, on the  old Pueblo Road and few miles beyond Fountain.  It was so small and such a poor community that there wasn't "...enough money in the community to buy two pounds of sugar the same day."

He (Professor Ormes) met the father of one of his students.

"He's a lazy boy amine.  You whupim if he don't learn.  YOu whupim till he pay 'tention to you and learns."

One day the words were still in his mind.  Whip him. Skin him alive.  "Mervin, you will step outside and wait in front of the door.  I will attend to you when school is dismissed."

"Ye, sir"  Mervin spoke with alacrity.  He as almost eager, as though they were to be partners.

"Mervin, you will go out and brink in a stick from near the toilet." 

He waited.  The boy was completely under his control.  An odd sense of power unfamiliar to him, surged in his veins.

"Are you going to whip me?"

"I'm going to flog you.  Step over to the bed and face the wall.  Take down your trousers."

The boy complied.

"Knell down and lean over the bed."

(Professor Ormes) ...was aware of a stiffening, pleasurable, in his own trousers.  The beginning of an erection.  He had the stick in his hand and was looking down at the bare legs of the boy when he got control of himself.

"Now get up and pull your pants up....."

The boy looed at him with a kind of reverence as he left.

He (Professor Ormes) sank to his knees and threw his bulk into the boy's print on the bed.  "Oh God!"  The words were a supplication.

He could not wallow in forgiveness....He could hardly be thankful that he had not quite done anything.  Every crime was in it.  Rape, brutality.  He thrashed at the very comfort of the bed.  The (fathers's) words  he had listened to and soaked up were not the cause.  The cause was in himself.  He wished it had a form he could cut out with a knife  He could not trust himself.

He had been crazy.  Utterly mad.  Perhaps we are all mad, he thought.  But that wasn't true.  He couldn't imagine anyone he knew, anyone decent, being sucked into this state, this abyss under the world.  It was he alone who stood on the brink.

Mark...what strikes me about this passage is just how universal this is over time and distance and space.  Life is a small town.  And I'm equally in awe of the man for being so open about his life.  He wrote this biography in 1984, when he was 79 years old.

robt.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.