Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:20:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 224
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Do you have a purpose in life?

Yes.
12 (50%)
No, but would like one.
7 (29.2%)
No, and don't need one.
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Does having a purpose in life matter?  (Read 9834 times)

Offline Cliff

Does having a purpose in life matter?
« on: June 03, 2006, 07:00:21 pm »
Is it necessary to have a purpose in life? 

If you don't have a purpose, according to S. Pavlina, here's how to get one...

Here’s what to do:

1.  Take out a blank sheet of paper or open up a word processor where you can type (I prefer the latter because it’s faster).

2.  Write at the top, “What is my true purpose in life?”

3.  Write an answer (any answer) that pops into your head. It doesn’t have to be a complete sentence. A short phrase is fine.

4.  Repeat step 3 until you write the answer that makes you cry. This is your purpose.

That’s it. It doesn’t matter if you’re a counselor or an engineer or a bodybuilder. To some people this exercise will make perfect sense. To others it will seem utterly stupid. Usually it takes 15-20 minutes to clear your head of all the clutter and the social conditioning about what you think your purpose in life is. The false answers will come from your mind and your memories. But when the true answer finally arrives, it will feel like it’s coming to you from a different source entirely.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Does having a purpose in life matter?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 07:44:33 pm »
great. My purpose in life is to kiss my ferrets.

Maybe I miss them so much, is why I got weepy at that point.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:51:14 am »
Well, I learned about my "special purpose" at a young age.  I sometimes have a hard time taking my hands off it.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 11:55:53 am »
Well, I learned about my "special purpose" at a young age.  I sometimes have a hard time taking my hands off it.

hmmm, surprised youre classified as a 'junior member'   ;D

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:54:36 pm by Iggy »

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 02:58:15 pm »
oh great...my purpose is to die!

Woo Hoo!

LOL Iggy

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:38:26 pm »
My purpose is.....My purpose is....um. 
Can you give me the definition of purpose?
Is that a latin or a greek root? 
I like the fuck thread better.  I can spell that one real good.

My purpose is to annoy the self-righteous ego maniacs.

Let's face it, none of us is getting out of life alive. 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 10:49:44 pm by Sae »
Meh.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 06:56:43 am »
oh you guys.   ;D

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:37:28 pm »
BUMP

My purpose in life is to fully understand, without an ounce of doubt, the truth behind the supernatural events that took place in my life (1) on Aug. 24-25, 2005, and (2) on Aug. 31, 2005

Replaying those days makes me cry - tears of joy and confusion

Offline Consumed

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 12:53:32 pm »
I found my purpose in life about a year ago, and my outlook and strides towards the goal has made me realise what it is to be alive. The gift of someone breathing new life into you comes once in a lifetime.
LYS

Offline dario

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 02:50:23 pm »
Yes ... it does matter.

My purpose in life is to love and be loved.
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 03:40:50 pm »
Well, let's see,........  "Does having a purpose in life matter?"

Interesting question Cliff.  I guess it does matter, or else the time here would certainly be a waste, wouldn't it.  I personally think that we all have a purpose.  Now, knowing what that is, is probably the most confusing thing about life that we ever deal with.  For the longest time, (till I was way into my early 30's) I had no clue as to what my purpose was.  Now it is crystal clear, and to that end, each day is exciting, and vital.  What is my purpose?  Well, that is for me and me alone to know and only if I am really close to some one will I divulge that information.  Suffice it to say, purpose is what gets us up in the morning and makes the day one of opportunity, instead of a day with loads of angst. 

Like Cliff said, find your purpose and stick to it.  Life will become something wonderful and exciting when this is done and you will want to be here for the duration.

In Love and Wonder.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:52:51 pm »
Cliff......Up until I met David I thought my purpose in life was to have a good time.  Like many gay guys other than perfecting your craft at work....You Party!  You Meet Boys!  You Have Great Sex!  And then a chance encounter brings a whole new meaning to the word PURPOSE.  Does it matter if you have a purpose in life.  I think so...
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 12:01:36 am »
It's sometimes good to be a dreamer, as long as you have the ability to turn those dreams into reality. Getting caught in the imaginary world may provide temporary happiness, getting back to reality is what is important. Stick to your dreams, share them and make the most out of them!

Author Unknown.

Terry (Who has been there and done that)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 12:14:43 am »
My purpose in life is to fully understand, without an ounce of doubt, the truth behind the supernatural events that took place in my life (1) on Aug. 24-25, 2005, and (2) on Aug. 31, 2005

what? did you talk about this before?  start another thread!  My interest is tres piqued!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 12:24:32 am »
Basquo I'll send you a PM about Aug. 31. It's less than a page. HIV is part of the tale. it would be nice if you PM me back with any hypotheses. my mind is still boggled roughly a year later

For Aug 24-25 I have to edit because it's 3 pages and i wanna edit it down to less than 1

Offline cobiz

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 07:43:27 pm »
I believe we all have a common purpose in this world and that is simply to live and nurture the life our creator has given us whether God or your father it does'nt matter. So whatever one's purpose is, certainly it is not a predetermination but a choice. Therefore if you've found your purpose to be a preacher then that is out of your own choice and feelings. Thus the point is this, there is actually nothing like purpose in life but rather choices that we make on how to live our lives.

Regards 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 11:52:18 am »
I think purpose is a poor choice of word, because it seems to indicate that if you don't have one, then you need to get one.  I don't agree.  I like the words goal or vision.  Such as: My vision of life is to live, love and make a difference.  Semantics, maybe, but it sounds much more meaningful.

Offline BB

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 12:21:49 pm »
???

So much beer, so little time.

;D

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.