Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:54:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Going through changes........  (Read 7347 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Going through changes........
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:50:52 pm »
I haven't posted anything substantial lately, other than "Happy Birthday" or "hope you feel better soon"....I suppose the truth is I just haven't felt very supportive lately, or that I was being supported.   I think that is something we all go through at times.

Anyway, I am so happy to see some old familiars posting again...Jonathan, Moffie, Brent, Elizabeth, Matty...it makes me very happy.

I'm going through a transition time right now.  I'm in the process of becoming a patient at the 1917 clinic at the Univ of Alabama in Birmingham (Dr. Saag's clinic).  I've had my first lab work done there, and met with a caseworker and a chaplain.  So far, I am very pleased.   What I am not too pleased with is leaving my doctor of 18 years, Dr. D in Atlanta.   But life brings changes, and I feel that I am playing the hand I've been dealt the best way I can.  I had been able to keep my health insurance as a 'retiree' of the State of GA all these years, with Ryan White money paying the premiums.   But when I moved to Alabama, that presented a whole new set of problems, having to lie about GA residency mainly.  Now I'm on a Medicare Part D plan, and enrolled in the Alabama ADAP program.   The way it works for me is that they provide my HIV meds and cover the part D copays on them, as well as paying the part D Premiums to Sierra Rx.  However, the first two months premiums have not been paid and I received a dis-enrollment notice, effective the 28th of Feb.   I am praying that this will all be resolved, as the lady at the ADAP office assures me the check was sent.

In filling out paperwork for UAB, I needed a pharmacy printout from last year.
My meds cost $16,970 in 2006, which is down from a few years ago.   My portion of that was approx. $2,000.  Not sure what my yearly drug bill is going to be with the Part D plan....so far it has been a bit of a hassle.   In giving up my State health coverage, I also lost my pharmacist of about 15 years, Melanie.  Now it's Walgreens for me.  I was spoiled to having a great pharmacist, who took care of everything pronto and shipped my meds right to my door.  I sure do miss that.

When they drew my blood at my initial visit at UAB, they reported me to the AL Dept of Public Health as testing HIV positive.   So I have had to deal with those clowns calling, and trying to explain to them that I have been positive for 20 years.   Yes, it's twenty years in March.   Hard to make these drastic changes in my health care at this point in the game, but I'm doing the best I can.

On a lighter note, I have a new man in my life, for about 8 months now.   We are enjoying each other very much, and neither of us ever thought we'd find love again.  Surprise surprise!  He is very good to me, and has helped me tremendously in navigating 'the system' in this State.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what's going on in my life these days.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: Going through changes........
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:25:44 pm »
Congrats on finding a new love!

It always happens when you're not expecting it, doesn't it?

God... bureaucratic wrangling has to be the worst thing conceived of in the history of humanity.

I really do hope it all works out for you...

And if you want things sped up a bit... I know a guy we can call.    :D

Why do you have to leave your doc?  That's crap! 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:49 pm »
((((((Alan))))))

I'm so sorry to hear of the challenges you're going through right now, but I'm glad you've got that new love in your life to help smooth out the bumps in life's road.

And twenty years... wow. I salute your strength and perseverance.

Please keep us posted on your transitional issues with the insurance related stuff. Don't ever forget that we care and we want to know how you're doing.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:23:55 pm »
Sug-

I haven't the time to respond adequately right now (damn job), but will later.

Good to hear about the fella, though. I makes me warm inside.

Love,
B
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:31:57 pm »
Alan~~

I can understand not feeling very supportive at times. It happens to us all. And when you don't feel like it there is always someone else around here who will pick up the slack. Also, I have never seen many in the system to be very supportive, they tend to act like it's just a job or as if the money is coming out of their pockets..Hmm, now that I think about it, it prolly is in some political way but still...

Congrats on the new bf, 8 months of happiness and more to come, that's great. You deserve it, you are one of the sweetest guys on here. I am tickled pink for you...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Nadine

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 02:34:14 pm »
Dearest Alan,

Sorry to hear about the all the changes that you're being forced to go through right now.  I hope that you will like your new doc just as much as your old one.  Change is sometimes scary, but not always bad.

I'm glad you have someone special in your life to help you with all of this.  That makes a world of difference.

(((Big Hugs))) to you, our Birthday Guy! 

Offline Lis

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 02:37:57 pm »
hang in there my friend.. I hate that you are being put through so much right now... You are always in my thoughts and prayers

lisbeth   :-*
poz 1986....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 02:52:59 pm »
Alan, I'm glad you've brought us up-to-date on what's been happening.

Fingers crossed that the med coverage switch works right. I'm not going to make any suggestions right now about any of it because it sounds like you have it well sorted out. But if you want and need to discuss it further we're here and you know the way to my PM.

I couldn't be happier to hear you and a good guy have found each other. You have a beautiful heart, bud, so it's good to know you're getting to share it with someone and that you're making each other happy.

Big cheers and big hugs,
Andy Velez

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 03:06:36 pm »
Alan,

Just seeing your name is enough support for me so please feel no compunction about not being supportive!  You're one of the best-loved and most respected people here due to your incredibly kind and thoughtful nature.  You're one of a very few who can honestly say you've never flamed anyone or written an unkind word.  I can't make such a claim.

I'm sorry you're experiencing all the stress and hassle with these changes but it sounds as if you'll be in pretty good shape once everything is firmly in place, or I sure as hell hope so!  Leaving your doctor and personal pharmacist (I say personal since the good folks at Walgreens are (usually) courteous but don't you bother to ask many questions...) have got to be difficult but I hope your new doc is a good fit and, well, Walgreens is Walgreens.  At least they usually have my meds.

My Medicare Part D coverage through Tenet changed dramatically for 2007 -- the $3000 maximum benefit on non-preferred drugs (as all HIV meds were) disappeared and my copay for Trizivir is $25.  I will allegedly be able to go through the entire year spending only $300 on HAART.  I fear finding a cancellation letter from Tenet in the mail box one of these days but I'm trying to be optimistic.

I hope your dis-enrollment (is that a new word for cancellation?) letter was sent inadvertently and your premiums have been paid.  When I got Ryan White assistance last year there was an initial snafu that almost made me run out of meds but luckily all was resolved in time. 

Glad to hear you and your bf are going strong.  I wish you both many happy years together! 

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 03:13:32 pm »
I second Ann with the (((((((Alan))))))) :-*

I've been thinking about you, wondering where and how you are. (Btw did you get my other email?)

Thanks for the update, honey. Sorry to hear life has been so challenging lately. I hope the new health plans smooth over quickly for you. Bureaucracy is indeed a bitch!

I know I've already told you but it's worth saying twice: I'm so happy for you that you have found love again. You so deserve it! Like Andy said, you have a beautiful heart. Your guy is lucky to get to share that! Your avatar is so fitting! :)

Keep on keeping on, my friend!

Love & Hugs
Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 03:43:17 pm »
What do Bears give best?
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
well ...among other things
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 03:46:31 pm »
Like Boo said, your name alone is reassurance that all is good.  So no need to apologize about any lack of support. 

I'm also trying to get ADAP to cover the Part D co-pay.  I'm with Kaiser and always had automatic withdrawal for my premiums.  ADAP told me they had started paying the premium but I notice I'm still getting zinged by Kaiser.  I could call Kaiser and talk until I'm blue in the face about the double payments but I know it wouldn't get me anywhere.  The most important thing right now is not losing that coverage.   So I'll just wait for the auditors to get in there and when they will see I've overpaid they'll send me back the difference.  Right?   Yeah, right.

all my best to you and the boyfriend.

robert

Offline Rainbow1

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 04:40:39 pm »
Alan, I  am wishing you the best

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 05:36:22 pm »
Alan,

I know it must be upsetting to give up your doctor after so long.  I had seperation anxiety when we switched insurance and I had to start seeing a new doctor.  I'll keep postive thoughts that the whole premium issues will be taken care of.  I had a problem once when I went on Cobra.  It did get straighten out and the stuff they tried to bill me for was retroactively covered.  So gave me a couple of gray hairs, but it worked out.

Great to hear that you've got a relationship that's working out.  Sometimes love will just jump out and surprise you!  :D
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 05:43:43 pm »
Hi Alan,, the part about the healthcare is no doubt stressful ( to say the least) but having that loving guy around has to help ease the pressure! Happy to hear the man part, good luck with evrything else!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 05:45:34 pm »
All the best Alan, in love and in the labyrinth of bureaucracy of which I am also well acquainted (unfortunately).

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 05:47:57 pm »
Hey Alan,

I think the only constant in life is change sometimes.

Sorry I haven't been more supportive lately. I've been having a tough time with some things, but that shouldn't stop me from being there for you.

I hope the ADAP snafu works out for you.

Also, YIPPEE on your new beau. I couldn't be happier for you!  ;D ;D

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 05:48:28 pm »
Hey Alan:

I hate that these changes don't seem to be going as smoothly as they could.

I think the issue of the Medicare D premium is probably just a bureaucratic delay or snafu but once you get into the system hopefully things will smooth out.  Since you've alerted the ADAP office and they've reassured you it has been taken care of this should be o.k.

I fully understand your feelings about leaving your doctor of 19 years.  There's a strong bond and familiarity that one builds over that many years and it's hard to let it go.  Although it sounds like this was something that you couldn't avoid with the change in insurance.  One thing you mentioned previously is that this new clinic would possibly give you some options you didn't have before and that's a good thing. Or am I making this too rosy?  LOL.

Melanie (?) the pharmacist sounds like a real dream.  Knowing that your meds were always going to be there when you needed them and that she was on top of everything would have made me spoiled too.

The one thing about these changes though is that I still think they are for the better.  I know how stressed and worried the other situation was making you and so while this transition is also stressful, the ultimate outcome sounds like it's going to put you in a better position all the way around.

Has it really been 8 months for you and boyfriend?  Yikes how time slips away.  It couldn't have happened to a better person.

Please take care of yourself and know this, you've always been a good friend to me (and so many others), so if it's support you need, don't ever be afraid to ask for it.  I'll be right here and so will a lot of others.

Love ya buddy

RAB

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 05:57:12 pm »

Alan,

I hope things work themselves out.  Goodluck my friend.. Love does a body good, so keep it close.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 06:02:49 pm »
Alan,

Love is good especially being able to share with someone special.

As for the rest I am hoping that somehow things will work out.

Alain.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 07:09:23 pm »
Hey Alan, thanks for giving us an update which was enough for my eyes to glaze over :) as they do when I am asked to fill out forms here and wait for replies and then reply to replies and wait for replies to my reply again.  Wouldn't it be nice for all of us if we could disclose our diagnosis once and from then on simply get things processed for us, whether we move from state to state or, sigh, grow older.  You know how glad I am that you continue to be one of the poster boys (your other half the other one) for poz.com personals.  ;D Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 08:03:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your difficulties but glad you have someone to help you through it. You deserve to be happy.  Cristy

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 08:16:30 pm »
Hi Alan in Alabama -- first of all THANKS collectively for always wishing us a Happy Birthday which entails much organization I am sure, what with a continual string of new members and varying degrees of board participation.

2nd, good to hear your meds are sorted out.  I need to get on top of my Medicare Part D as I think I was told something VERY wrong by the odd woman at my ASO (who lost my paperwork and is no longer my case worker thank goodness) and I'm paying a monthly premium, though last month it went DOWN and the insurer said it was because ADAP was paying them some money.  So they even REFUNDED me some amount retro for part of last year, though seemingly not for the entire period.  Rather confusing, and I don't understand why they don't pay all of it like they did pre-Medicare Part D.  I'm in a small support group and one of the other members said I was told the wrong info by my ASO.  I find things very unorganized here in Pennsylvania compared with NYC which was bad enough.   And I already pay a bit for one drug that's not on our state formulary.  I hate to complain though because everyone on private insurance pays a hell of a lot more.

Good luck with your new doctor!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 08:22:26 pm »
Hi Alan:
  It's always nice to hear about you. I know how you feel about losing that special person at the pharmacy. I had 2 at Walgreen's on different shifts but were transferred to other locations. I miss them because they were the friendliest of all. Now there are just some cold witches who seen to be afraid of being friendly and casual with me.
  A guy next to us is great, but we are fighters and can make a stand alone anyways! ;) All of us are warriors and have faced our situations with courage. We just go onward...
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 09:18:01 pm »
Thanks everybody, for the support and well wishes.   I think I am handling it all fairly well, and I should have specifically stated that my health is pretty good right now; I look good "on paper"  ;D    It would be a lot harder to deal with all this if I were drastically ill.

I'm sure there will be a few tears shed when I have my final appointment with my doctor in March.   But I had to face reality, things do change.   At some point he is going to be thinking about retirement, and in a way, it's better that it's MY decision to leave rather than to be forced to leave (if that makes any sense).

I'll get through this tough part, and hopefully will begin a great relationship with my new female doctor at UAB!

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 09:52:18 pm »
Alan,

So good to hear from you again!  You and I will always have our fond memories of "Hot-lanta" but I know that UAB is a world class health facility and you will be getting "gold standard" care from them.  The transition sounds like a real paperwork hassle, but hopefully it will be smoothed out soon.  I am so happy to hear your new "romance" is going so well... its really the best kind of medicine!

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2007, 01:47:52 am »
(((((((Alan)))))))

I just got the urge this morning to give you another hug.
Ach, sometimes a girl just has to follow her urges! ::)

Hope when you read this (time zones 'n all!) that today is A Good Day :)

Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2007, 01:52:26 am »
Alan, let me know when and if you come back to the ATL as I would love dearly to hang out with you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Basquo

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2007, 02:01:00 am »
Alan, sometimes it's mostly good but you feel like something is hovering over you...but I'm sending good vibes your way...and I NEVER wear a pointy hat so that's not me in the pic.

Love,
Creighton

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 02:34:08 am »
Alan,

thinking about you in this time of change.    i know it's tough to handle so many new things all at once.....i thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the support you've given to me and everyone else on this board.

i'm very happy for you and your fella.

Hugs and kisses,
John

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2007, 02:36:47 am »
Alan-

As the kindest and most supportive person I've ever met, it grieves me to hear the turmoil and anxiety in your post. You deserve the very best, and i hope with all that i have that you find it with your new doc, new med situation and, best of all, new beau.

With all my love-
Brent
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 02:38:38 am »
sorry to interrupt

my current insurance is through my partner (domestic partnership), however, should I also apply to get medicare? I heard that it takes like 2 years to actually get approved for it, so just to be extra safe (just in case he looses his job or we berak up blah blah blah) so that I don't have any gap in my coverage. I only work part time at my company, so I don't qualify for any benefit.

is it possibly to apply for medicare while you currently have a company provided insurance through your partner?

or shoudl i wait until i acutaly somehow loose my current insurance to apply for medicare?

thanks
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 03:16:10 pm »
Hi Alan,

Damn, good to see this post.  I often wonder how you, and others here like you, are holding up and coping with their HIV.  I see you are handling the all too many obstacles that are thrown at us on a fairly regular basis. 

Your post reminded me that I should probably do one at some point in the near future.  I guess sometimes we think that nobody really is interested in how we are handling the disease on a daily basis, but I have been proved wrong on more than one occasion, and the responses in this thread prove once again that those who care, always are interested in how all of us are doing.

Take care Alan, and please keep on fighting and living.  I can't tell you how happy I am that you are with someone who really cares and loves you.  That is one of the most enriching experiences we are allowed to have here on the planet.  Good for you!

Love Ya,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline AlanBama

Re: Going through changes (UPDATE)
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 08:38:12 pm »
Thanks Tim, and everyone !

Today, I made the phone calls/faxes/letters to actually request the transfer of my medical records from Dr. D's to UAB.   For some reason, I found myself shaking and tears began to fall....y'all know me and my damn emotions, sometimes I just can't seem to get control over them.

I saw a great commercial today, for kleenex of all things....it was one of those "real life experiences" where someone tells their story; this lady said she lost many friends and relatives in hurricane Katrina, and she had shed a lot of tears....but she said "that's o.k., because my tears do not compromise my strength."      I like that.

Time for me to call on that reserve of strength that I know is in there, I just have to tap into it.

Love & hugs, especially to all my "old friends" who've come back to the forums, including EM !   Great to have you all back, I've missed you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:40:21 pm by AlanBama »

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 09:09:39 pm »
Hey Alan,

It just goes to show you that you can never really know what's going on in other people's lives.  Thank you so much for sharing your recent struggle.  Somehow, I think we must be very similar...always ready to offer a shoulder to cry on but not quite comfortable asking for one.  I wish you the best of luck in getting through this maze of thorny, red tape.  I only wish that you would have reached out sooner for some support.  I could stand to take my own advice, obviously.  Nobody wants to ever be seen as a "joy-sucker" HOWEVER you have got to let friends do what friends are supposed to do: HELP! 

I'm so glad that you decided to unload a little of the burden.  It feels a little better, doesn't it?  Keep it coming, brother!  We are all here for you.

Brooks
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.