Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:32:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 218
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What about us, Mrs Bush? GRRRRRRRRRR  (Read 24406 times)

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Re: What about us, Mrs Bush? GRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2007, 09:36:01 pm »
In a funny way, I actually agree with Jack that farm subsidies should be abolished.  However, what I don't think most people realize is that a huge percentage of those farm subsidies go to corporate agri business farms and not to so-called family farms.  Nothing would make me happier than making corporate welfare disappear.  While we're at it, how about enforcing already existing food sanitation regulations.

Oh by the way... this really did go off topic. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2007, 09:36:46 pm »
What do farm subsidies have to do with me eating? All farm subsidies do is create inefficiencies in the system and raise the cost of food to every consumer. They also bring in huge money to the politicians in the form of contribution from all the large corps who also get these subsidies. If they cant make my food here,we will have to start getting it from China. I like Chinese.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2007, 09:37:53 pm »
LOL.  Now we are officially off-topic!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2007, 09:39:24 pm »
Your comments are no suprise to me Jack. You know nothing about farming, but you like to feed your face. So should I say, fuck the city dwellers? No, because they like to eat and they know it's not grown on asphalt and concrete.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2007, 09:40:35 pm »
Yes Cliff we are, but it's not unusual. ;)

Offline jack

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:39 pm »
Corporate welfare is worst kind of welfare,because it corrupts everyone at every level and raise the prices of products to all consumers as well as the aforementioned inefficiencies.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 09:43:22 pm »
Corporate welfare is worst kind of welfare,because it corrupts everyone at every level and raise the prices of products to all consumers as well as the aforementioned inefficiencies.
   You're sounding like a Democrat... better watch yourself, you might get dirty.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline jack

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 09:47:32 pm »
Rod, I am against all industry subsidies,not just farming.  We have millions of fuckers eating 24/7, eating all kinds of crap 24/7 but the farmer needs a subsidy? Someone explain this to me? It seems there is plenty of demand. I keep reading about all these obese bastards that are eating everything they can find. Hell some of them have little cart to haul them around from one eating event to the next.
If you have to raise the price,raise the price or we will have to get WalMart in the farming business.
We have farm subsidies and other subsidies for one reason and one reason only,some politician started them to keep his job or get money

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2007, 09:54:51 pm »
jack, like I said, you like to eat and more than likely your eating something now that was grown on someones farm or you will before you go to bed. I'm just glad there are people like us that grow crops and raise livestock so you don't go hungry at night and you have something in Wal Mart to buy. 

Offline mjmel

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2007, 10:00:08 pm »
see what I mean, here we have a supporter of farm subsidies.  Farm subsidies keep prices to consumers high and also help starve the Africans with hiv we are trying to keep alive.  We have so much fucking food we have to give it away to other countries, who dont plant their own crops cause we give it away. The world is insane.
If you cant stay in business on your own,tough shit. This is the US,you move,you find another business or occupation.  Gone off topic

Not insane. Complicated. The world is complicated and so is big business. Farm subsidies were inititialized to curb surpluses and keep prices from bottoming out. The more small farms that fail the more the larger mega sized farms control supply.

Africa? Do you know who I  think Africas biggest threat and destroyer is? Their own. The powerful, corrupt and greedy leaders. Those poor people are starving because of the evilness of GREED and POLITICAL CORRUPTION of their African LEADERS. Not every leader, mind you. It is a continent divided and at war with itself. The starving masses are sent food. Those in power steal it........to sell........at the cost of even innocent babies dying. Now THATS the face of INSANITY.
xxx,
Mike
P.S. Way off topic? Probably. Well--it's polictics but not of the intent of the jeffreyj 's post. I'm refraining from posting any more of this nature.

Offline jack

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2007, 10:13:30 pm »
I just fell off my no carb diet yesterday and am eating a bag of double stuff oreos. If there is anything in these fuckers that was made on a farm,well, they should ban farming. Man I feel like I am gonna puke.
The governments attempts to balance supply and demand never work.  Price controls on oil in early 70s helped cause our present gasoline and oil shortage.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 10:58:23 pm »
Ok, so now that we're way off topic...  I've always wondered about prolonging lives / curing disease in areas that are already experiencing food, water, and housing shortages.  I'm in no way saying that we should not assist poorer countries in whatever ways we can.  It's just not that simple.  The increased population would have to be fed, housed, and hopefully educated.  Is the infrastructure in place to handle these other issues?  We can't really just step in and help in one way without being prepared to assist in the new 'problems' that arise.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2007, 03:55:51 am »
I still think we should pay attention to people with HIV that live in the USA. I have nothing against helping other countries. I STILL think it's awesome, as long as the debt relief is not gobbled up by VULTURE funds. But that is another thread entirely.

The policy that the Bush administration has made is stupid as dirt (Abstinence....OMG how sixties!)

So, if you are a public institution in the US, unless you preach ABSTANCE, you will not receive monies from the feds.

This is not realistic, and not helpful. Not to be able to talk about condoms is just, uhmmmmm I can't even think of a word that describes it....Ludicrous is all I can think of right now.

I guess George is trying to kill more HIV-ers than Reagan, but as we all know, that is impossible.

Back to Laura.....Thanks for NOTHING.
Positive since 1985

Offline mjmel

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2007, 07:31:59 am »

The policy that the Bush administration has made is stupid as dirt (Abstinence....OMG how sixties!)

So, if you are a public institution in the US, unless you preach ABSTANCE, you will not receive monies from the feds.

This is not realistic, and not helpful. Not to be able to talk about condoms is just, uhmmmmm I can't even think of a word that describes it....Ludicrous is all I can think of right now.

Abstinence: A wink and a nod to Bush's far christian right. 
 >:(
Mike

Offline jack

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2007, 07:51:53 am »
To teach abstinence along with equal emphasis on safe sex is not a bad thing but to make abstinence a prerequisite for funding is just stupid or to suggest that abstinence is in some way better than using safe sex is also moronic. This would not be the first time the US government has used threats of no funding or the tax policy to try and influence individuals activities, but many of these are economic activities,not sexual. I just dont get these guys.
Unlike most here I support the invasion of Iraq, I dont support the execution of the war after the first several weeks. If we arent gonna fight a real war, kill the enemy and use everything at our disposal to win,we should get the fuck out.
I have a long list of things that I dont like about W,but I really have no problem with his wife. She has stayed out of the limelight for the most part and not tried to make public policy, she is not an elected official. No one voted for her,just as no one voted for Hillary.
I am off topic and cant find my way back.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2007, 11:08:15 am »
dunno David. Jeffrey posted in part about Ryan White and Grinch and Jack want Ryan White abolished. Seems on topic to me.

Woah...hold it right there Matty.  I said our monies should be spent domestically as in Ryan White not over seas as in NOT Ryan White. Do not attempt to change my words. I was very clear about that.

I firmly believe we should take care of our own.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2007, 01:23:11 pm »
Yes Grinch,
I totally agree. We should take care of our own. But we are not.

Ryan White budgets have been cut or rearranged and many people are suffering because of that.

That's why I want to puke when I hear Mrs. Bush talking on CNN about AIDS in Africa.

I believe she has NO CLUE about her own people.

Like husband, like wife.
Positive since 1985

Offline Grinch

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2007, 02:24:08 pm »
The $22 billion is what the federal government spends on HIV/AIDS programs, (ADAP/Ryan White, research, etc..).  The $2 trillion is what the US spends on health care as a whole, (not just on HIV/AIDS related treatment).

So I still ask why is 10% not enough.  The figure you're quoting is $2 billion sent By the government
The $2 Billion does not include what Americans send. ie: that whole red campaign.

The OP and others are debating what the government is doing not what our citizens are doing.

By your own statement:
The entire US federal budget is only $3 trillion,
How could our healthcare budget be 2/3 of that?

Using your own numbers:  The US Federal governmet's budget for HIV/AIDS is $22 Billion.  We send nearly 10% of that out of the country during a time in which we do not care for our own people. This in my opinion is wrong.

The correct solution in my opinion is cut spending elsewhere and take care of our people.  If that means we don't help the "neighbors" with their problems then so be it.  A good portion of monies sent to help others never gets to the people that need it.  Why not do something on your own instead of waiting for government?  Take the money you'd like to give the government to help others and help them yourself.  I know lots of doc's that have opened free clinics in poor countries like Haiti.  I've donated my time and money to these.  Thats much more charitable than handing the government another $100.00.
 Can I sign you up for the next trip to Haiti?  You'll need to pay your own airfare but we'll give you accommodation's in the clinic.  The cots are quite comfy.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2007, 03:57:36 am »
So I still ask why is 10% not enough. 
Because HIV is still an early death sentence for most people living with HIV in developing nations and we can afford to give more.  The fact that we choose to spend our money on other pet projects, doesn't negate the fact that we CAN afford to give more.

By your own statement:
Quote The entire US federal budget is only $3 trillion,
How could our healthcare budget be 2/3 of that?.
$2 trillion is what the US pays for health-care in total.  Not all health-care expenditures is paid for by the government.

The correct solution in my opinion is cut spending elsewhere and take care of our people.  If that means we don't help the "neighbors" with their problems then so be it.
And I disagree with this opinion.  I believe we have a responsibility to help those less fortunate, including those living outside of our borders.  Demanding full funding for US HIV/AIDS program is one thing, but doing so at the expense of other people living with HIV regardless of where they live is wrong (in my opinion).  But all we can do is agree to disagree.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2007, 06:21:03 pm »
Hey Jeffrey,

In 574 days, 5 hours and 38 minutes... Mr. & Mrs. Bush will be moving out of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  Our national nightmare will be over.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »
Micheal,
That's the best news I've had all year! LoL. So I guess you don't think he won't get impeached?

He better not cut Ryan White again!
Positive since 1985

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 05:49:57 pm »
Hi Jeffrey,

I was at the pharmacy yesterday talking with one of the people who supported my RWCA website.  They gave me the "Bush Countdown Clock".  Anytime I want to know how many days, hours, minutes, and seconds George has left in office, it is right here and very handy.

A little further down a county road is the town of Sebastopol.  In this community there is an "impeach Bush" sign on almost every street.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »
Hi Micheal,
The town of Sebastopool, how are the home prices there LoL. That sounds like "My kind of town"
How are things with you? Am I going to get the honor of meeting you in SF?
Stay strong, keep fighting.
Love
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 08:37:18 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I just took a quick look at MLS and found the lowest price home ($355,000) and the highest price home ($4.6 million) in Sebastopol.  Lets see if I am good enough to attach the photos  ;D.  Sonoma County being so close to the Bay Area, tends to draw a pricey home market.  People who work in SF will and have commuted up to 8 hrs each day for lower priced homes.

I will be in SF for AMG 07 but not staying in the hotel.  Being only an hour away, I will be staying here on the Russian River.  On Pub Crawl nights in San Rafael or Pier 39 on my boat. 

I will be in Arizona in October for a family funeral in Eloy.  We are putting my mom's and favorite aunt's ashes in the grave with their sisters.  They haveboth passed a long time ago so it is not expected to be a sad event, just something we haven't done in 20 years.  Have the best day
Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 08:54:00 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline davemartinatx

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2007, 06:06:38 pm »
2008 is coming before we know it. Talk to your friends, family, co workers, everyone you can. Do the home work in knowing who is just "another Bush", and who really lives in todays reality. Then, vote! God forbid we get another thick head in there, like Mitt Romney, but it could happen.  :o

None of the candidates on either side of the great divide (what else should one call it these days) has shown that they understand the problem of HIV/AIDS in America. None of them.

HIV is everywhere (except in Antarctica). But we need to lead the world in HIV/AIDS prevention/education and care. By ignoring the problem here, we can't do that.

Besides, I know that the supposed "aid" to Africa is a sham. I had a good friend whom I had met while she attended Texas A&M University. She had AIDS, and I became her mentor. She was from South Africa. After she returned home, I cried with every email I received from her (very few and very far between). She told me that it was very difficult for her to find the meds over there, and when she could, it was unaffordable. Everything was on the black market. And of course, only organizations who will put abstinence first get any funding at all.

That's why Bush's recent claim of major increases to funding for those programs really worries me. Where is that money really going?

Dave

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2007, 06:56:52 pm »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forums... Over the past couple of years, I have been involved with two organizations which raise funds for people living with HIV/AIDS in Africa.  Global Bridges raises money to help keep young girls in school and Project Africa supports a hospital which treats babies and infants who are hospitalized due to HIV.

Both Global Bridges and Project Africa say that only half of the money sent in aid to Africa is actually received by the intended recipients.  As an individual, I do not know what to do that could be any significant help but we can not stop trying.  Governmental organizations need to be held acccountable and responsible for their actions and the costs.

Senator Clinton did vote against the Ryan White Modernization Act as originally written because she felt the loss of funding which supplies care and services to 100,000 people from New York is not acceptable.  I will be casting my vote for Senator Clinton.  Have the best day
Michael
(who could add, George Bush has 571 days, I hour and 1 minute left in office)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2007, 07:56:31 pm »
I will be in SF for AMG 07 but not staying in the hotel.  Being only an hour away, I will be staying here on the Russian River.  On Pub Crawl nights in San Rafael or Pier 39 on my boat. 
Michael

Hey Michael,

I was just up your neck of the woods this past weekend.   I went up to Russian River to pick up some wine instead of doing pride in the city.  Gorgeous day too....you live in a beautiful area!

Rich
(who would move to Sonoma County if he could work virtual)

[attachment deleted by admin]
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2007, 07:20:02 pm »
Hey Rich,

If I'd known you were coming, I would have baked a cake..... Too hot to bake, I could have ordered out  ;D.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »
On today's CNN "Situation Room" Mrs Bush just said how important condom use is in Africa.
Yet her husband says "abstinence " is the way to go or us Americans.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What is this about?
Positive since 1985

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2007, 09:02:48 pm »
She thinks condoms are things you blow to make balloons and play with. Those children in America do not have Entertainment Tonight to watch Paris Hilton, so they have to have other things to play with.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2007, 08:50:59 am »
While I do agree with you that the current administration has done nothing to help healthcare, it affects everyone who is uderinsured or uninsured. No matter if you have HIV, cancer, or alny chronic illness, if you have little to no insurance or money there is very little help from the government.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.