Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:06:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 462
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Desifection of Greens and Fruit  (Read 12489 times)

Offline TugaMan

Desifection of Greens and Fruit
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:16:41 pm »
Hi all!

Today I was shopping some fruit and greens and was also about to buy something called "Amukina". It probably has some other name in other countries but, to put it short, it's a disinfectant used do add to the water where we wash greens and vegetables we eat in salads and so.

My doubt is: is it really needed? Is, sometimes, too much "cleanness" bad for the immune system? Can my immune system become lazy from too much disinfection and someday in the future not know how to fight back? I'm asking this knowing that my immune system is already weakened by "nature".  ;).

My VL is undetectable and my CD 878 (24%)

Offline water duck

Re: Desifection of Greens and Fruit
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:24:53 pm »
Your numbers r so good. On top of that if u still have doubts ???
U can try peeling all fruits whenever possible.
When u wash green, u can add a little vinegar ( go into google & check out the properties)
Hope this bring alittle peace.

Siang

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:46:52 pm »
With a weakened immune system, food sanitation cant be overlooked, even when dealing with vegetables. Outbreaks of E-Coli and other food borne illnesses get traced back to fruits and vegetables all the time.
I recently read an article about various vegetable wash products that concluded that they did a good job of washing out your wallet and little else. I use a weak bleach solution (1 oz per Gallon of Water) to soak ALL of my vegetables  for a few minutes regardless of how clean they look.  I guarentee its cheaper and more effective than the products out there.

Ive heard the idea of allowing your immune system to get "Lazy' but I dont know if its valid, or if disinfecting vegetables would have any effect....

Also, the vegetable washes all seem to contain alot of Alcohol ( dont get any in a cut !!) and seem to speed up wilting quite a bit.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:12:18 pm »
Your numbers r so good. On top of that if u still have doubts ???
U can try peeling all fruits whenever possible.
When u wash green, u can add a little vinegar ( go into google & check out the properties)
Hope this bring alittle peace.

Siang

just greens? i use Heinz white vinegar (diluted w/water) to clean all fruits and vegetables especially raspberries

Offline water duck

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:44:14 pm »
the chef in me forbid me to wash mushrooms, strawberries, raspberries, they absorb so much water , it becomes like sponge.
i usually use a kitchen brush.

Siang

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 12:21:13 pm »
the chef in me forbid me to wash mushrooms, strawberries, raspberries, they absorb so much water , it becomes like sponge.
i usually use a kitchen brush.

Ouch!  ::)
A kitchen brush to wash raspberries?
<note to self: never go over to Water Duck's house for dinner to eat fruit since it would be like mush>  ;D

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:18:22 am »
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
LOL Steven!
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:21:41 am »
I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer washes and prepares his food as he washes himself in the shower.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline CC

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 11:11:47 pm »
I agree with LWood...I use a mild bleach/water solutions for leafy type vegestable, the rest I simply wash as I would dishes....with dishwashing soap and rinse thoroughly.    They always recommend washing cuts with plain old soap and  water as one of best means of disinfection, no different with fruits and veggies....especially smooth skin ones like plums, nectarines, tomatoes, peppers, etc....  Quick and easy...

The key is...do something to disinfect, especially if your CD4 is below 300...

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 03:00:30 am »
I have to side with Siang here,

the chef and veggie in me buys organic food mostly and washes the veg in clear water. Lots of greens, like lettuce, have water soluble vitamines that will go if you leave it to soak for too long. I am more concerned by the pesticides than the stray bug. Also, if you steam your veg you are already killing off most of what could be hidding there.

This thread reminds me of my time on a tropical island with no running water where we washed everything in a solution of clorox and therefore felt safe (despite the uuurrrgggghhhh taste :P) until I found out that most of our tinned stuff (a big no-no for me) was way past the sale by date  ;D  - hey, no one died!!

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.