Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 370
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline m.christian

what to do?
« on: September 06, 2010, 08:27:28 am »
I had sex about two months ago with a guy that had initially told me he was 22 and std free, during our sexual encounter the condom broke I didn’t notice until I withdrew I asked him if I had anything to worry about he said no. a week later we had protected sex again no problems. a week after that we had sex I lubed up under the condom so as to not have it break again but this time the condom slid off (I’m not a thick guy) again I asked him if he was clean he assured me yes he was and that was that 2-3 weeks ago I saw a profile online w his picture on it and it said HIV positive and that he was 30 well as it turns out he said sorry I lied I’m positive have been for 15 years and undetectable or so he says. I had the entire test done last month (negative) and have 1-2 more months of anguish and in reality a year of anxiously waiting for results. I’ve been trying to decide whether I should pursue legal action but there’s something about malicious intent well I have the txt message where he admits he lied, I don’t go on bareback fests so I’m no sex worker or anything like that; and by the way I don’t think it matters no one deserves this anguish no matter what walk of life junkie, prostitute, or housewife if someone lies about their HIV status whether they infects you or not they should be put on a list online like sex offenders they’re a threat to society in my eyes. Also I followed his emails and learned he’s a dancer for a high school and now I’ve been worrying about some kid at his school or something those kids aren’t able to make real decisions like whether to sleep w the instructor or not or whether to use a condom they’re untouchable at that age not to mention ill informed I mean the only herpes education they get is from the Valtrex commercial they see on TV and the ads in the magazines and trust me running gaily through the sand on a beach is not the reality of herpes. I’m basing these thoughts on his history as far as his moral fiber well I would say it’s been shredded to tattered rags and that’s his doing not to mention I followed him once and he was taking (fucking) guys in front of the video store just walk up and insert no rubbers, so this has just turned into a big mess as far as what I should do I’ve thought about posting flyers at the video store and calling up the school district I would feel horrible if this turned into a big media circus cause this guys been infecting the whole school (again I’m just basing my theory’s on his proven dishonesty and disregard for peoples well being). Not to mention I’m a healthcare worker and I’m technically obligated by my ethics to report him he can not only potentially harm others but himself by acquiring an opportunistic infection, and confidentiality was not invoked when he told me he was positive.

Any advice people?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:06:11 am »
Let's stick to the most immediate concern which is your HIV status. The condoms protected you until they broke/slipped off. As the insertive partner you were at lower risk than is a receptive partner. HIV is a fragile virus and not easy to transmit. If his viral load is low then the risk is even lower for transmission.

But you do need to get tested at 13 weeks to confirm that you are HIV negative. If you are negative at that point that is a conclusive result and there is no need for further HIV testing. I don't know where you get the mistaken idea of testing out to a year. All HIV tests currently in use will give you a conclusive result at 13 weeks after a risky incident.

You used the term "clean" to refer to his status. You need to know that is unacceptable when referring to someone's HIV status. Someone is either negative or positive, not either clean or dirty. We're talking about a virus and using a term like "clean" is insulting to people here and everywhere who are simply infected with a virus. They aren't dirty. They have a virus. Please remember that for the future.

As to what you ought to do in terms of this fellow, I suggest you think very carefully about pursuing the matter. I recommend you discuss it with both a lawyer and a therapist so that you sort out thoughtfully what actions, if any, you should take. As a "healthcare worker" yourself perhaps there is someone you can speak to in confidence to get a professional opinion. I really don't want to get into this in great detail but I will also say that your description of having "followed him" and seeing him "fucking guys in front of a video store" and without using condoms stetch credulity. So you may want to be quite careful before you kick a hornet's nest about this issue.

For now the most immediately  important thing is to establish your own HIV status. Given what you have reported the odds are in your favor that you are going to test negative. In the future make sure you are using condoms that are both fresh and fit you properly.
Andy Velez

Offline m.christian

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:06:14 am »
Hey Andy yeah sorry about the term it’s just a stupid thing guys ask around here no disrespect. My brain has turned into mush with so much information and then I talk to people who are informed and they give me different info which just freaks me out even more. Yeah I had a condom on both times they broke/slid and I was exposed (for maybe 15 min total and that’s being generous I don’t know if that matters) so I’ve been freaking out. I followed him that one time to talk to him I didn’t know what to say and when he parked I walked up to the side of the building I saw them was a little freaked out but you see that kind of thing around the video stores in my area. The other is just a moral issue I guess and I’m not one for passing judgment and would hate to make a decision based on anger or whatever I feel. I’m stumped I guess, I know this isn’t Dear: Abby its am I infected just thought you guys might have some insight on my particular issues. Again I’m sorry for my impertinence I haven’t been myself lately.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:49:04 am »
Apology accepted.

As I said previously the odds are very much in your favor that you will test negative. You can do an initial test at 6 weeks. If that is negative then the likelihood is that you will continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

Nothing more to add about the other aspects of your situation beyond what I have already said.

Good luck on your test(s) and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.