Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:58:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 569
Total: 570

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Existing During the Wait for Services from ASA  (Read 2132 times)

Offline BigDaneDogs

• Obviously does NOT like my FB pic.
Existing During the Wait for Services from ASA
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:09:12 pm »
I've talked to my local ASA about services which are going to be fairly extensive.  I've been told that it will take up to 2 months to get me services.  How do you manage in the interim?  Right now financially I'm living off my mother's estate but my portion is limited.  I'm in serious need of someone to help me care for my house, do my laundry, help me shop and just help me get general things done throughout the day.  Day-by-day it just gets worse and my depression continues to get worse also.  It's HUMILIATING!!! Unfortunately my only two friends here are dealing with severe issues in their own lives and I wouldn't think of asking them for help.  How to I manage to get by until I can get the desparately needed help?  ???
BigDaneDog because I have two big Danes.
Member since 1993

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
Re: Existing During the Wait for Services from ASA
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »
I've talked to my local ASA about services which are going to be fairly extensive.  I've been told that it will take up to 2 months to get me services.  How do you manage in the interim?  Right now financially I'm living off my mother's estate but my portion is limited.  I'm in serious need of someone to help me care for my house, do my laundry, help me shop and just help me get general things done throughout the day.  Day-by-day it just gets worse and my depression continues to get worse also.  It's HUMILIATING!!! Unfortunately my only two friends here are dealing with severe issues in their own lives and I wouldn't think of asking them for help.  How to I manage to get by until I can get the desparately needed help?  ???

Dane, when you spoke to the ASO, did they mention that you might possibly qualify for Medicaid - if you have a limited income?  If I'm not mistaken, I think in most states Medicaid covers home health care or something called personal care/assisted living? This particular benefit of Medicaid is exactly what you need: they pay for a home health aide to come in and assist you with your daily routine and other assorted business when it becomes too much for you to handle.

You might want to google Medicaid and the state you live in to see if you can find out more information about what is provided in your particular state... and also investigate what it would take to apply while waiting.  Unless, the ASO is really saying that it would take 2 months for you to qualify for Medicaid, which would be quite unfortunate   :(
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:50:10 am »
I was going to mention Medicaid.  Obviously, inheritances can cause issues, but there is a way around that.  I remember talking to an attorney friend who said you can put the inheritance in a certain kind of account, and that income would be exempt and not counted.  I wish I could remember all the details.  I would have to ask about it again.

I apologize for not remembering your story.  Are you a LTS?   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:10:22 am »
BDD, does your ASO have any volunteers who might be able to help out in the interim? Or are they strictly on a pay-for-services basis? Even if that is the case, they might know of someone who would be willing to volunteer a few hours a week to help you out with some of the basics like laundry and grocery shopping.

It wouldn't hurt to ask - the worst they could say is "no, we do not have volunteers and we don't know of anyone who would volunteer their help". You never know, they just might have a client who is poz but in good health who would be happy to help out a fellow poz.

Is there anyone here in the forums from Texas who might be able to help out? Calling all Texans! Particularly ones in the Austin area. I'm sure even a few hours in the evening once or twice a week to go shopping or do laundry would help BDD out immensely.

Good luck darlin' - my heart goes out to you.

Ann
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:13:38 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:03:03 pm »

Is there anyone here in the forums from Texas who might be able to help out? Calling all Texans! Particularly ones in the Austin area. I'm sure even a few hours in the evening once or twice a week to go shopping or do laundry would help BDD out immensely.

Good luck darlin' - my heart goes out to you.

Ann

I'm in San Antonio but am in Austin a couple times a month, looking at being up there in about another week (sorry wished it could be sooner), I'd be glad to swing by and do some laundry, take you shopping, chill,  or whatever you need.

Send me a PM BigDog, if you want me to help out.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.