Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:30:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 635
Total: 635

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: condom break during sex  (Read 4276 times)

Offline jockstrappoz

• poz and neg - side by side - helping each other
condom break during sex
« on: April 27, 2008, 12:15:26 am »
Thank you for taking the time to help with my situation.  I have read your opening topics and understand clearly - it was a good refresher being positive and been through all of this before.  I am VL undetectable with tcells of 700+ 8 years positive.

I have recently started a new relationship with a 30 something negative partner.  I have inquired regarding his understanding of HIV and what it means to him.  He assures me he understands and knows all the consequences.  Well, during an evening of anal intercourse we had a condom break.  I knew when it happened as it is very easy to tell of the sensation difference.  I stopped, pulled out and changed to a new condom and we went on.  Now I am a heavy precummer and I did not ejaculate in his anus.  I read where it is all about the mucus and membranes in the anal cavity where this all takes place.  I have read and know the 13 week timeframe.  I have read and know about testing.  So just to confirm and make sure that both of us understand what we are in for in this relationship as a poz and neg couple this is what I have relayed to him.  I do not profess to know all as things are ever changing and I am open to correction of mis-information.

- Get tested and know your status as current as he has never tested.
- This first test will not tell him anything about this condom break.
- Sero-conversion, if it should take place in the event of infection, will occur with the first 3 weeks then the hiv antibodies into the system within 13 weeks.
- He will need to test again in 13 weeks.
- Testing choices are OraQuick, OraSure, Blood Draw (is any recommended more then the other?).
- OraQuick was not around when I tested - it seems to be the one with the fastest result time.
- Stay busy and keep you mind off the testing process, the waiting game, or the what if scenario - it is just not worth it as it is wasted time till you know.
- Knowledge and safety is the best thing.

With what I have conveyed regarding the condom break - what do you feel is the chance of infection from these types of situations?

I normally do not have condom breaks and have only encountered one other.

Any words of wisdom with regards to a neg and poz relationship - please share them. 

And after reading several of the other topics particularly HIV infection from precum during bj/hj has never been reported to the CDC. 

Thank you again for your help.  Look forward to your reply.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: condom break during sex
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:34:08 am »
Hi JSP, welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread from the Am I Infected forum because as you are the positive partner, this is the more appropriate place for you to post, given you specifically ask for input from positive people regarding poz/neg relationships.

It looks to me like you have a good understanding of the situation. I totally agree that he needs to test now because as he has never tested before, for all either of you know, he may already be positive. If he tests negative, he needs to be tested again at the three month point.

If it is less than 72 hours since this incident, you may want to go to your local ER to discuss whether or not PEP should be used. I normally wouldn't suggest this in a case like yours, only you mention you are a heavy pre-cummer. However, saying that, your undetectable viral load is very much in his favour of not being infected - if he really is hiv negative, that is.

As for your testing choices, any of them are good as they are all FDA approved. If you want speedy results, request a rapid test. They can be oral or finger-prick tests.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being 22 days. Normally I don't recommend people being tested before the six week point, but in your case I think it would be prudent to get a baseline test asap, just in case he is incorrect about being hiv negative. If the baseline is negative and his six week test is negative, he's unlikely to have been infected through this accident - although he must confirm his status at the three month point.

Please make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line. A correctly used condom rarely breaks. I understand that this has only happened to you once before, but it is possible you're sometimes not getting all the air out of the tip of the condom, or you're not checking the use-by date or some other small oversight.

Good luck and keep us posted on this situation. If he really is hiv negative, his chances are good of remaining so, despite this accident.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:46:01 am »
If it makes you feel better some Swiss scientists say you have nothing to worry about.

http://www.positivenation.co.uk/news_treatment/137/gus.php

Personally I think you have a handle on the situation.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:01:17 pm »
Certainly I think that the scenario you describe is very unlikely to lead to transmission, as you did not ejaculate, or even continue intercourse after the breakage for any length of time.

Interesting comment about 'difference in sensation' - it is pretty easy to notice you are suddenly feeling something, eh? :)
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline jockstrappoz

• poz and neg - side by side - helping each other
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 09:25:06 pm »
Thank you everyone for your responses and to all that read this post I hope you find information that is useful to your situations as well.

The quicksure test came back negative and the counselor talked about all the same things that were presented here.  Thank you again for helping calm both of us with information that is so much more valuable then worry and fear!! 

Both of us have found a great new resource to help take our relationship forward.  A very useful tool that I know we will refer back to over and over - with questions, to search for answers, and hopefully check in on friends, new research, and one day the dream of a cure!!

Thank you again and the best to all!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:55:13 am »
Hi JSP, good to hear from you again.

And it's good to hear you got that negative baseline result. I'm glad we could be of some help and I hope to hear more from you. Don't forget to let us know how his subsequent tests come out. As I said before, his chances of remaining negative, despite this accident, are very good.

I love your avatar, BTW. Very nice!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.