Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:42:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 226
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gayborhood -Funny Daily Show video link  (Read 8773 times)

Offline AldousOrwell

Gayborhood -Funny Daily Show video link
« on: July 22, 2006, 11:17:05 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6efOxaF88

This thread has changed to one about pets, in case people are confused. Some people got a bit confused about some comments so I decided to move on more neutral subjects.

The link is worth watching.

Aldous
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 07:24:25 pm by AldousOrwell »

Offline Cliff

Re: Gayborhood -Funny Daily Show video link
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:35:57 am »
This is more "Off Topic" than it is "Living With HIV."

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:39:47 am »
sorry forgot, I'm a newbie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 11:41:46 am »

Moved
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 12:09:57 pm »
Thanks Ann. I'll try to remember in future.

I hope the knobhead who moved his Republican voting family to the Castro district never gets HIV, he won't be able to do anything about his 'neighbours' then.

Aldous

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 12:20:55 pm »
Aldous,

The video you linked to was a satire. Fair enough. However, what on earth you mean by your last comment is beyond me and I suspect you are flame-baiting. If you aren't, then you'll prove that to us all by editing it out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 12:44:05 pm »
Ann

How is it flame baiting? I was just commenting on the reality of the situation. The fact that I found the clip funny shows that I think the guy asking the gays to undo 25 years of hard work to suit him and his family shows his intolerance.

My actual experiences with services in London and even the intolerance of certain factions on this forum indicate that those hardline gay members are not much better than this unreasonable new neighbour.

Had a gay person made my comment people would be nodding in agreement. Saying yeah that will teach him. I try desparately to stay neutral. I have enough on my plate co-ordinating appropriate support for hetero poz people in a city of 7 million, without having to pretend to be gay for fear of offending people.

I ask people to think again before projecting all their hatred of the hetero world onto me.

The virus is smart it evolves, services need to evolve. We must try to prove that we are all smarter than the virus by respecting all poz peoples views.

I understand your position and need to protect the feelings of gay people but not at the cost of alienating the fastest growing group here and worldwide.

Whatever happened to peace and love and understanding? As the song goes

Aldous   

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 12:50:27 pm »
The bait was placed, and the trap was set...

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 01:09:07 pm »
Aldous,

You have already made your position clear here.  You are starting to give even us heteros a bad taste in our mouth.

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 01:10:56 pm »
Just thought I would try to share this joke.

I wasted my time as many don't even have a sense of humour, other than a prissy bitchy one.

How about a new forum for straights as well as newly diagnosed. I'm sure there will be a reasonable overlap.

I find this predisposed assumption that I'm taking a swipe at gays at every opportunity sad.

Christ please lighten up. " The lady doth protest too much" as someone once said.

The only traps are of your own doing.

Aldous

PS I have said my piece and resent being 'dachshunded' at every turn. You want to get out more.  

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:16:59 pm »
Maybe there ought to be an "Aldous" forum.  That way everbody in it will be pleased

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:25:04 pm »
Just thought I would try to share this joke.

I wasted my time as many don't even have a sense of humour, other than a prissy bitchy one.

How about a new forum for straights as well as newly diagnosed. I'm sure there will be a reasonable overlap.

I find this predisposed assumption that I'm taking a swipe at gays at every opportunity sad.

Christ please lighten up. " The lady doth protest too much" as someone once said.

The only traps are of your own doing.

Aldous

PS I have said my piece and resent being 'dachshunded' at every turn. You want to get out more.  

Oh yes, this tenacious wiener has chosen to dog you every step of the way...well look at me, I'm funny and capable of a double entendre myself. I see right through you...I know what you are doing.

Did you know a Dachshund will spend all day burrowing underground to pull a rat from its lair? Consider youself Dachshunded!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:33:45 pm by Dachshund »

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 01:28:12 pm »
For God's sake! Are you even capable of adding anything at all even remotely productive to this site?
I am hetero and I find everything you post to be totally useless, except your really good at getting everyone riled up!

Kelly

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Teresa

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 02:33:09 pm »
Aldous,
I am a straight 48 yr old white woman. I find everything that you have posted here a complete waste of my time in reading.

So on that note...I am putting you on my ignore list...blocked list whatever it is called.

Maybe you should start your own "straight" forum.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 04:18:29 pm »
All right already

Not one comment about the Daily Show clip.

Some people are so blinkered.

To think all this started by accident after someone asked about Needle Stick dangers.

Then a complete misunderstanding about my being appalled by the neg world's indifference to helping all poz people and only helping those THEY think are more worthy. I never put myself in that catagory my detractors did. They are all too arrogant to admit they got me wrong.

Even Ann chimed in from her neutral standpoint and explained more clearly my 'stream of consciousness thoughts' . Still not good enough. You still banged on at about me talking down to you.

Like someone wrote it is just like lepers moaning about who is worse off one with 2 or 3 fingers. I wish to hold up my 2 fingers metaphorically and literally.

My only real hope of a partner is living in a country you want bombed back to the stoneage. Thanks to the Blair governments keenness to lock us up rather than giving us the tools to help us  to help ourselves.

Perhaps you can carry on berating me on the World War 3 thread. Where their can be no Gay majority versus straight minority scrap. But I'm sure you will find a way to twist that into one too.

What do you want me to type? ' I'm finally going to jump off my 5th floor balcony goodbye cruel gaypoz world...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah thump!

If only this energy could be channelled into forcing government policy change like a Manhattan Project to find a cure.

If ever a case for a Hetero Forum was needed this is it.

Take Care and stay healthy. Living is the only way can beat the real fascists.

Aldous the rat or was it ASS? No hang on the _______ (insert your own witty expletive) I never stooped that low myself.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 04:21:48 pm by AldousOrwell »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 04:40:33 pm »
Gee, A.H. can the dramatics, before people begin to think you are gay.

Last time I looked all you needed was a computer to start a website, a blog, a forum, or just about whatever. Hell, even some of the mo's around here have their own personal websites and video blogs. Be the first on your block Aldous to start one...call it whatever you want, cater to whoever you want...no one cares.

Oh hey, and about that war thing...we don't have much to complain about because the military keeps kicking us out of the service...that's not fair...is it?

Peace.

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 04:59:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice we are trying to sort a forum out.

I'm sorry if I pissed you guys off.

I did actually write a lot of stuff with a smile on my face.

I think there are plenty gays in the military just straight acting ones.

Was the gay scene in SF not due to the ex Navy guys settling there after WW2. They sure needed all people in all shapes and sizes then. Hell if it was not for gay Alan Turing breaking the Enigma code to defeat the U-Boats I could be using English as a second language now.

" What am I going to do in a submarine?!!!"

No hard feelings and your put downs were genuinely funny, thanks for sparring.

Aldous (Not my real name) actually it does sound a bit camp?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 06:11:34 pm »
Even Ann chimed in from her neutral standpoint and explained more clearly my 'stream of consciousness thoughts' . Still not good enough. You still banged on at about me talking down to you.

Aldous, Over your first few posts I was giving you a fool's pardon. However, you seem intent on goading people into argument so you can justify your poor, misunderstood attitude. It isn't washing with me and it isn't washing with most of the people here.

You are on very thin ice, just keep adding your flames.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 09:17:45 pm »
aldouse, much like me, you need to take a step back and figure out what you want from these forums. 

If you want legitimate debate, that's fine.  If you want to only heckle people that's not.

That's a lesson I'm relearning myself.

You are welcome here, but many of your comments seem designed to cause conflict, and not in a mature discussion type way.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 06:36:54 am »
Was the gay scene in SF not due to the ex Navy guys settling there after WW2

No Aldus....... Actually the Barbary Coast area of San Francisco, along the water front, was the first Gay Subculture historicaly documented.  I was formed in 1849, during the Gold rush.

Your assumptions about what and how Gay people think, who we are, who we are not, are both twisted, and not international.

Thank You.

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 08:51:45 am »
Hi y'all

Thanks for the history lesson, at least I have a passing knowledge of gay culture, I don't see how my last comment was twisted. I was expressing gratitude.

Who is goading who now?

Some people who write to me and keep the momentum up could start an argument in an empty house.

Like I wrote I can't win I am still being shot by both sides even when I wave the white or pink flag.

I'll log off and go and hang with my recovered junkie friends. Life is too short to argue.

I really wish you could spend a day in my shoes.

I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a debating topic that won't inflame others but why bother....

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 09:12:51 am »
Aldous if you think you are being shot down by both sides...maybe you should rethink your position? Or maybe work on your delivery? Maybe you should wrack your brain and come up with a topic that does not need to be debated? Something content neutral, that gives everyone a chance to breathe and get to know each other. I keep trying to pound it in to your thick skull...we are more alike, than we are different. We do spend a day in your shoes...every positive person does. We share one common denominator...HIV. As I told you in one of my first posts to you...I do not care how you became HIV positive...I care about you because you are HIV positive.

For the last time I am offering you the olive branch. We have plenty of time, and plenty of topics to debate. I say, "let's take the time to get to know each other."

So here goes. Do you have any pets?

Peace,
Hal

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 01:25:28 pm »
I don't really know what you are trying to achieve now Aldous.  The validity of a few of your original points has been forgotten now because of your constant flame baiting.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 06:23:19 pm »
Hi Hal

I'm happy to write about pets rather than pet hates.

I'm a cat (pussy?) man myself but once owned a dog. It started biting postmen and meter readers so was 'sent away'.

I was only 8  and the youngest so my family told me that Blackie was sent too live on a farm and spent her days as a rabbit and possum retriever for a farmer. I was so gullible I actually bought it. Call it denial. She was very good natured but something changed in her head and she 'turned'. I can relate to this change in outlook!

Seeing as you are a dog person I'll describe her. She was a black Retriever Cocker Spaniel cross. Not matter how far we threw a tennis ball she would always find us when we played hide n seek. Happy days growing up on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand. It looks a lot like Oregon and was a set location for much of Lord of the Rings. It was a real Hucklebery Finn childhood.

That reminds me, I watched a kids movie called 'The Cure', no not about the post punk goth band from England but about our gift. Two kids go in search of a doctor in New Orleans who may have found a cure for AIDS. It was a bit naff to be honest but it had a nice message and explained a lot of medical facts for kids (and adults) to understand. Have you seen it? Annabella Sciorra played the Mum.

I'd like a cat now but have the usual problem of someone to look after it if I went away.

It's funny that I now have a Persian girlfriend now as I once had two Persian cats. A Pedigree Blue Cream  named Tihi Titania and later a Red Self  named Jay Jay. Both bought by my sister. After we had two moggies Fritz , as per the Robert Crumb comic and then Emma rescued from the Cats Protection League. She  died fighting off a stray Pitbull when she was 17 years old.

So how many dogs do you have? And do you agree with Billy Crystal in ' When Harry Met Sally' . Dog people should date dog people and cat people should date cat people?

Aldous
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:25:54 pm by AldousOrwell »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.