Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:32:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 471
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Throat thrush?  (Read 8276 times)

splashsplash1

Throat thrush?
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:01:24 am »
Hi,
I had a pretty much non-risk exposure, I have no qualms about that.  But three weeks later, I have had this persistent lump in my throat feeling, as if food is there.  It has continued for one wek now.  I do not have any white spots in my tongue, however, my tongue is white (which I realize is not thrush) but I have been able to scrap some white gunk off the far back of it (probably normal, I know).  There is no pain in my throat and no difficulty eating or drinking, its really quite minor except that it constantly reminds me of my worry! I got a negative antibody test our at 21 days and am going to a ear nose and throat doctor about my throat but they are quite backed up this time of year and I can't get in until the towards the end of the week.

1) In the meantime, can any of you who have had throat thrush or read about those who have tell me if these symptoms indicate that? 
2) It seems like there are some people on here who have had thrush and tested negative, so certainly thrush is not a terribly suggestive of HIV, especially if the risk was extremely low?  I have read a few accounts where thrush shows up during ARS, and I am not on any sort of antibiotics or diabetic or anything else.  I did, I suppose, have a few days of very very poor nutrition prior to the symptoms, but who knows?

Thanks, I hope this is not a stupid question but I could not find anyone having a similar sensation on your forum!  God bless you all.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Throat thrush?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:14:44 am »
No, hon...it's not a stupid question.  But you can relax.  I'm going to quote the Goddess Ann on here and tell you that "symptoms mean absolutely nothing when it comes to HIV".  You can have thrush without it having anything at all to do with HIV.  Anyone can potentially get it.

Good news #2 is that if you ain't feeling any pain in your throat and have no difficulty eating or drinking, you ain't got it!  I don't think you'll ever hear anyone with throat thrush use the phrase, 'It's really quite minor'.  LOL

Grab yourself a throat lozenge and buckle down til you get to your doctor's appointment, but you can stop worrying about thrush.

Cheers!

~tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

splashsplash1

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:29:05 am »
Thanks so much Tim, you are so wonderful!  I was a bit worried because it seemed like many sites and "experts" said that thrush mainly resulted from either HIV/AIDS or antibiotics and such.  A few doctors online said to people with thrush that they "must have something serious going on" to have thrush!  So you can see how when I got a white tongue and lump in throat that wouldnt go away how scared I got!  Have you ever had thrush in mouth or throat?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:21:29 pm »
I've had thrush and it is very painful. Only a doctor can diagnosis thrush. Thrush is not hiv/aids specific. Anyone can get thrush. Babies usually have it more than anyone.

splashsplash1

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:57:36 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your fast responses!  I will try to put this worry behind me, and was able to get a doctor's appointment tommorow.  I just hope I don't go in there, and then he tells me that he thinks I have HIV based upon a thrush diagnosis, which, given a fairly widespread misunderstanding of HIV, is not inconceivable!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:12:54 pm »
Your doctor will not automatically think HIV.

splashsplash1

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:15:52 pm »
Are non-"moderators" not allowed to respond to questions on this forum?  I responded to a question in "still worried about insertive fellatio" and was told by Rapid Rod to keep my "thoughts and questions" in my own thread.  My response in the other persons forum was entirely relevant and did not reference my situation except in passing.  I do not see why anyone else's evaluation of the studies the individual cited are any more valid than my own.  I cannot imagine that a worried person would not want to hear the thoughts and opinions (when they relate to their question).  With all due respect to you wonderful moderators, I am a bit frustrated that I responded with a thoughtful evaluation of these studies and was treated as if I were trying to hijack a thread.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:21:24 pm »
If you would have read the guidelines in the "Welcome Thread" like you were suppose to, you would have known. You were not singled out by no means. You are not the first nor will you be the last to be told to keep your questions and thoughts in your own thread. By the way, you come here to ask questions, but you give advise on medhelp, this really puzzles me.

splashsplash1

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 12:40:32 pm »
I asked about thrush in an online community where HIV+ have had thrush; I have not seen a similar equivalent on medhelp.  I feel that I can give reassurance because it seems the best help frequently comes from people who were once in similar situations as the person in need.  Furthermore, if you would read my "advice" on medhelp I have referred people to this forum for help and try only to discuss things from my own experience in similar situations.

I don't see how you determined that my response represented in any way "questions that you have about your own concerns" as listed in guidelines, which I did read.  I responded about the validity of studies and in no way solicited any advice or replies for me.

Please, I don't wish to be a pain or to be at odds with you.  I really feel as if my input was valuable and am trying to determine how to modify it to be more appropriate in the future, should a similar issue come up.  I have been helped considerably by these forums, and if I can help contribute with meaningful responses then I would love to.  If not, I suppose that is okay too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 06:13:39 pm »
splash,

We discourage people who are posting in this forum  with their own concerns from answering the questions of others. This is because often times the information is close, but not quite right - and sometimes it is just plain wrong. When this happens, it makes extra work for us to go and "undo" what the inexperienced responder has told the person.

We used to allow anyone to answer questions in this forum, but was chaos and many times people ended up even more confused than ever. This particular on-line forum isn't like any old forum - hiv prevention and testing information is serious business and we want to make sure the information being given out is correct.

If you want a less closely moderated hiv transmission, prevention and testing forum, I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

splashsplash1

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 06:30:47 pm »
Thank you for the answer, Ann.  I certainly applaud what you do and that makes a lot of sense.  I was a bit confused about what I had done wrong, but I now see your reasoning.  Thanks and keep up the good work guys.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 06:32:36 pm »
splash,

You're welcome.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 04:10:45 am »
Splash,

I agree with what everyone else has told you on the thrush issue. I had that same problem with the lump in my throat some months back. I went to my doctor and he ordered sonogram of my thyroid done, whatever they were looking for came back negative. He suggested that I eat a little salt because of the iodine in it. I guess my body didn't have enough in it. I did that and have had no problems since. But please discuss this with your doctor. Because I don't know if you have high blood pressure or anything like that. I was just sharing my experience.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

splashsplash1

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:43:54 pm »
I have a bit of an academic question about insertive oral.  I realzie this has been talked about to death, but I have been wondering: it is said by many, many experts that there has never been a documented case of transmission via insertive oral sex.  My question: how likely is it that such an event, if it were to occur, would end up being documented?  Do medical providers usually inquire about apparent route of infection, or are there other ways of knowing (in addition to the studies from Spain and SF).
I am DEFINITELY not second guessing you guys, I was just very curious and am doing my best to educate myself!  If this question does not fit the scope of the forum please disregard it entirely.  Thanks very much!

splashsplash1

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 06:00:05 pm »
Tested Negative after 13 weeks!

But what are the chances a 13 week negative will turn positive?  just kidding.

Only now do I realize how rediculous my previous posts (on here and medhelp) were.  I hope this post and many others by WW's who tested conclusively positive will help the current WW's to calm down and appraise their situations with logic and detachment.  Good luck to everyone and thanks again to the moderators and contributors.  Bless you all.   :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 06:01:37 pm »
Congrats on that happy and conclusive test result.

Glad you found the exchanges here to be helpful.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.