Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:23:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 417
Total: 420

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: EMDR Therapy  (Read 11035 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
EMDR Therapy
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:17:01 pm »
Folks,

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with a type of therapy known as EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing).  It is supposed to help one re-process past "traumas".  I will freely admit that when I think of bad experiences and events I've had in the past, it seems like I am re-living them in the present -- the thoughts, the feelings, the emotions, the reactions, the people, the places -- all in incredible details.  So my therapist suggested EMDR as a possible option, since nothing else (including CBT) seems to have been effective in helping me.

http://www.emdria.org/

Has anyone else ever heard of EMDR before, or better yet have experience with it?

Thanks,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: EMDR Therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:29:06 pm »
no, but i am curious about it.  i'm the same way (suprise, suprise) that you are about such things:  i can get momentarily lost in the reliving of some bad things.  the pulse rate, the butterflies in the stomach, sense of embarassment or panic or whatever...all there right in the present, so i feel ya. 

have not heard of this before at all.  interesting.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:34 am »
From what I know Henry, it probably won't hurt ya.

There is some controversy about whether it's real or pseudo-science, especially the effectiveness of the eye-movements that it's proponents claim are essential to EMDR's success.

Skeptics claim that any successes from EMDR are as a result of the supportive psychotherapy that's inherent in this treatment, not the eye movements.

MtD

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:19:09 am »
Henry---- My profession is working with disability, treatment and intervention. EMDR has never panned out and trust me on this, if it worked in the way they say, there would be a real flood of people wanting to be trained so that they could make some difference in the many clients/patients who could use its "benefits'.

I am always wary of institutes that charge for special training, and that make a big deal about referring to Doctor So-and-So at every turn as if using "doctor" makes it more legit.

That said, the placebo effect can explain much and is valuable in many treatments across the board. If you believe, then you will consciously (and unconsciously) set up situations and attitudes that will make genuine changes. But the amount and quality of change usually cannot be estimated.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:14:26 pm »
I must admit that after reading about EMDR, I have a certain skepticism.  Though at this point, I'd appreciate even a placebo effect.  Goodness knows I've not seen any improvement in over a year of therapy (CBT and otherwise) with 2 different therapists.  Ditto for working with a psychiatrist on various anti-depressant meds.  I feel broken, and beyond repair.   :'(

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:25:58 pm »
You know Henry, as attractive as even the most outlandish things seems when we're desperate I think that EMDR is mostly a method to take money off vulnerable people.

But you gotta do what you gotta do, babe.

Be well :-*,

MtD

Offline Texan38

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:23:31 am »
I've never heard of EMDR, it does sound interesting. You seem to be a very kind and sincere person so I hope you do some more reasearch on this before you act on it.  I work for a clinic w/ two different sites and at both, the therapists use the CBT therapy, it works for some people and it doesn't for others. Hang in there, things can only get better (sorry for the cliche) but keep us updated, I'd like to know how you're doing.  :)
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline rick21007

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:56:01 pm »
I've had several collegues trained in EMDR---not every therapist who uses it has the training and credentialing recommended.  It does work with some people absolutely.  Dont think you have anything to lose by trying it yourself.
Not likely to cause a limp dick like Prozac.  The therapists I know do not use it by itself but as an adjunct to therapy.  CBT is not thought to an effective treatment for PTSD anyway, though probably the majority of therapists dont know what else to do.

Rick

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:14:36 pm »
EMDR can be very effective, especially for treating PTSD. I used the light bar, and it effectively cured me of some difficult PTSD symptoms. Didn't do anything for depression though. Seems to me it is most effective in dealing with symptoms surrounding a particular incident, like trauma, rather than chronic depressive state.

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:24:18 am »
never heard of this. But I'm curious about it. Sounds interesting.

BeTheLove

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 11:10:58 am »
I have a good friend living with AIDS who has used EMDR and swears by it.  He's someone with lots of past traumas too so I was impressed to hear that he was able to get quite a bit of relief through the EMDR.  I don't know if any of you have tried or heard of EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) but you can actually do it on yourself (which I love) once you learn it.  You can also, of course, work with someone who is trained in EFT and have them coach your through it.

I know people tend to poo-poo these sort of healing modelities.  I frankly swear by them.  I've used EFT on myself often and I KNOW it has greatly reduced anxiety as well as moved me past some physical challenges I've experienced.  It's known for being able to take the trauma-charge out of of our past stories that still haunt us.  So, it's kind a like taking the sting out of a story you just couldn't live with so that you could live with it without being negatively affected anymore.  The catch is this:  You need to be willing to practice, practice, practice as well as explore.  You can learn more about it at www.emofree.com   There's a free manual he offers too that you can download and start practicing with.

I love this modality for headaches, menstrual cramping, and also anxiety and anger issues.  I love that it works for the physical and emotional.  It's been used successfully for neuropathy in AIDS patients as well.  Thought you might to check it out.

I was practicing with it a few days ago and using it on some "father issues."  And I kept working around the grief, (and I mean DEEP grief) of being a disappointment to my father.  By the time I was done I kept saying aloud..."I'm a disappointment to my father.  I'm a disappointment to my father."  And I SWEAR it had no effect on me whatsoever.  I was kind alike "I'm a disapointment to my father.  So what!" <wink>  That was big stuff for me.

BTL

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.