Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:22:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 531
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 495
Total: 497

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: You won't believe this!  (Read 2515 times)

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
You won't believe this!
« on: July 31, 2007, 10:59:19 pm »
 News flash:

The AIDS epidemic has ended in SF.

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=2025

This hit me like a sharp kick to the 'nads.  I have never been a fan of SFAF, but really....

If the epidemic has ended (in their opinion) then perhaps it is time to close up shop.  We can use the money for direct services to people with AIDS, instead of inflated salaries for the non-infected.

(I must not be bitter, I must not be bitter, I must not be bitter...)

Here's their website:  http://www.sfaf.org/

Let 'em have it.

JR
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Re: You won't believe this!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:06:54 pm »
That is just bullshit, esp with the continuing number of new cases in SF each year!  How can they even put these stats in a "downsized" light?  I understand the difference in meaning between the two words epidemic and endemic, but why bother?  So many people are still affected by this virus!  What about the ones who aren't even getting tested?  Grrrrrr!  I have sent this link to all of my friends in anger.   >:(

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
Re: You won't believe this!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:19 am »
The Dutch AIDS Fonds and specifically their HIV foundation is the most corrupt and greedy org you can imagine, habitually pulling out funds aimed at helping poz people, incl women and children but also men to fund their high salaries, expensive home and jet set lifestyle. They get 1/2 mil Euro each year to fund just their copy-paste from the internet 20 page magazine, and yet they charge poz people 20-30 Euro a year for it. They have zero services for poz people except fancy "open houses" in which their leaders live freely and with a high salary, which are never actually open to the public and where you would be lucky if you could get a couple of consultations at best, a hotline that costs money to call (the STD-AIDS line), a line you could call like 2 hours a day and if you ask for anything you will get a really snotty guy who doesn't know, can't help you and is completely unsympathetic (and that's if you ask to meet someone poz in your area!), and no activities or funding for nothing except their hedonistic lifestlye. They don't help us get vitamins, alternative treatments, or anything, they just help themselves!

To the Toronto convention, they sent 70 of their "top members" in first class, put them in a 5 star facility and gave them 150 Euro a day each for spending money. They get millions fro the governement but also collect money from the public "for Africa", needless to say very little of it makes it there. Most poz people that I know, even gays (because they are predonminantly gay and have a gay agenda, supposedly, but only if you want to party with them, not if you are gay and need help) are completely disgusted and disillusioned with them. By the way, the leader of the paedophiliac and zoophiliaiac party here (a party aimed at legalizing this practices, which was eventually not allowed to run in the elections, but he had joined another party) used to volunteer/work for the HIV foundation, but as far as I know he is not positive himself.

How shall I put it? Some people involved in HIV/AIDS have very, very different agendas to what you would imagine.

Edited to add: "AIDS gala" indeed, I am sick and tired of all the glam attached to HIV. It has a place in raising money but some of the people really got cuaght up in the glamorous style.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:31:48 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.