Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:06:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: So far you've been right ,but doc wants : ......  (Read 12790 times)

Offline lkn2lrn

So far you've been right ,but doc wants : ......
« on: June 17, 2010, 04:53:26 pm »
Good day to all, i will try and get all ? in under one post so as to not abuse this forum, please bear with me as this is my first post on this site.
Early 50's male who decided to do some "experimenting" : I knew and never varied form my decision that i was never interested in any kind of anal either way ,body contact , or kissing .  I met this younger college boy , he performed oral on me until orgasm . I returned the  "favor"  and performed receptive oral for less than 20 seconds , there was no discernible (?) pre-cum , and definitely no ejaculation , (he masturbated himself to ejaculation  some 5 minutes later )
  The next morning I had a sore throat on one side , it gradually progressed over next two days to both sides of throat , on 4 th day painful to swallow, 5-6-7- extreme painful swallowing , fever uo to 101 % , running nose , coughing up phlem  from infection that made it's way to my lungs .
       Saw PCP on Monday (day 8) He observed lung capacity at 90% ,he said any less lung capacity and  he would recommend hospitalization . He gave me breathing treatment,  and scrip for 5 day course of  Levaquin and home inhaler , everything cleared up except for lingering wet cough that then turned to dry cough to essentially almost no cough now . sore throat while greatly diminished is still occasionally noticeable . Neck only lymph nodes swollen , tender, slightly painful started  at about 5+ week to now 7+ week exposure , but neck  nodes bothering
seems to come and go .
     Doc did say at time he'd seen a 5 fold increase in such symptoms at that time ,  two friends related not dissimilar symptoms and progression, but still ????
    Testing : day 25 Uni-Gold blood : NEGATIVE at clinic (Anonymous)
                 5 weeks 1-day  Ora-Quick Advance Hiv 1&2 : NEGATIVE at another clinic (Anonymous)
                 6 weeks  5 day to Major Hospital Hiv speciality  clinic . No tests because they report results to State , but based on  exam by  learning doc and supervising physician  was not infected , to soon , and if ARS , it would have shown up on 5 week test .
                 7 week 2-day  Ora-Quick Advance Hiv 1&2: NEGATIVE at same clinic (Anonymous)
Next scheduled test Uni-Gold is at  8 week 2-day , today is 7 week 4-day.
QUESTIONS : Comments on physicians statement ,
The seemingly conflicting consensus about oral sex, with/without pre-cum, with /without ejaculation : risk or NOT ?
Reliability of Med Health's  docs as to 7-8+ weeks reliability of  98--99% accuracy at those times ?
meaning of lasting symptoms , neck nodes on/off tenderness ,slight pain , feeling of swelling  and greatly lessened then disappearing , then re-appearing sore throat ?
Contacted "partner" he texted back  that he was negative ..? I offered to take  him to clinic and even pay way (he's back in home state for summer break ) NO other encounters. obviously I'm running out of excuses with girlfriends . . . .

Offline RapidRod

Re: Exposure, Symptoms, Testing, Results Confidence :
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:17:06 pm »
You never had a risk from oral sex. Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:49:02 pm »
See your doctor about the symptoms you are concerned about. As Rod has told you, nothing you did put you at risk for HIV transmission so you are worrying about that needlessly.

Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

There's no need for testing nor for further concern about HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:21:59 am »

NO other encounters. obviously I'm running out of excuses with girlfriends . . . .

WHAT? So you think you cannot get hiv from a heterosexual encounter? By "running out of excuses", I take it you mean excuses to not have any sexual relations - because you don't use condoms. You need to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse no matter who you are with. Are you aware that hiv is on the rise in heterosexuals in your age group? It's true. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm an hiv positive woman, nearly in my 50s, and you'd never, ever know by looking at me. Not that I'm hiv positive, not that I'm nearly 50. ;) And don't even try the "but they're good girls" line - I'm a good girl too.

And getting freaked out because you got a sore throat after one encounter with a man doesn't hold water - you could have been infected by any one of your girlfriends while having unprotected intercourse and never have one single symptom of primary infection. Many people don't. So forget about symptoms or even the lack of symptoms, they're meaningless.

And by the way, I totally agree with Rod and Andy that you weren't at risk for infection with the young man. However, your implied non-use of condoms with your girlfriends shocked me, because that is where the true risk lies - unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:24:20 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:44:22 am »
Thank you all for your answers , but i will of course continue to test out to 13 weeks . Also, I shall stay away
from the women in my life until that time . I'm hoping the confidence of your answers is reflected in test results . You all seem adamant  about your answers and testing out this far negative apparently is beneficial in it's own right .
     A special humbling thank you to Ann , your interpretation of my quotes was of course spot on . Though none of the women I see are seeing anyone else , and I have  always been tested for all STI's and have never had one so far . I am changed from this experience  and  when/if this ordeal comes to an end it will change habits .
      Many  men go through a sort of menopause at this age , a proving,  a  pursuit of unexplored opportunities , a facing of our mortality in a way you don't when you're younger . Sometimes those pursuits are careless and ill advised ,  that's been the case with me , and it ends here .
    Allow me the  opportunity in 5-6 weeks to post my test results , hopefully confirming your diagnosis . This forum  is a world where  you who are positive,  and share and properly chastise  we  who may be worried wells, become by some  act of grace , negative  again  by keeping us so .  .  . I bow

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:02:05 am »
lkn,

You don't have to "stay away from the women" in your life - you just need to use condoms with them for anal or vaginal intercourse, no matter what your test results are. It sounds as though you're seeing more than one woman at one time - which is fine, no judgements here - but you don't know if they're doing the same with other men and also not using condoms with the other men. Do they know they're not the only ones? Don't assume they'd tell you if you weren't the only one. Women keep secrets too, you know.

I understand about men's mid-life crisis. However, it's not an excuse to not use condoms. It doesn't matter how many women you're seeing or how many wild oats you're sowing, just wrap it up.

And once again, nothing you did with the young man was a risk for hiv infection. However, you do need to test at three months past your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse for a conclusive result. Forget the blowjobs - you're not in a window period for that.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:31:35 am »
Damm  Ann , you had me hooked and believing then you go throw the blowjob line in ! Which  leads one to believe that the great no exposure from oral sex  mantra if flawed ...?
      Nevermind that's the exact thing I'm asking about , though my no ejaculation, no apparent pre-cum , 20 second insertion would hardly qualify as a blowjob in anyone's  estimation , still what gives ..? BJ's to full completion with  hiv infected  semen  for a orally compromised giver is a risk , is that what you are alluding to ...?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:37:27 am »
lkn,

No, I'm saying straight out that a blowjob - whether insertive or receptive, whether 30 seconds or 30 minutes - is not a risk for hiv infection.

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:10:24 pm »
Ok, that's pretty compelling " evidence  ?".
    Still , your quote  " Forget the blowjobs -you're not in the window period for that . " What is the meaning of that line ..? Is it your conscience saying something it knows to be true , but you're compelled for some reason to  get back into robot mode and spew the party line ??????               Damm woman , be the NIKE' commercial girl  and throw that sledge hammer through the screen and wake everyone up ,you had so impressed me up to now , I read a bit of your bio , so I'm still liking .....but lead us all into the light no matter what , be and say what YOU feel is the absolute truth . If there's a risk just say so , it is what it is , but don't try and cover up a statement ---if that's what you were doing , I don't know . But it certainly seems to conflict with the response mantra .
     All your other words had exact no secondary interpretations . I know most other sites do seem to SOMEWHAT say that oral sex is a  greatly reduced form of transmission , and I for one am not ready to believe that no one in the 25+  years of the epidemic  has never become positive through oral sex , that just seems to a layperson to be  an incredulous belief.
       Well, it's noon time on a beautiful almost officially summer day on the east coast of Massachusetts , I'm going out to enjoy some of this day , but please , let's follow this through to a belief system that everyone can take with them .

( You understand for real world reasons I'm not letting anyone next to me until the 13 week mark , no blowjob, and I'm certainly not going to have sex or  start with a condom with any of them right now ,talk about waving a red flag . I'm pretty sure the one I'm going to be  monogamous with , I'll have her get tested  after my 13 week  and live on from there .)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:59:36 pm »

Still , your quote  " Forget the blowjobs -you're not in the window period for that . " What is the meaning of that line ..?

The window I refer to is the window period for hiv testing - which is three months. Only an hiv antibody test three months after a risky act has taken place is conclusive for a negative result.

You didn't have a risk where the oral sex is concerned, therefore, you are not in a window period for hiv testing over the oral. Which is exactly what I meant, no more, no less, when I said "Forget the blowjobs -you're not in the window period for that."

However. You HAVE put yourself at risk by having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with your girlfriends. You need to test three months past your last incident of unprotected intercourse for a conclusive negative result.

It's pretty simple, really.

Blowjobs = NO risk.

Unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse = RISK.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »
Ok thanks , my misread . Don't do anal with anyone , as far as i'm concerned that's for dump not pump , my choice . Well since I have not had intercourse or anything since before my apparent no risk oral encounter that would put me at about 9 weeks since last unprotected vaginal intercourse .
     Testing out to 12-13 weeks it is , so i'm back to feeling better about the 7 week negative and the doc's assessment  that almost 7 weeks post  what would have been ARS symptoms  is more than enough time for antibodies  to present .
   Back at you n a few weeks, thanks again.  .   .

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 02:00:36 pm »
lkn,

OK, I'm glad we cleared that misunderstanding up.

I do not expect your seven week negative to change when you have your conclusive three month test.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

And like I said, I don't expect your result to change.

Now go out and enjoy that sunny East Coast afternoon.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lkn2lrn

Same question as Xforge . . . .?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:17:55 am »
 As an 8 week negative climbing the 12 week tower I'm a bit confused over advice to Xforge  . . . .?
 4 Docs at  medshealth state : 8 week test is 99-100 % accurate , ("the 99% is because NOTHING in science is 100%,"docs words  paraphrased).
     They additionally advise that they have NEVER  seen an 8 week negative test  turn positive from the SAME exposure , and give convincing arguments why . 
    While I understand the 3 month mantra , aren't these  opinions respected ? Have your experiences with those posting newly infected or from other resources been contradictory of the docs opinions  ?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Same question as Xforge . . . .?
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22:20 am »
Please keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 12:32:40 pm »
First of all, I have merged your threads here. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

You're making the issue way more complicated than it has to be. As the insertive male your risk is lower than the woman's. It's significantly harder to transmit HIV to a guy from a woman than the other way around. With a negative at 8 weeks the very strong likelihood is that you will continue to test negative.

Meantime instead of surfing the net and otherwise scaring yourself to no good purpose, you need to focus on other things in your life. Don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I tell you that kind of response definitely isn't going to fly here.

I expect you to test negative at 13 weeks. Now, get busy with other things.
Andy Velez

Offline lkn2lrn

Re: Exposure, Symptoms, Testing, Results Confidence :REPLY # 12
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:01 am »
 Thanks  for the chin up , move on advice , but i kind of did want an answer ,even for just educational purposes for myself and readers about my final question on that thread .  It concerned the after 8 week negative to a later positive test and what has been posters in the other forums real world experience as well as you moderators ?
    Also, how does that jibe with the docs on medshealth  pretty staunch stance about any negative tests post 8 weeks being conclusive ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:30:50 am »
We're really not interested in what you may read on other sites. As far as testing is concerned we follow the CDC's longstanding recommendation of 13 weeks as a reliable testing point for a conclusive result.

It would be very unlikely for someone to test negative at 8 weeks and then test positive at 13 weeks. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days and all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus.
Andy Velez

Offline lkn2lrn

Re: Exposure, Symptoms, Testing, Results Confidence :FINAL ????
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »
Moderators :
I'm back with testing results, i've enjoyed reding this forum and this one only --took advice to not get to deep into this and make oneself crazy .
 8wk 2d : Unigold Instant 1/2 Blood : NEG.
9w 3d :Ora Quick 1/2 Blood: NEG
9w 5d : PCR RNA / Elisa Blood : NEG
10w 3d: Ora Quick 1/2 Blood : NEG
12w 2d: Ora Quick 1/2 Blood: NEG
IS THIS ENOUGH  ?          I swithed these tests off to 3 different clinics and two hiv docs offices just to nix the chance of bad batch of instant tests  or incompetent clinicians .
    One doc told me if early symptoms were ARS, 2-3 weeks post you would have  positive antibody tests !
Doc who did PCR / Elissa : "Testing stops here !"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 09:06:59 pm »
Your test results are conclusive. You do not have HIV infection.

You can stop testing. Please stop testing. Do something constructive with your life.

MtD

Offline lkn2lrn

New ? Can cancer , not being treated with any drugs , alter antibody detection?
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »
My question directly relates to someone having  a  cancer diagnosis  (prostate )and if just the fact that one's immune system is fighting the cancer in some fashion on it's own ,  before medical drug intervention , would that , in and of itself delay antibody detection to a longer window period (How long  ? )  or indefinitely ? and if so would this be a setting where a PCR RNA  or DNA or other  antigen test  could detect infection where the antibodys may not ...?  If so which tests ...?
    Gee, talk about a run on sentence !

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »
Having cancer won't affect your test results. Having treatment for cancer may.

Offline lkn2lrn

Can cancer not being treated with any drugs ,alter antibody detection ?
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »
Good afternoon . My question directly relates to someone having a cancer diagnosis (Prostate) and if just the fact that one's immune system is fihgting the cancer in some fashion on it's own , BEFORE ANY MEDICAL DRUG INTERVENTION, would that , in and of itself delay antibody production and/or detection to a longer window period  (How long ? ) or indefinitely ?
   If so, would this be a setting where a PCR RNA OR DNA  or some other antigen test could dertect infection where antibodys can not ..? if so which of these or other  tests is called  for in this setting  ?  ??? ???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Can cancer not being treated with any drugs ,alter antibody detection ?
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 02:40:20 pm »
lk,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

The only time cancer will make a difference to hiv antibody testing is when the patient is on chemotherapy. Untreated cancer will not affect the test.

If the person with cancer is yourself, you are still conclusively hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »
Thanks, Anne and Teak , you'll be glad to know your advice was just 100% confirmed by an infectious disease
specialist from Boston BIG hospital  over the phone :
    PROSTATE  UNTREATED  CANCER  Will not affect antibody tests , all tests up to now are true and definitive .
     Although , like a typical CDC   recomendation  following doctor she says to test out to 6 months  anyway , just to be sure if it was a high exposure .  I'm awaiting an elisa and PCR RNA result  any day now for a 19 week +1 day  test . I'll finish out every two weeks for the next 6 and consider that a wrap !

Thanks again for your prompt reply  and spot on advice . . .you guys are the bomb !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 04:15:36 pm »
lk,

Wow, that sure is some testing over-kill! Totally unnecessary and a waste of time, money and resources.

The window period for testing has been at three months for years now. You don't need further antibody testing and you certainly don't need PCR testing. Waste your money if you want, but unless you go out and have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with someone of unknown or positive status, you're just going to collect a very large collection of expensive, negative test results.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lkn2lrn

Delayed seroconversion....?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 07:09:00 pm »
 To all moderators, but especially Ann. i just read Naveea's 6/18/10 post which was part of  his  recent posting and the "Delayed
 Seroconversion " link he had there . Are all those people liars...?  I mean most of them  Neg. neg. neg.   , No sex contact , then  all of a sudden Positive and absolutely devastating numbers , within  a 6-9 month period , what gives ..?
   Can you help to clarify that for me ..?  I'm almost at 6 months with a boat load of  various negatives , I have a rapid blood scheduled for my 23 week , then an elisa on my 25 th week. If all remain negative and symptoms persist I'm off to an Hiv specialist to work out what is going on .
   But please , before any chastising about testing ,would you please help me to understand exactly what those D.S. posters claim is going on ...?
  I pointed Ann out because she was part of the thread and saw nothing unusual to comment on other than their terminology ...?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »
Naveea, was/is a worry wart and does not have HIV.

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 08:33:44 pm »
Um, ok about him . But my question was about the link he posted to those delayed serocoverters and your opinion of their validity , please ?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 08:45:40 pm »
Um, ok about him . But my question was about the link he posted to those delayed serocoverters and your opinion of their validity , please ?

You are not a delayed seroconverter. You do not need to be tested. You do not have HIV.

You do need a Moderator's boot in your ass, however.

MtD

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »
    YA !  That's the spirit , now you're talking TO  me . I'll take that boot , as long as your willing to take it back if circumstances  "change" . So boots up mine now (The only thing that's ever been up it !!!!!!!). . .accepted .
Good day.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »
    YA !  That's the spirit , now you're talking TO  me . I'll take that boot , as long as your willing to take it back if circumstances  "change" . So boots up mine now (The only thing that's ever been up it !!!!!!!). . .accepted .
Good day.

If you turn out to be a clinically verified delayed seroconverter I'll walk down to my local town square at lunch time and point my bare ass to the sun.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »
LKN, you need to stop looking for fuel to feed your fears.

The only thing for you to be concerned about at this time is the usual garden variety stuff that gets thrown at everyone AND that you are teeter totering towards a Time Out for coming here again and again with what ifs and but but buts when HIV is not your problem.

Give it up and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 11:55:06 pm »
Understood, and warning heeded. I  wouldn't come on here if i didn't respect the moderators . I will support this site or it's charity arm for putting up with my  now and then rants. Just that I'm getting to the 6 month cut-off and losing  a bit of nerve .   .    .Once a  hiv specialist  gives me the thumbs-up , after my 25 week test I will come to settle accounts.  .  .Thanks again for taking the time to answer .

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 12:13:52 am »
Yeah, thing is, you do not have a six month window. It is the chemotherapy, which basically destroys the immune system, that can (but does not often) prevent antibodies from forming. Its the CHEMO that creates that extended window, not the cancer.

Seriously. I mean seriously. You ought to know this, after all the research you have done.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 07:40:06 am »
You don't have anything to "settle up" with here. If you "respected" the moerators as you say you'd be happily getting on with your life instead of holding on to unwarranted fears about HIV.

It seems you are only listening to the doubts and fears in your head and not to anything that has been said to you here. HIV is not your problem. If you continue to return here about the same incident you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out.

There's nothing more we can do for you in this setting. 
Andy Velez

Offline lkn2lrn

So far you've been right ,but doc wants : ......
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 04:27:49 pm »
 Hello again, my testing since last on these boards are as follows : 24wk 3d  Elisa 1/2 and Syphillis,
26wk 4d PCR DNA(This was online provider and test result said it was performed without an approved tests so I continued on )   29wk 3d PCR DNA , I really started to begin to believe because I didn't test again until 34wk UniGold Blood. All of course negative/undetectable .
    But from wk29---34  saw an HIV DOC who said my presenting of symptoms of  hurting collar nodes  and  sometimes burning bothersome  above groin area warranted further diagnosis, but a recent flu shot before I saw him might contaminate the tests he wanted to perform.
   He also said I could be not making antibodies, but  even if that was true (?) that would not discredit 2 RNAS and 2 DNAS  right  ?   
      My tests previous to the wk 24 Elisa are 10 rapid bloods, 3 elisas, and the 2 RNAS . Yes a total of 19 tests from the 5th week of encounter .
So, this coming week I'm back to the doc after 2 full months since the flu & pneumonia shots. I'm still presenting with hurting collar node area and sometimes stiff neck and the warm/bothersome above groin area.
    FINALLY  my question , the docs wants to do T-cell subsets and seems pretty confident  that the results  will
tell the infection or not story . Am I about to break some kind of record here and test positive despite a boatload of tests saying NAY ..? or be the "exception " ?  What exactly are the T-cell subsets going to tell him  ? Is he looking for the "switch" between cd4/cd8 %  and total CD4 count  ? He's says once he's done with his tests it will be the final answer to "Am I infected"    Am I infected ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: So far you've been right ,but doc wants : ......
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »
LKN,

How many times do we have to ask you to stop starting new threads? This is the third time we've had to merge for you. Get with the program already.

It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

And by the way, I deleted the post you left in someone else's thread. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to - and you've been previously asked to - you will have read the following posting guideline:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Please consider yourself warned!

Looking at your CD4s (the T-cell subset the doctor is talking about) won't tell him one single thing about your hiv status. However, all those PCR tests and antibody tests you've had WILL tell him something and that something is that you do NOT have hiv! You are conclusively hiv negative and have been since you tested at twelve weeks.

You say your doctor is concerned that you are not producing antibodies, but even if this were the case and you were indeed positive, you would not have tested negative on the PCR tests you have had. The PCR tests look for the virus, not the antibodies.

You are conclusively hiv negative. Both you and your doctor need to trust all the negative antibody and PCR test results you've had and start looking for other possible causes of your symptoms. You have already conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

You are conclusively hiv negative and this isn't the first time we've told you this. You never had a risk in the first place, as we also repeatedly told you.

If you insist on using this forum to continue to question your conclusive negative result - one that followed a NO RISK SITUATION - you WILL be given that time out you were warned about a couple months ago.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

Ann
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:49:35 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lkn2lrn

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »
Woa, ok . I tried to stay on the same link but a red warning  post came up top  about it's been over  two months and if it's a different subject to new-post ,did you know that  the warning came up ? So i new-posted !
   I was just trying to tell that guy about testing sites in Boston, the post was NOT directed about issues and answers ,sorry .
       So, mea fellow Irish person , I've been to the Iles of mea ancestors  4 years ago and might be going back in  da late spring or early summer (before the tourists) for the west side surfing  . . .
   You've got the cute going on  lassie , if i make it back we should hook-up ......for a Guiness , at the factory ,in the rotunda bar ...what's ya say lassy  ? I think it'd be cool to hang with an online connection  . . .let me know !
P.S. It's all on me of course , a gentlemen I remain. . .
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:11:52 pm by lkn2lrn »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 05:46:05 pm »
How about you just concentrate on behaving responsibily in your sex life which means always using condoms for intercourse and staying in your own threads.

That's not a question. That's a very strong suggestion.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »
LKN,

I'm only a quarter Irish and I do not live in Ireland. I live in the middle of the Irish Sea. Oh, and "lassy" is more of a Scottish thing.

And you are still hiv negative, no matter what your ancestry or where you're going on holiday this next year. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you'll stay hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.