Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:01:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 211
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Intensified Antiretroviral Therapy plus Interleukin-7 for HIV Eradication  (Read 13007 times)

nychope1

Phase 2 Trial Tests Intensified Antiretroviral Therapy plus Interleukin-7 for HIV Eradication

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/recent/2010/1022_2010_c.html

Offline Gio

Re: Intensified Antiretroviral Therapy plus Interleukin-7 for HIV Eradication
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:44:16 pm »
What an incredible christmas gift this would be if they announced that it works... I wobder how quickly this would take for commercialization...  The hope is there and alot of faitj

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:16 pm »
Lets not get our hopes up people.  This research stuff moves at a glacial speed.  Nothing's gonna happen by Christmas.  Barring a miracle, nothing's gonna happen by NEXT Christmas either.
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

nychope1

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:59:37 pm »
Oh ye of little faith!

True nothing spectacular will happen by Christmas, a month away, but a cure to this virus, functional or eradication, is nearing the tipping point. There has been a fundamental shift in the paradigm and the cure is in the cross hairs. It is a matter of who gets there first.

Cure for HIV Is Feasible and Necessary, Experts Say:
http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2010_conference/AIDS2010/docs/0720d_2010.html

In the immortal words of, ehm, Jesse Jackson; "Keep Hope Alive"
What else do we have aside from the miracle of HAART.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:13:53 pm by nychope1 »

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:29:51 am »
Oh, I believe that a cure is imminent.  I'm even slightly optimistic that it'll happen before the virus does profound damage to me.  HIV research, constrained by a lack of funding and various safety mechanisms, moves at a glacial pace though, and I don't take it for granted.  Interleukin in particular has been floating around as a potential resevoir vacator for at least the last seven years (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20030917/local/new-treatment-may-flush-out-hidden-aids-virus), and they're just now beginning to recruit for serious human trials.  These trials will take YEARS to complete.  Then, we'll need another round of trials that will take YEARS.  Then, there will be another set of YEARS while American insurance companies fight the provision of new treatment and European governments haggle over costs.  That's assuming that this particular experiment actually succeeds in completely voiding the resevoir, which is hardly gauranteed. 

As someone who believes a cure is imminent, I think we all need to do more to advocate for it.  Did you join the letter writing campaign?  I'm ashamed to say that I did not.  Check it out.  http://www.aidspolicyproject.org/nih-letter.html .  Its past the Dec. 1 timeframe that the Aids Policy Project suggests, but it probably wouldn't hurt to drop a letter in the mail anyways.  I also believe that we need to not hitch our emotional well being to every advance that materializes, lest we might begin to take a cure for granted and find ourselves severely let down.
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:06 am »
Do you have any idea how many times we've heard that?  "The Cure." "HIV Eradication." You'll learn.

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:34 am »
Do you have any idea how many times we've heard that?  "The Cure." "HIV Eradication." You'll learn.

Yeah, you overly exuberant newbies.  When will you learn?!?

According to guys like Rod:

1) All research is shit and pointless.  A giant scam.

2) Any perceived "progress" is fake and to be held up for ridicule.

3) Big Pharma won't ever let this happen.  There's a worldwide conspiracy against finding a cure.

4) Technology as it pertains to HIV is forever stuck at 1990 levels.  Scientists are dolts.

5) Don't have hope.  Ever.  In any way.  Better to be a bitter jerk and bring others down. 

Got it?

Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »
Yeah, you overly exuberant newbies.  When will you learn?!?

According to guys like Rod:

1) All research is shit and pointless.  A giant scam.

2) Any perceived "progress" is fake and to be held up for ridicule.

3) Big Pharma won't ever let this happen.  There's a worldwide conspiracy against finding a cure.

4) Technology as it pertains to HIV is forever stuck at 1990 levels.  Scientists are dolts.

5) Don't have hope.  Ever.  In any way.  Better to be a bitter jerk and bring others down. 

Got it?

Oh come off it, that is not at all what he said.  (God help me I'm defending Rod)

He basically just said don't get your hopes up as they may be crushed.  I remember when I was young they said a cure to HIV was 10 years out.  They've said that numerous times.  I do feel like a cure is on the horizon, but I have a vested interest in that and there is no scientific fact to back up my opinion.  Bide your time, don't get your hopes up and have a pleasant Risen Zombie Savior day.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »
Oh come off it, that is not at all what he said.  (God help me I'm defending Rod)

He basically just said don't get your hopes up as they may be crushed.  I remember when I was young they said a cure to HIV was 10 years out.  They've said that numerous times.  I do feel like a cure is on the horizon, but I have a vested interest in that and there is no scientific fact to back up my opinion.  Bide your time, don't get your hopes up and have a pleasant Risen Zombie Savior day.

I'm with you, Hellraiser. I definitely believe some level of "cure" is on the horizon and believe there is a huge difference between being optimistic and being delusional.

What is "Risen Zombie Savior Day"??

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:42:25 am »
I'm with you, Hellraiser. I definitely believe some level of "cure" is on the horizon and believe there is a huge difference between being optimistic and being delusional.

What is "Risen Zombie Savior Day"??

Sorry that should be Risen Zombie Savior Birthday (Christmas).

Risen Zombie Savior Day is Easter.

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 03:15:47 am »
I will take my pills,hope for better meds and will stop there.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline xman

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:24:59 pm »
there are many scientist who states that there was never a so big interest in finding a cure than now. in the last two decades many efforts went in a preventive vaccine. now this goal seems out of reach and most interest is dedicated to a cure. i guess we will find one soon and hiv will be like hcv.

perhaps, since treatment is getting better, many will not even try the cure for possible side effects but stay on meds. the scenario could be curious.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:28:04 pm by xman »

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 03:14:05 pm »
perhaps, since treatment is getting better, many will not even try the cure for possible side effects but stay on meds. the scenario could be curious.

Economically speaking, lifetime HAART isn't really a viable option and I think the powers that be understand that. There has to be a concerted effort at a more cost effective way of defeating HIV rather than just getting along with it.

I think we are now where we need to be (for the most part) with respect to controlling it (although we need to solve the issues of the ADAP waiting lists which I'm hoping the Pharma solution that Leatherman has posted will be successful in doing).

For the most part, we have reached "containment", now, the focus needs to be on eradication.

Offline jay195

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:16 pm »
I told you all that a cure is on its way.

Jay

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:00 pm »
sorry for a short tangent from the whatever HIV eradication, cure, treatment thingie being discussed.  ;)  :D

(although we need to solve the issues of the ADAP waiting lists which I'm hoping the Pharma solution that Leatherman has posted will be successful in doing).
sadly, the pharma solution of donating meds (accessible through the Wellvista distribution program) is only a temporary solution. It was conceived as only a one year fix beginning in May 2009 and was extended for a second year until at least May 2011. Who knows what'll happen with the program after that. What we do know is that many state budgets will not have the monies to fund ADAP and the need for access to meds will still be an issue.

Several longterm fixes for the problem could be to get the federal and state budgets to increase spending on ADAP funding rather than decreasing the funding; for WellVista to get a longer commitment from the Heinz Family and pharma companies; or some "public option" of healthcare like the proposed changes to Medicare/Medicaid to allow for a "non-disabled maintanence-medication" classification allowing people to have better, cheaper access to meds whether disabled (as many in the past were) or not (as many newly diagnosed are).

Economically speaking, lifetime HAART isn't really a viable option and I think the powers that be understand that.
"Economically"? For who though?  ;) LOL

Of course, a cure would be the optimal solution for the fed and the states towards financing the health care costs of caring for those HIV-infected; however, that solution competes with increasing the bottom-lines of the pharma companies who are doing quite well selling a lot of meds to a lot of infected people.

Although I have hope of a cure someday, I'm also inured to the idea of an imminent cure after hearing the hype for nearly 20 yrs. I know that we haven't had a cure yet from lack of trying (damned mutating, complicated virus!); but I also know they've been looking for cures to cancer, diabetes, MS, etc for a heck of a lot longer so I doubt the HIV cure is "just around the corner". Living in the here and now, I am more concerned with people being able to procure access to treatment today, so they can still be alive when the cure arrives in another 10-20 yrs after the discovery, development and clinical trials.  ;)

thanks for your time and now I return you to the discussion about Intensified Therapy and Interleukin-7  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline numbers

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:40 pm »
Thanks nychope for posting the link, it is encouraging to this newbie to see that there is at least some hope and, as you say, a paradigm shift.  :)
Tested positive Feb. 2010 VL 181K CD4 161
Started Truvada, Prezista, and Norvir
Sept 2010 VL UD CD4 380
Jan 2011 VL UD CD4 450 I can sleep now thanks to Cipralex!
March 2011 VL UD CD4 490
September 2011 VL UD CD4 500

nychope1

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 12:41:03 am »
Hey there, Numbers..  No trouble here at all...I'm glad you and some others found the article interesting. This is only one of many encouraging developments I come across along with all the great news posted here. Fascinating watching this virus unravel and reveal itself.  Be well always..

Offline stargate12

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 07:41:36 am »

.but I also know they've been looking for cures to cancer, diabetes, MS, etc for a heck of a lot longer so I doubt the HIV cure is "just around the corner". Living in the here and now, I am more concerned with people being able to procure access to treatment today, so they can still be alive when the cure arrives in another 10-20 yrs after the discovery, development and clinical trials.  ;)

In 2010 you can be cured from cancer. My sister had  cancer 18 years ago (she took chemio ) and she is still cancer free.

nychope1

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:59 am »
Good point, Star..

There are whole classes of cancer that are completely treatable and curable that used to be a death sentence. Oh man... really remarkable what is going on with cancer treatment and research.

My father died of lung cancer 17 years ago and if he could have taken a pill once a night for the rest of his life to keep him alive he would have gladly done it and considered that a cure.
My brother had HPV related throat cancer last year, the same cancer that Mike Douglas has now, and he is fine and doing well now.  He did go through hell though. I mean Sloan Kettering, God Bless them, really put him through the ringer between the radiation and the chemo. Whew... give me my atripla!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:29:27 am by nychope1 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 11:16:42 am »
In 2010 you can be cured from cancer.
Although I am truly very happy for your sister and you, that is a gross misstatement of the facts. :'(

Just a few years ago, in 2008, while my partner was in the hospital 60 days being diagnosed and treated for non-Hodgkins lymphoma, we saw 8 oncology patients go to the morgue and 8 go home with their loved ones. After two rounds of chemo, which failed allowing the 3 tumors to continue growing, I took my partner home and 9 days later he passed away (almost 14 yrs to the date of losing my first partner to AIDS).

It's still very much what kind of cancer you have, how well the meds work for you, and the luck of draw whether you survive cancer or not. At least those were the statistics the 3 cancer doctors gave me at that time. Please don't think for a moment that cancer is something that is cured. In America, people will be dying from it today, just like people are dying from AIDS today.* The survival rate for both illnesses depends on when the situation is caught and how well one responds to the treatment.

*go visit your local hospital if you don't believe me and see for yourself. A lot of heartbreak will be happening in hospitals around the country today, as it does nearly everyday. Such is the plight of mankind. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:18:30 am by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

nychope1

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 11:59:02 am »
Hey Leatherman..

Always sorry to hear about loved ones lost. My condolences of course. I went through it with my dad and my grandfather who both had cancer. Luckily, because of new treatments, my brother survived throat cancer without an operation.

I know you were commenting on Stars comment which I believe bares some truth. To clarify my statement I clearly said "classes of cancer" not all. Of course there are always mitigating circumstances that will effect treatment and cure. For instance, when a person is diagnosed, the persons overall health so on and so forth. But compared to years ago.. Breast, cervical, thyroid, throat, colon, prostate all can be treated and completely eradicated if caught in a reasonable amount of time and even then, in some cases, there is hope that the new treatments will work.

As well, I have personally spent quite a bit of time at Sloan Kettering. One of the premier cancer hospitals in the US if not the world. Firstly because my sister was an assistant head nurse on the pulmonary cancer floor. Second because my father spent three months there and thirdly because that is where my brother was for a month last year. So I know first hand the pain and anguish that goes along with cancer and many many other diseases.

In anycase..this is veering off this threads subject. The HIV virus is not cancer and cancer is not the HIV virus. So finding a certain kind of cure or not for one has little to do with the other.

Best to you and congrats on your determination and resilience.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:20:11 pm by nychope1 »

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »
Nice new avatar, Inch!

This is great news. I especially like the fact that this trial is so "short". We'll have to keep an eye on this. Deplete the reservoir = cure. Let's hope that if they are successful, there are not remaining reservoirs that are unaffected by these drugs.

Thanks for the info!

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 05:16:17 am »
Read this blast from the past.  I've slept about 4 hours in the last 48, so I'm no good. 

http://www.poz.com/articles/259_1854.shtml
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 10:33:55 am »
Read this blast from the past.  I've slept about 4 hours in the last 48, so I'm no good. 

http://www.poz.com/articles/259_1854.shtml

You did notice, didn't you, that the new article deals with interleukin-7 and your blast from the past (1995) deals with interleukin-2?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 12:27:26 pm »
I did.  What is the difference between the two?

EDIT:  I'm curious as to whether investigation of the one lead to the other, and whether IL-2 is being investigated as an option as well, since the article describes a process that sounds a lot like "voiding the resevoirs".  I also wanted to add the link to provide some background to many people who are, in my opinion, overly optimistic about the timeframe of when cure research will be completed.  The fact that we've been playing around with this class of chemicals since pre-HAART days might provide some perspective to this.  But yes, even in my near-stupor, I realized that we were talking about a different substance.   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:47:17 pm by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 01:08:40 pm »
I did.  What is the difference between the two?

The difference between IL-2 and IL=7? IL-5, of course! ;D

Seriously though...

There are several differences, such as having different sources (IL-2, T-cells ; IL-7, bone marrow, the thymus and a couple others, I think).

They also have different functions. IL-2 stimulates growth and differentiation of T-cells, while IL-7 activates T-cells, which is why it makes sense that they're using it to try to flush hiv out of reservoirs. They're hoping it will activate latent cells that are infected so the ARVs can finish them off.

I'm aware this is a very basic explanation. I don't have the patience right now to google for more detailed information.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 03:48:09 pm »
The difference between IL-2 and IL=7? IL-5, of course! ;D

Seriously though...

There are several differences, such as having different sources (IL-2, T-cells ; IL-7, bone marrow, the thymus and a couple others, I think).

They also have different functions. IL-2 stimulates growth and differentiation of T-cells, while IL-7 activates T-cells, which is why it makes sense that they're using it to try to flush hiv out of reservoirs. They're hoping it will activate latent cells that are infected so the ARVs can finish them off.

I'm aware this is a very basic explanation. I don't have the patience right now to google for more detailed information.

IL 7 penetrates the thymus?  So it DOES have the possibility of eradicating HIV from the brain?  Has anyone explored the possibility that the destruction of infected brain resevoirs might hasten the onset of cognitive issues?
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 04:47:24 pm »
I didn't say it penetrates the thymus, I said the thymus is one of its sources. It's secreted by certain cells found in the thymus. Google it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline buginme2

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »
Its good to have hope.

I think HIV will be cured....some day...I dont know when and think it is unwise to give a time period.  Being that it is an infectious disease, like most other infectious diseases it will someday be eradicated (like polio, small pox, chicken pox, ect).  You cannot compare a cure for HIV with a cure for cancer, MS, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, ect.  HIV is an infection and the others are malfunctions of the body.

As far as the IL-2 and IL-7.  Has it moved to human trial?  I'm not familiar with IL-7 however from my understanding IL-2 is toxic to take.  It has been investigated and used as a treatment for some cancers however taking it can kill you.  Is IL-7 just as toxic? 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.