Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 156
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The worst part of having a pet......  (Read 6375 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
The worst part of having a pet......
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
The worst part of having a pet is when you have to make a decision to say goodbye.

Today I made an appt. for our cat, Charlie -- this will be his final visit to the vet.  He is 15 years old, has early kidney disease, early heart failure, has lost more than a third of his weight since last Aug (when he spent 3 days in ICU for Congestive Heart Failure), doesn't seem to want much food and has begun urinating all around the house.

This little guy (pure black, short-haired domestic cat) came into our lives just about 8 years ago.  5 weeks after we got him, I was diagnosed poz and that day as I sat crying about it, he came and curled up on my lap and just looked up at me.  He sat there purring and nuzzling my hand for scratches-- he so helped me pull myself together to talk with Sid that day.

He's always been more "dog" than cat.  He comes when called (most of the time).  Greets us with enthusiastic, and non-stop meows.  He rolls around and drools while we pet him.  Any night that I am watching TV he is curled up on my lap, sleeping.

Hi appointment is Friday at 5:30 -- I can't tell you how much I am going to miss him -- there is going to be such a large hole in our house.  I know I'm doing the right thing for him though -- and I will be with him, petting him and talking to him right up to the end. 

My heart is breaking though.....  I hate this part!!!   :'(  :'(  :'(

Mike

Offline darryaz

Re: The worst part of having a pet......
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.  Please remember the many years of joy Charlie gave you (and you to him!)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:14:23 pm »
Mike , Im so sorry to hear you are having to go through this . I am a pet person so I'm no stranger to what you are having to do , so with that my heart goes out to you . Hugs .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »
Oh Mike I'm so sorry.

I know how hard this will be on you, but I also know you will do what's right for Charlie, he is relying on you to stop his pain and suffering, as animal owners and lovers it's a part of life we dread, but know that one day we will all have to make that same decision. 

Sending hugs to you and Sid.

Aroha and in sadness
Jan :'(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
Hey Mike,
Had to go through the same last year with our 15 year old dog. The bond between us humans and our animal pals is what makes times like this so difficult.
My heart goes out to you and Sid. :'(
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:56:27 pm »
Oh Mike, I'm so sorry.  Having pets is wonderful, until it comes time to say good-bye.  I have a kitty myself that has pulled me through many hard days; she's my side kick. 

Peace to you and your partner, knowing that you'll be giving Charlie peace. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:04:05 am »
I am sorry Charlie is in bad health, and you have to make this decision.  I always hope I will never have to make this decision.  My dog of 16 years luckily went very quickly one night.  I always hope they will just get old and die in their sleep. 

I wish you all the best through this difficult time.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:48 am »
so sorry to hear this news. This decision is always a hard one; but a neccesary, loving and caring one to make.
hugs and love to y'all.
 :-* :'( :-* :'(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:20:32 am »
It is always so hard to do that. You have my deepest condolences. Your cat was well and truly loved, and you are doing the best possible thing by sparing Charlie from pain and suffering. I hope that we each have such an angel, when our times grow short.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:39 am »
So sorry to read this.  I absolutely understand your heartbreak and how terrible the final decision is.  Even though you know it's the right thing to do, it doesn't lessen the pain.

Sending you positive energy. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:34 am »
((((((Mike))))))

So sorry to hear this. I know how much it hurts. My own cats, past, present and (most likely) future have always meant the world to me. Vester, Fred and Monster send their condolences as well.

Hugs,
Ann, Vester, Fred and Monster
xxx and kitty-rubs
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline britchick

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:02:50 am »
Im so very sorry to hear the sad news about Charlie.He has been blessed to have such a long life.Pets really are one of the family

Our cat had to be put to sleep at the age of 21 yrs.

((((Thinking of you)))))))))

Britchickx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 05:36:40 pm »
Oh sweety I'm sorry :'(

Losing a pet is never ever easy. Ever. and having to put one down is even worse. I feel for you. But you are showing Charlie the greatest love by recognizing his pain and helping him make the transition.

and always remember, Charlie will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge

Hugs
-Will
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:39:43 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 11:38:15 pm »
Thank you all.  Tonight Charlie slept on my lap for a couple of hours - he really does seem to be "winding down" faster now.  He still came and woke me up this morning for breakfast, but didn't eat that much.

I have to go to work tomorrow to lead a half-day session, but I am coming home right after to spend a couple of hours with him -- I'll let him lay on my lap and I'll just pet him and love him a little while longer.  It is going to be a tough afternoon!!

I know I'm doing the right thing, but there isn't a fucking thing easy about it.

Again -- thank you for all your kind words and thoughts.

Mike

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »
=( So sorry to read all of this Mike.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 08:44:19 am »
Very sorry to hear about this. What a great time you have had together. You're being as good a friend to him as he has been to you. Will be thinking of you later today.

Hugs. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:47:17 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »
my sincere sympathy .. a loved pet is  so  entrenched in our lives  ...been through this a few time......remember the good  times......

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:08 pm »
Very sorry about your loss Mike.  Please accept my sincere condolences.

J

Offline bocker3

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »
It's been a very hard day, but he was a brave little guy.  They took his paw print in a heart shaped memorial for us -- with CHARLIE spelled across the top.  it will take a day to harden, but I don't think I can look at it soon anyway.

R.I.P. Charles T. Cat, you will be missed.

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:28:24 pm »
It's been a very hard day, but he was a brave little guy.  They took his paw print in a heart shaped memorial for us -- with CHARLIE spelled across the top.  it will take a day to harden, but I don't think I can look at it soon anyway.

M

Guys , I wish I was there to give you each a big Hug ... I really do .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 07:02:46 pm »
Dear Mike & Sid,

My deepest condolences on the loss of Charlie.  In his honour, I offer the following:

A Cat’s Prayer

Although I am too proud to beg,
and may appear to be a very independent creature,
I ask for your loving care and attention.
I rely on you for my well-being much more than you may realize.
This I promise you, my benefactor, that I will not be a burden on you.
Nor will I demand more of you than you care to give.
I will be a quiet peaceful island of serenity for you to gaze upon;
a soft soothing body to caress,
and I shall purr with pleasure to rest your weary ears.
Since I am a gourmet who appreciates different taste sensations,
I pray you will give me a variety of nutritious foods and fresh water daily.
You know dear friend, how I love to go.
Allow me, I pray, a warm sheltered place
where I can rest peacefully and feel secure.
If I am wounded in battle or suffering from disease,
please tend me gently, and see that I am treated
by loving and competent hands.
Please protect me from the inhuman humans
who would hurt and torture me for their own amusement.
I am accustomed to your gentle touch and am not always suspicious
nor swift enough to avoid such malicious acts.
In my later years when my senses fail me
and my infirmities become too great to bear,
allow me the comfort and dignity that I desire for my closing days
and help me gently in my pain or passing.
Hear this prayer, my dear friend, my fate depends on you.

*author unknown

Joe

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »
That's nice ^

M

Heart wrenching. You had me in tears earlier during our texting  :(. My Condolences.
-W
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:35:05 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Basquo

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 08:30:06 pm »
So sorry to hear about this, Mike. It's never easy, but the hardest part is over. It just comes back from time to time, but it gets easier. I heard, and sometimes saw out of the corner of my eye, both my cats for a few weeks after they passed.

Hugs,
Creighton

Offline bocker3

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:53:44 pm »
Thanks again all.  Your words help.  Joe -- that was beautiful!!

Here is a picture of my precious Charlie.......

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:56 pm »
sorry, no words.
just tears.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Elleon35

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:05 pm »
My dog's name is Joshua and He's a Sheppard & Rottweiler mix and a month ago my building was sold and the new owners gave me an ultimatum which was keep my apartment and get rid of my dog of 6yrs or move.  Getting rid of my dog was never an option so I moved into a new building surrounded by pet owners and who would have taught Joshua would have found a girlfriend but he and I had a long talk nose to snout and I told him No puppies he looked at me rolled his eyes and walked away.  One of the things I love about my dog is stubbornness and He's sneaky but when having a bad day will lay his head on my lap. As he goes up in age my biggest fear is death because everyone knows pets don't live forever.  As a pet owner I've already lost two rabbit's Babb's & bugs and since their passing I refused to adopt another bunny.  My friends ask if anything were to happen to Joshua if I could open up my heart to another dog and I can honestly say I doubt it but with millions of dogs living in shelters in search of love I might consider it but in the mean time I will continue to spoil him. I wish I could get him to walk properly on a leash because he is a determined puller.  I should also add that I have two sets of gerbils & fishes and I'm planning to adopt 3 guinea pigs and 2 birds and may get Joshua a buddy for Christmas.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 04:03:48 pm »
What a gorgeous cat.  Just reading your posts, Mike, made me tear up.  I am so, so sorry about your pain and can definitely tell Charlie was well loved and well cared for.  I will definitely give my kitty an extra hug.  :'(
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.