Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:51:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 319
Total: 319

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested positive Nov. 4th and now got shingles  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Lobster1

Tested positive Nov. 4th and now got shingles
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:49:07 pm »
I think i now have shingles.  got red rash on right side of body, and almost feels like pulled muscle.  along with burning and stinging on skin.  going to docter tomorrow to get looked at.  Doc said it sounded like shingles, so got 1030 appt.  Also anyone else ever have this?  How do you reply to personal emails to . new to this , and thanks for support.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Tested positive Nov. 4th and now got shingles
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:55:11 am »
I've never had shingles (knock on wood), but your symptoms sound like shingles.  I know the docs at thebody.com aren't too concerned with shingles.  They say getting shingles isn't an indication of how your immune system is doing.  They say HIVers are just slightly at more risk of getting shingles--however it seems like I've heard several people say they have/had it.

I hope things go well at the doc.  I believe I read that once you get shingles, it is rare to get it again.  About personal messages on here, when you sign on, it tells ya in the upper left corner how many messages ya have.  After reading, you just click reply to respond. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:57:55 am »
Hi Lobster, welcome to the forums.

Ted's right when he says that shingles aren't necessarily reflective of the state of your immune system. I had shingles once and my CD4s were fine.

One thing that is notorious for bringing on shingles is stress. It's quite likely the stress of your new diagnosis is what brought yours on.

The doctor should give you acyclovir in one of it's various forms. Although it's better started straight away during onset, taking it after the rash is already established will still help it clear up sooner. Please read the lesson on shingles.

Hang in there!

Ann

PS - now that you have posted in the forum three times, you will be able to access your Private Messages. Look for the link under your username in the left-hand column of any forum page.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Langie

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »
Hai Lobster!
As Ann said about shingles.
When i had just got diagnosed (2005), i got really depressed an di wasnt eating.
Saying that my CD4 was 865 and viral load 7600.
I got shingles at the back of my left thigh and my doc gave me acyclovor which helped within a few days.
But as times goes on you learn how to live with the disease and look ur health well even during stressful situations so that you control any opportumistic infections.

On 05/01/2010...my bloods were Cd4: 597, viral load: 3210.
At Lobster, am sharing this with you so that you understand that with medical help and looking after your self, you can push a bit longer than expected.

Offline Langie

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:23:17 pm »
Sorry Lobster, i forgot to mention the downsides of the disease.
In jan 2009, my skin started getting itcy leaving red rashes that would stay as long as two days.
My doc, then put m eon dermal and acqeous cream for both washing and lotion use.
But the problem was proving hard to treat so in june my doc suggested i start medication.
My numbers were Cd4:421, viral load:3370. Though, i wasnt keen on medication i decided to try it.
i got on Atripla an dafter 11 days i got a bad reaction so it was stopped.
Then i wanted a break coz i had exams in sept and dec and was ready to resume medication in jan
But when i did the bloods on 5/01/10, the numbers seemed good so that mean si can still push on.
Sorry, for this boring story but to give you an insight that living with Hiv is like walking i the valley (ups an ddowns) but self control is the key in the management.
If you can build it, then you will live till the cure is here

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »
They say getting shingles isn't an indication of how your immune system is doing.  They say HIVers are just slightly at more risk of getting shingles--however it seems like I've heard several people say they have/had it....I believe I read that once you get shingles, it is rare to get it again.
good information about shingles can be found here at wiki  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster

shingles is NOT an HIV-related illness but an illness anyone can get as it's caused by the virus that causes chickenpox in children. Stress is a huge factor in having an outbreak in conjunction with age and/or comprised immune systems (ie HIV). You can have multiple outbreaks, though that doesn't happen very often, and could be put on acyclovir as a prophylaxis (ie a daily dose to prevent another outbreak) if needed.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Lobster. Though the acyclovir should help shorten the length of the outbreak, if may not do much for the pain or itching as there's really no med to treat shingles per se. Try not to scratch the lesions no matter how much they itch. ;) If the pain gets too bad you'll need to talk to your doc about some type of pain med.

Incidence is highest in people who are over age 55, as well as in immunocompromised patients regardless of age group, and in individuals undergoing psychological stress.
I know it'll be hard not to stress about your recent HIV diagnosis and then having this outbreak of shingles; but try not to freak out too badly. If you ask around you'll probably be surprised at how many people you know, over 55 or so, who have had bouts of shingles. It's not all that uncommon, it's just not talked about so much.

mikie
(who had chickenpox as a child; shingles before having HIV, and twice afterwards; along with a reoccurring outbreak in his left hand that has been under control using acyclovir for 3 years - except for the 2 months while his partner wias in the hospital before dying, when going off the med and stressing out caused him to have 3 outbreaks over the next 2 months)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:07:02 pm »
Guess what?
Was at the doc today and found out I got shingles. The area ( about the size of two fingers, between my hip and my rib) has been bugging me for about 2 weeks but became visible a week ago.  I called the doc a few days ago, I waited to get to the doc because I had an appt anyhow. He did say shingles should be treated as soon as possible, but it's not really too late for me -- he put me on vlatrex.  He said it might take a while to see them go away, but I think Im seeing improvement already, 2 pills into it.  Stress?  Oh yeah, the new status, other health issues, relationship, and I started exercising to feel better (maybe that was physical stress as well).
Lobster, I hope youre doing better, your symptoms sounded a lot like mine.
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.