Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:34:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 452
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla-Drunk-anger-sleep?  (Read 11617 times)

Offline mccowboy

Atripla-Drunk-anger-sleep?
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:29:14 pm »
Hello,  new here.  I started Atripla Sunday night 12/31/06.  I took it at 10:00pm and went to bed.  I had some very off the wall dreams when I could sleep which was not much.  Today day 2, I again had very strange dreams, and now its about 3:00 in the afternoon  and I feel like my body is crashing.  I feel drunk, and unable to focus my thoughts.  I am also having a hard time remembering conversations with people, while having the conversations.  I am a corporate accountant and this might not be a good thing.  Will these effect pass quickly?  What else do I have to look forward to on this pill?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: Atripla-Drunk-anger-sleep?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:42:51 pm »
The worst bit is what you're going through now (the beginning)... it's your body adjusting to the meds.  Sustiva (one of the drugs in Atripla) gets into the CNS, and that's what makes all the craziness go on up there.

Don't worry, the symptoms settle down in a while... usually a couple of weeks.  It was about 8 or 9 days of misery for me, and then all of a sudden, over the course of a day, they just stopped... and now it's all back to normal.   

Coffee really, really helped me during the day to keep my thoughts together... you might wanna try it. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline mccowboy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:32:15 pm »
Thanks.  I apreciate the help.  The worst I guess is feeling drunk, and angry.  Hopefully that will pass fast.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:04:37 pm »
It will pass.  I can almost promise you that.

I got really angry and depressed too... mostly because of the drunky feelings that wouldn't go away... once they went away, I felt great.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline mccowboy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:01:19 am »
ok, now a new issue with it.  the Rash.  for the last two days my entire body felt like it was on fire.  I woke up this morning and I have this nasty little rash all over my arms, legs, back and butt.  (thank god I am single).  is this an allergic reaction, or will this too pass?

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:09:10 pm »
You should report this to your physician immediately.  If this is an allergic reaction to your
medication, it could be serious, even possibly life-threatening.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 02:04:02 pm »
This is the normal rash we all get, it could last up to two weeks, if it makes you feel better see a doc, otherwise take benedryl, pills, and cream or lotion, calamyne lotion, aveeno bath, in time it will go away, nothing to be scared of.

Offline mccowboy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 03:04:46 pm »
well either its life threatning or nothing to worry about?   hmmmmm.  It does not itch.  however, my entire back is now red.  I have blured vision, like a film is covering my eyes, and my neck hurts.   I have a DR appt on the 9th. so should I call now, or wait till then.   By the way.  the coffee does help the drunk feeling, and  I am getting used to the vivid dreams. 

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 03:32:08 pm »
My experience has been no rash after 6 weeks or so, but my doctor did say it does occur and that if it did it probably wouldn't itch.  I have seen posts in different threads here that are all over the map as far as side effects and when they occur and how long they last and how bad they are.

That being the case, if it were me, I'd call my doctor and report in.  Even if my doctor told me to wait awhile and see if the rash goes away, at least it would ease my anxiety if nothing else.  And you and your doctor are the only ones who have the complete picture of your health, meds etc.

Hope it is resolved soon and glad at least it doesn't itch, cuz that would be a pain in the butt, and everywhere else I guess!! :)  Let us know how you're doing too, okay?

Kevin

And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline mccowboy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 03:52:16 pm »
well, just called the doc.  They said that it is an allergic reaction, and to stop immediatly.  My issue with that is the cost of this crap.  I have over 2000.00 in medicine in my cabinet that I can not take.  What to do now.
I am breathing fine, and really dont know what to do at this point.   Do I continue taking this and try and work through the issues, or stop this and start something over yet again.  I have been on so many different regimins since I was diagnosed  1992 that its getting on my nerves.  litterally.
Why do some people say that the rash will go away if this is an allergic reaction? 
My skin is turning red, and its like little red pin spots.
Is this normal, or should I just stop all the meds    again...............

Offline mccowboy

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 11:15:19 am »
Update- The rash is not bad.  I took benadryl, and it helped alot.  My DR said just make sure that I can breath ok.    Today is better, still have the rash of course, but not itching as bad.  I do have blurred vision a little, and my right hand and forefinger keeps going to sleep.  I guess this will pass to.   Thanks everyone for the input. It is helping me from going crazy.   

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 10:22:10 pm »
Its really heartbreaking to hear about your difficulties with Atripla.  I've been taking it for 3 months now without any side effects, even in the first days, and have only had the disappointment of not experiencing vivid dreams.  I truly hope your doctor will see you through this.

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 10:39:05 am »
cowboy, you still taking it? i hope so, hows it going? the rash gone? hang in there.......how'd the dr. visit go?

Offline TampaLatinGuy

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 05:00:04 pm »
I have been in Atripla for since December 28th 2006.  Never been on meds since I got infected in June 2006.  The first two days of taking this med.  I had the drunken feeling.  But it went away.  Never had the vivid dreams.  Too bad, I wanted to experience them.  lol   But this past Sunday I started feeling very tired and by Monday I had lower back pain, knees and leg muscle pains as well as pain in my arms specially around my elbows.  It felt like I was having fever.  Called the doctor and he told me to stop taking Atripla immediately.  Have an appointment with him this Friday.  Now I'm having the rash all over my neck, chest, belly, arms and back.  It's scary.  It does not itch which makes it weird.  Hope these side effects will go soon.

Offline koi1

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 08:11:53 pm »
I have been on sustiva and truvada for 5 days and have not experienced any bad side effects. The difficulty concentrating comes and goes, but nothing like you are experiencing. I heard that it takes about 2 weeks for side effects to subside. I take ativan to sleep with these meds and it really works.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline TampaLatinGuy

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:10:13 pm »
Ok, I have gotten worst as day's pass after the doctor told me to stop taking atripla.  Since the muscle and body aces, now I have fever that jumped yesterday to 105.5.  My entire body is swollen.  I look like a monster.  I spend the entire day yesterday at the doctors.  Almost got hospitalized.  What I'm experiencing is a severe reaction to an ingredient in the Atripla medication.  This ingredient is Zigen.  The doctor said that I f I had keep taking this med I could have died.  I can no longer take atripla or any other medication that contains Zigen.  So if you are experiencing a rash, you get swollen, have body aces, and have fever, you should see your doctor immediately, or this could be a serious complication.  I'm telling you.  I have never felt like this in my life. 

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:25:58 pm »
TLG -

Very sorry to hear you are feeling so bad and thanks for passing on that info.  From all I had read I didn't know that Atripla contained Ziagen (aka Abacavir)

For anyone interested here is the info on it from Aidsmeds: http://www.aidsmeds.com/drugs/Ziagen.htm

Good luck Tampa - hope you are better soon.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 02:23:20 pm »
Atripla does not contain abacavir (Ziagen). It contains: efavirenz (Sustiva) + emtricitabine (FTC, Emtriva) + tenofovir (Viread).

Atripla

If people have an allergic reaction on Atripla, it's most likey down to the Sustiva. This often causes a rash, and sometimes, yes, this can become serious, cause blisters, raise a fever, affect breathing etc, just like its sister drug Viramune (nevirapine) does.  This is rare, but it does happen (as it does with medicines of all sorts for all kinds of conditions).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline TampaLatinGuy

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 03:05:18 pm »
Hey guy's, it's me again.  Just got out of the Hospital.  Was there since Thursday.  Still battling the allergy with steroids. Feeling a lot better now.  Will keep you posted of any new developments.

All my best

Offline koi1

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 08:40:23 am »
Hey,

Glad you are doing better.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Falkore

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 08:59:55 pm »
I feel so lucky after reading all these posts.  I have been on Atripla since July of 2006 and had a very MINOR reaction to the meds.  The first day I took it I didn't go straight to bed.  My (now ex-) boyfriend and I went out to the Wal-Mart for about an hour.  When we got back home I started to feel the dizziness.  I fell into the bed and closed my eyes and saw strange shapes dancing in front of my eyes.  It was almost like a trip... but since I have never done drugs I had nothing to compare it to.  Since then, no dreams, no rash, no problems.  I do still get dizzy about an hour or two after I take it, but usually I take it right before bed so it's no big deal. 

I do get random issues like constipation and problems concentrating, but it could just be due to unrelated issues.  Who knows. 

Good luck to all!

Falkore
"Ain't no shame in my flame"
Date:          CD4:     VL:
10/02/05     568       2,070
11/18/05     541       2,970
02/17/06     442       4,720
04/17/06     510       1,100
07/12/06     391       3,050
Start Atripla
09/22/06     595       Undet.
01/18/07     562       Undet.
05/25/07     540       Undet.
09/26/07     531       Undet.

Offline zenworks

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 10:24:05 pm »

I began taking Atripla 12/20/06 and thus far (3 months) into it have been pretty OK with it.   I can't say that I've had the acid-trip dreams that some people report...but I can say that my dreams have been stronger....much stronger than in the past.  I actually like the dreams...it's like watching TV for me.  So much so that the reason I don't want to get up in the morning is because the dream I was having was so vivid and wanted to complete it!

I have noticed that if I stay up after taking my Atripla, about 1.5 hours in, I will get a little excited and 'high' and that goes away after awhile. 

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 11:05:56 pm »
Hello,
TampaLatinGuy, I'm glad that you're out of the hospital and doing better.  I am curious, though, you didn't mention later which drug in Atripla made you react.  I know you said it was Ziagen, and someone else pointed out that it doesn't contain Ziagen.  I had never heard of Atripla before myself and looked it up, and saw that it contains: Sustiva, Emtriva, and Viread.  Do you know now which one it was?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.