Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:25:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 456
Total: 457

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mama Cass - 2 great clips  (Read 4488 times)

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
Re: Mama Cass - 2 great clips
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:12:27 am »
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !!!!!

I was thinking of Mama just a few hours ago. She was the featured recording artist on a gay coming of age film a few years ago out of Britain ( anyone know the name of the movie, beautiful movie)

She brought so much joy to so many millions of people. Her gorgeous voice and wonderful spirit live on. To see her just now with a dangling, larger than life Peace sign as a stage set, wearing a crushed velvet tie dyed out fit, stirred memories from my childhood.

I'm thankful that you found this and have shared it with our Forums family today. Though she passed away many years ago, she lives on, in song, film and Youtube. It's a reminder that sometimes, tragically, the good do die young.

I've now got it on my desk top.

Wishing you the very best
Paul in Australia

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 04:53:48 am »
paul - the film, was called Beautiful Thing.

I got (another) greatest hits cd the other day - bargain basement price, and it is fab  :)

thanks, ademas.

kate

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:39:18 pm »
I love Mama Cass.   She was a great singer.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 01:55:02 pm »
Awesome!!

You should see the one where she is singing with Julie Andrews!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vnhTPllrJ4&mode=related&search=
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 04:44:58 pm »
love mama.  just wish the deam of me clip would have played longer....love it when she hums the song.  great voice, mama.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:31:56 pm »
Loved her too! 

Thanks Ademas and Jeromy for the links, what a treat!

RAB

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:11:56 pm »
Several years ago I went with a friend to the Village Theater to see a tribute to the Mamas and the Papas...It was so wonderful I went back with other friends a second time...Denny Doherty was the only member who was in the show and he narrated a sort of history of the band, with the other members, John (deceased) and Michelle Phillips and of course Mama Cass Elliot (she was born Ellen Naomi Cohen in 1941) being played by others.  They sang all the greatest hits of the group and Denny narrated the entire experience of the group from it's first days in New York to the later years in California for the most appreciative crowd in this small but cozy New York landmark.

Afterwards Denny signed our playbills and we bought CD's of the group...The lady who played Mama was wonderful and most gracious and spoke to us at length afterwards...I have seen many fine shows in my life- The Who with Keith Moon, The Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead concerts, including one of the greatest ever at New York's Beacon Theater,  Bob Dylan and the Band at the Garden, Bruce Springsteen in Los Angeles, The Jefferson Starship at Radio City Music Hall, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Roger McGuinn at the Bottom Line and many others but this little show was near the very top of the list.  I particularly remember the wonderful rendition of "Dream a Little Dream"......

Stars shining bright above you;
Night breezes seem to whisper I love you?
Birds singing in the sycamore tree.
Dream a little dream of me.

Say nighty-night and kiss me;
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me.
While I'm alone, blue as can be,

Stars fading but I linger on, dear---
Still craving your kiss.
I'm longing to linger till dawn, dear,
Just saying this...

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you---
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you.
But in your dreams, whatever they be,

Stars fading but I linger on, dear---
Still craving your kiss.
I'm longing to linger till dawn, dear,
Just saying this...

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you---
Sweet dreams that leave all worries far behind you.
But in your dreams, whatever they be,

:)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »
I had forgotten how beautiful her voice is also.  It's a great duet with Julie singing Paul Simon's stuff.  Leaving out all the friggin' sexual agnst (hard-ons in the gym and getting teased mercifully about it) , on the whole I had a pretty good teenage life. Life in the 60's wasn't half bad. Great music.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 08:43:30 pm by Robert »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:54:11 pm »
If I'm not already going to Hell, I will be after tomorrrow...I'm going to be Mama Cass for Hallowe'en, complete with ham sandwiches to give to the costume contest judges.

Pictures to come. Perhaps it will clear that image of me as Ron Jeremy from JeffinNY's mind.

Offline Jody

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:19:19 pm »
One of the things Denny mentioned during the show, with both a tinge of anger and a great deal of sadness was the cruel manipulation, make that the outright lie, just for cheap sensationalist tabloid sales in the press that led to the ugly, derisive portrayal of a woman who died choking on a ham sandwich...Denny indicated this was false and like so many other rumors and misconceptions it later spreads and plays out as fact...Suffice it to say Mama Cass died young, way too young, and deseved better from the media than such an awful account.

It happens to many celebrities I suppose, much like Marilyn Monroe was said to be "found in the nude"...Oh heavens, the lady was naked!!! Like God forbid women should be naked or pregnant or whatever, women seem to suffer some real cruelties at the hands of society and can't even die in dignity.  Maybe some of that comes from the major religions portrayal of women, but that is another story altogether.

That isn't to say Creighton that you should change your costume, go ahead and do the ham sandwich bit, just put in a kind word if you will for a really fun and incredibly talented person from my childhood days.

Jody  :-[
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 11:29:30 pm »
oh man i adore the music of  the Mamas and the Papas - when their 4 voices came together it was MESMERIZING AND PERFECT, as in "give you chills" mesmerizing

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 10:22:11 am »
those clips of her with Julie Andrews are amazing.   What two incredible talents!   Now why don't we have anything on TV nowadays like this?   I sound like an old man don't I?

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline ademas

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 11:20:43 am »
those clips of her with Julie Andrews are amazing.   What two incredible talents! 

Ditto!

I was a huge fan of Mama Cass, even at age 10 or 11.  I remember playing the 45's on my record player for hours.
(Looking back, I'm amazed I ddn't get beat up frequently as a child...)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 12:06:46 pm »
The movie Beautiful Thing forced me to buy my first CD player since the soundtrack wasn't available on tape.  I played the CD so many times I had to buy another copy a few years later after the first started skipping and sticking on one note.  Mama Cass's music always makes me happy no matter how down I am.   

Make your own kind of music even if nobody else sings along.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.