Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:19:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 608
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla and dizzyness  (Read 6189 times)

Offline scotti2427

Atripla and dizzyness
« on: April 10, 2010, 06:09:49 am »
Hi everyone,

Just found this site a couple of days ago when I started on medication.  I've had HIV for about 12 years now and my CD4 just dropped to 393 so the clinic recommended I started treatment.

I've been given Atripla to take and the pharmacist went through all the side effects with me on Thursday ready for my first dose on that evening.  He did say that dizziness was one of the possible side effects but I didn't realise how bad it would be.  During the night on Thursday I woke up a couple of times with the room spinning like I'd been drinking heavily and when I got up to visit the toilet I actually fell over.  It's like trying to walk on-board the cross Channel ferry in rough seas.  This was I admit funny at first but after I'm wondering how long this is going to last.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  This is the only side effect I've had so far after 2 days apart from waking up really early then being tired for most of the day.

Worst thing is - I take the Atripla at 9pm and tonight I have to work until 2am - just hope it's not  so bad tonight.

Scott

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Atripla and dizzyness
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:02:52 am »
give it a while, it'll fade in time.

Offline BrotherDavid

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »
If all you felt was dizziness, that is a great sign that you will adjust to the medication with little side effects. In my case the dizziness went away after a week or so and are less and less each day. Like you, it was not a bad feeling but I also worried about times when I had to be out and about. believe me, it is a temporary side effect in most people.

The most important thing for me was my VL became undetectable in a very short time and my CD4s started to raise quickly. This outweighed any minor side effects by a longshot. It gets better man.

Check out the posting in "Living with HIV" where a member took a double dose of Atripla today. Although he has not had any side effects from the normal dose, he did have what you are describing when doubling it so it goes to show that this is normal when it first gets into you're system. Who knows, maybe it is so busy killing off the virus that it is making you're head spin LOL. Good Luck!

Offline scotti2427

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 05:55:23 am »
Thanks guys.

Although the dizziness is the same intensity it is getting to be for a much shorter period every day.  Last night was only for about an hour and half while I was at work which is much better and that was only my third dose.  Hopefully a couple more days and I'll be fine on them!

Fortunately I work with my best friend so I can take some time out when I need to.

Never really paid any attention to my VL when I had my bloods done, just my CD4.  Hope I see an increase soon!

Scott

Offline kev72

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:45:58 am »
Hi,

The dizziness should subside soon. I take in in the late morning due to my work schedule. For the first couple of weeks, I would feel tired about an hour after taking it, sometimes taking a nap. Now I have no side effects. I actually forgot if I had taken it or not yesterday. That shows how little it effects you over time. Just continue to take it the same time everyday and you will be fine.

Good luck

Offline jayjax

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:57:26 am »
Scottie,

Sounds like you will do fine on Atripla once the meds are in your system over time. Just remember to take your med every day as close to the same time. Try not to get too discouraged if your CD4 jumps as this may take time.  You want to get your VL to undetectable levels and keep it there -- then your CD4 will start to imporve (with some its slow and others it can be fast).

Keep in touch.

Jayjax
08 Oct 08:  Diagnosed
18 Oct 08:  1st Lab Work: CD4 - 268, VL 7,000
18 Nov 08:  Started Atripla
28 Jan 09:   CD4 - 195, VL 70
05 May 09:  CD4 - 201, VL = Undetectable
16 Aug 09: CD4 - 235, VL = Undetectable
30 Nov 09 CD4 - 300, VL = Undetectable
30 Mar 10 CD4 - 305, VL = Undetectable
27 Jul 10 CD4 -  301, VL = 100
13 Aug 10 -- Switched to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
30 Sep 10 --  CD4 598, VL = Undetectable

Offline scotti2427

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
Well, it's now been just over 3 weeks on Atripla and the dizziness has finally subsided!  Food or no food - I just get a little hot about 2 hours after taking the Atripla which is absolutely fine with me.

The only side effects left now are the dreams (which I really don't mind at all - although I'm still waiting for one of those sexy ones people on here were talking about) and the waking at ridiculous o'clock in the morning and feeling wide awake ready to face the world.  Afternoon naps seem to be the way forward!

Going back in about a week for my first bloods post treatment which I'm sure are going to be great after having my health improve already (after 3 years of almost constant eye infections, eczema and about 12 years of loo problems - all of which have cleared up).

Just hope there's no resistance to the Atripla and I can continue with it for a long time!

Scott

Offline peteb

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:53:25 pm »
Hi Scott I too had the same effects I have been on for 2 months now all I have is rash  :'(
Pete

Offline scotti2427

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:42 pm »
Side effects are now back with a vengence.  No sleep, dizzy as fu@k and feel like I've had dumb pills.

Sounds stupid but I have problems remembering simple words sometimes and trying to think through a simple maths problem (was in Sainsbury's trying to work out if the bulk pack of Actimel was a good offer and couldn't even figure out how to begin!) - not good for a computing / maths / physics student.

Going to see if I can switch out the sustiva for either isentress or intelence when I go on Thursday.

Enough already!

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:24:25 pm »
I woke up a couple of times with the room spinning like I'd been drinking heavily...

Worst thing is - I take the Atripla at 9pm and tonight I have to work until 2am - just hope it's not  so bad tonight.

The only side effect that I experienced when I started was that dizziness...it went away in about a week, though.  Since December, I've actually taken the pill at 10p and stayed up working until 4a without the dizziness hitting me.

Hopefully, your doctor advised you to take Atripla on an empty stomach or (at least) to avoid fat intake prior to taking your pill. Apparently, fat in your system will enhance how the medication is metabolized/absorbed. Also, my pharamacist advised me that I have a 4 to 5 hr window on dosing each night. I typically take it anywhere from 9pm to 1am depending on when I'm going to bed...it knocks me out. I did have some sleep issues, but they seemed to go away when I started taking a melatonin before bed (something I normally did pre-HIV when stress was affecting my sleep patterns anyway).

That being said, I'm trying to figure out if I have been experiencing "brain fog" from Atripla because some days I feel like I can't concentrate like I used to be able to. When I spoke to my mother (a nurse) about it, she said that my symptoms could also be related to mild depression. Since that conversation, I feel a bit better...go figure  ;)

Going from a VL of 300k to undetectable in about 45 days does a body good!

Z
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:27:18 pm by ElZorro »

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:29:25 am »

Hey Scotti,

Did your doc or pharmacist advise you to take your meds at least 2 - 3 hours after eating.  This includes milk, tea, coffer or anything.  This should minimise the side effects during the 'induction' (starting) period.

If you are not already, eat a low fat diet all the time, not just in the evening - this can make a big difference.

...... and remember, the drugs have to fit around you - and not the other way round, so if it's not working you are well within your rights to ask to change your combination.

Hope you feel better soon.

tb
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline scotti2427

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:19:55 am »
Tried them both with and without food (some people recommend a low fat snack with them) and still have the same effects.

Really hope I can switch the sustive for Raltegravir or Etravirine - not sure if they are available to me in the UK.

Scott

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 12:09:11 pm »
Funny how people get different side effects and magnitudes of side effects from the same drugs.  I was dizzy for a while, but it went away and now I only get the heated feeling.

Offline scotti2427

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:35:42 am »
Doc has agreed to switch me to Truvada and Isentress!  Now I can finally get some sleep and get my brain functioning properly again!
 :) :) :) :)

Offline Billy B

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 12:06:40 pm »
Doc has agreed to switch me to Truvada and Isentress!  Now I can finally get some sleep and get my brain functioning properly again!
 :) :) :) :)

Scotti- You should be happy with this combo. I sleep so well since switching from Atripla and my brain fog is gone. I also could not handle the hot flashes that occurred every evening.
Peace,
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.