Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:45:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV, go gently into that good night, and soon, history...  (Read 5392 times)

Offline wonderful1

HIV, go gently into that good night, and soon, history...
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:41 pm »
As the Dylan Thomas poem posted below speaks to the passing of men so to HIV surely goes fighting into the good night and history.  Though some HIV positive folks who's identities are understandably inextricably connected to the virus may not be happy about it. Whether it is conscious or subconscious. It hurt's to say it or think it but it is true. This poem is dedicated to you.

We are at this moment in time experiencing the "cure". Now, as we bicker and argue and speak of when and how it will come about, the virus is naturally moving along into obscurity. HIV is weakening as it is more and more suppressed. Now by more than three, one a day regimes that are available at market. That will turn into an injection every three months. Then a vaccine every year and so on and so forth until ten, twenty, fifty years from now a young man or woman will show exposure to it and it will be no more than a blip. Like the flu, syphilis, VD and every other virus and std we have encountered through the ages.

The cure is happening now.  It won't come as some big announcement or some holy grail. The impact of the virus will just simply fade out slowly and subtly as it naturally should and naturally is.

HIV will always be around. It will exist in some recess of a cell. In some DNA molecule. In some medical books and, in the memories of those still around to remember, but even that to shall pass into the good night.

No PSA or AD campaign will ever prevent two people from the longing of desire. From the connection that only real intimacy can give us. What we need to be human and to be whole. In some cases to procreate and in others to know love the way we were intended to know it. We deserve it with or without consequence. It is, finally, who we are.

So, au revoir, adieu and bonsoir, HIV. Please, go gently into that good night. You will not be missed. Certainly not missed by me.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
        Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
        Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
        Because their words had forked no lightning they
        Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
        Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
        And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
        Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
        Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:07:56 pm by wonderful1 »

Offline Dachshund

Re: HIV, go gently into that good night and soon, history...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »
There once was a man from Nantucket
Whose cock was so long he could suck it
He said with a grin
Wiping sperm from his chin
If my ear was my butt I could Fuck it!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:19:38 pm »
We are in the age of a cure?? Really? Almost 1000 people died from HIV in New York City alone last year.  That sounds like a cure to me. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:21:42 pm »
Jonas Salk's Polio vaccine...Now that was a cure.  Thousands of people still dying each year or becoming disabled is not the kind of cure we want. thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »
Jonas Salk's Polio vaccine...Now that was a cure.  Thousands of people still dying each year or becoming disabled is not the kind of cure we want. thanks.

A vaccine is not a cure.

MtD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »
Really, your going to argue semantics when a vaccine can produce complete eradication of a disease. 

Kinda misses the point of the post doesn't it.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:12 pm »
Really, your going to argue semantics when a vaccine can produce complete eradication of a disease. 

Kinda misses the point of the post doesn't it.

Well they're two different things. Precision cannot hurt.

MtD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:58:45 pm »
A vaccine is not a cure.  You're right.

Neither is what we are experiencing in HIV treatment today, as the original post of this thread suggests.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: HIV, go gently into that good night, and soon, history...
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:15:59 pm »
Wonderful, what a load of baloney.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:28:40 pm »
A vaccine is not a cure.  You're right.

Neither is what we are experiencing in HIV treatment today, as the original post of this thread suggests.

In the interests of precision, I should have said "a prophylatic vaccine is not a cure". I overlooked the prospects of a therapeutic vaccine.

MtD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:33 pm »
Wonderful, where in the world did you get this from? Is this a fantasy you have dreamed up?

Whatever the source, it is pure poppycock.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
Wonderful, where in the world did you get this from? Is this a fantasy you have dreamed up?

Whatever the source, it is pure poppycock.

He can't answer you Comrade Mark. He's been Banninated.

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:40 pm »
gently into the good night he went !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:44 pm »
Oh, guess I must have missed that.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:59:11 pm »
Oh, guess I must have missed that.

You must have. Sorry 'bout that - this thread may have been the more appropriate place for the announcement.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.