Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:52:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 157
Total: 157

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Tivicay Tonight  (Read 7053 times)

Offline NycJoe

Starting Tivicay Tonight
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:25:05 pm »
I have been on Atripla since 2004/2005.  My doc in Sept gave me a script for Tivicay and I am finally running out of Atripla.  The reason I waited this long is because I had a good supply of Atripla saved up and with my f'ing "specialty" pharmacy they would only give me 30 days supply not the 90 I use to get from the regular mail order.  So I was able to build up some Tivicay supply.  I am going to be taking it with Truvada.  I don't know why but I am scared to death to try a new med even though I wanted to.  I dread side effects.  But..it must be done so tonight is the night.  Any tips from Tivicay users? 

Thanks.

Joe

Offline buginme2

Re: Starting Tivicay Tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »
There are plenty of Tivicay users but don't be freaked out.  I was on Atripla too and when I changed off it I felt soooooo much better.  I doubt you are going to regret it.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Dan0

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:54:54 am »
  I was on Atripla too and when I changed off it I felt soooooo much better.  I doubt you are going to regret it.

The same sentiments! 
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Dan0

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:00:59 am »
I was apprehensive about a switch, too.  It (Atripla) was my first med and I was on it from 10/2006. The end of September I switched to Stribild.

Honestly, there are some effects of Atripla that you may not even be aware of after long-term use.  Perhaps not - perhaps its just a wonderful pill with no side-effects and it does what its supposed to - for you

My experience was a bit different.  The effects of it were so gradual that after seven years I had no idea just how lousy I was feeling. I attributed it to any number of things.  I'm in a bad mood - it must be the weather.  I get dizzy - it must be too much coffee.  My ears are ringing - it must be something else going on. People just thought I was a card-carrying bitch half the time. When I switched, all this was gone in the matter of about a week. 

Now, was it the Atripla? If you've read through the forums you see that most of the evidence, studies, reports and war-stories point to it having some culpability in this.  Others may say that its not and its a wonder-drug.  Still others....well....I have a hard time understanding just what they're claiming about meds, studies, herbs, moon cycles and whatever else.  All I know is me and how I'm doing.  My body and I have been very well acquainted for the past few decades and FOR ME it was a great switch and I would not go back unless I absolutely had no other option. How am I doing?  I'm doing FINE!

Best of luck - I would be interested to know how you feel in a week  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:04:56 am by Dan0 »
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Cluffmasta

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »
Hey NycJoe! I have been on Tivicay since the end of August and have loved it! I like you was very anxious and nervous to change medication since I had taken Truvada and Isentress for 4 1/2 years prior. I currently take the Tivicay with Truvada right before bed, typically around 10 or 11PM. For me that has worked the best and have noticed almost no side effects at all :) I hope that you tolerate the new med switch and everything goes well for you!!

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info and your input.  So far so good I felt no side effects last night or today.  The only question I have is that it states in medical interactions to not take any cation containing antacids.  So what kind of antacids are those?  LOL i consider myself pretty smart when it comes to medical jargon but when googling there is no simple answer I can find.  Does that include Tums or Nexium which I take?  Again very happy SO FAR with the Tivicay.

Joe

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:52:23 pm »
I also wanted to throw out there that I have an entire bottle of Isentress that I don't know what do to with.  If anyone wants to pm me to give me a suggestion (wink wink) of what to do with it...let me know.

Offline bbdoggie

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:49:21 pm »
Hey NycJoe,
I have been on Tivicay and Truvada for two weeks and I was very worried but I have had no side effects.  I take them both at 7:30 p.m. and take an aspirin and a melatonin around 10:30 p.m.  I take a synthroid pill when I wake, all the meds have worked just fine and I sleep well.  I tested positive in late August so I will see my new numbers in February and am hopeful this is working. BB

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:37:04 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info and your input.  So far so good I felt no side effects last night or today.  The only question I have is that it states in medical interactions to not take any cation containing antacids.  So what kind of antacids are those?  LOL i consider myself pretty smart when it comes to medical jargon but when googling there is no simple answer I can find.  Does that include Tums or Nexium which I take?  Again very happy SO FAR with the Tivicay.

Joe, according to the package insert, medications containing polyvalent cations (e.g., Mg, Al, Fe, or Ca) will make Tivicay (dolutegravir) less effective. Or rather it will lower the absorption rate. That's why you should take them at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after dolutegravir. Examples listed are:
  • Cation-containing antacids or laxatives
  • Sucralfate Oral iron supplements
  • Oral calcium supplements
  • Buffered medications

I don't know how that relates to Nexium, but according to this site, it's not contraindicated. Check with your doctor, though.
http://reference.medscape.com/drug/tivicay-dolutegravir-999861#3

With the Tums, you should check the bottle and see what's in them. If it's calcium carbonate (and I believe it is) you should consider them contraindicated. From that same site:

“calcium carbonate will decrease the level or effect of dolutegravir by cation binding in GI tract. Serious - Use Alternative. Administer dolutegravir 2 hr before or 6 hr after taking medications containing polyvalent cations”

The problem with most antacids and dolutegravir is that more often than not that they're just calcium carbonate. It's the calcium what's the problem, not the anti-antacid action per se.

Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline vertigo

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »
I'm on Isentress -- not Tivicay -- so can't give you a full answer, but can say that the integrase inhibitor class is considered pretty easy to take.  That's certainly been my experience.

Interestingly, I was talking to my doc earlier this week about how often and for what reasons people are changing their meds.  He said that he gets more nervous about Atripla with each passing year, and is trying to get all his patients on that drug to switch to another.  I think you're doing the right thing.

Please let us know how you wind up liking Tivicay.  I'm thinking about eventually swapping out Isentress for it, to get down to 1x daily dosing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 07:12:20 am »

Interestingly, I was talking to my doc earlier this week about how often and for what reasons people are changing their meds.  He said that he gets more nervous about Atripla with each passing year, and is trying to get all his patients on that drug to switch to another.

Give your doctor a kiss on the cheek (erm, on his face) for me next time you see him. Far too many doctors still dismiss patients' side-effect complaints concerning the Sustiva component of Atripla and it really worries - and angers - me. It really pisses me off too when someone with a history of anxiety and/or depression gets put on Atripla. I'm glad some doctors are finally "getting" it.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline vertigo

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »
Yes Ann, given all the experience with Atripla by now, I cringe a little when new posters in the "I just tested poz" forum say that their docs have just started them on it.  Why?  Sure it will get you to UD in a hurry, but so do all the other preferred regimes.  At least in the wealthy western world, it seems like this drug should be kicked to the curb.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:22:05 pm by vertigo »

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:40 am »
Well after  3 weeks on Tivicay/Truvada I can say this has been MUCH better than Atripla.  I had headaches the first week and they have gone away.  Now when I take the medication I feel as if I am on nothing which I haven't felt like in many years.  Hopefully the numbers work out well when I get blood drawn in a few weeks.

I know some feel that taking more than one pill is a hassle, but I put all of my pills in weekly containers so it really doesn't bother me at all. 

P.S. Copay assistance rocks!

Joe

Offline rrt2009

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17:17 am »
Hi guys and gals,

This is my first post and I wanted to chime in on Tivicay. Just a quick background on me. I was a slow progressor and in denial for many years(about 7) and fell out of regular lab work and follow up. I switched providers and my last lab results were not great

Cd4 48, VL 76000 12/2013

Thankfully I was never sick and have no other health issues. I started on Bactrim and Azythromycin  for prophylaxis until my cd4 recovers as well as Atripla. I was on the antibiotics about 10 days before starting Atripla.

About day 3 of Atripla I had horrible side effects. Started out with severe headaches and grogginess in the morning to dizziness and disorientation. Then the rash set in...badly! Full body rash with fever and sores in the mouth and tongue swelling!! I was missing work and in bed all day. By day 7 my doctor pulled me off the Atripla and Bactrim (she was unsure if a sulfa allergy was causing the reaction or the Sustiva).

She switched me to Truvada and Tivicay once daily and dapsone to replace the Bactrim. I! On day two of my regimen with little to no side effects. Mild insomnia and minor head pressure is all that I have ndaced. I get my first set of labs drawn in a month and I'm hoping for good results.

I also just have to say that this forum has been a lifesaver for me. I appreciate you all sharing your stories and experiences. There is such a wealth of knowledge here thathas truly helped me and my fear, anxiety and acceptance of my diagnosis.  Thank you all for being brave and sharing your experiences. You have been my support whether you know it or not. ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.