Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:25:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ain't technology grand....?  (Read 9404 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Ain't technology grand....?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:56:55 pm »
I had a disk camera.  Got an electric Brother typewriter with built in memory and automatic margain settings as a graduation present.  I was the envy of my dorm :P.  I still have a tape player, don't have T-VO, can't program my VCR, and only got a computer when Hubby's boss politely demanded we get one - Hubby sold computers - no discount offered. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:51:53 pm »
I remember laserdiscs!  I was just telling my brother Sunday, "No, the big album-like movies that were before the VHS."
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:37:37 pm »

:) And I had a "craig" 8 track player in my car in 70's.  All electronics back then were heavy, solidly built.

I also had a 4 channel stereo receiver "quad," and a supposedley "quad turntable" LOL
Sansui made one back then in the early 70's. Bought it , while I was in Germany !

Sometimes , when I am in the thrift stores, I see electronics for sale, that I remember seeing in the 70's. some old stuff !!  :)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:05:10 pm »
I have one they missed, the smell of mimeograph paper, after you took it off the drum and started printing.  A mimeograph was a type of printing press, consisting of a large drum, that held a image that was typed on a typewriter and was the consistency of tracing paper stuck together.  After you typed whatever, you mounted the paper and then peeled back the cover, to expose the ink below.  It was like an electric version of the Gutenberg press.  The paper was pink and I suppose the smell was probably some deadly chemical, but once you smell it, you never forget it.

edited to add, boy do I feel old.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:07:00 pm by killfoile »

Offline Texan38

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:10:46 pm »
Oh geez, I have yet to own a cell phone, I still have an answering machine and my coworker has attempted several times to teach me how to text on her phone - not happening.  I remember when FOX became the fourth network and the biggest showdown on television for number one was The Cosby Show vs The Simpsons.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:33:01 pm by Texan38 »
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:11:42 pm »
  I suppose the smell was probably some deadly chemical, but once you smell it, you never forget it.

Which was later buried in the Love canal !!  ::)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »
I remember laserdiscs!  I was just telling my brother Sunday, "No, the big album-like movies that were before the VHS."

I remember the laser disk... George of the Sound Company had one on display at the Mendocino County Fair and it was the talk of Ukiah.  They had an Elton John disk and I believe 2 movies.  Not much of a catalog but George said there would be in the near future.

But, I didn't buy the laser disk player  ;D  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:31:18 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:09 pm »
the summer after I graduated high school I went to Europe armed with a disc camera...and tooked some great (if grainy) pictures! Actually took pretty good pictures at night, for an instamatic.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:29 pm »
I still have a laserdisc player and about 50 laserdiscs.

One of the gadgets that was a big deal for me was our Texas Instruments TI-99 computer. A real computer in your house!

I was thinking the other day about life before answering machines. You dialed the number and if the person wasn't home you were just out of luck. You could go days without reaching people. Kids today would freak out.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:59:58 pm »
Get with the program honey -- kids hate answering machines.  Texting has replaced this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 11:20:17 pm »
... only got a computer when Hubby's boss politely demanded we get one - Hubby sold computers - no discount offered. 

Mum

;D

I was down in the barn the other day and found my family's old dial-up phone from 40 years ago (Ph#  EA2-3419). And the cord is still attached. I just need to figure out how to put an adaptor on the end and I'm  good to go.

robt

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 11:41:43 pm »
I actually own a dial phone from the 1940's -- it was "vintage" when I bought it in the late 80's during college and it had been totally rewired.  I've actually not used it now for 15 years because the last time I had it plugged in a neighbor complained because when it rings it's really, really loud.  I even used to have it sitting on one of those 1960's "telephone chairs" that I'd found at a thrift store.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:51:45 am »
Allow me to you give you a virtual tour of my father's garage:

-One of the very first Macintosh computers (as in MacIntosh, not Mac)
-3 other macs from various years in the 80's/early 90's.
-One of the very first Camcorders. As in the one that didn't take tapes. It came complete with its own VCR in a briefcase that was connected to it with a cord. It clicked extremely loud, the zoom sounded like a remote controlled car, and if you wanted sound and 'night vision', you attached the full microphone and full flashlight that came with it.
-An old Minolta. That was actually made of steel.
-A toy train set, that actually runs on gasoline.
-A box full of other random techie crap from the 80's, including said walkie (the water resistant yellow one that had the locking clip on the tape door), and a Casio computer watch.

And he refuses to throw any of it away.

Moral of the story;

My dad's the bomb.

[.Fodão.]

Offline minismom

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 07:23:35 am »
Killfoile, I remember those!  The teacher would pass out the "purple passion" papers and every student would take a big whiff.  Most of the time they were so blurry you couldn't read them.  I also remember preparing for my senior paper and spending HOURS in the library pouring over Encyclopedias (usually 10yrs old) trying to find information.  And those danged card cataloges!

Our 1st game system was the black screen with the white "charactors": a thick line on each side of the screen with a ball bouncing between them.  When we got an Intellivision system, we thought we were hot snot.  Our 1st "computer" was a tape player hooked up to a television.  We had to put a tape in and let it run - oh the noise it made.  If you sneezed, the whole thing would crash. 

Remember the days when cartoons only played on Saturdays?  T.V ended at 2am with the playing of the National Anthem - right after Star Trek.

(done in her best Edith Bunker voice) THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 11:22:39 am »
OK, here's another blast from the past.  In 1982 I worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and we bought some of the first IBM pcs.  Get ready for this.  It was an IBM pc, that came with a 10" amber or green monitor, it had no hard drive, 64k of ram and a 5 1/4" floppy disk drive and it cost $10,000.  In 1983 they introduced the IBM PC XT which was similar to the regular PC, except it came with a 10mb hard drive, for just an extra $1,000.

Before the pc came out, you could take computer classes at university, but someone had to first key-punch your code, onto cards, which had to be kept in order and usually numbered in the hundreds and heaven help you if you dropped your code cards.

Then there were the cameras and projectors, that were revolutionized by the introduction of the Kodak Brownie camera and the first Polaroid cameras, that delivered "instant" pictures in under two minutes and had blue flash bulbs and you would see blue spots for two days after having been exposed to one.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 02:38:10 pm »
Well, after reading over all these blasts from the past, I definitely won't chime in with all the gadgets I've seen over the course of my 46 years, LOL

But the blue flash bulbs is spot on... wow, I remember running around the house whenever we had parties looking for those cubes to capture those special moments :)

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline mjmel

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 02:41:29 pm »
Allow me to you give you a virtual tour of my father's garage:

-One of the very first Macintosh computers (as in MacIntosh, not Mac)
-3 other macs from various years in the 80's/early 90's.
-One of the very first Camcorders. As in the one that didn't take tapes. It came complete with its own VCR in a briefcase that was connected to it with a cord. It clicked extremely loud, the zoom sounded like a remote controlled car, and if you wanted sound and 'night vision', you attached the full microphone and full flashlight that came with it.
-An old Minolta. That was actually made of steel.
-A toy train set, that actually runs on gasoline.
-A box full of other random techie crap from the 80's, including said walkie (the water resistant yellow one that had the locking clip on the tape door), and a Casio computer watch.

And he refuses to throw any of it away.

Moral of the story;

My dad's the bomb.

That's SWELL! What a neat toy to own.

I'm still freaking out that a friend of mine still doesn't own a cell phone! It's 2009, folks!
Poor guy. RAB needs a <<<<<BiG HuG>>>>>

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »

I remember when I was in the third grade I got one of those Coleco Electronic Quarterback games......  It's amazing how that lil red blip on the screen resembled Walter Payton...   
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:11 pm »
  I remember when I was in the third grade I got one of those Coleco Electronic Quarterback games

I saved for months to buy the Coleco Head-to-Head Hockey. I had it 2 weeks and someone stole it at school. I was very upset.

Anyone remember Merlin?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 06:36:32 pm »
I saved for months to buy the Coleco Head-to-Head Hockey. I had it 2 weeks and someone stole it at school. I was very upset.

Anyone remember Merlin?

Wow the  ole Merlin game....  I remember having one and I believe  the object of the game was to remember the sequence of blinking dots.  Am I right?
 Wish I had kept some of my old systems.....  I would stilll enjoy playing some PTO on the Super Nintendo....  That game alone helped get me through my first divorce.   
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 05:33:50 pm »
I have one of the "princess" phones from the 60's but it has a special feature not found in the phones of today... The ringer does not ring and I never have to deal with people calling me  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline minismom

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:47 am »
I remember when HBO first came out.  We had to turn the TV to channel 3, and push the red button on a box that sat on top of the consol.  There were 2 other buttons on the box, but I have no idea what they were for.  I also remember our 1st VCR.  First movie we ever taped?  "Muppets Take Manhattan" oddly enough, premiering on our equally brand new HBO (box) channel.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 01:14:56 pm »

it has a special feature not found in the phones of today... The ringer does not ring and I never have to deal with people calling me  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

So does mine: it has a "do not disturb" button which I can press and never hear the phone ring, if I so choose; plus, I make sure I always turn the ringer off the cell phone, as well :)

Past regimens

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 03:32:42 pm »
I don't really have a button, the ringer just doesn't work.  I got a cell phone on March 19 and when it rings, I know who calls because I only gave the number to 1 person.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 07:30:21 pm »

How many of you remember, having to place aluminum foil on the rabbit ear antenna, so you could receive a better picture on the TV.  :)

This is long before cable television. However I am sure someone out there is still doing this today, where cable is not available.

Ray 8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:32:25 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 08:33:59 pm »
Ray, I also remember using hangers to try to get the picture to come in on the t.v. :D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:24 pm »
Being an only child, I was the "movable" antenna, until we got an electric one that you could point wherever you needed to.  Could not come too soon for me.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:54 am »
My father was an electronics wizard.  We were the 12th family in our town to get a TV set and my dad built an antenna so tall, it had to have a red light for airplanes to see.  He amplified the signal and put in a series of boosters so our neighbors could get TV also.

As kids we knew which plugs were for which neighbors houses and we would unplug them or even our own if we didn't like the babysitter.  People on the street were giving dad money because they never had TV before and the  one day... The FCC came by with orders to shut it down because the amplified signal was not legal.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline poz1970

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:03 am »
The FCC came by with orders to shut it down because the amplified signal was not legal.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Thats mean spirited of them :-(
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 04:40:36 pm »
Thats mean spirited of them :-(

Thats the federal government.  They do not have a sense of humor that they are aware of.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »
Thats the federal government.  They do not have a sense of humor that they are aware of.   ;D 

Unless it comes to fucking someone.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 01:11:27 am »
Unless it comes to fucking someone.

He who laughs last, fucks best~ Sonomabeach

;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 11:12:57 am »
I used to love that Merlin game!

This topic is funny, I was just thinking this morning while I was waiting for the bus with my son how much things have changed.  I guess they are a good invention but I am so tired of hearing car alarms go off for nothing. 

The thing that sucks about having a cell phone is I don't know anyones number anymore except my mothers because she has had it for the last 37 years. Believe me, it is much more peaceful not to have one, if I didn't have kids I don't think I would either..

I could definately do without having to remember all the passwords, pin numbers, security questions, if some are cap sensitive or not or alpha numeric.

Don't even get me started on the automated phone systems. If you would like English press 1, blah, blah. What is the nature of your call.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 11:30:54 am »
Don't even get me started on the automated phone systems. If you would like English press 1, blah, blah. What is the nature of your call.

I WANT TO TALK TO A BLEEPING HUMAN BEING, THAT IS THE REASON FOR MY CALL... YOU MORON.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 03:14:03 pm »

I had one of those old fashioned answering machines when I lived in L.A..  When I didn't pick up the caller would hear, " You have reached Southern California Suicide Prevention Hotline:
If you prefer death by hanging, press 1 now
If you prefer death by overdose, please press 2 now
If you would like to order a pizza, please press 3 now"  

;D  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:16:00 pm by Sonomabeach »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.