Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:54:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 643
Total: 643

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Day Vanessa Redgrave Found Her Husband in Bed with Her Father  (Read 6003 times)

Offline edfu

Yikes!  Who knew all of this?  Actors  :o!  "You love him.  I love him.  What's the problem?"  Ping-Pong balls!
(Tony Richardson died of AIDS complications in 1991.) 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1384460/Revealed-The-day-Vanessa-Redgrave-husband-bed-father.html
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline carousel

Re: The Day Vanessa Redgrave Found Her Husband in Bed with Her Father
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »
I thought this was public knowledge, though I didn't know that Coward was bumming Redgrave.

Trust the Daily Mail to drag out stories from 50 years ago expecting their readers to be shocked, while adding a bit of titillation for its elderly readers with a picture of Vanessa Redgrave from the dark ages.

Edited to add, only this wretched newspaper could say about Ms Redgrave that "Her career would falter" to describe one of the world's great actresses.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:35:37 pm by carousel »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »
The thing that pisses me off about this article is the assumption that bisexuals are almost duty-bound to cheat on any partner. People who cheat are people who cheat and sexual orientation does not come into it. I'm bi and I've been quite capable of having monogamous relationships. That doesn't mean I've never cheated, but I have had monogamous relationships and no, it wasn't difficult. Sheesh.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »
Interesting how much went on back in the day when it was taboo and horribly career threatening to be homosexual in theater and in Hollywood, and may still well be for actors, not to mention working folks!  And poor Vanessa, who has shown alot of guts in her life, expressing her feelings about what she felt was Israeli mistreatment of Palestinians, an opinion she was entilted to, and taking heat for it.  And lately she has had so many family deaths and illnesses, losing her sister Lynn and tragically as well Natasha Richardson.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:39:27 pm »
Ann, I don't give much credit to the Daily Mail (or as I like to call it, the Daily Fail.) I believe it was "Yes, Prime Minister" that put it so succinctly:

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers:
The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;
The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;
The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country;
The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;
The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;
The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;
And The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.
Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?
Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Offline carousel

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42:19 pm »
Interesting how much went on back in the day when it was taboo and horribly career threatening to be homosexual in theater and in Hollywood, and may still well be for actors, not to mention working folks!  And poor Vanessa, who has shown alot of guts in her life, expressing her feelings about what she felt was Israeli mistreatment of Palestinians, an opinion she was entilted to, and taking heat for it.  And lately she has had so many family deaths and illnesses, losing her sister Lynn and tragically as well Natasha Richardson.

Jody

Hi Jody

And she lost her brother, the stage actor Corin Redgrave last year.

Offline carousel

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:50:00 pm »
I'm bi

Well, I didn't know that. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:00:24 pm »
Well, I didn't know that. 

Well you do now. :)

Back to the OP, I thought that Michael's penchant for sodomy was well known, including his fling with dear Nessie's husband.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:11:10 am »
Ann, I don't give much credit to the Daily Mail (or as I like to call it, the Daily Fail.) I believe it was "Yes, Prime Minister" that put it so succinctly:

I don't give any credit to the Daily (Hate) Mail. I loathe that paper. However, according to the bottom of the article, it was an abridged extract from The House Of Redgrave by Tim Adler, published by Aurum on May 25.

But whether it comes from the tabloid press or a published biographical work, the attitude that bisexual people cannot be faithful in any relationship is prevalent. It sucks. No wonder more people will not admit to being bi.

I have to admit that I didn't know about this aspect of Vanessa Redgrave's life, but then again, I never have paid much attention to the private lives of celebrities. I usually have enough going on in my own life to make my head spin. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:35:50 am »
Thanks for that backstory.  Glamorous and sad and from another era!

As I'm getting on in years, I realize how much of a post-Stonewall filter I have on the way I see things.  When I was young, I thought bi guys who married was a kind of quaint throwback lifestyle.  Most of the gay guys I knew in the 80's and 90's in the cities, we were just gay, and if there might be a bit of bi in there, it wasn't much of an issue or wasn't much pursued.

When I was bi in university I was sort of planning to be so throughout my 20's and I was even engaged, but then I had a few whirlwind gay romances and AIDS came along and it wasn't all that easy to have casual sexual relationships with men and women at the same time - around the mid to late 80's, the women who were comfortable screwing gays were pulling back, as there was a lot of fear and ignorance about AIDS.

Now 25 years later, I've certainly see a lot more of this, what I thought was "old school" gays who get married - in Europe.  "Arrangements".  "Denial".  "Deep secret".  All the variations.

What I'm getting to is this, I think its often a very bad deal for the wives of these men.  I mean, I have occasionally seen it working well enough, but so many times I just have seen men being chauvinist pigs, pursuing their desires and the women's suffering - oh well too bad. 

I guess its no different than hetero men who MUST always have mistresses.  I know a few of them.  1 or 2 destroyed marriages and a few destroyed families behind them. 

I think its possible for sexual libertinage to go well enough.  It has been my sad experience that its not the norm for it to go well.  And its the women and the children, if there are any, who get hurt.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:10:23 am »
During my college years when I was "exploring" my sexuality - trying to figure out just what I am, I considered myself "bi". When I told people that, I immediately got negative reactions including people who called me a whore, sex maniac, etc. I didn't really understand why. As time went on, I realized that, yep, I'm gay, not bisexual. When people found out, they seemed fine with it.

I do not agree with the idea that bisexual people can't be faithful in a relationship. One of my closest friends is bi and married to a wonderful man and she would never, ever cheat on him. I know other bi people who are the same. This mentality needs to go.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:32 am »

This mentality needs to go.

It sure does. It's directly due to that mentality that people accused you of being a "whore, sex maniac, etc." when you were in college. People don't seem to get that just because you're attracted to both sexes - and sometimes not even equally attracted - that you must want to screw every person you come into contact with. It just isn't true.

Personally, sometimes I think people who react like that are just plain jealous. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
Just to be clear, my observation is about bi people who are NOT faithful.  As in the Tony Richardson story, fucking his wife's father.  
In no way did I say that bi are incapable of being faithful.
I was referring to men who seem to think it is their right to fuck whoever they wish, despite the fact that it hurts the one they are married to.  
Faithful married couples are by definition not libertines, which is what my post was about. As in, Tony Richardson. And the married guys I know diddling boys on the down-low.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:32:43 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 02:00:18 pm »
Personally, sometimes I think people who react like that are just plain jealous. ;D

Of course they are! Or as Woody Allen would say, "Being bisexual doubles your chance of a date on Saturday night".
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:04:00 pm by killfoile »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »
Of course they are! Or as Woody Allen would say, "Being bisexual doubles your chance of a date on Saturday night".

Joe, I love you. Does Stephen mind?

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.