Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:35:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 525
Total: 528

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Why did doc insist i get hiv test?  (Read 14448 times)

Offline OhSoWorried

Why did doc insist i get hiv test?
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:58:46 pm »
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I just got back from the doctor and have been told that i have pneumonia - i'm a healthy 24 yr old heterosexual man. My doctor surprised the hell out of me when she asked me 1) if i'm gay 2) if i'm a needle drug user and 3) if i have hiv. I repeatedly told her no...and she just kept saying are you sure are you sure. And of course i said yes I'm sure. So, I asked her if i should get tested and she said i was in a low risk group so i didn't need to get tested. When i left the hospital the nurse told me the doc said i should get an hiv test with my primary doctor because they don't do them at the hospital for one reason or another.

So. Now I'm basically freaking out! Why would she do this to me? Here are my possible exposures...

Mid July 06 - protected blow job from stripper

Late September 06 - unprotected vaginal sex with a girl "friend"

Early October 06 - protected vaginal sex with a girl i'd recently met

I know what your gonna say - go get tested - My last negative was in Late August which was about 6 weeks after my protected oral exposure. Can you just give my your thoughts on what I've shared with you? Are rapid tests as accurate as standard blood tests, etc. What should i do?

Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Why did doc insist i get hiv test?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:19:47 pm »
The CDC is pushing for everyone to get tested and they offer it if you go in to the hospital and some clinics. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/reports/pdf/rr5514.pdf  Yes, the rapid tests are just as good.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:36:48 am »
Late September 06 - unprotected vaginal sex with a girl "friend"
That's the incident you should be testing for. Not because I think you'll test positive but because it was unprotected and while transmission is harder from female to male it happens, too darn often.

Get a rapid test and be done with it however there's nothing in your post that appears to be anything more than an inquiring probe from your doctor. As Rod says, more doctors are recommending routine HIV tests.

And you should be using protection more effectively than your current practice after all its your health that needs protecting.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 07:02:50 am »
OhSo,

People are not high risk, activities are. If you've been having unprotected intercourse, that is a high risk activity no matter who you are. ANYONE can have hiv. Anyone.

As 411 pointed out, you need to test at the three month point after your last incident of unprotected intercourse.

There are different types of pneumonia and pneumonia doesn't necessarily mean hiv. However, as you have had unprotected intercourse in the past, you do need to be tested.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:16:24 am »
Anne,

Thank you for replying. I know i made a mistake and i'm going to get tested - but i really want to know - do you think i have symptoms of hiv in this pneumonia or was my doctor just covering everything? I'm really worried - if i get tested now while i have pneumonia will that affect my results?  >:(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:02:13 am »
Worried, no, getting tested while you have pneumonia will NOT affect the reliability of your HIV test.

I'm not going to interpret the hospital doctor's behavior. Sometimes bedside manners are not all they might be and I can understand why the experience left you so alarmed.

Now, here's the deal. You had unprotected intercourse. That automatically means you should get tested. You can do that anytime now and get a reliable result since it's more than 13 weeks past that incident. And yes, the Rapid test is accurate and FDA-approved.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Given that you had a single possible exposure, (IF the woman was HII+), the odds are very much in your favor against transmission having occured.

But, you do need to learn from this experience. You can have intercourse with as many partners as you like and as often as you like. Just make sure you use a latex condom everytime. No exceptions. Low risk is not the same thing as no risk, so keep the latex handy and use it everytime.

Nothing you have reported symptomatically is HIV specific. And only an HIV test can give you a reliable answer. Get tested, collect what I expect will be a negative result and no less importantly, learn from this experience and play it safer in the future.

Good luck with your test.
Andy Velez

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:51:57 pm »
Ok,

I took your advice and went and just got tested at planned parenthood for hiv1/2. Little did i know - they do the orasure gum swab test and not a blood test - Praise God it came back negative (assuming i did it right) but she didn't show me the result just said it was negative - i'm pretty sure she'd tell me the truth though about something like that...you would think anyway.

Well,

I guess what i'm trying to get at is....

1) I was told this test is about 99% accurate. Is that good enough?

2) Should i go to another clinic and get a rapid blood test?

3) Can i finally put HIV behind me? PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Thanks Again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 02:10:52 pm »
OhSo,

As long as your test was done three months or more after your last incident of unprotected intercourse, your test is conclusive and you are hiv negative.

Make sure you use condoms in future and you'll stay that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:04:36 am »
So,

Here we go with my emotions! Down...then up...down then so up because I was HIV negative after 4 months! Now, I read on this site that - if one tests negative for HIV 1 but develops a opportunistic infection of HIV like (bacterial pneumonia - which i had) that they should get tested for HIV 2. Now i'm freaking out again!!! Could it really be possible that I may have HIV2 and just didnt catch it on the test? Also, about 3 weeks before I got and 4 weeks before my most recent negative - I made out with a stripper for like 5 minutes and grinded naked with a different girl - would these be possible means of transferring HIV? Is my testing final and complete??? or should i go get tested again for HIV 2?

I'm so nervous again on this emotional roller coaster!!!

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 03:15:45 am »
ohso

Orasure tests for HIV 1 and 2. http://www.orasure.com/products/default.asp?sec=2&subx=2&cid=2&prd=138

You are reliably HIV negative.

Your most recent action is no risk for HIV infection.

Protect that gift.

R.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 03:50:01 am »
Your negative rapid test is conclusive evidence that you are HIV negative. Pneumonia comes in many forms and was around a lot longer than HIV. Obviously something other than HIV triggered your illness.

The only conclusive determination that HIV wasn't the cause is an HIV test which fortunately was negative. Let your doctor deal with treating your pneumonia and stop with the second guessing.

Since at least 3 months have passed since your last unprotected risky incident your test is conclusive. Now protect your health and be wiser about using condoms.

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:54:07 am »
What about HIV-1 Groups N and O...a standard test does not pick those up. Is that correct? I'm just so worried because healthy and athletic young men just don't get bacterial pneumonia without an underlying meaning...HIV is the only possible cause i can come up with.

This fear is consuming my life and I really don't want to pass HIV on to anybody else if that's what I have. I just want to know if I have some rare form or subtype of HIV!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 12:02:09 pm »
Standard tests pick up all known strains, including O and N. Both of which, by the way, are exceedingly rare and only found in certain remote sections of the sub-Sahara.

Were I you, I would focus on the real issue: Namely, fear of HIV which is consuming your life. I urge you to talk to a counselor or other mental health practitioner about this. Stress can make you sick.

You are conclusively HIV negative.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 12:12:05 pm »
What about HIV-1 Groups N and O...a standard test does not pick those up. Is that correct? I'm just so worried because healthy and athletic young men just don't get bacterial pneumonia without an underlying meaning...HIV is the only possible cause i can come up with.

Fear is your issue as JK said.  But to give you some facts:

From The Mayo Clinic
Introduction
Every year, more than 60,000 Americans die of pneumonia — an inflammation of the lungs usually caused by infection with bacteria, viruses, fungi or other organisms. Pneumonia is a particular concern for older adults and people with chronic illnesses or impaired immune systems, but it also can strike young, healthy people. Worldwide, it's a leading cause of death in children, many of them younger than a year old.

And

At each stage of this process, there are mechanisms to protect your lungs from infection. In fact, you're frequently exposed to bacteria and viruses that can cause pneumonia, but your body normally keeps them from entering your lungs and causing a problem. But sometimes — for reasons that aren't always well understood — these microorganisms can get past your body's defenses, finally finding their way into the lungs' air sacs.

Your HIV Tests are reliable.

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 12:18:39 pm »
You guys are awesome and VERY caring to morons like me!

Thank you very much...from the bottom of my heart.  :)

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 09:56:36 pm »
Can somebody answer a few other questions for me please...

1) Would I have to worry about late seroconversion - ie. beyond 3 months? Why do some doctors and the CDC insist on getting tested out to 6 months on certain exposures and only 3 months on others? That only confuses and scares me.

2) What causes late seroconversion and how often does it happen? What is the percentage of people who will seroconvert by 3 months?

3) Do standard rapid hiv tests test for types O and N? Of course, I'm worried that I may be one of the rare people who contracted one of these rare groups of HIV.

4) How common are HIV 1 O and N in the U.S. as well as HIV 2? Should I worry about these? The reason I ask is because I read I believe here that if you test negative for HIV 1 but develop an opportunistic infection - like i did with bacterial pneumonia - that you should be tested for one of these rare types. What's the deal here???

5) For a couple of months now I've had gentle tingling in random spots on my body including my scalp, knee, lower legs, etc. Does this suggest peripheral neurothapy?

6) When I first thought i was infected about 4 weeks after possible exposure I had a headache and stiff neck for about 3 days. Would this be asceptic meningitis due to HIV?

Sorry for the annoying questions but I'm really hoping you guys can help me get through this.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 10:06:58 pm »
OhSo,

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv. The only people who have even a remote chance of seroconverting late are people on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, and possibly people who inject street drugs, every day, and have done so for years. I trust you don't fall into any of these catagories.

Standard tests pick up all known strains, including O and N. Both of which, by the way, are exceedingly rare and only found in certain remote sections of the sub-Sahara.

You are hiv negative and it's time you moved on. Remember to use condoms - they have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

Please make sure you read the posting guidelines and pay attention to the bit about continuing to post over a conclusive negative result. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 10:33:24 pm »
Ann,

Thank you and I'm sorry for being so ignorant and paranoid. I guess I'm gonna have to convince myself that i am indeed HIV NEGATIVE! One last thing...when you say that only certain people have a chance of seroconverting late - do you mean after 3 months or 6 months? If you would please just clarify that for me and I'll quit bugging you - ha ha.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 11:21:50 pm »
The exceptions which Ann noted, those who are IV drug users or who are being treated for cancer or have otherwise severely depleted immune systems, (which I hasten to say you do not because believe me you would know it since the body is clearly in collapsing condition), only those need to test for up to 6 months.
Andy Velez

Offline OhSoWorried

Re: Symptoms HIV antibodies in test timing
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 09:40:14 am »
Ann,

I've read several articles where a person was admitted to the hospital for symptoms of bacterial pneumonia - which is what i had. (102-104 fever, sore back, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, weird pus-stuff almost thrush like stuff on tonsils and throat, night sweats, weight loss, sore joints, vibrating feeling in foot and tingling in left knee. - they were diagnosed with having HIV - ARS.

Now, of course I'm so worried that I was going through HIV ARS. Please be completely honest with me. Exactly 3 weeks before my illness i had a 5 minute session of deep making out and grinding with a stripper. The next night I grinded with another girl naked and made out with her. I didn't have any oral, vaginal, or anal sex with either of these girls. What are the realistic chances that I acquired HIV through one of these actions? CDC lists "french kissing" as low risk in the same category of Oral Sex. Do you think it's possible i got blood from one of the girls into my mouth and maybe acquired HIV that way? I know it's silly and never even considered these actions as a possibility until i read those articles about ARS and pneumonia and how the CDC lists french kissing as "low risk" rather than "no risk." I couldn't really find anything on risks from grinding.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!  :(

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 09:41:05 am »
Ann,

I've read several articles where a person was admitted to the hospital for symptoms of bacterial pneumonia - which is what i had. (102-104 fever, sore back, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, weird pus-stuff almost thrush like stuff on tonsils and throat, night sweats, weight loss, sore joints, vibrating feeling in foot and tingling in left knee. - they were diagnosed with having HIV - ARS.

Now, of course I'm so worried that I was going through HIV ARS. Please be completely honest with me. Exactly 3 weeks before my illness i had a 5 minute session of deep making out and grinding with a stripper. The next night I grinded with another girl naked and made out with her. I didn't have any oral, vaginal, or anal sex with either of these girls. What are the realistic chances that I acquired HIV through one of these actions? CDC lists "french kissing" as low risk in the same category of Oral Sex. Do you think it's possible i got blood from one of the girls into my mouth and maybe acquired HIV that way? I know it's silly and never even considered these actions as a possibility until i read those articles about ARS and pneumonia and how the CDC lists french kissing as "low risk" rather than "no risk." I couldn't really find anything on risks from grinding.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!   :(

Offline OhSoWorried

Re: Symptoms HIV antibodies in test timing
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 09:41:34 am »
ooops...sorry meant to post in my thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 10:31:33 am »
OhSo,

The difference between those people and you is one, they had PCP - which you most likely did not. There are several different types of pneumonia. Also, they were diagnosed with hiv using the same tests you used - but you tested negative. You do not have hiv. You do NOT HAVE TO HAVE hiv to get pneumonia.

The grinding you cite as a risk - isn't. It's called "frottage" and frottage is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

You really need to accept the fact that your pneumonia was caused by something other than hiv and move on with your life. Keep using condoms and you will remain hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 10:33:24 am »
OhSo,

I merged your "ooops".

I forgot to mention in my above post that kissing, no matter what sort of spin you want to put on it, is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 10:38:35 am »
Ann,

Thank you so much for answering! You are very understanding.

One last thing,

Should i get tested one last time at 3 months past this last french kissing and frottage or should i just forget about it altogether?

Thanks...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 10:47:36 am »
OhSo,

You only need testing if it is part of your regular, routine sexual health care check up. You do NOT need to test over these specific incidents. You are hiv negative, stay that way by using condoms correctly and consistently. Make sure you read the condom and lube links in my signature line.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 11:14:13 am »
Question about seronconversion...

If a person were to be going through ARS how soon after ARS will a positive person seroconvert and show positive on a blood test? Or...is ARS seroconversion? I'm confused why some people seroconvert later than others and take longer to develop detectable antibodies on a blood test...is it because they don't experience ARS or does that have nothing to do with it? Also, does it ever happen that a person who is HIV positive just never shows positive on a blood test because they don't produce enough antibodies (kind of like herpes) or does one always produce antibodies to HIV when they become infected and thus show positive on a standard test by 3 months?

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 12:03:43 pm »
Can somebody PLEASE answer my last questions?!

Thank you

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 12:08:19 pm »
Well, I can tell you skipped the lessons on HIV found in the "Welcome" thread. If you would have read it like you were told you would know the answer. 6-13 weeks and on some rare occasions it could be longer. You will not have a conclusive test until your 13 week test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 12:10:29 pm »
OhSo,

Patience, please.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

ARS is a group of variable symptoms that not everyone experiences. It is only the outward sign that the body is producing antibodies, but a person does NOT have to exhibit outward symptoms to be in fact producing antibodies.

The only people who are likely to have a slightly delayed seroconversion are people who are on anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, people on chemotherapy for cancer or people who inject street drug, every day, and have been doing so for years. Even these people are most likely to test positive before the three months is up.

You keep asking the same questions - but the answers are NOT going to change. Please re-read your thread and take the time to absorb and understand our answers before posting again. You are conclusively negative. Period. End of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 12:17:41 pm »
Ann,

I know I'm negative from my unprotected vaginal exposure 4 months ago - i'm sure of that...

But, how can i be sure that i'm truly negative from my french kissing and frottage with the stripper/other girl from january 25-26? I tested negative on february 20th, but that was a few days after my symptoms subsided and only 25 days after those possible exposures. Wouldn't I have to test again at 3 months to be sure that the french kissing/frottage didn't give my HIV and was causing my symptoms? I just want to be 100% sure that I don't have HIV or should I just forget about any chance of transmission from these events and not get tested again?

Help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 12:33:21 pm »
But, how can i be sure that i'm truly negative from my french kissing and frottage with the stripper/other girl from january 25-26?

OhSo,

Because "french" kissing, or any other type of kissing, is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has been infected by kissing and you will NOT be the first.

Frottage is also NOT a risk for hiv infection. Again, no one has ever become infected in this manner.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Once the virus is outside the body, it quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect.

You are conclusively negative from the unprotected intercourse. You haven't been at risk since that time.

You ARE hiv negative. It's time you moved on with your life. It's also time you took notice of the posting guideline that reads:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned. If you are having difficulties moving on from this incident(s), ask your doctor for a referral to a mental health care professional so you can work through your anxieties in the proper setting. That type of thing is far outside the scope of this website.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:54 pm »
Sorry Ann,

I guess the fear of having HIV is just consuming me. I don't think I would have ever even thought about it or been this nervous had the doctor at the hospital not harassed me so much about whether or not i was gay, an injection drug user, or if I had HIV! I was so nervous because of this and begged her to test me but she wouldn't do it for hospital "security" reasons or something like that. When I left the hospital, she recommended I get tested for HIV by my local doctor? Wouldn't that make you nervous? How am I supposed to just go on everyday like it's nothing knowing that what she said is always sitting in the back of my mind. I read through the lessons and I now know the risks but she really rattled me and now I'm almost scared to have sex let alone even kiss anybody anymore. I know you're gonna say that I need to see a "shrink" and I probably will but I guess I'm just mad at myself for putting myself in this position and wish that the doctor would have been a little more supportive.

OhSoWorried

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 01:01:16 pm »
OhSo,

From time to time you will come across doctors who don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to knowing the facts of hiv. This doesn't change the scientific facts.

In your case the facts are you didn't have a risk of hiv infection since your unprotected encounter and you are in fact hiv negative. As long as you use condoms in future, you will be just fine.

Now do yourself a favour and turn your computer off. Go do something completely different and enjoy life!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline OhSoWorried

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 06:01:23 pm »
Why is it that the CDC recommends getting tested out to 6 months and that seroconversion can on occasion take longer than 6 months? They don't mention anything about only those who are anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, people on chemotherapy for cancer or people who inject street drugs. They just say that people should get tested at 3 months post exposure and again at 6 months post exposure just to be sure - they don't say anything at all about only "certain people" needing to test up to 6 months. Doesn't this mean that pretty much anybody could seroconvert at anytime after 3 months-i know it's rare but it can happen.

Dr. Bob from TheBody.com even admitted that it's possible. So, how can one say that testing negative at 3 months is conclusive bur for other i guess "high risk" situations one should test out to 6 months? I thought HIV didn't care about "risk" - just that no matter how one is infected they still produce the same ARS symptoms, seroconvert at some point and in turn develop antibodies for HIV.

I had UNprotected sex 154 days (22 weeks, 5 1/2 months) and PROTECTED sex 134 days (19 weeks almost 5 months) prior to my last negative test. Should I retest at 6 months after my last PROTECTED exposure or is my most recent negative indeed negative? I wonder because - i have always been healthy - never used to get sick and now i develop pneumonia, have had random tingling in parts of my body and burning in spots of my lower legs...just doesn't make sense. What else could it possibly be?

I'm doing everything I can to convince myself that my last french kissing/frottage had no risk but i don't know what to believe anymore as many HIV experts and the CDC have only made me wonder if I am just one of those unlucky people. Can anyone shed some light on what the actual truth is? PLEASE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 06:06:20 pm »
OhSo,

We've given you the facts, but it's not our job to force you to believe us. The fact is that you are conclusively hiv negative and it's time to move on with your life.

I've already warned you - and now I'm giving you that time out. Please use this time to seek some face-to-face help. You can continue to test all you like over this one incident, but your result is not going to change. Keep using condoms consistently and correctly and it won't change in future either.

Do not create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be banned permanently, no questions asked.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ImSorry

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 06:33:53 am »
Ann,

Listen I know you told me not to create another account but I need you more than ever right now...please don't abandon me. Please. I know you said that my "french kissing" and "frottage" were not risks but I've now developed Peripheral Neuropathy. This is real Ann. I promise.
Here are the symptoms I've experienced 7 days after my sickness...
- tingling in feet for 5-6 days
- tingling in hands/arms for 5-6 days
- buzzing every 4 seconds under pinky toe in left foot
- periodic burning feelings throughout my body
- sore thigh muscles for 3-4 days - very dizzy when getting up
- nausea feelng throughout the day
- decreased vision
- diarrhea
- feeling full after eating small meal
- impotence

I've had all these symptoms and they started about 7 days after I recovered from my sickness. I know you think I had NO CHANCE of acquiring HIV through making out but every time I look up Peripheral Neuropathy - which seems to very much so match my symptoms - it seems like the most common cause is HIV during seroconversion. If this was the case wouldn't I have tested positive by now? I tested negative - but only 40 days post exposure.
Help!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 06:52:07 am »
Oh So Sorry,

You were told to not create a new account to get around your time out - but you did anyway - so now you are permanently banned from posting in these forums.

The purpose of your time out was to encourage you to seek face-to-face help, something we cannot possibly give you over the internet. You need to go to your doctor - only a doctor can diagnose PN. You cannot and neither can we.

All we CAN tell you is that you have conclusively tested negative for hiv. You do NOT have hiv. Whatever is going on with you has NOTHING to do with hiv as you are NOT hiv positive. You could be missing something serious by your insistence that it must be hiv. It is NOT hiv. You do not have hiv.

Remember to use condoms in future and you will remain hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.