Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:15:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 286
Total: 286

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Southern Hospitality For The Gays?  (Read 2343 times)

Offline tednlou2

Southern Hospitality For The Gays?
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:30:21 am »
A recent segment of The Daily Show showed some very tolerant southern folks.  This was one time that I wondered whether they had edited a piece to get the results they wanted.  It was just so surprising to me.  I figured this "gay couple" would get some ugly looks and remarks in more progressive cities and towns, not to mention the Deep South. 

What do you think?  Can anything be gleaned from this short segment with just a few locations, where they knew they were on camera?  Although, we often see people actually at their worst, when a camera is on them.  Perhaps there is much more change happening than I thought.  There does seem to be daily progress.  If you are anti-gay, it is something many feel they need to hide, as each day rolls by.  I sometimes check out Focus On The Family's Facebook page, as well as some others.  Besides a post when the SCOTUS decision came down, they haven't discussed it since.  Of course, I'm not totally naive.  They are still funding anti-gay efforts and these closeted anti-gay people would still vote to deny rights, if given the chance.  But, more and more, they aren't given the chance.   

Anyway, I was just really surprised by this.  The cynic in me kept trying to find reasons why this is just an isolated case (I am still skeptical).  I wondered if they were dressed stereotypically flamboyant, instead of in stereotypical redneck clothing, would they have been met with a different response.  I wondered whether they thought it was sweet these guys were in love and how cute a ceremony would be, but that is the extent and they would not be in favor of a real and legal ceremony.  This is off the ipad app, so I hope it opens for any device.

Watch: Last Gay Standing http://on.cc.com/17wZuOV via @TheDailyShow iOS App http://on.cc.com/x8YWex

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Southern Hospitality For The Gays?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:29:45 am »
 8)

That was pretty good !  :) There's a Waffle house just a couple miles north of us, that we employees used to go to at midnight, back when I used to work the second shift.  The place was bizarre.

We called it the Awful house  ;D

I haven't been in one in quite a while.  The last time was when Ed and I were taking a trip up north.  We stopped in one, just north of Jacksonville, Florida. ( It may have been in Georgia.  Can't remember for sure. I think the place was fronting as a place of prostitution. More going on than waffles in this place. I am sure crack or meth was also being sold there. 

But that one, I felt like we were taking our life in our hands when we entered it.

We hurried and ate and got the hell out !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:53:31 am »
I have had the occasional I hate the sin not the sinner comment delivered with a sweet southern accent and a smile but I haven't had much more to contend with and I was/am out here in the deep south since the very early 80's . I lived in Chicago in lake view after that and gays were the majority there .

Oddly enough the two worst violent incidents of homophobia I ever personally experienced was in San Diego . Our first night there we were being shown Hillcrest street and was pelted with eggs . The other incident was at gay pride , some jerk launched a tear gas grenade into the crowd as PFLAG was coming by and I will never forget the children that were screaming from fear and pain , it was awful for us as well and I could not breath well for two days .

The thing is homophobia is disenfranchisement and a civil rights issue and the rest of the nation is moving forward on these issues . The deep south where I live will be the last place in America where our civil rights will be recognized , just the same as it was in Americas last civil rights movement .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:20:11 am »
Living on Orkney I also have had hate the sin blah blah from sweet old ladies.

It took a few goes to come up with

"I am so lucky to love both. "

Jeff,s piece reminded me that it was in London that some bastard facist planted a bomb in The Admiral Nelson , a long time Soho Gay pub. So the greatness outrage maybe is often located in the the most tolerant off places.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:24:49 pm »
There is a difference between political/ social views and violence/ hatred/ bigotry.

I  believe that most people in the south are kind and caring and probably would have the same reaction as the people in the video. 

There is a difference between that and supporting policies that are supportive for gay people. 

Violence against gays is not confined to the south or conservative areas.  It happens in liberal areas a lot to.   There was a  lot in the news recently about some attacks in New York. 
The south is probably more friendly than most areas, it's just there politics are wrong.

just a thought.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline darryaz

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:39:39 pm »
I always consider Oklahoma "right up there" with Alabama and Mississippi in terms of  intolerance.  But when my ex made me hold his hand at the OKC zoo a few years ago I was pleasantly surprised. 

I expected all the soccer moms to shield their children's eyes but instead we got several "oh, how cute" comments.

I guess it promotes this theory:
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
(Extra points if you can name the movie that's from.)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.