Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 386
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 384
Total: 384

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ~  (Read 11821 times)

Offline Eldon

~
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:50:20 pm »
Hello Everyone, it is Eldon.

I would say at one point in my life, it used to be the Gym for a guaranteed (4) four hours per day. Now it is about (3) three times a week about (1) one hour per day.

Is exercise a priority in your life? Please feel free to take the Quiz and you can answer that question for yourself:

http://exercise.about.com/library/blprioritiesquiz.htm?nl=1

Have the BEST Day!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:18:28 pm by Eldon »

Offline Sky

• Myspace
Re: Is Exercise a Priority In Your Life?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:53:31 pm »
Hmm...well it should be a priority for me, but sadly it isn't.  I've fought problems with my weight my entire life, not being overweight, but underweight.  I can eat more food in the course of a day than most people and see none of it add pounds on me.  Doc's advised quitting smoking was something I needed to consider.  Well, I quit a month ago and lemme tell ya I'm starting to put on the pounds now, so I NEED to get my ass in gear before I gain to much to fast.
Poz since 2003.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 12:08:30 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:54:58 pm by Iggy »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 12:15:33 am »
Oh I will still love you Iggles...you big ol' pudge-muffin. :-*

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 12:25:54 am »
Define exercise. Cause I get winded carrying bags in from the car.
Its no secret that I'm not a look-a-like for Twiggy, but I have been trying a little harder to dance around the house, and go to a really big store (Wally World) and making a few laps around the perimeter, I'm sure I make the people in the surveillance room nuts.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 12:33:09 am »
Hey Lisa,

Any related type of activity that makes you utilize your muscles. Example: Walking around the block at a fast pace or working inside of your garden.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 03:56:48 am »
I wish it was more of a priority for me Eldon, it sure as hell should be.  Im starting to get chubby!  Soon I'll be chubbybear and not cubbybear. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 04:37:34 am »
Eldon, only if it has four wheels and a set of keys to go with it. That's the extent of my exercise.  ;)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 04:45:14 am »
I wish it was more of a priority for me Eldon, it sure as hell should be.  Im starting to get chubby!  Soon I'll be chubbybear and not cubbybear. 

Mmmmm....chubby bear!  The very best kind of bear I would think.... ;D

Eldon, i haven't quite figured out how much of a priority exercise should have in my life.  Six months ago I couldn't get out of bed, and now i'm up to three miles jogging on the treadmill (without cheating!).  Not EVERY day, mind you, but i'm getting there.

Take care,
John

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 05:50:04 am »
Well, having my own fitnessclub ( 8) yo all know I want to sell it badly) I "could" work out every day.

I was an aerobic teacher in my younger days and a freak, even many years after my diagnosis.
But then came AZT, Zerit and many others. Anemia, acidity in the muscletissue, cramps...

I had to stop working out completely. And I had to face loosing my athletic body. Sigh.
Now I have a good walking regime with my Jack Russell dog, Lola.
We walk up to 8 miles daily, mostly in two stretches. It takes building up.
Weight training is a bit hard for me. I tend to get joint aches easel. So I use my "vibrationplate" or Powerplate". ( Not what the naughty minds think it is  ::))

But we must realise that many of our family had their ability to work out destroyed by HIV, ARD and meds.
Neuropathy, muscleweakness, cardiac problems...

For those who still can : do it, as we are all susceptible to the general effects of aging and wrong nourishment.

Hermie

[attachment deleted by admin]
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 06:46:48 am »
Hermie, we still have plastic surgeons. ;) I just haven't used them yet. I'm waiting till I get your age.  :D

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 09:17:06 am »
no, but doing things i enjoy is, and most of those happen to be fairly active - sometimes I think i need to make sitting still more of a priority.

Kate "I am not a runner / I just like to run"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 09:30:59 am »
Funny this should come up now. I have been really lazy this summer.

I stopped my usual exercise regimen when spring/summer came along and I started spending many hours toiling in the gardens. I love playing in the dirt!

Now that fall is here and the garden is pretty much spent for the year, I started my exercise regimen again - last week.

I am still sore. I didn't increase anything, just started where I left off. But, ho boy, ouch. I sound like an 80-year-old when I get up off a couch.

I try to be faithful exercising, but sometimes my schedule doesn't allow me to do what I want when I want to do it.

Oh well, I'll never be Mr. Universe. Come to think of it, I'll never be Jack LaLane. But, what the hell, at least I get to ogle the cuties in the shower as I nurse my aching muscles in the jacuzzi.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 09:55:09 am »
Exercise is definitely a priority in my life. I do some kind of exercise for about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours about 5 days a week, either lifting weights, jogging, biking, volleyball or taking the dog on a long walk. I started exercising my freshman year of college after taking the mandatory P.E. class. The class inspired me to sign up for weight training, volleyball, racquetball, gymnastics, soccer and scuba diving. I have stuck with exercising pretty consistently since. Exercise helps me releave stress and I think it plays an important part in maintaining my health. After my partner and I got together he quit working out and thought I would give it up too. He was critical of my exercise routine for several years before finally accepting that it's a positive thing and that I'm not giving it up. My father is 83-years-old and jogs 2 miles every day, rain or shine, and I plan on following his example.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 01:00:47 pm »
I have a regular routine...walk about two miles a day..vary the route and speed usually 45 mins...stop feed the ducks ( we live on a lake near Dallas)  then do "chores" usually involves more "moving around" kinds of things...have a personal trainer 3X week at Larry North Fitness..do the planned program with him. about 1 hour depending on which groups we do that day ...and use the orbital machine for 20 to 30 mins before and after.....   I could probably do most of this without the trainer but he keeps me motivated and keeps enough variety in the workout  ( machine vs free weight) to prevent boredom...  If I break the routine ( like on vacation ) I really miss it ..start to develop creaks and aches ..  I am /have always been very slender(  read that, skinny guy )  but this disease has really got me into routine that I think goes a long way toward the otherwise good health I enjoy

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Just John

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 06:35:14 pm »
Well, the Medics tell me I must; the slowly increasing waistline tells me I should; the blossoming man-boobs and flabby arms are telling me I ought to and the BF just giggles and tells me that if I don't watch it he'll soon need an arm extension to give me a cuddle. BUT!! How the F*@k does anybody find the time to drive to the gym and spend a couple of hours on a workout? after work, the household chores, family, friends, answering e-mails and checking up on here I only have time for sleep. I lie a little because I take the pooch out at least twice a day for about 45 minutes to an hour each time, but if it wasn't for this I wouldn't get any excercise at all. How do you manage it?

John. (Who gave up smoking and an active job in the same year)
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 09:03:45 pm »
Hey John,

I DO agree that the schedule can tend to get pretty rough when you have your week and weekends booked. Sometimes it is difficult to make time, however, I DO consider to make it some sort of priority to keep the muscles in motion. Like Hermie, I used to in addition to the mad workout for (4) four hours per day, DO aerobics (3) three times per week for the cardiovascular.

Any type of excercise is good for you even if you are walking to the car. (Try not to park so close to the front door). Mark, don't strain yourself or pull a muscle.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 10:05:43 pm »
ABSOLUTELY MY HIGHEST PRIORITY ELDON!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 10:11:59 pm »
Hey Eric,

I started to say something but............get up and DO something!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 10:20:31 pm »
i am moving my fingers over a keyboard.....   rest time... ;)

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 10:48:32 pm »
Eric I lol'd at that pic...it's so the road I'm heading  :D
Poz since 2003.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 10:58:28 pm »
Matty the Damned objects to exercise on principle. Gymnasia and other places where less intelligent homosexuals gather to "work out" have never held any particular attraction for him. Ghastly places filled with vacuous individuals who, quite frankly, the world could do without.

Cheap, anonymous sex can be obtained with less exertion in places where alcohol is served.

That said, I do get some exercise. Walking is what keeps me terrific. I had to let me driver's licence expire when I was diagnosed with epilepsy about 7 years ago. Since then I've relied on public transport, the kindess of strangers and Shank's Pony.

MtD

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 11:10:10 pm »
Cheap, anonymous sex can be obtained with less exertion in places where alcohol is served.
lol so true  :D
Poz since 2003.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 11:10:21 pm »
Matty,

It is good news to hear that you are staying fit.

Offline whatcanI tell ya?

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 11:24:50 pm »
Recently I made that commitment to exercise. I hr a day 5 days a weeks. It works on my mood like magic. I feel better once I am done working out. I will say it is a priority in the midst of other priorities I have.
Do not ask for a smaller load, rather ask for a stronger back. --unknown.

I can no longer shed tears becos I no longer feel pain. Am I better now or am I the same person?  I do not know. What can I tell ya?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 11:37:29 pm »
Like Hermie, I used to in addition to the mad workout for (4) four hours per day, DO aerobics (3) three times per week for the cardiovascular. 

I have never worked out for four hours in my life! What the hell were you doing, a triathlon?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 11:39:22 pm »
It is good news to hear that you are staying fit.

I don't recall saying I was staying fit. Just terrific.

MtD

Offline Eldon

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 11:40:56 pm »
Matty,

Ok, it is good that you are teriffic! LOL!

GSO, I did some serious training back then. Not to mention the wait time at Bally's.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 11:42:44 pm by Eldon »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 11:56:32 pm »
Oh yes,  its on my list of to-do's...

Offline Eldon

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 12:17:25 am »
A Serious workout indeed!

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 03:50:39 am »
I started running this year. 3 times a week 5 kilometers. (one mile is 1,5 kilometer). It is quick, I can do it anytime I want. The only way for me to get rid of my belly which is lipodystrophy-related. I feel better now, also happier. To move is good for the mind, I think.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 06:38:21 pm »
I Take the dogs for a walk at least once a day, sometimes twice. Our regular route is anywhere from two miles to four and a half miles, And between one to two hours, longer if we stop for a swim. Also, my job requires constant physical work as I do landscaping, and soon will be doing the gym thing on a regular basis.
                                               Capt. Carl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Eldon

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 10:36:06 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Why Is Exercise Important?

Exercise helps many people with HIV disease feel better and might strengthen your immune system.

Exercise cannot control or fight HIV disease, but it may help you feel better and fight many of the side effects of HIV disease and HIV medications.

Please take a moment to review a write-up on HIV and Excecise:

http://www.thebody.com/nmai/exercise.html

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 10:39:44 pm »
I agree with Eldon!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 11:49:57 pm »
For some, it may not be a priority or they just cannot help themselves. For HIVers, it is a good avenue to help you feel better as well.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.