Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:22:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 218
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scientists Identify Chemical in Bananas as Potent Inhibitor of HIV Infection  (Read 19613 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Scientists Identify Chemical in Bananas as Potent Inhibitor of HIV Infection

Released: 3/15/2010 7:00 AM EDT

Source: University of Michigan Health System

Newswise — A potent new inhibitor of HIV, derived from bananas, may open the door to new treatments to prevent sexual transmission of HIV, according to a University of Michigan Medical School study published this week.
Scientists have an emerging interest in lectins, naturally occurring chemicals in plants, because of their ability to halt the chain of reaction that leads to a variety of infections.

In laboratory tests, BanLec, the lectin found in bananas, was as potent as two current anti-HIV drugs. Based on the findings published March 19 in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, BanLec may become a less expensive new component of applied vaginal microbicides, researchers say.

New ways of stopping the spread of the HIV are vitally needed. The rate of new infections of HIV is outpacing the rate of new individuals getting anti-retroviral drugs by 2.5 to1, and at present it appears an effective vaccine is years away.

“HIV is still rampant in the U.S. and the explosion in poorer countries continues to be a bad problem because of tremendous human suffering and the cost of treating it,” says study senior author David Marvovitz, M.D., professor of internal medicine at the U-M Medical School.

Although condom use is quite effective, condoms are most successful in preventing infection if used consistently and correctly, which is often not the case.

“That’s particularly true in developing countries where women have little control over sexual encounters so development of a long-lasting, self-applied microbicide is very attractive,” Markovitz says.
Some of the most promising compounds for inhibiting vaginal and rectal HIV transmission are agents that block the virus prior to integration into its target cell.

The new study describes the complex actions of lectins and their ability to outsmart the HIV virus. Lectins are sugar-binding proteins. They can identify foreign invaders, like a virus, in the body, and attach themselves to the pathogen.

The U-M team discovered Ban Lec, the lectin in bananas, can inhibit HIV infection by binding to the sugar-rich HIV-1 envelope protein, gp120, and block its entry to the body.

Continued . . .

LINK:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/chemical-in-bananas-potent-inhibitor-of-hiv-infection-according-to-university-of-michigan-study

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
That's good news and I hope it works out as a microbicide. I seem to remember something similar a few years ago about something in lemons, but the idea turned out to be... er... a lemon.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline veritas

I hope there are no side-effects------- like a tendency to climb trees.

Offline carpediem98

Hmm... I'm not sure my first comment after being away should be a joke about what we can start doing with bananas - for the good of our health, of course...

INSTEAD, I'll wonder aloud (or via typing) how many bananas one would have to eat to replicate these results in vivo.  ;)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad

Offline veritas

It is amazing that this compound could be as powerful as Fuzeon.

v

Offline MYSTERY

So the new saying goes, a bananna a day keeps HIV at bay. Hell with those apples.  ;D
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Rapiddog, Ann, Andy -- Please help!!!!!! Condom on banana broke!!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »
PLEASE HELP

Last night I went to the grocery store and bought a banana. 

It was strong

and yellow

and it looked healthy.  But now thiinking back I am SO WORRIED.

See, when I put a condom on the banana and rubbed it all over my body the condom broke and all this PULP came out of the banana and got ALL over me. I tried to wipe it off but I accidentally used the finger with a CUT on it!!

Now I have a GROSS rash and am SO WORRIED.!!!!!!!!!

I plan to test every two weeks but I think they will hide the results from me.

Please advice!!

Pal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline MYSTERY

Re: Rapiddog, Ann, Andy -- Please help!!!!!! Condom on banana broke!!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »
PLEASE HELP

Last night I went to the grocery store and bought a banana. 

It was strong

and yellow

and it looked healthy.  But now thiinking back I am SO WORRIED.

See, when I put a condom on the banana and rubbed it all over my body the condom broke and all this PULP came out of the banana and got ALL over me. I tried to wipe it off but I accidentally used the finger with a CUT on it!!

Now I have a GROSS rash and am SO WORRIED.!!!!!!!!!

I plan to test every two weeks but I think they will hide the results from me.

Please advice!!

Pal

So much for saying that condoms are safe sex.  ;D ;D ;D

Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline RapidRod

How many tons of bananas do you have to eat a day to benefit? Cause they don't do shit for me. Well maybe if they are to green I may get the shits.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Scientists Identify Chemical in Bananas as Potent Inhibitor of HIV Infection

Newswise — A potent new inhibitor of HIV, derived from bananas, may open the door to new treatments to prevent sexual transmission of HIV,

Me wonders if peeling a banana and rubbing it on ones bung-hole would prevent transmssion?? Of course it's too late for me, but it sounds fun.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline MYSTERY

Me wonders if peeling a banana and rubbing it on ones bung-hole would prevent transmssion?? Of course it's too late for me, but it sounds fun.

-Will

One things for sure Willy if you shove it up your bung-hole it won't give you HIV that for sure.  :D :o

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
One things for sure Willy if you shove it up your bung-hole it won't give you HIV that for sure.  :D :o

. . . but will he still be able to take communion? ;)

MtD

Offline MYSTERY

MtD

The Sacrament of Confession is a wonderful thing Matty.  ;)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!

MtD

I take my communion up the Squeeze Chute...as I prefer.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Okealyshire

I take my communion up the Squeeze Chute...as I prefer.

Which dispensing mechanism do you prefer? This...

...or this?

Offline J220

Couldn't think of a banana joke so here's the next best thing....in honor of the allmighty banana now, I guess! lol. Classic Harry Belafonte. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpg-KIKD5gU&feature=related
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Matty the Damned

The Sacrament of Confession is a wonderful thing Matty.  ;)

No don't tell me, I can remember this.

Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been 22 years since my last confession . . .

MtD

Offline MYSTERY

No don't tell me, I can remember this.

Bless me Father for I have sinned. It has been 22 years since my last confession . . .

MtD

Matty,

You are spot on  ;D ;D. I tell ya what if you ever decide to go let me know because I will see Father first and when he get to you nothing will surprise him..... :o :o :o ;D. I just went last week so give me a little while to catch up to those 22 years of yours. Take care my friend and eat those bananas.

Offline Matty the Damned

Take care my friend and eat those bananas.

MtD

Offline Okealyshire

A possibly more familiar variation on the theme:

Offline Matty the Damned

A possibly more familiar variation on the theme:

Oooh! Kosher! :)

MtD

Offline carpediem98

All joking aside - this really is another exciting development. Imagine, being able to create cheaper, potent antiretrovirals in a completely new family... from fruit. Here's hoping it doesn't do for the price of bananas what ethanol did for the price of corn and grain!  ;)

Meanwhile... while my VL is undetectable, I've still found myself eating about 3 bananas a day.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
It certainly is an exciting development and I hope it doesn't go the way of lemons. I mentioned the other day that I remembered something about lemons (and/or limes) being used as a microbicide to prevent transmission, so I looked it up.

I did remember correctly. It turned out that for lemon juice to be effective as a microbicide, it had to be used in a concentration that damaged cells lining the vagina (and presumably the rectum) and thus actually facilitated transmission, much like N-9. When it was used in a lower concentration that did not damage cells, it was useless as a microbicide. And so the search continued.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

I hope you guys know there is a correct way to peel a banana :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline carpediem98

I did remember correctly. It turned out that for lemon juice to be effective as a microbicide, it had to be used in a concentration that damaged cells lining the vagina (and presumably the rectum) and thus actually facilitated transmission, much like N-9. When it was used in a lower concentration that did not damage cells, it was useless as a microbicide. And so the search continued.

Hmm... I wonder if that has something to do with the acidity of effective components? Think about how a lemon vs. a banana feels in the mouth. Extrapolate that to bananas. Perhaps we have a nonacidic microbicide on our hands! :)

[Disclaimer: I'm on an antihistamine for my allergies that makes me high as a kite if I go to happy hour... which I just did. So if I'm making no sense, that's my excuse!]

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Rachel Zoe says this is bananas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIL2ZwCOxOs
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Okealyshire

[Disclaimer: I'm on an antihistamine for my allergies that makes me high as a kite if I go to happy hour... which I just did. So if I'm making no sense, that's my excuse!]

Umm...pray tell what might be this particular antihistamine? Sounds intriguing! ;)

Offline emeraldize

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
- Do you have Bananas Foster? - No, we don't.

Someone told me you had Bananas Foster here.

I'm sorry, no.

It's impossible to find Bananas Foster.

Maybe they'll make it for you if you describe it to them.

What about the sauce?

You think they just have Bananas Foster sauce lying around in the kitchen...
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
I had a cleaning woman named Bananas Foster. She claimed Jodie was a distant cousin.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:32:37 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline ATorrez

I hate to say this, but like Ann said, how many times have been seen something in HIV medicine that seemed "promising" at first but never panned out? There are probably countless millions of substances that are active against HIV in a petri dish. The problem is, is when you have to translate that benefit into human research. That's where it becomes tricky. Even a positive trial on Simian animals/ SIV is no guarantee that it will work in humans, as we have seen in vaccine trials.
Piss off a democrat: Take responsibility for your life and your actions.

"When Marxist dictators shoot their way into power in Central America, the San Francisco Democrats don't blame the guerrillas and their Soviet allies. They blame United States policies of 100 years ago. But then they always blame America first." -Jeanne Kirkpatrick

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.