Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:46:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 470
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Did the ARVs resolve my skin issue?  (Read 8688 times)

Offline Common_ground

Did the ARVs resolve my skin issue?
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »
I have had bad skin on my right foot sole mainly under the big toe and surrounding area for years. Not sure how long this has been going on but I think it started at least 5 or 6 years ago. when I still tested HIV -. My guess is that its a fungal infection or some skin disease making the skin flaky and dry, since I been doing sports I guess it could be passed on in showers, locker rooms or from sweaty feet.
I tried lotion,creams, pedicure to no avail

Yesterday I accidentally looked at my sole and the skin was perfect, I mean baby skin. :) I havent changed anything expect I got HIV and started the ARVs. Could it be the meds Truvada/Stocrin resolved this?
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Did the ARVs resolve my skin issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:08 pm »
I can't speak to your exact situation, but I can say this:  your skin is your largest organ, and is often the one that first presents with issues realted to HIV - often fungal infections, psoriasis and the like.  That was the case with me.  And when the meds begin to turn your immune system around, these issues can correct themselves.

The puzzler for me is that you said this was the case prior to testing positive. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »
The ARVs don't resolve skin issues, not directly anyway. When you're taking hiv meds, your immune system can then deal with things other than keeping hiv in check, so you can get rid of long-standing, low-level infections.

I've had difficult-to-shift athlete's foot for years now and after only four weeks on meds, it's finally starting to clear up. I'm still using antifungal creams, but they only held it down to a low roar previously. Now it's actually going away and I couldn't be happier.

By the way, I've been fastidious in washing my feet several times a day and applying differing antifungals but it never completely got rid of the AF. It was actually so bad in early June I got a secondary bacterial infection on the bottom (arch) of my left foot. Hopefully that kind of problem will be a thing of the past for me now.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:29 pm »

I dealt with fungus's for many many years   :o

I used all sorts of creams and potions . Nothing worked !

Many years later when I started taking  HIV  meds the issues went away .

I tend to have pretty skin  :-*

Carl 
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:51:17 am »
I have had athletes foot every year or two since my early teens and a few weeks of over the counter treatment always cleared it up.   

Within 5 or 6 weeks of diagnosis I have fungal rings under my arm pits.  It is a hot summer, and I have been perspiring, and the odd night sweat doesn't help - but I have never had this before.  I have been trying to put anti-fungal powder on -- but it doesn't seem to put a dent in the fungus. 

I am starting meds in the next week or so and I hope this (and the other symptoms - like joint pain, night sweats, etc.) will resolve with the meds.

Thanks,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:24:41 am »

I have fungal rings under my arm pits.

Fungal infections that appear ring-like are usually caused by ringworm (be sure to click on that link and read so you can follow any recommendations/information I may have missed).

You'd probably have better results if you used an OTC cream containing miconazole or clotrimazole, rather than a powder. I've always found antifungal powders to be better at prevention than cure. Creams are better absorbed into the skin and make it easier for the drugs to combat an established infection. You may want to top up with the powder as well to help keep the area dry, but use a cream first.

Write the two drug names down and go to a drug store - if you can't find what you need on the shelves, hand the paper to the pharmacist and he or she will be happy to help.

It can take up to four weeks to get rid of it, and you'll need to be washing the area a couple times a day and applying the cream after thoroughly drying the area. Do this before bed, when you get up in the morning, and at least once during the day - or more, depending on how bad the infection is and how much you're sweating during the day.

Always wash your hands after touching the affected areas or applying cream - you can spread ringworm around your body if you're not careful. Do not re-use towels (use small hand-towels or even wash cloths to dry yourself to save on laundry) and change your shirt every time you wash and apply the cream. Same goes for nightwear or bedding if you sleep nekkid. It might be easier on your laundry if you wear a tee-shirt to bed while you're dealing with this.

If it doesn't start to improve after a week or so, see your doctor. You may need a systemic med (usually ketoconazole in pill form) to get rid of it, because don't forget, your body is also constantly fighting hiv and so it might not bother dealing with the fungus. Your body will consider the fungus to be small beans compared to your newly acquired virus.

Good luck. Nothing worse than the fungus among us! ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:40:27 am »

Within 5 or 6 weeks of diagnosis I have fungal rings under my arm pits.
I am starting meds in the next week or so and I hope this (and the other symptoms - like joint pain, night sweats, etc.) will resolve with the meds.

Thanks,
JM

I am assuming your doctor has seen these rings?  I hate to ever suggest an OI, but along with the other issues you mentioned, there could also be an internal fungal infection.  The armpit rings were the first thing I noticed before I became deathly ill and wish I hadn't dismissed it so casually.

Not trying to scare you, simply suggesting you have your doctor take a good looksy. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:02:18 am »

I hate to ever suggest an OI,

No need to frighten the lad! :)

Jmarksto has only been hiv positive for a few months (he tested negative in March 2012, and positive in July) and he's got great numbers, so it's much more likely to be just an ordinary ringworm infection. They're very common, particularly in hot, humid summers.

But like I did say, if using an anti-fungal cream (rather than just a powder) and being vigilant about washing, applying the cream and using fresh towels and changing his shirts regularly doesn't begin to improve the situation within a week, a visit to the doctor is definitely in order.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:21:39 am »
Thanks Ann, I was just curious about the night sweats and such.  Is that a common issue with recently diagnosed people?  I guess everytime I went through night sweating periods, I knew a hospital stay was imminent. ;D

Yes, sometimes a fungus is just a fungus.  I soak my feet regularly in bleach water and have been doing so for 20+ years.  Before doing that, I could never clear up the fungus or the horrid smell. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:11:18 am »

Thanks Ann, I was just curious about the night sweats and such.  Is that a common issue with recently diagnosed people?

It often is, yes. Well, recently infected people. It's because the body is still in the early stages of getting the virus under some semblance of control and high body temperatures and the resulting sweat is one of the tools in the body's arsenal. The aching joints he's experiencing is likely down to the inflammatory response we experience.

I tried the soaking in bleach thing for my AF but it dried my skin out too much (regardless of what concentration I used) and caused other problems, but it never seemed to really affect the fungal issue.

I've rarely had the smell problem though, probably because I was washing my feet so often, changing socks every time I washed, rotating my shoes (trying to not wear the same pair two days in a row) and also putting antifungal powder in my shoes as well as odor-eater inserts. I also go barefoot or only wear sandals or socks in the house, which helps keep my feet sweat free for much of the time. I only wear shoes outside the house.

Now that I've started ARVs, the AF is finally gone! I'll still be using antifungal powder in my shoes though - better safe than sorry!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 06:38:52 am »
Oh, and another tip for dealing with fungal skin infections: It can help to use an anti-dandruff shampoo on the area, and/or a soap or shampoo made with coal-tar. Soap or shampoo with tea-tree oil as an ingredient can also help. Antibacterial soap will help but only if you're developing a secondary bacterial infection from scratching the area.

I found that rotating anti-dandruff shampoo, tea-tree soap and coal-tar soap as well as rotating creams with miconazole, clotrimazole and tea-tree gave the best results, rather than constantly using only one type of product. By rotating, I mean using a different product every time I washed and applied the cream.

But again, these methods only kept the fungus down to a low roar. It's only been since I started ARVs that it's gone away completely and that's only in the past week after five weeks of ARVs. For those of you who don't know my history, I've been poz for fifteen years and only started meds recently (because my numbers have been good). I've only had the persistent AF for the past couple years. It  wasn't a problem when I was newly poz.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 06:51:33 am »
I had the night sweats after getting infected for about 2 -4 months, very strange since I did feel generally very well. After some time they subsided and now I dont have them anymore.
It got better over time and even without meds it stopped, then I had night sweats again when starting the meds for the first 2 weeks. Thought I was sick but I never came down with a fever or swollen lymph nodes so I didnt think much about it, strangely I didnt even had swollen lymph nodes during seroconversion just a hell of a stomach ache and fatigue. Never had joint aches.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:17 am »
I will pick up the miconazole or clotrimazole cream and give that a try.  My anxiety about starting meds is diminishing with the prospect of them minimizing the other symptoms.

Wolfter - no harm done, glad your here.

This lad thanks you all -

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:24:00 pm »
Ann;  Thanks for the tip - four or five days in and the miconazole (with washing twice a day and wearing a T-shirt at night) is working wonders.

Thanks!
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 06:37:13 am »
You're welcome, JM, glad to hear it's working.

Be careful to continue the treatment for at least a few days after the infection is seemingly cleared up.

You might also want to continue using the powder while the weather is still hot and sticky to prevent it coming back.

Good luck!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Rockin

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »
Speaking of skin, I noticed 2 small skin tags on my chin. Right on my dimple. It's a weird place to have skin tags from what I saw online but there you go...I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist on Monday, hope it's not serious.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 01:21:41 am »
Athelete's foot (mainly between toes), and seborrheic dermatitis are the main irritants for me, particularly the latter.

I think I've both for about 5-6 years now with brief spells of absence.

Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Tony912

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 11:59:31 pm »
For years before being tested HIV+, I had eczema on my right hand, specifically the "ring" finger of that hand.  There was nothing out there that would get rid of it completely.  My dermatologist prescribed some creams and lotions that would keep it at bay as best it could but it would never be gone.  Since taking my HIV meds, it has cleared up and and my finger never looked better.  Weird but "nice" side effect of all this for sure! 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.