Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:04:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 193
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recommended Vaccinations for Us?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline 0608

Recommended Vaccinations for Us?
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »
Hi, guys.  I just got my first lab results today:  CD4 = 307 (boo, lower than I hoped for), VL = 8397 (also lower than expected, but yay for this one).  I tested negative for everything else, like Hepatitis, syphillis, and a bunch of other things.  I also picked up my first supply of Truvada & Isentress (had no idea they were such pretty colors, LOL), which I'll start taking next week.

After giving me the results, my doctor recommended vaccinations for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and pneumonia, as well as a tuberculosis test.  I'm definitely going with the pneumonia vaccine and the TB test, but I wanted to ask for feedback in relation to the Hepatitis vaccines.  If I'm not sexually active (it's going to take me a while to get back in the swing of things, so to speak) and I have no plans to travel to any place likely to have contaminated food or water, is it still important for me to be vaccinated for Hepatitis?

I guess I'm just iffy because none of the high-risk factors that I've read on the Internet seemed to pertain to me particularly (which wasn't true in the case of HIV, obviously).  Any opinions or personal experiences with the vaccinations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, and let's all stay healthy!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:51:23 pm by 0608 »

Offline buginme2

Re: Recommended Vaccinations for Us?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »
Abso-F'inglutely

Hep A and B vaccine are aboslutely needed for someone HIV positive. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »
Since you can get Hep A from a salad ...... nuff said :-)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:47:02 pm »
zactly... considering how much people eat out these days I would think everyone would want a vaccine to protect them from those nasty restaurant workers who wipe their ass and then don't wash their hands
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »
I had Hep A before , probably from tossing salad . It was awful .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 02:33:04 pm »
I had Hep A before , probably from tossing salad . It was awful .

Me too (Hep A - 2001)
Oh, and Acute Hep B - (Circa 2003) - but I think it was from the Ranch dressing and not tossinged salad...  ;D

No need for me to get the shots - I immune ---- about the only thing going right these days  :-\
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:35 pm »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »
This reminds me I need to check titers for Hep B.  I created response to A, but not B.  They messed up the vaccine shots.  Although, I may have not created a response anyway, as is the case many times.

0608, as said, you can get A from food or from a door knob.  And, you may not create a response like me, so better to start now, in case you need to repeat.  I am hoping I created a response this time.  Like you, I have wondered whether B is all that important for me.  But, even though I am fairly sure my partner wouldn't go astray, he is human.  He's had the vaccines, but was never checked to see if they created response. 

You got your flu vaccination?  I am deciding when the best time is.  I have read it can lose efficacy as time goes on during flu season.  I was just going to wait until my Nov doc appt?  What about you?

Offline surf18

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »
get the B shots. I had hep b and it sucks. Just get it over with

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:21:27 pm »
Hello 0608,

These are the recommended immunizations, for HIV infected adults. I've had just about everyone of them, including the HEP A and Hep b series.

I get the flu shot annually. And  because my work place requires it, I get tested annually for TB.

I also get the necessary boosters, when needed.

http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/Recommended_Immunizations_FS_en.pdf

Take care----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline 0608

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »
Wow, I had no idea Hep A & B were that transmissible (hope that's a word)!  Thanks for the heads up; I will be getting those as well.

As for the flu shot, yeah, I'm definitely planning on getting it soon.  I'm going to ask my doctor about that.  At any rate, I guess I'll look like a porcupine or the Hellraiser come my next hospital visit...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.