Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Extremely stressed after an exposure, need advice  (Read 12116 times)

Offline zone0warp

Extremely stressed after an exposure, need advice
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:33:42 pm »
I had recently been to an asian (from erotic services on craigslist)  massage clinic and got entangled in all tis trouble. I think she was not just a masseur but a sex worker. What happened was:
We kissed very lightly on the lips (no fluids). I also rubbed myself against her from behind. Then my penis was rubbing on her vagina while she had her thong on. I dropped some precum on her thong while in the act, dont know about her. She proceeded to make me lie flat and then we mutually masturbated. I rubbed her vagina and had my finger inside for a minute. All this while i did not have any condom on. Is there any chance to contract HIV from her vaginal fluid on my finger that might have touched my exposed penis. There was no absolutely intercourse involved.

I had developed some coughing (after 3 days), and swollen tonsil (after 10 days for 3 days) after this. Worried by this i got a test done at the 25 day mark. It was a Uni Gold Rapid test and it came out negative.
Should I go for further testing?
She also mentioned that a negative test at 25 day mark means nothing. Is that true?
The consultant at the center asked me to come back at the 3 months mark and then again at the 6 months mark.

All this has no doubt hampered my personal life and my work.  I still have some coughing occasionally and there are some red spots on the back of my tongue.

Please advice

1. am i at risk? (low, none, high) What are my chances?
2. did my test mean anything?
3. do i need further testing?

Extremely Worried

Offline RapidRod

Re: Extremely stressed after an exposure, need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:37:05 pm »
You were never at risk.

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »
The consultant at the testing center however told me that the 25 day test means nothing and i am at risk. She specifically asked me if my hand could have touched my penis after i took it out of her vagina.

What should i do?  :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:41:58 pm »
You didn't have a risk and you don't need any testing.

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:56:54 pm »
Additionally, I am uncircumcised. Does that in anyway change things?

Is there any thing particular act besides intercourse during this whole incident (that might transfer HIV) that could have put me at risk?

I just want to make sure i have all the bases covered on testing any further.

Just so I have my peace of mind when should (if i decide to get tested) i get a rapid test again?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:59:39 pm »
Nope. The fact that you're a hoodie changes nothing, champion. You had no risk, you don't need to test. As for peace of mind, well we can't help you with that.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
I appreciate all your insights so far. Is there any test that can be done say tomorrow, that can once and for all relieve me of all my anxiety?

I know you have already mentioned that i was not at risk. However i hope you will understand my state of mind. Just the fact that i did not know her HIV status freaks me out every time. And on top of that she was probably a sex worker and not a masseur. 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:22:14 pm »
And on top of that she was probably a sex worker and not a masseur.

Look buddy, she may be a sex worker, but you're the customer of a sex worker. I wouldn't be getting all fussy about this if I were you.

In general sex workers in developed countries are committed to practicing safer sex to protect themselves from the sort of men who purchase their services. It's an occupational health and safety thing.

Irrespective of your state of mind, you don't need to test. There was no risk.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 10:25:53 pm »
She had poor English. Most of it was through actions and broken words. She said she is from China. 
Does that change any risks for me?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

And on top of that she was probably a sex worker and not a masseur. 

And the massage person kissed you because, after twenty clients that day, she found you irresistible? Of course she was a sex worker, that does not increase your risk.

People are not risky, behaviors are (or aren't). You had no risk.

That means whether she's from China or Mars, you were not at risk.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 10:37:07 pm »
Thanks a lot. One more concern is the stuff on the internet is confusing. I read some of it and a lot of them say that my kind of exposure is low risk.
Even the consultant said the same and advised me to get tested further. Should i just ignore it and get on with my life.

Appreciate your replies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 10:44:23 pm »
It doesn't matter that the sex worker/masseur couldn't speak English well. You didn't do anything which would have put you at risk for HIV transmission. Absolutely nil as far as risk in the situation you described.

For future reference it doesn't matter what someone tells you about their status. If you ever have a real risk such as unprotected intercourse, (and hopefully you won't), then getting tested at 13 weeks past the incident is how you know your HIV status reliably.

In relation to this incident you don't have to get tested. And the idea you have about some quick result test is mixing up a couple of separate matters. There is a reliable quick result test available. BUT the waiting time that has to elapse in order to get a reliable result on that quick result test is the same as if you do the standard Elisa: 13 weeks.

This is all information for you to store because in relation to what you've been worrying about needlessly it doesn't matter. No testing is necessary. Really.

Get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 10:58:22 pm »
Thanks a lot Andy. This has been my first exposure to HIV and it has change my life completely. The disease has been there for such a long time but we still dont have a test that can reliably detect it even in a week. A cure is not even on the horizon! Is there any particular reason for this?

I think a lot of people like myself need to know more about HIV, especially in my home country India. I am banking on your responses to be right and get on with life.

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:20:11 pm »
Additionally, i just read on your website that there is a theoretical risk of HIV from fingering. How much of this should i worry about in my case.

I didnt dig deep into her vagina and mostly stayed on the surface for very little time.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:51:48 pm »
The section of the Lessons you refer to says:

While it is theoretically possible that someone who has an open cut or fresh abrasion on his or her finger or hand can be infected with HIV if coming into contact with blood in the anus or vagina or vaginal secretions, there has never been a documented case of HIV transmission via fingering.

Note the last part. We're dealing with real risks here, not theoretical ones. On that basis I feel confident in telling you that HIV is not, in real terms, transmitted via fingering and you do not have to worry.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 09:57:56 pm »
I read a post about the false positive. How conclusive is a 2 month or 3 month negative rapid test?

Also, does one need to confirm a rapid hiv test with any other test if at all?

PCR/ELISA

I know that earlier you guys have assured me i do not need a test. However i have been having anxiety especially after the post about the false positive.

Has there been a case for testing negative in 3 months and then developing AIDS

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 10:41:14 pm »
Zone,

It's time you were clued in about a few things here.

Firstly, none of the latest questions you've posed are in the least bit relevant to your case. Why? Because you don't need to test. You were not at risk of being infected. That means you don't have to worry about false positives or negatives.

If you're feeling anxious you should seek the assistance of a mental health worker. We are simply not able to provide you with that sort of assistance.

Leading on from that, you will not be allowed to come in here and ask about every silly scenario that pops into you head.

You don't have HIV and it's time that you moved on.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:58:13 pm »
Ann, Matty, Andy,

Do i have to worry about HIV-2? Is it possible to get HIV-2 from my risk? If so what test do I undergo to get that checked?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:06:33 pm »
No Zone, you don't have to worry about HIV-2. HIV-1 and HIV-2 are transmitted in the same way. Since you've not had a risk it's irrelevant here.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 09:12:30 pm »
Guys,

I am planning to get married in December. I am just worried about that. I do not want to take any chance with another persons life. Do you think i can go ahead with my plans without any worries of HIV and testing?

I know i am asking again but i just want to be doubly sure about this.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 09:16:55 pm »
Zone,

Why would we tell you that you don't need to test if we thought that you did? We've got better things to do than lie to you.

You can get on with your life and get married. You don't have HIV.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 09:22:34 pm »
I am absolutely not implying that you all would lie to me. You guys do a great job here. To get assurance from HIV experts in the field is very comforting. I am trying to put this thing behind me now.

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 12:07:59 pm »
I know we have HIV ruled out here. Just wanted to know if I should get tested for other STIs like syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia. Is it possible to catch one of them from my exposure mentioned above. Thank you for the help. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 12:28:55 pm »
zone,

It's unlikely in the extreme that you caught anything from your massage. If you're worried about other STIs, see a doctor. This is an hiv website, not an everystiunderthesun website.

Please read the Welcome Thread and pay careful attention to our posting guidelines, particularly this one:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

If you need help getting over your guilty feelings about this incident, then please seek out some counseling for yourself. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 08:13:49 pm »
Andy, Ann, Matty,

Thanks for helping me out previously. I am out of it now and well on with my life.

Just have a niggling doubt here. For my information sake, if someone had taken cortisone (antibiotics) doses as a child for a disease many years (4-5), will that interfere in an hiv antibody test now (after say 15 years). So, in other words will antibiotics that far behind affect the test now (as in prolong the window period etc, false negatives), with no drug use in the middle.

I would really appreciate your response on this.

Thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 08:18:13 pm »
Cortisone is not an antibiotic, it's a steroid. Totally different sorts of drugs.

In any event your past medication use will have no effect on the validity of your test results.

MtD

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 08:45:07 pm »
So, if just for my peace of my mind i go ahead and get tested at 3 months mark, the past cortisone use will have no bearing on it , and it would be conclusive, right?

Thanks a lot.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 09:21:51 pm »
Isn't that what I just said? You must think we're stupid.

Remember the warning Ann gave you on 2nd October?

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

I believe it still stands.

MtD

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 07:01:08 am »
Zone -- I've given you your first Time-Out (28 days) for repeated postings about a no-risk event, even after your questions about risk were clearly answered.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline zone0warp

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 08:48:14 pm »
Hi, i am looking for some advice, so please Ann, Andy and the moderators help me out. My story is:

I visited a strip club 50 days ago, and was getting a lap dance. The stripper started to get intimate, and started playing with my penis and rubbing it inside my pants. All this was fine, but for a brief moment i saw her lick her hand and then use it on my penis. I stopped her at that and asked her not to use any saliva. Then she rubbed my penis a little more after which i asked her to stop. All this while there was no condom on my penis. There was no kissing, oral, intercourse. I am just concerned that the saliva on her hand might transmit something to me.

Please advice if i need to be concerned at all or tested at all for HIV. I am getting married soon, so i do not want to take any chances.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 04:21:24 am »
Zone,

You've been coming here long enough now to know that saliva is not infectious. Don't even think about using this from to wring your hands over your latest strip club incident. If you can't handle the guilt these situations engender, then seek therapy. We cannot help you with that here.

Saliva is NOT infectious!

NO RISK!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.