Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 168
Total: 168

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ron Paul's 2008 Campaign Manager Died Penniless and Uninsured  (Read 10973 times)

Offline edfu

Ron Paul's 2008 Campaign Manager Died Penniless and Uninsured
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:06:57 am »
After Monday night's Tea Party debate, during a Ron Paul questioning about health insurance, in which audience members ghoulishly and horrifically cheered the notion of letting someone without insurance die, it has ironically turned out that Kent Snyder, Paul's 49-year-old campaign manager, died in 2008 without insurance.  He had spent two months in the hospital and left an unpaid bill of $400,000, which was turned over to his mother.  His sister said he couldn't afford the premiums because of a "pre-existing condition."   The cause of death in his obituary was given as "viral pneumonia."   

http://gawker.com/5840024/ron-pauls-campaign-manager-died-of-pneumonia-penniless-and-uninsured

Not reported in the above link:  Snyder was gay:

http://lastfreevoice.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/washington-blade-covers-kent-snyders-death/

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Ron Paul's 2008 Campaign Manager Died Penniless and Uninsured
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:09 am »
Thank you for bringing this chilling fact to light.  

It is absolutely appalling what some Americans feel others deserve - nothing!

Also, its chilling the hypocrisy this guy lived and died within:

And so, what started in February 2007 with one laptop in Snyder's Arlington, Va., apartment, quickly grew into a $35 million campaign employing 250 people. In the fourth quarter of that year, Snyder raised a stunning $19.5 million for Paul — more than any other Republican candidate had raised at the time.

After Snyder's death, Paul posted a message to the website for his Campaign for Liberty — a pre-Tea Party organization which served Paul as both presidential marketing tool and platform to promote his non-interventionist, free market ideals.

He wrote:

"Like so many in our movement, Kent sacrificed much for the cause of liberty. Kent poured every ounce of his being into our fight for freedom. He will always hold a place in my heart and in the hearts of my family."

The mystery was - how did Snyder reconcile his need to working on a campagne that would never meet his need?

I have seen interviews with Gay republicans who have some interesting response to why and how that is possible.   Also there is always gross hypocrisy and elitist - yes for everyone else, not for me because I am above that....  The others will do as I say, and not as I do myself.

Two summers ago I was hosting Indian and American university students with Swiss ones and we spoke about the politics of health coverage in a country.  IT was an interesting conversation only because the Indians had a complete mastery of the stakeholders in the process, the economic challenges, and the human rights issues.  
The Swiss just took universal coverage for granted.
The California college students said, in a nutshell - "Uninsured Americans?  I don't care.  I never thought about it.  They can go to hospitals, can't they? We are paying for them, but they should work and buy insurance themselves. They are lazy. They are unemployed.  WE have the best health care in the world I don't understand what the problem is."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:58:56 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:20:50 am »
The California college students said, in a nutshell - "Uninsured Americans?  I don't care.  I never thought about it.  They can go to hospitals, can't they? We are paying for them, but they should work and buy insurance themselves. They are lazy. They are unemployed.  

I don't know if it is just Americans but people love to scapegoat. I went to get a pizza from Papa Murphy's the other day and noticed there was a "help wanted" sign in the window. I asked the woman behind the counter, Donna, if another employee, Patrick, had left and she said yes (Patrick and his brother had a $80,000 confiscated from their joint savings by the IRS because Patrick's brother was into some shady international dealings... which shows I eat way too much pizza). Anyway Donna said that in 2 weeks she had had only 6 applicants for the job. She blames Obama extending unemployment benefits because why work when you can sit at home, get food assistance and rake in free money. She went on to characterize the unemployed as lazy freeloaders. She then tells me that she knows what she is talking about because she was on unemployment for a year and applied to hundreds of jobs before she got the pizza gig. I pointed out that it took her a year to find a job and now that she has one she is criticizing people for being in the same situation she was in 6 months ago. Shouldn't she be sympathetic rather than critical? Her response: "No, most people are just lazy."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:33:47 am »
I don't know if it is just Americans but people love to scapegoat. I went to get a pizza from Papa Murphy's the other day and noticed there was a "help wanted" sign in the window. I asked the woman behind the counter, Donna, if another employee, Patrick, had left and she said yes (Patrick and his brother had a $80,000 confiscated from their joint savings by the IRS because Patrick's brother was into some shady international dealings... which shows I eat way too much pizza). Anyway Donna said that in 2 weeks she had had only 6 applicants for the job. She blames Obama extending unemployment benefits because why work when you can sit at home, get food assistance and rake in free money. She went on to characterize the unemployed as lazy freeloaders. She then tells me that she knows what she is talking about because she was on unemployment for a year and applied to hundreds of jobs before she got the pizza gig. I pointed out that it took her a year to find a job and now that she has one she is criticizing people for being in the same situation she was in 6 months ago. Shouldn't she be sympathetic rather than critical? Her response: "No, most people are just lazy."

It probably didn't cross Donna's mind that many people cannot earn a living wage making pizza, hence so few applicants.  I'm also betting that a pizza job does not come with health care insurance.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:32 pm »
Shouldn't she be sympathetic rather than critical? Her response: "No, most people are just lazy."

She appears to be a member of the "Party" where they gladly serve a lot of "Tea" and no Sympathy.

:(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:42:59 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:19 pm »
She appears to be a member of the "Party" where they gladly serve a lot of "Tea" and no Sympathy.

:(

I saw a bumper sticker the other day: "Tea parties are for little girls."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »
Anyway Donna said that in 2 weeks she had had only 6 applicants for the job.

Who the hell wants to work at a pizza joint for minimum wage?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »
Anyway Donna said that in 2 weeks she had had only 6 applicants for the job. She blames Obama extending unemployment benefit

Was slavery not abolished? Ah no, wait, Leviticus, burn the queers and enslave the Mexicans (but not Candainas apparently), it's okay to pay crap wages and offer no insurance I guess, cos the Bible somehow says it is.

Since pizza is really bad for you, I have no problem with it being really expensive and people getting a decent take-home packet (and benefits). It would be good in the UK. Then maybe Domino's would improve its offer.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:02:38 am »
As far as I'm concerned Donna shouldn't be working in the first place -- she should be home, pregnant and fixing her husband dinner.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:27:20 am »
As far as I'm concerned Donna shouldn't be working in the first place -- she should be home, pregnant and fixing her husband dinner.

Unless my gaydar is off Donna is probably a lesbian, so most North Carolina lawmakers would agree with you.

North Carolina Puts Gay Marriage Ban On May 2012 Ballot

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/13/north-carolina-gay-marriage-constitutional-amendment_n_960415.html?1315946185

WASHINGTON -- North Carolina residents will vote whether to amend the state constitution to ban same-sex marriage in May 2012, after the state Senate approved legislation placing the measure on the ballot on Tuesday.

The amendment would bar legal recognition of any union besides marriage between one man and one woman, including civil unions and domestic partnerships for gay and straight couples. ...

Republican leaders in the state legislature elected not to allow any public comment, which enabled them to fast-track the legislation to a vote and passage only 24 hours after it was first introduced. The state House of Representatives passed the same bill on Monday.

The bill passed by a 30-16 vote in the state Senate, in which Republicans hold a 31-19 majority.

Constitutional amendments do not require action by the governor, which means Gov. Bev Perdue (D) has no veto power, and the amendment will now go before voters in the 2012 primary election. ...

Same-sex marriage is already outlawed in the state. The amendment would block challenges to that ban on constitutional grounds.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:28:58 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:51 am »
I just read the article about the two-tier wage system in Detroit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/business/in-detroit-two-wage-levels-are-the-new-way-of-work.html?pagewanted=all

Which seems unconstitutional, or should be.

So I am sure the Libertarians and the Tea Partiers will soon enough hijack the Republican platform and we will have the "rational solution" (if not yet the "final solution") so that gays/lesbians, and muslims, and 1st generation immigrants who are not white, and teenagers, and children, all can be denied equal civil rights and equal pay.

Hey that way the manufacturing can trickle back in from the developing world.  Win!

Probably some money in building gated communities.  Win!

Ron Paul should read this: 

Mansfield's short story about the powerless who make the party possible, and live and die invisibly while the party must go on.  Its free and only 12 pages.

www.munseys.com/diskone/gardenparty.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_Party_(short_story)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:43:18 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:55 am »
I just read the article about the two-tier wage system in Detroit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/business/in-detroit-two-wage-levels-are-the-new-way-of-work.html?pagewanted=all

Which seems unconstitutional, or should be.

What's minimum wage these days? I think it was $4 or $5 something twenty years ago when I left the States for the Rock. I was making $10 an hour as the dye-room supervisor at Not Fade Away Graphics in Kingston, NY when I left. (NFA Graphics makes tie-dye clothing and does screen printing.)

It was a comfortable wage, but it didn't make me rich by any means and there were no health benefits available (I was covered under my husband's work policy). IIRC, they brought in health benefits for management staff about a year or so after I left.

Now these second-tier workers in Detroit are only making $14.65 an hour twenty years after I was making ten? Unless I'm mistaken about the cost of living increase in the past twenty years, they must be barely scraping by. At least they're getting health benefits.

edited to add, for comparison - minimum wage on the Rock is £6.50, roughly between $9 and  $10, depending on the current exchange rate.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:55:55 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 08:27:39 am »
I get the point that the workers want the job, rather than no job.
I get the point that "powers that be" say this is the way the industry can survive, rather than no industry.  Though I am suspicious on that one. But I suppose it could be true.

But in the end, two-tier wages seem unconstitutional because I thought equal pay for equal work was a civil rights issue.

Now it seems the "struggling working poor" is a sort of group (its not a sex, or a race, or a religious affiliation) who's rights are being trampled on.

Well Michelle Bachman's a mom and she knows, "What kids need now are jobs".
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:29:59 am by mecch »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 08:31:17 am »

But in the end, two-tier wages seem unconstitutional because I thought equal pay for equal work was a civil rights issue.

Seriously? Women have been getting paid less than their male contemporaries in the same job for a long, long time. It's improved a bit, but is still largely true.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 08:47:35 am »
Seriously? Women have been getting paid less than their male contemporaries in the same job for a long, long time. It's improved a bit, but is still largely true.
Yes, and its not fair and against women's rights. I am not up on the employment discrimination laws in the us, but I thought pay a woman less than a man for the same job is grounds for a lawsuit. 

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:05:45 am »

Employers can easily rectify that by paying everyone the lower rate. Be careful what you wish for.

Yes, and its not fair and against women's rights. I am not up on the employment discrimination laws in the us, but I thought pay a woman less than a man for the same job is grounds for a lawsuit. 

Few employers outright pay women less. However work is often set up so that men have a greater advantage than women. For example, Walmart forces their managers to relocate. Most women with children do not want to relocate frequently. So women with children tend not to pursue management positions where they have to leave their extended family, support system, school system, etc. The result is a man and woman start making minimum wage but after 5 years the man has advanced into management and is making more money.

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:54 am »
Gymrat, I get this.
I am just saying I dont like it.  Or the trend.  Who does? 

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:08:32 am »
Yeah, I'll probably end up Died Penniless and Under-insured @ the end of LIFE, but I'm not too worried about any of it, why? cause I'll be DEAD,  man is not truly happy until his death, then he'll be FREE   :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:12:01 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:16:54 am »
What's minimum wage these days? I think it was $4 or $5 something twenty years ago when I left the States for the Rock. I was making $10 an hour as the dye-room supervisor at Not Fade Away Graphics in Kingston, NY when I left. (NFA Graphics makes tie-dye clothing and does screen printing.)

As of 2009 the US minimum wage is $7.25hr -- in the UK it's £5.93/hr.

ps: I had no idea that the UK had no minimum wage law until 1999... how quaint

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20:42 am »
Germany still doesnt.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 10:41:54 am »
As of 2009 the US minimum wage is $7.25hr -- in the UK it's £5.93/hr.

ps: I had no idea that the UK had no minimum wage law until 1999... how quaint

Oops, I was out by 40p. Minimum wage on the Rock is £6.10, not £6.50. If you click the link, you'll see that's only for workers over 18. If legislation now in Tynwald passes, it will rise to £6.20 in November. I think we first implemented minimum wage when the UK did.

Off topic, but I'll throw it out there anyway - we also passed the Civil Partnership Act 2011 in March and it came into effect on April 6th, five years after the UK passed a similar act. Have they quaintly passed a similar law in Philly, Miss P?

Forgot to add - I can't believe minimum wage in the States is only $7.25! And most minimum wage workers get very poor, if any, health coverage.

edited because my formatting sucks today - and so does my spelling -  and memory!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:48:54 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 10:50:25 am »
How quaint -- Ann's trying to shift gears because she's embarrassed living in a place that was 60 years behind the US in instituting a fundamental labor law. Can you be a bit more tedious?

Now please excuse me while I go wash my sphincter in preparation for my anal inspection with Dr. Butcher in Wyndmoor. I have to even take a commuter train for this!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 10:54:11 am »
How quaint -- Ann's trying to shift gears because she's embarrassed living in a place that was 60 years behind the US in instituting a fundamental labor law. Can you be a bit more tedious?

Now please excuse me while I go wash my sphincter in preparation for my anal inspection with Dr. Butcher in Wyndmoor. I have to even take a commuter train for this!

No embarrassment here, Miss P Queen of Tedium. The reason there was no minimum wage previously is because by and large, fair wages were already being paid.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 10:57:01 am »
fair wages were already being paid.

Well of course they were, you filthy communist -- do you not believe in the free market?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:30 am »
Well of course they were, you filthy communist -- do you not believe in the free market?

Go wash your dirty little sphincter already. ::)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 11:02:09 am »

Minimum wage laws made it affordable for Londoners to buy matches and gasoline according to last month's news reports.  They seemed happy to me.  We only do this in Florida when a cop shoots somebody.  :D
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:41 am »
Go wash your dirty little sphincter already. ::)

It now smells like sandalwood :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:17 am »
It now smells like sandalwood :)

I just knew you could get your head up there!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 11:27:31 am »
I just knew you could get your head up there!

I thought this web-site was suppose to be GP-13, isn't that what the owner now want  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 01:30:38 pm »
Forgot to add - I can't believe minimum wage in the States is only $7.25! And most minimum wage workers get very poor, if any, health coverage.

Not all jobs qualify for minimum wage, which I learned when I entered the workforce back in 1982. My first job was working manual labor at a wholesale greenhouse (we grew snapdragons) and even though minimum wage was $3.35 at the time I was paid $3.00 an hour because it was farm labor.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »
Not all jobs qualify for minimum wage, which I learned when I entered the workforce back in 1982. My first job was working manual labor at a wholesale greenhouse (we grew snapdragons) and even though minimum wage was $3.35 at the time I was paid $3.00 an hour because it was farm labor.

I think minimum wage was around $3.00 or so when I started working too. When I worked as a waitress I only got around $1.50 as you were supposed to make up the difference in tips. Makes for a steep learning curve!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 04:24:37 pm »

Which is even extra weird in my opinions because farm work is about as hard as it gets.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:27 am »
Which is even extra weird in my opinions because farm work is about as hard as it gets.

Unskilled manual labor and they compensate accordingly.  I'm also sure this is done in order to help keep farming costs low/food costs low which keeps the cost of living lower for everyone else etc etc etc.

When I started working minimum wage was $5.15/hr just as an aside.

About the two tier wage system the only thing that is unfair to me is the fact that there is no established timetable for them to move up to the second tier.  It makes sense to compensate long term experienced employees more than their newer counterparts, but having that carrot dangling while the guy next to you is making twice as much money for doing the exact same job won't sit well forever.

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 06:42:43 am »
You missed the memo.

The point of this two tier is that the auto companies dont EVER want to pay the old union rates again.

It is about to happen to US postal workers.  

And I don't see our democratic President doing much to either educate the public about this threat nor to prevent its slow creep throughout that layer of "middle class" that exists because of living wages.  

Public school teachers will come after the Post Office.  (Chicago teachers are being pushed to accept longer hours and forgo raises.  I am quite sure rogue districts around the nation will soon announce a fait acompli, they have no money and offer to half salaries and keep teachers on, or replace them.)

Then health care workers.   It would be easy to fill "bargain" hospitals with well qualified techs and nurses and nurses aides.

Unless the dems come up with some ideas and some balls to protect a standard of living, I am afraid that todays "death of the middle class" will seem like a dainty cake walk compared to the annihilation that is coming around the corner.  

I don't know what the solution is.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:53:44 am by mecch »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.