Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 353
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: STD-HIV-Epidydmitis  (Read 12935 times)

Offline ScienceGuy25

STD-HIV-Epidydmitis
« on: June 25, 2006, 12:38:08 am »
Hey Guys

I'm a recently bi-sexual male, ie have only had a couple long term girlfriends but moved down to the big city for school and have had a few encounters with some dudes.  Anyhow the extent of these encounters involved a little bit of kissing and me receiving oral sex.

Unfortunately after one of these little sexcapades, i came down with all the symptoms of a bacterial STD. Increased urination, slight buring sensation, then developed soreness in one of my testicles.  Was going out of town and didn't have a regular doctor so stopped by the ER and was diagnosed with epidydmitis and give Cipro. Its been about a week now and the problem is noticeably better.

However now i've become really anxious over the idea of contracting HIV.  The thing is i've read your information and others that insertive oral sex is very low risk something like 0.5 in 10,000 according to CDC.  I'm actually in school (PhD) working in the field of cell and gene therapy.

So i guess now that i've bored you all with too many details, my question is does the presence of this likely STD increase my risk from these encounters.

(I plan to get a full STD checkup at my next checkup, since i wasn't actually tested in the ER for STDs, but the problem does seem to be solved with the antibiotic).

Thanks,
Your Friend
Probably unnecessarily anxious

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: STD-HIV-Epidydmitis
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 12:49:48 am »
SG25,

The thing is that STD's like chlamydia, gonorrhoea and NSU are much more infectious than HIV. They can be quite easily transmitted via oral sex, be it receptive or insertive. HIV on the other hand is not a risk for the insertive partner during oral sex.

My advice to you is to read our lovely Welcome Thread. In it you'll find links to our testing and transmission lessons. Remember that HIV is transmitted through unprotected anal and vaginal sex and sharing contaminated injecting equipment.

One other thing, numbers like the ones you quote are pretty much meaningless, especially in the context of oral sex. Take care and welcome to the AIDSMEDS Community Forums.

Kind regards,

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 12:51:32 am »
Forget that statistic. It is based on a single scientific paper that should never have been published. The insertive oral sex number was made up as a place holder as the lowest possible number, based on a scale in which receptive unprotected anal sex was the highest.

So you are basing your fears on the number generated by a study that realized that they could not divide by zero.

Because zero is the number of quantified transmissions via insertive oral sex.

And zero matches the transmission rate through saliva, even saliva tinged with blood, in primates, simians, and in the lab.

You do not, in short, get HIV through insertive oral sex. You can certainly get other STDs. But fortunately, not HIV.

As someone in the scientific field, I urge you to look more closely at the CDC and their rather selective use of quantification to further theor obvious abstinence-only (along with heterosex-only) agenda.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 12:55:53 am »
Wow thanks for the super fast replies.  Your comments on the CDC are interesting but definitly valid. I really had no idea how they came up with that number and being somewhat familiar with science and statistics i normally tend to be skeptical of those kind of numbers.

Unfortunately this little wild sexcapade i went on for a few months caused the irrational side of my brain to take over.  (well i guess wild is pretty subjective  :)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 12:59:30 am »
I'm glad we could help.

Probably your fears have more to do with you coming to terms with the queer aspect of your sexuality than any real risk of HIV transmission. Use condoms and water based lube when you have anal (and indeed vaginal) sex and you'll be able to enjoy the full spectrum of your sexuality without fear of HIV infection.

Regards,

MtD

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 01:04:14 am »
I suppose that could definitly be part of it.  I think the whole epdidymitis thing just really freaked me out as well. I had only been in a couple long term relationships.  Moved down to the city, had a few encounters and caught something....really caused the mind to start playing games on me.

So i'm thinking i'll still get tested at the 3 month mark since i've never been...

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 01:11:05 am »
SG25,

Anyone who is sexually active should be screened for HIV and other STD's at least once a year. Twice is better. Given that your exploring your sexuality getting tested for everything about now sounds like a wise idea. Since your fun times with guys haven't placed you at risk of HIV infection and provided that the last time you had unprotected sex with your last girlfriend was 12-13 weeks or more ago, you can go and have an HIV antibody test right now and be assured that the result is legit.

Remember to consult our Welcome Thread. It contains EVERYTHING you need to know about HIV/AIDS.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:19:16 am »
I honestly think that the most responsible thing an adult can do, who is sexually active with partner(s) of unknown status, is to get him/herself tested every six months. Not only for HIV, but a full panel of STD tests.

You have NO IDEA how many people come here convinced they have HIV, spend MONTHS testing negative, and experiencing symptoms, until they FINALLY get a full STD panel and discover they have syphilis or some other easily curable, but potentially devastating STD.

Boggles the mind.

If nothing else, I hope you can take this as an object lesson as to how easily fear can overrule even a scientifically trained and astute mind. Amazing isn't it? The whole rationality process? Me, I rely almost exclusively on first tiered peer reviewed quantifiable data, preferably replicated. Yet where my friends are concerned, I am the first out of the gate with guns blazing, championing the innocent, ready to ask questions later or let God sort 'em out.

We all have our weaknesses. Least we can do is err on the side of nobility, right? When the time comes, and you fall in love with someone, assuming that you opt for a monogamous situation, I urge you to remember this fear. HIV is often used as a strawman to transfer guilt.  People think that because their sex was A) deviant by society's standard, or B) cheating on/deceiving their loved one, that they "deserve" HIV. They might not think that in the front part of the brain. But it's there, it's a nasty little monster programmed by the media and religion.

As you no doubt are aware, HIV is a pathogen. And as pathogens go, not a very robust one. Were it as easily transmitted, say, as syphilis, then our species would be in BIG trouble. Luckily, it is not. Not by far.

I congratulate you on your choice to get a full STD panel. trust me, when you have had four or five, as standard health checkups, the fear will subside. It's part of taking personal responsibility for your health, same as using condoms for penetrative sex.

I sincerely wish you the best of health
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 01:20:52 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 01:19:46 am »
Really, you don't think i should wait out the 3 months just to be absolutley sure about these few encounters?
The last time with my girlfriend was 6 months ago so that wouldn't be an issue.

Hey can i pose one more thing i've been thinking about. Do you guys know of any studies trying to modulate the CCR5 receptor for HIV infected individuals. The lab I work in does a lot of manipulations with T-cells mostly for blood cancers but I kept thinking what if you could modulate an individuals T cells to have the CCR5 mutation conferring some resistance to infection. 

**(Sorry i guess this isn't the forum for this kind of question, but if any of you know anything along these lines i'd be interesting in reading it)***  Trying to plan out my doctoral proposal :)

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 01:22:33 am »
Jkinatl2

Thanks very much for your extremely wise advice, I was going to say you have no idea how much better just discussing this with someone is making me feel......But i suspect you probably do.

All the best

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 01:25:06 am »
<<Do you guys know of any studies trying to modulate the CCR5 receptor for HIV infected individuals.>>

The CCR5 tests have had really disappointing results so far. The collateral damage to the patient (mainly organ damage) is extreme in almost all attempts to utilize this variant. At least, as it exists without serious genetic manipulation.

What do we want?
Stem cell research.

When do we want it?
Real soon.

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 01:28:19 am »
Really, you don't think i should wait out the 3 months just to be absolutley sure about these few encounters?
The last time with my girlfriend was 6 months ago so that wouldn't be an issue.

Hey can i pose one more thing i've been thinking about. Do you guys know of any studies trying to modulate the CCR5 receptor for HIV infected individuals. The lab I work in does a lot of manipulations with T-cells mostly for blood cancers but I kept thinking what if you could modulate an individuals T cells to have the CCR5 mutation conferring some resistance to infection. 

**(Sorry i guess this isn't the forum for this kind of question, but if any of you know anything along these lines i'd be interesting in reading it)***  Trying to plan out my doctoral proposal :)

Well since there was no risk for HIV transmission from your man-on-man adventures and the last time you had sex with your GF was 6 months ago, an HIV antibody test today will be 100% accurate. So why wait? Get it done son! Move on with your life. ;D

As for the nerdy egghead techy stuff -- you're right. This isn't the forum for it. But we do have some scientific type forums, like Clinical Trials where you may be able to post about CCR5 mutation and exchange geekly views with other like minded bods.

Fond regards,

MtD
(Who is a Linux Geek, but that's about it)

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 01:30:31 am »
Hmm thats too bad...In those CCR5 tests was it some sort of antibody or drug trying to block the receptor?
I know those things are not always as specific as they can be. 

Theoretically though one could relatively easily genetically modfiy patient stem cells to "knockout" the receptor.

I guess i could just as easily look into that study myself, but if you have any links or stuff you've read let me know!

Thanks again for your help with my personal problem :)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 01:32:24 am »
I really think the CCR5 stuff is a subject for Clinical Trials or a similar Forum. ;)

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 01:34:54 am »
By the way, it is my opinion that more geeks, of all varieties, could stand a little boost of emotion to bolster their support of/campaining for adequate, impartial, and thorough scientific investigation.

Once in a great while I throw a stick into the nest and stir, there myself. Apathy is an enemy we cannot overestimate.

Please come to the clinical trials forum with this. Scientists are a rare creature there, as are people who understand the fragility of research opportunities during this draconian administration.

Many of the people who ought to be marching the street and getting arrested are sitting, like frogs in slowly heating water, complaining whenever anyone makes noise.

We need noise.

But like Matty said, this is something we can discuss in that forum :)

Welcome Thread

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 01:37:03 am »
Will do guys............great to have met (well sort of) all of you.  You've helped ease my blow job woes..lol

Yes i'd be glad to move it to the clinical trials forum.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.