Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:17:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently diagnosed  (Read 5906 times)

Offline jaace24

Recently diagnosed
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »
Hey everyone, just looking for some support and encouragement with people with similar stories.  I found out on 1/25/13 that I was +, it was a shock but not really.  I wasnt good at getting tested because it seemed easier not knowing, which is stupid.  I ended up getting sick and was in and out of the hospital and finally they did an HIV test.  Well 2 weeks later I got all of my results back and my CD4 was 53 and VL 380,000.  I went on Prezista, Truvada, & Norvir.  They seem to be working great.  I am also on 2 antibiotics to reduce OI.  My 2nd labs came back as CD4 131 VL1437!!!  So that is great.  I will have my next labs drawn in 2 days.  Will be interested in seeing those changes.  I did develop thrush in the mouth and esophagus but that seems to be getting better and might almost be gone.  I did have night sweats really bad at the beginning but those stopped 2 weeks ago, which was exciting.  I do have HPV and contracted that about 6 years ago.  I am nervous because at my last visit they did a anal smear.  The result came back abnormal LSIL.  The ID DR said it is on the lower scale and to schedule an HRA to further examine it.  My appointment for the HRA isnt until 6/4/13.  Makes me nervous but I have to trust the doc and they havent been wrong yet.  It just worries me that I have had HPV for so long.  Anyone else go through this?

Offline buginme2

Re: Recently diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »
Hi there, welcome, sorry about your diagnosis.

It's common to have some anxiety in the beginning.  It sounds to me like your doctors are on top of things, sounds like you are getting great care.

The HPV and LSIL shouldn't cause you to be nervous.  HPV is quite common amongst those with HIV especially among MSM.  LSIL is considered low grade dysplasia and often does not require treatment, watchful waiting is the usual course of care. HSIL or high grade usually requires treatment.

Your wait time of 6 months until your HRA is not a worry.  HPV takes a long time to progress so your good.  I've had HSIL for a couple years. 

I think it's great that your doctor even checked you for HPV so early in your diagnosis.  Many HIV providers don't routinely screen their patients.  The fact that they screened you so quickly tells me that where you are receiving your care is top notch.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline jaace24

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »
Thank you for replying.  I just dont know how accurate those anal smears are.  I told my doctor that I had HPV, its best to just be upfront with everything.  As they told me at the beginning they are part of my new family.  They are excellent and didnt get bothered with me calling all of the time at the beginning.  I am starting to feel better and have gone on with my life like normal.

Offline jaace24

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:51 pm »
sorry did you have to do anything regarding your HSIL as far as treatment?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22:24 pm »
Thank you for replying.  I just dont know how accurate those anal smears are. 

They are pretty accurate.  They are just looking at the cells collected in the smear under the microscope for changes.

sorry did you have to do anything regarding your HSIL as far as treatment?

Yes. I've had the gamut.  Aldera, FU-5, trichloracetic acid, Infra red coagulation, and the HPV vaccine.   Still hasn't cleared. I go for an HRA every three months now to monitor and for more treatments.

Offline jaace24

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:49:18 pm »
Its good to know you are still thriving after all of this.  It is all just so scary and I know I will be fine.  Now that the doctor is following it for me, they can stay on top of it.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:57 pm »
Don't be scared it's really common and treatable.

www.analcancerinfo.ucsf.edu

is a great site from university of California San Francisco about HPV and anal dysplasia.   It's really comprehensive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:40 am »
It's great that you have a doc who's staying on top of your needs and responding accordingly. That'll keep you on a healthy path.

You're always welcome here to ask questions and to ask about anything that's on your mind. As you are already finding out there is a wealth of support and knowledge available to you.

Welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline jaace24

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
Thank you guys.  I know as long as it is caught in time it is treatable so it is good to be watched.  My doctor is amazing, I absolutely love her!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.