Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:23:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 640
Total: 642

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 3906 times)

Offline justchill

Advice please
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:10:20 am »
Hello to all in the forums!! 8)

i found out i was positive 06/2012 and have been on meds since 08/2012. my insurance paid for my med's up until now... i was a truck driver and that lifestyle was starting to wear in on me so i quit so that i could come home and try to find a job where i can be home more. Things are just not working out like i thought they would've so i've been almost a month without a job, most of the jobs that call me back are the same as what i did before. for anyone who doesn't know, i was usually required to be gone 3-4weeks at a time while only getting 3-4 days off at home. anyway i dont want to settle for less but bills are going to come around soon, and it's looking like i will have to man up and go back out on the road in order to maintain.
  i was wondering because these times are so stressful and i'm down to NO money and maybe 3 or 4 can goods in my apartment, i don't have a support system, or family to turn to so here i am. i am 23, i live in houston,tx, does anyone know of any type of assistance that i could get help from. my copay went up on my meds(i cant afford ) right now, and im eating at my friends house in order to have a meal each day.
   i know that if i went back and drove trucks that i wouldn't be in this position but im trying not to settle for that and go back to that unhealthy lifestyle...my stress and depression levels went up so much when i was out there away from home so much, not having any companionship and i just feel like there is no life for me over the road. i was drinking a lot more, sometimes just to get to sleep, when at home i dont drink! or smoke! i am so glad i kicked those 2 as habits, im trying to stick it out so that i could land a good local gig and still have some balance in my life...( oh yea, and no i do not have a car).
   times just seem so tough i have been through a lot....never felt like giving up as much as i do now.

thank you for reading, and even if all you can give is advice, i am receptive to some good advice off of the information that i have given...

Leo_ThePrince

Offline tednlou2

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:32 am »
Welcome to the forums.  I am sorry to hear about the predicament you're in.  It was hard for me to read what you wrote in yellow.  I think you were asking about assistance in Houston?  Yellow is good for highlighting black text, but hard to read when the text is yellow.

I know there are several members from Texas.  I think some are from the Houston area.  They may be able to point you in the right direction.  Have you had contact with an HIV/AIDS organization, or ASO?  I know Houston must have a big one.  Well, I would imagine. 

You mention your co-pay going up and not being able to afford it.  Have you had to stop your meds?  My brother-in-law drove a truck that took him away too much.  He found a job driving for a local company, where he does a regular 8 to 12 hour shift.  It is usually 8, unless they are busier.  He did take a little pay cut, but he is so much happier.  He was never home, and had to miss holidays, birthdays, etc.  The pay cut wasn't that significant.  I think he is now driving for UPS.  It may be a wood flooring company.  I should know, but he had to change a few times, until he was happy with the pay and schedule.  He use to drive for Pepsi, but said they cut pay and benefits. 

Don't give up.  It has been several years, since I barely had anything in the pantry and fridge, and my electric was being shut off in winter.  I can't imagine what that would be like now, living with HIV and depression.  It would be too much.  It is good you have at least one person to turn to for help.

Have you tried the unemployment office?  I think my brother-in-law just began sending out resumes to any company he could think of that would have drivers.  You may want out of the driving business all together.  I think you said you're 23?  You're still young enough to totally go in a different direction, if you want.  I mean, anyone can.  It just gets harder, when you're older and all your job history is in one field. 

Wish I could be of help.  I hope you don't have to return to a job that you don't like, and is not good for you.  Stay in touch.  I am sure other members will be along with good advice. 

Offline Danigirl

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:45 am »
Hello, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  My husband was diagnosed HIV+ just 3weeks ago.  It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions since then.  Anyway, we live in Houston too.  Just last week someone from the Dept. of Health and Human Services showed up at our door.  At first I was a little taken back because of how they just showed up out of the blue but he said that their office can help if we could not afford the medication or need help finding a appropriate doctor, etc.  We do not need their services at this time but you may want to check out to see if there is anything they can do for you.
 Good luck

Offline justchill

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:01:50 pm »
Hello you all, sorry about the YELLOW, i was meaning to do a highlight instead of changing the letter colors.
  i have my ups and downs and when the health department did show up they left information on docs ect, ect...but at the time i was thriving i wasn't in need of any typpe of assistance, it's only because of this transition that i am making with my working situations thats causing the financial crunch. @danigirl, i was fortunate enough to be away when they were coming by my place looking for me but from what i heard, they are pretty discreet with coming to your home(the health department). i will have to crack the whip and start doing my GOOGLE/research on programs that can help me i was thinking there may be someone out there who has already gone through the channels to cut me a lil slack but not everything is easy right.  @tednlou2 no i have not had to stop taking my meds... i have one more 30day supply before im totally out...by then hopefully my taxes will have come back and then i would be fine... thanks for reading and responding.
Leo_ThePrince

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.